Challenge your way to better learning (Reading Barbara Oakley)

В этом разделе вы можете принять участие или стать автором различных челенджей, языковых марафонов, викторин, квизов (quiz) и прочих подобных мероприятий.

Модераторы: Chinara, Delly

Challenger
Благодарил (а): 1 раз

Сообщение Challenger »

Hi everyone,

I was just passing by and was wondering if there is someone willing to challenge themselves to read through and apply ideas from "A Mind for Numbers" by Barbara Oakley (it's about learning in general, not just maths and engineering). Basically, the reading part will be more than manageable for anyone with basic reading skills while applying key ideas might turn out a bit more challenging.
Nevertheless, if you, and I for that matter, follow through with the challenge, we are highly likely (c) to become better learners. So, this is a bit of a CLIL (content and language integrated learning) experience, which will include tasks related to both content and language.

Feel free to let me know if you are interested. The challenge will start in mid May.

See you soon,
Ch.
Vladisla2000

Сообщение Vladisla2000 »

Actually I’ve bought this book for my book reader, but haven’t read yet. :(
So, why not to try?
For me it’s enough to only read it, but discuss it wan’t make it worse.
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

Challenger,
are you taking this course?
https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn
RidaDunaeva
Благодарил (а): 25 раз

Сообщение RidaDunaeva »

It seems interesting. I would read this book. I have this book but haven’t read it yet.
Challenger

Сообщение Challenger »

Mary May, I took this course - well, most of it, I guess - a few years back but never got round to reading the book. Now it's about time to fix this and not only read the book but also fish for the most practical tools and techniques it offers and actually implement them to develop healthier learning habits. In this challenge, we'll try to kill two (or more, if we are lucky) birds with one stone: we'll learn what it takes to master any subject, apply key ideas to reading the book itself, discuss how they can be applied to learning English (which may be different from math and science), and pick up some useful language along the way.

Vladisla2000, RidaDunaeva, thank you for your interest. I will be sharing more details in the coming days. Check back now and then to stay in the loop.
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

Thank you.
I might join you if I find the book (epub, preferably - to read it with Bookmate) and, maybe, meanwhile enrol for the course, too (my N-th try, actually).
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Vladisla2000 пишет: 04 май 2018, 18:00discuss it
What do you mean "discuss"?
I thought there should be some tasks to do, and then find out if you managed to do them correctly. Was I wrong?
Challenger

Сообщение Challenger »

Michelangelo, thanks for dropping by. There are challenges and there are challenges. I'm still in the process of designing this one so everything is possible. Including discussions.
За это сообщение автора Challenger поблагодарил:
RidaDunaeva
Ответить