Очередной a/the

Обсуждение вопросов, нюансов и тонкостей грамматики английского языка любого уровня.

Модератор: zymbronia

Kind_Punk
Благодарил (а): 172 раза

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Olya пишет: 08 дек 2022, 16:46Думаю
Не надо лишних сущностей )

- used to refer to a thing in general rather than a particular example

He taught himself to play the violin.
The dolphin is an intelligent animal.
They placed the African elephant on their endangered list.
I heard it on the radio.
I'm usually out during the day.

(oald)

- used before a singular noun when making a general statement about people or things of a particular type

The average university student is not very interested in politics.
People have come to depend on the car as their only means of transport.

(mcm)
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

acapnotic пишет: 05 дек 2022, 09:13 Такой или тот? Вот что тут меняет выбор артикля.
Alone. That's a marvelous thing—being alone. We don't fully appreciate it. And I have the funniest damned feeling that we're coming into an era where no one will let you alone or have respect for your privacy.
... входим в (такую - описывается, но не "в ту" - указывается на) эру, когда...
Once again: thanks so much for the great tip :)
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

VictorB, you are welcome. :)
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 07 дек 2022, 07:52 (Если честно, текст кринжовый, конечно. :-))
Easy-Breezy English, an off-topic comment this one may be, but once the opinion of the style it was written in seems to have been given on reading one single paragraph from a nearly 700-page book, I just can't but wonder what you'd say about the writing style of the author who'd written the following darkly humorous passage:
СпойлерПоказать
Larch delivered his first child to a Lithuanian family in a coldwater, top-floor apartment–the surrounding streets littered with squashed fruit and tattered vegetables and horse droppings. There was no ice to put on the abdomen, over the uterus, in case of postpartum hemorrhage. There was a pot of water already boiling on the stove, but Larch wished he could sterilize the entire apartment. He sent the husband out for ice. He measured the woman's pelvis. He mapped out the fetus. He listened to its heartbeat while he watched a cat toying with a dead mouse on the kitchen floor.

There was a would-be grandmother present; she spoke Lithuanian to the woman in labor. To Dr. Larch she spoke a strange language of gestures, which suggested to him that the would-be grandmother was feebleminded. She indicated that a large mole on her face was either a source of hysterical pleasure or hysterical pain—Larch couldn't tell which; perhaps she simply wanted him to remove it, either before or after he delivered the baby. She found several ways to exhibit the mole–once by holding a spoon under it, as if it were about to fall; once capping it with a teacup and revealing it suddenly, as if it were a surprise or a kind of magician's trick. But the zeal she brought to each revelation of the mole suggested to Wilbur Larch that the old woman simply forgot that she had already shown him her mole.

When the husband returned with the ice, he trod on the cat, which voiced its disapproval in tones that made Wilbur Larch think the child was being born. Larch was grateful not to have to use the forceps; it was a short, safe, loud delivery, following which the husband refused to wash the baby. The grandmother offered, but Larch feared that her combination of excitement and feeblemindedness would cause an accident. Indicating (as well as he could, without the benefit of Lithuanian) that the child should be washed in warm water and soap–but not boiled in the pot on the stove, and not held head down under the coldwater tap–Larch turned his attention to the afterbirth, which refused to come away. The way the patient kept bleeding, Larch knew he would soon be faced with serious hemorrhage.

He begged the husband to hack him some ice–the strong fellow had brought a whole block, borrowing the ice company's tongs for this purpose and standing in the kitchen with the tongs on his shoulder in a menacing fashion. The block of ice could cool the uteri of several bleeding patients; to apply it whole, to a single patient, would likely crush the uterus, if not the patient. At this moment the grandmother lost her grip on the soapy child and dropped it among the dishes soaking in the coldwater sink; this happened the instant that the husband again trod upon the cat.

