Как вы читаете книги на английском?

Обсуждение книг на английском языке, домашнее чтение, правила чтения на английском языке. Развитие письменной речи. Эссе, деловое письмо и другие виды письменных работ.

Модератор: zymbronia

acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Efl_unit пишет: 10 ноя 2022, 13:03 When we study we all do mistakes.
No, we make them. :)

Btw, did you use a translator to write your post this time?
Efl_unit
Благодарил (а): 67 раз

Сообщение Efl_unit »

acapnotic пишет: 10 ноя 2022, 13:27
Efl_unit пишет: 10 ноя 2022, 13:03 When we study we all do mistakes.
No, we make them. :)
There you go again)). Thanks!
Btw, did you use a translator to write your post this time?
Of course not. What made you think so? I write all my posts myself. I can only use my dictionaries for finding some words I don't know.
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Efl_unit пишет: 10 ноя 2022, 14:02 What made you think so?
That post's better English. It's much easier to understand than your first post on this thread.
alanta
Благодарил (а): 544 раза

Сообщение alanta »

VictorB пишет: 10 ноя 2022, 01:17 Peronally, I wish there were someone to correct me once in a while where I sound ungrammatical or not idiomatic.
There might be a problem with the idiomatic part because we don't have (m)any native speakers here. And here are maybe just a couple of people with high levels of proficiency in English (me not included, of course).
VictorB пишет: 10 ноя 2022, 01:17 but how can one know what exactly is wrong with their writing until someone tells them what it is?
There's one trick to check your own writig - just put the phrase you want to check in quotation marks in Google search and see how many, if any, hits you'll get.
VictorB пишет: 10 ноя 2022, 01:17 As for me, I was told that quite a few times; and athough I do try hard to follow the advice I've been given in this regard, I don't see any improvement - mine still remains a convoluted, long-senteced, unnatural, stilted style of writing.
Okey, this phrase :) I think, from the grammatical point of view it shoul be:
..I was told -> I have been told

And to make it a bit shorter:

As for me, I have been told quite a few times that my writing would look better if I tried to write in short and simple sentences. Unfortunately, I can't do it no matter how hard I try.
or
As for me, I have been told quite a few times it would be better if I tried to write in short and simple sentences. Unfortunately, I can't do it no matter how hard I try.

I'm not saying that my verion is better, I just tried to make it a bit shorter and easier to read :)
За это сообщение автора alanta поблагодарил:
VictorB
Kind_Punk
Благодарил (а): 172 раза

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

alanta пишет: 10 ноя 2022, 15:13 As for me, I have been told quite a few times it would be better if I tried to write in short and simple sentences. Unfortunately, I can't do it no matter how hard I try.
People told me that I should use short and simple sentences. But I just can't )
Ответить