Cambridge learner's dictionary english-russian

Словарный состав языка, выбор лексических единиц, как учить и запоминать новые слова, тесты и задания на знание лексики, специальная лексика, словари и другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

Made_Of_Metal
Благодарил (а): 4 раза

Сообщение Made_Of_Metal »

Good day, dear professionals and amateurs! Here I am, again) I have recently purchased the above mentioned dictionary, but reading and comparing it with other dictionaries (such as abby lingvo, Google translation etc) I found that it has pretty different russian translations of the words towards other dictionaries, so my question is - may I completely trust and use the translations of the dictionary in practice? May be some of you has experienced with the book? How do you treat its content? I realise the book was composed by the Cambridge publishing house and it's supposed to be of undoubtable quality, but anyway... Pls, share your priceless experience with me)
GlebNoNePyanykh
Благодарил (а): 60 раз

Сообщение GlebNoNePyanykh »

Made_Of_Metal пишет: 13 ноя 2021, 09:15 I found that it has pretty different russian translations
Give us a for instance.
Made_Of_Metal пишет: 13 ноя 2021, 09:15 such as abby lingvo, Google translation
abby lingvo isn't a dictionary, but a container of dictionaries.
Google translate is a translator, not a dictionary.
Made_Of_Metal

GlebNoNePyanykh, here it is: resurrect (verb) in cambridge - возрождать (to make something exist again that has not existed for a long time), Google translation - воскресать, воскрешать, выкапывать (restore a dead person to life) for instace. My purpose is to learn by heart words that have most correct meaning and translation without relearning them in the future because of Incorrect or not full description of the words. Hope, I have expressed myself clear enough)
Made_Of_Metal

GlebNoNePyanykh, because of words like "resurrect", sometimes I have to refer to other resources to get it straight that the meaning and translation of the word are the same or really similar
GlebNoNePyanykh

Made_Of_Metal пишет: 13 ноя 2021, 15:00 in cambridge - возрождать (to make something exist again that has not existed for a long time)
resurrect has two meanings. Your dictionary gives one of the meanings.
Изображение
GlebNoNePyanykh

Unabridged dictionaries give even a third meaning -
res·ur·rect
Etymology: back-formation from resurrection
transitive verb
a. : to raise from the dead : restore to life
b. : to bring to view again (something forgotten or lost)
2. : to disinter or exhume (a body) in the character of a resurrectionist
3. : to bring again (a feature buried beneath sedimentary deposits) to the surface by erosion
resurrected peneplain
intransitive verb
: to become risen again from the dead
Ответить