Seizing the moment, when he saw that the grandmother and the husband were distracted, Larch grasped the top of his patient's uterus through her abdominal wall and squeezed hard. The woman screamed and grabbed his hands; the grandmother, abandoning the baby among the dishes, tackled Larch at the waist and bit him between the shoulder blades. The husband retrieved the child from the sink with one hand, but he raised the ice tongs over Larch with the other. Whereupon, lucky Wilbur Larch felt the placenta separate. When he calmly pointed to its appearance, the grandmother and the husband seemed more in awe of it than of the child. After washing the baby himself and giving the mother some ergot, he bowed a wordless goodbye. Leaving the apartment, he was surprised to hear a commotion almost the instant he closed the door: the grandmother, the iced patient, the husband–all shouting in Lithuanian–and the baby giving forceful voice to its first family quarrel. It was as if the delivery, and Dr. Larch's entire appearance, had been only a brief interruption to a life of unintelligible turmoil.

Larch navigated the dark stairs and groped his way outside; he stepped on a rotting head of lettuce, which gave under his foot with the disquieting softness of a newborn baby's skull. This time he did not confuse the cat's terrible yowl with the sounds a child can make. He looked up in time to see the object flying through the window of the Lithuanian apartment. He was in time to dodge it. It had clearly been hurled at him, and Larch wondered what particular, perhaps Lithuanian, offense he had caused these poor people. Larch was shocked to see that the object thrown from the window–and now dead on the ground at his feet–was the cat. But he was not that shocked; for a passing second, he feared it might have been the child. He had been told by his professor of obstetrics at Harvard that 'the tensile strength of the newborn' was 'a marvel,' but Larch knew that the tensile strength of a cat was also considerable and he noted that the beast had failed to survive its fall.
Maybe mine is somewhat a perverted sense of humor, but I couldn't help laughing while reading it, no matter how you would estimate the quality of the text – cringey or not. And I'm still enjoying reading that book by Taylor Caldwell, which to me turned a page-turner once I'd gotten used to the author's style :-)
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

VictorB пишет: 10 дек 2022, 17:00 once the opinion of the style it was written in seems to have been given on reading one single paragraph from a nearly 700-page book
This again? Seriously??? :-)
I’m sure Caldwell was a master of her genre, someone akin to Дарья Донцовa of her day. I have no problem with people liking this kind of writing. Heck, I watch the cringiest chick flicks and savor every moment. It doesn’t make them any less cheesy, though.

Those few lines have all the earmarks of a typical mass market style. A clichéd setup - the City Dweller and the Villager. Check. They watch birds and ponder the great unknown. Can you think of a more hackneyed scene development? Gaudy descriptions overloaded with florid adjectives. Check. Verbosity where a few sharper words would be more impactful. Check. And on it goes. It’s so strikingly typical that I don’t need another hundred pages to figure out what I’m dealing with.

Here, you can unleash the fury of your wrath upon me now. I hope you won’t, though. :-)
VictorB пишет: 10 дек 2022, 17:00 I just can't but wonder what you'd say about the writing style of the author
Reads like Boris Vian, albeit seriously watered down. But it's been years since I read Vian, I have to admit.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 10 дек 2022, 18:29 This again? Seriously??? :-)
Oh, my, Easy-Breezy English, if my silly question made you that exasperated, I'm dreadfully sorry for having posted it. Otherwise, please just take it as my way of saying hello to you. :-)
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 10 дек 2022, 18:29 A clichéd setup - the City Dweller and the Villager.
I don't think it's as simple as that—not if one has read a bit earlier in the text and keeps reading further.
Anyway, you did reply and now I've read what I hoped to read. Thank you very much.
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 10 дек 2022, 18:29 you can unleash the fury of your wrath upon me now. I hope you won’t, though. :-)
I'm laughing out loud, considering even a theoretical possibility of my intention to ever do so.)))
Whatever you're writing in English here—and don't I, too, ensnare you with my silly questions and comments into writing in it?—to me, it has always been a sheer enjoinment to read it and, of course, of practical use.
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 10 дек 2022, 18:29 Reads like Boris Vian, albeit seriously watered down. But it's been years since I read Vian, I have to admit.
It's from John Irving's The Cider House Rules. I seem to take a liking—I don't know why—to novels with a medical line.
I've never tried The Final Diagnosis by Arthur Hailey, so I've put it on my reading list, too.
Re: Boris Vian, you can't mean this one, can you?
Or you mean the French-to-English translations of his books?
Or there's his namesake whose works written in English are stronger than those written by John Irving?
Or you're just pulling my leg or taking me, friendly, for a ride? :-)))
Easy-Breezy English

