Are there typos in the passage from an e-book?

Словарный состав языка, выбор лексических единиц, как учить и запоминать новые слова, тесты и задания на знание лексики, специальная лексика, словари и другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Here's a passage from an e-book:
It was real hick country, not another big town for 20 miles in any direction. But there were a lot of plowboys with a hankering for something stronger than Moxie after a hot day in the field, and a lot of young bucks out duding it up with their drugstore buddies. There were also some married men (you know them, friend, they might as well be wearing signs) coming far out of their way to be where no one would recognize them while they cut a rug with their not-quite-legit lassies.
I'm puzzled by "wearing signs" in the underlined part of the sentence and wondering whether there may be two in a row misprints for "[wedding] rings" there.
I did come across the expression "'show signs of wear" more often than once", but has it anything to do with the phrase in question? If yes, I can't figure out what.
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

VictorB, they might as well be wearing signs that they are married. The implication is that it's painfully obvious that they're married even when they go to great lengths to conceal the fact.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
VictorB
Dragon27
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Dragon27 »

Just wanted to clarify that the sign in the expression is meant to be like a little board with a message "I'm married!" that you wear around your neck, or something like that.
За это сообщение автора Dragon27 поблагодарил:
VictorB
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Dragon27, signs of wear contrariwise means that something/somebody is worn to some extend, i.g. the jeans have some signs of wear like holes on the knees

Therefore, signs of wear have nothing to do with the signs in question (in the sentence above), therefore, "wearing signs" - is the same as "to wear signs"
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 05 ноя 2021, 19:41 not-quite-legit lassies
Might that have been the source of (or inspiration for) the notorious 'девушкек с пониженной социальной ответственностью'?))
😋
Ответить