Just yet another vocabulary test

Словарный состав языка, выбор лексических единиц, как учить и запоминать новые слова, тесты и задания на знание лексики, специальная лексика, словари и другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

I just felt like sharing the link, and that's that:)
Chaika
Благодарил (а): 6 раз

Сообщение Chaika »

the link doesn't work for me
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Chaika пишет: 17 ноя 2021, 17:59 the link doesn't work for me
Which I'm terribly sorry about:(
Chaika

Сообщение Chaika »

OK, works now.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Chaika пишет: 17 ноя 2021, 21:40OK, works now.
So, did you try it? If you did, what do you think of it? I mean that every time you do it, most of the rare words are different.
If you happen to have completed the test, how many word families did you, a native speaker, make? I'm asking just out of
mere curiosity, never meaning to even think of competing with an Anglophone:-)
Chaika

Сообщение Chaika »

I would have spent quite a while clicking on all the words I know,so I didn't do the test.
Johan
Благодарил (а): 9 раз

Сообщение Johan »

13800 ± 100. Автор теста допустил ошибку либо в программировании, либо в составлении списка несуществующих слов. Пару раз удивился, что я якобы несуществующие слова отметил, затем записал попытку (3:56):

Изображение

Без понятия, какие 2 слова оно не приняло, при том, что можно было отметить и больше, например fricked.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Johan пишет: 18 ноя 2021, 06:37 Автор теста допустил ошибку либо в программировании, либо в составлении списка несуществующих слов. Пару раз удивился, что я якобы несуществующие слова отметил
I agree, but it's never the same twice, I mean the program bugs - for example, in the "unknown words" column there may appear several of those that you might know, but they were not used in the current test...
Still, it was a new test for me, so I shared the link knowing for sure that someone's score would be higher than mine. There are quite a few walking dictionaries here whom I'd never challenge to a vocabulary-size competition, and you seem to be one of them:-) I didn't mark the words whose (near) definitions I couldn't get off the top of my head, though, even when I was nearly sure (or had that feeling of a somewhat vague acquaintance) that they were not false words.
Anyway, doing the test several times was not boring to me, and it helped to revise some words I forgot how long ago I'd encountered last time:)
Chaika

Сообщение Chaika »

13200 word families.

"Unknown" test words that were clearly errors on the program's part: map, opportunity, grill, nudge, turnover, goof, cirrostratus. With the exception of the last one, I think many people here know these test words. Not sure what happened, as I have no doubt that I know these words.

Unknown words that I think I really don't know: flit, mullah, polygony, superpose, tat, deixis, kirsch, outplay, vive
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Chaika пишет: 18 ноя 2021, 20:37 Unknown words that I think I really don't know: flit, mullah, polygony, superpose, tat, deixis, kirsch, outplay, vive
Outplay, mullah, and vive? Are you kidding us?)))
What about doo, por, bien, chai (чай?!), campensino? They were in my "unknown" column a couple of times, but are they English words? The one that I was proud of guessing the correct meaning of was "changeling", which I saw in this test for the very first time. I did make my12 K, too, so just to follow the suit:
СпойлерПоказать
Изображение
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Johan, Chaika, and how about taking this quick"yes-no" test? Would it seem too simple to you, too, I wonder - of course, not meaning myself by the second "too" but the previous test:) And it's not that I'm trying to ensnare you or anyone at all into measuring vocabulary sizes - I'm just saving the link for my or someone else's further use. Anyway, I thought you might find it worth trying :-)
Johan
Благодарил (а): 9 раз

Сообщение Johan »

VictorB пишет: 19 ноя 2021, 01:21 and how about taking this quick"yes-no" test? Would it seem too simple
This one is tough.

The non-words are more plausible, which takes away from my ability to rely on a mental image of the referent popping up as soon as I scan the letters. (I figure if one does, then I must have encountered the word before, and should be able to cook up a definition sooner rather than later.) Good stuff.

On the other hand, seems like it draws a uniform random sample from a set of headwords, which would explain all the obscure animal and plant names. I've had in my mind a vision of the perfect vocabulary test. Picture this: The generative model of This Word Does Not Exist spicing up with non-words some frequency-weighted test items, scored by the item response theory of myVocab *chef's kiss* Anyone happen to be looking for a weekend project? :^)

Oh and a couple recorded attempts with the words I didn't know:
  • mashie, hornblende, rootworm, exuviate, milkweed (2:22)
  • goliardic, algarroba, camorra, pinworm, aubrietia, gardenia, merganser, plowshare, anaptotic, boneblack (2:28)
aequ7mie
Благодарил (а): 17 раз

Сообщение aequ7mie »

VictorB пишет: 18 ноя 2021, 21:50 What about doo, por, bien, chai (чай?!), campensino? They were in my "unknown" column a couple of times, but are they English words?
Я не знаю про все эти слова, но слово ‘chai’ таки существует и означает какой-то специальный чай. Я это знаю случайно; есть такая библиотека для разработчика Chai, вот я и заинтересовался.
Chaika

Сообщение Chaika »

bien, campensino

I saw a chart recently showing the second most spoken language in each US state. In almost all of them the second language was Spanish. These two words are Spanish (I am assuming the second is a typo and should be campesino). In about four states the second most spoken language is French.
Ответить