VictorB пишет: 10 дек 2022, 20:59 Boris Vian, you can't mean this one, can you?
That's the one. I caught a similar vibe somehow.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 11 дек 2022, 12:06 That's the one.
A more thorough search shows that at least two of his books were translated into English and published under the titles of Heartsnatcher and Froth on the Daydream.
As for the Russian translations, most of his literary work (short stories, plays, and poetry included) is available on the net for reading, listening to as audiobooks, and downloading. I couldn't find anything translated into English, though.
Thanks for mentioning the name :)
Fiola
Благодарил (а): 180 раз

Сообщение Fiola »

Коллеги, приветствую. Возник такой вопрос. В грамматике Murphy уровня intermediate 4-e издание в теме предлогов есть такой пример-- we are flying AT А speed of 800 kilometres ....etc. С предлогом все понятно, а почему перед speed неопределенный артикль? Ведь там дальше указана конкретная скорость, и в таких of-phrases обычно используют the. Или это устойчивое выражение именно со словом speed? Кто что думает?
Siberian473
Благодарил (а): 99 раз

Сообщение Siberian473 »

Fiola, спросил у ChatGPT:

The definite article “the” should not be used with speed unless it is followed by a modifier, such as “the speed of light” or “the speed limit”.

We use the definite article ‘the’ when we talk about something that is already known to the listener or reader, or that has been previously mentioned, introduced or discussed. For example, we can say “the speed of light” because it is a specific and well-known speed. However, in the sentence “We are flying at a speed of 800 kilometres”, the speed is not specific or known. It is just one of many possible speeds. Therefore, we should not use ‘the’ in this case.
За это сообщение автора Siberian473 поблагодарил:
Fiola
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3371 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Fiola пишет: 28 мар 2023, 17:39 С предлогом все понятно
Да, там смысл "на уровне": at a certain level...
Fiola пишет: 28 мар 2023, 17:39 почему перед speed неопределенный артикль? Ведь там дальше указана конкретная скорость, и в таких of-phrases обычно используют the. Или это устойчивое выражение именно со словом speed?
Это "неопределённый артикль ориентира", - в том слегка "нелогичном" употреблении, когда говорится о вполне определённом уровне чего-то, но оформляется оно всё равно с неопределённым артиклем:
at a speed of 60 mph, at a distance of 300 meters, at a height of 2000 meters, etc. Так же и с другими измерениями (уровня).
СпойлерПоказать
the pump delivers the water at a rate of 300 l/hr
The lower forecasts assume that GDP will grow at a rate of 3% per annum until 1985 and at a rate of 2% per annum thereafter and that real petrol and derv prices will increase at a rate of 3.9% per annum until 1985 and at a rate of 5.4% ...
Only at a frequency of 10 Hz did the pressure pulsation at the slice contain substantial energy as well as having a good coherence.
In studies in which mice and rats were administered diazepam in the diet at a dose of 75 mg/kg/day (approximately 6 and 12 times, respectively, ...
When the system is exposed to wind, cable guides for flexible carriers shall be installed at a minimum spacing of 25 feet (7.6 m) and maximum spacing of 40 ...
Remember that sick pay is capped at a maximum of €110 a day.
The beacon should be mounted at a height of at least 7 feet clear above the pavement except in cases where there is no possibility of pedestrians striking it, in which case the mounting height may be as low as desired but should not be ...
The area of a rectangle with a width of 12 feet and a length of 10 feet is 120 square feet.
A rock, with a depth of less than 1.8m, lies in the vicinity of a detached shoal, with a depth of 5.5m, located close NE of the island.
These two birds were killed at an age of 30 days because it was observed that they would not survive much longer.

