Фразовые глаголы: помогите уяснить разницу

Как начать изучать язык с нуля, какой метод изучения языка выбрать, получить рекомендации по самостоятельному изучению языка, обсудить другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

Cepreũ

Сообщение Cepreũ »

Help me to understand these phrasals.
Verb+ prep = look after ( is an " preposition" but AFTER also can be an " adverb" meaning " behind"
Verb + adverb = give up / pick up (" up " can be both adverb and prep)
It confuses me.
Could u explain me these differences please.
Thanks a lot
Последний раз редактировалось Aksamitka 16 май 2022, 16:58, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Причина: Изменен заголовок
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3371 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Cepreũ пишет: 16 май 2022, 13:11 It confuses me.
Could you explain TO me these differences please.
Don't know why it should confuse you, really. If you know how to use these collocations, why would you care about how to classify them - a verb+preposition or a verb+adverbial particle? They even invented for your convenience =) a generic term "multi-part verbs" to avoid having to draw a line between the types, and the term "phrasal verb" is used for both.

Yet, it's a good question.
Cepreũ пишет: 16 май 2022, 13:11 Verb+ prep = look after ( AFTER is an " preposition"
Yes, you can compare it with other LOOK verbs used with various prepositions: look at sth, look for sth, look through sth, look into sth, look after sb, etc. They all share a core meaning changed only slightly depending on the preposition. The preposition remains unstressed.

And you might also contrast those with LOOK+adverbial particles: look ahead/behind/around/up/down/etc. Look it up in the dictionary. Their meanings are much more seriously altered by their adverbial particles. The adv.particle is important, so it is stressed.

Compare listen to me and listen in/up; stay with us and stay up all night; stand out of the crowd and it stands out very clearly, ...

As you can see, prepositions require an object after them (they are 'PRE-positions', after all), while an adverbial particle does not.
Prepositions relate to the noun that follows the verb - "forward", whereas the adv.particle modifies the verb itself - "backward", so to speak.
Take take off for example:
1. Take the book [off-> the table] - verb+prep before an object; the preposition 'belongs' to the noun.
2. The plane [took <-off] - verb+adv.particle without an object; the particle belongs to the verb.
3. [Take <-off] your hat - verb+adv.particle modifying the verb followed by an object of the whole collocation.

There's also a class of multi-part verbs which are a combination of the two types above, with both an adv.particle AND a preposition following the verb. These phrasal prepositional verbs can be further divided into two groups, BTW.
4. take up with: I don’t want you to [take <-up] [with-> the wrong crowd].
take ... out on: I know you've got a headache, but don't [take it <-out] [on-> me]!
Ответить