Но:
at the age of five he learned how to ride a bike, но at an age of 60-70
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
Fiola
Easy-Breezy English

Fiola пишет: 28 мар 2023, 17:39 там дальше указана конкретная скорость
Но таких скоростей может быть много. Сегодня мы пролетели со скоростью 800 км/час, завтра вы, послезавтра кирпич, потом опять мы. А вот у света скорость всегда одна и свет тоже один, поэтому the speed of light.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
Fiola
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Fiola пишет: 28 мар 2023, 17:39 Ведь там дальше указана конкретная скорость
Note that in "we are flying at a speed of..." example, 800 kilimeters per hour is a speed meaning how fast the plane is moving, whereas in "at the speed of light", light is not a speed, the whole expression meaning the rate at which light travels.
Siberian473 пишет: 28 мар 2023, 18:07 спросил у ChatGPT
Hу, наверное еще можно было в словаре посмотреть.
Also, here :-)
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 28 мар 2023, 23:45 А вот у света скорость всегда одна и свет тоже один, поэтому the speed of light.
What about at the speed of thought? Разве все одинаково быстро соображают?
А как на счет скорости лошади, бегущей галопом? At (a или the?) speed of a galloping horse? А с пулей как будет? Выпущенная из винтовки побыстрее той, что из пистолета летит, imho. ))
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 29 мар 2023, 00:20 Разве все одинаково быстро соображают?
)) В своих мечтах - мгновенно.)))
VictorB пишет: 29 мар 2023, 00:20 At (a или the?) speed of a galloping horse?
at the, как и со светом/звуком/мыслью/пулей
VictorB пишет: 29 мар 2023, 00:20 А с пулей как будет? Выпущенная из винтовки побыстрее той, что из пистолета летит
Это вы слишком пунктуальны к столь метафорическим вопросам..=))
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Yety пишет: 28 мар 2023, 23:26 Но:
at the age of five he learned how to ride a bike, но at an age of 60-70
Опа-на! А в чем разница с
Yety пишет: 28 мар 2023, 23:26 at an age of 30 days
?
A если age from sixty to seventy, то с "the"? Или у них так не говорят?
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 29 мар 2023, 00:49 at the age of five he learned how to ride a bike
А в чем разница с
at an age of 30 days
Примерно в том же, что и между at the speed of light и at a speed of 50 mph.))
Уникальное - "воспроизводимое".
VictorB пишет: 29 мар 2023, 00:49 A если age from sixty to seventy, то...
...с A, как я заметил.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Yety пишет: 29 мар 2023, 00:54 Примерно в том же, что и между at the speed of light и at a speed of 50 mph.))
Значит не в арабских цифрах дело-то... Блин, а ведь собрался было спать идти - теперь какой сон? Вот теперь-то как раз и пора - 99 )))
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
Yety
Easy-Breezy English

VictorB пишет: 29 мар 2023, 00:20 What about at the speed of thought? Разве все одинаково быстро соображают?
At the speed of thought = very quickly

Да, все соображают по-разному, но если вы это отразите с помощью артикля "a", то мне будет непонятно, какую же скорость из группы скоростей мысли вы имеете в виду. То есть вы в рамках своего высказывания сделали скорость мысли константой, чтобы передать мне идею мгновенности. По аналогии со скоростью света. То же самое с другими вашими примерами.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарили (всего 2):
Siberian473, VictorB
Fiola

Сообщение Fiola »

Кстати, с фразами возраста всегда идёт артикль THE--- at the age of 16 etc. То есть когда указано конкретное количество лет. Так у Мерфи. Честно говоря, для меня неопределенный артикль со скоростью нелогичен, я не понимаю разницу между цифрой километров и цифрой возраста. Получается, только запомнить.
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Fiola пишет: 29 мар 2023, 10:54 с фразами возраста всегда идёт артикль THE--- at the age of 16 etc. То есть когда указано конкретное количество лет. Так у Мерфи. Честно говоря, для меня неопределенный артикль со скоростью нелогичен, я не понимаю разницу между цифрой километров и цифрой возраста. Получается, только запомнить.
Там выше про возраст было в #117.
Возраст индивидуума - вещь уникальная, в одну реку нельзя, не зная броду...))
Но бывают контексты, где говорится о возрасте какого-то подопытного объекта - там по общему правилу, с неопределённым артиклем:
Yety пишет: 28 мар 2023, 23:26 These two birds were killed at an age of 30 days because it was observed that they would not survive much longer.
Так же с неопределённым - при указании на возрастные рамки (at an age of 60-70), что вполне логично.
Fiola
Easy-Breezy English

Fiola пишет: 29 мар 2023, 10:54 с фразами возраста всегда идёт артикль THE--- at the age of 16 etc.
Ну, не совсем всегда, но в большинстве случаев. В контексте жизни одного человека 21 год случается только один раз, к моему большому сожалению. То есть это уникальное событие.
Fiola пишет: 29 мар 2023, 10:54 я не понимаю разницу между цифрой километров и цифрой возраста.
Смотрите, вы сегодня проехали по шоссе со скоростью 90 км/ч. На следующий день был дождь, вы снизили скорость до 80, а потом распогодилось, и вы опять разогнались до 90. А еще вы ездили на поезде со скоростью 90 км/ч, а еще, может быть, на какой-нибудь безумной супер-лошади проскакали с той же скоростью. Таким образом, это не уникальное, а повторяющееся в разных ситуациях событие. В отличие от возраста, хнык-хнык. И эти ситуации образуют группу.
Fiola

Сообщение Fiola »

Easy-Breezy English, спасибо за столь детальное пояснение. Но вот смотрите--- сегодня человеку 16 лет, в следующем году будет 17, а через 10 лет-- 26. То есть тоже изменяющаяся ситуация. Хотя частота изменения, конечно, отличается от скорости. Пытаюсь уразуметь эту особенность. Ещё хочется спросить не по теме, мне очень важно-- я пару месяцев назад задавала вопросы насчёт спорных моментов в теме Грамматика, и мне очень толково отвечали. Сейчас хотела освежить эти ответы -- а они недоступны, тема не существует. Куда все делось?
За это сообщение автора Fiola поблагодарил:
Yety
Easy-Breezy English

Fiola пишет: 29 мар 2023, 15:14 Но вот смотрите--- сегодня человеку 16 лет, в следующем году будет 17, а через 10 лет-- 26. То есть тоже изменяющаяся ситуация. Хотя частота изменения, конечно, отличается от скорости. Пытаюсь уразуметь эту особенность.
Но вам за вашу жизнь только один раз будет 17. Это уникальное событие.
А со скоростью 90 км/ч хоть каждый день катайтесь.

Со скоростью был бы определенный артикль, если бы человеку разрешалось на каждой проехать только раз. Вот один раз разогнались до 90, и все, больше нельзя. Тогда в контексте вашей жизни это было бы разовое уникальное явление, как возраст.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
Fiola
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Fiola пишет: 29 мар 2023, 15:14 Easy-Breezy English, спасибо за столь детальное пояснение. Но вот смотрите--- сегодня человеку 16 лет, в следующем году будет 17, а через 10 лет-- 26. То есть тоже изменяющаяся ситуация. Хотя частота изменения, конечно, отличается от скорости. Пытаюсь уразуметь эту особенность. Ещё хочется спросить не по теме, мне очень важно-- я пару месяцев назад задавала вопросы насчёт спорных моментов в теме Грамматика, и мне очень толково отвечали. Сейчас хотела освежить эти ответы -- а они недоступны, тема не существует. Куда все делось?
Похоже, в базе данных произошли некоторые провалы после известных событий января, когда провайдер подвёл...((((
Fiola
Ответить

Вернуться в «Грамматика»