The Reading Challenge AS2021 (+ Writing)

В этом разделе вы можете принять участие или стать автором различных челенджей, языковых марафонов, викторин, квизов (quiz) и прочих подобных мероприятий.

Модераторы: Chinara, Delly

Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

Итак, победителем голосования становится Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad by a one-vote margin.

Желающим участвовать в challenge предстоит прочитать книгу-победителя и написать по ней review на английском языке объемом 220 - 260 слов. Reviews присылаются [mention]Delly[/mention] для последующего выбора победителя путем анонимного голосования.

Deadline сдачи review: 9 октября 2021 года.
alex789
Благодарил (а): 368 раз

Сообщение alex789 »

Как я помню, идею я подал. Но реализация нерабочая. Толку состязаться, если и так очевидно, что победит сильнейший. Для привлечения массового внимания не годится.
Толку мне бодаться с теми, у кого С2 и кто этих review написал штук сто?
Челлендж должен быть таким, чтобы любой участник мог поучаствовать и имел шансы на выигрышь, тогда будет массовость и обсуждение. Ну, например, To Be Or Not To Be прочитать выразительно или типа того.
А так - да победит опытнейший!
Aksamitka
Благодарил (а): 761 раз

Сообщение Aksamitka »

Я надеюсь, там не стопятьсот страниц?)))
Zlatko_Berrin

Aksamitka, довольно короткая книга. Меньше, чем 150, если не ошибаюсь. =)

Завтра смогу прислать, если кому-то нужно.
Zlatko_Berrin

Ну, конечно, сначала вы в кусты, а потом
alex789 пишет: 10 сен 2021, 11:42 реализация нерабочая.
alex789 пишет: 10 сен 2021, 11:42 Для привлечения массового внимания не годится.
Имхо, у большинства активных пользователей B2+, а с А2 никто бы ни в каком челлендже не участвовал.
alex789 пишет: 10 сен 2021, 11:42 Челлендж должен быть таким, чтобы любой участник мог поучаствовать и имел шансы на выигрышь, тогда будет массовость и обсуждение.
А где ж вы раньше были, массовик-затейник? (с)))
alex789 пишет: 10 сен 2021, 11:42 Ну, например, To Be Or Not To Be прочитать выразительно или типа того.
И кто бы тогда участвовал?
За это сообщение автора Zlatko_Berrin поблагодарил:
Andrea
Zlatko_Berrin

По просьбам нескольких участников челленджа верхняя граница лимита слов увеличена до 500.
Delly
BeerMug
Благодарил (а): 108 раз

Сообщение BeerMug »

А чем закончилась затея? Или отзывы пока не проверены?
Zlatko_Berrin

BeerMug пишет: 03 дек 2021, 16:06 А чем закончилась затея? Или отзывы пока не проверены?
Да чем-чем... Никто Delly reviews не прислал.
BeerMug
Благодарил (а): 108 раз

Сообщение BeerMug »

Это печально. Вот бы услышать тех, кто хотел, но не смог дочитать\написать отзыв. Что остановило? Что изменить в следующий раз?
Zlatko_Berrin

BeerMug пишет: 03 дек 2021, 23:44 Вот бы услышать тех, кто хотел, но не смог дочитать\написать отзыв. Что остановило? Что изменить в следующий раз?
Я дочитал (чему тоже рад), но из-за незапланированной доп. временной нагрузки на работе не хватило времени, чтобы написать review до конца срока сдачи.
BeerMug
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Zlatko_Berrin,
Hey, isn't it high time you suggested a new challenge?
Only instead of writing reviews, which the net seems to be chock-full of, wouldn't it be better to suggest answering a dozen or so questions to check that the piece of work in question had been read through and thoroughly understood?
And does it have to be a novel? Mightn't anything shorter, say, a novella/novelette, or a long short story work better for a reading challenge?
Zlatko_Berrin

VictorB пишет: 26 мар 2022, 18:10 Hey, isn't it high time you suggested a new challenge?
Do you think it's worth it?
VictorB пишет: 26 мар 2022, 18:10 Only instead of writing reviews, which the net seems to be chock-full of, wouldn't it be better to suggest answering a dozen or so questions to check that the piece of work in question had been read through and thoroughly understood?
And does it have to be a novel? Mightn't anything shorter, say, a novella/novelette, or a long short story work better for a reading challenge?
Oh, I'm noticing a lot of inspiration and eagerness =D And you're full of good ideas. Do you want to host a new challenge?
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 26 мар 2022, 20:26 Do you want to host a new challenge?
For crissake, nope, not for all the tea in China!
I'm more of an observer or a humble consultant than a participant, much less the one who's eager to rule the roost. )
I just shared the idea with you, the TS, and that's that.
I'm open to a private disscussion on that matter, though...)))
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

VictorB, the horse is dead. Let it rest in peace.
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

acapnotic,
you know, if it was a short story, and not a book, I'd probably try to join.
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

"The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson?
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

acapnotic пишет: 27 мар 2022, 08:55 the horse is dead
acapnotic, do you happen to know that it's also a title of a book:))
СпойлерПоказать
It has been many years since I read this, but I recall it being one of the funniest things I have ever read.
Quirky, wickedly funny cult novel from the late 1960s. About a twisted and oversexed camp counselor named Nemiroff.
I read this book years ago and laughed out loud so much that people wanted to borrow it....and then I never got it back
Dirty-minded fiction. A fast read. Dad thought it was funny. I laughed a little.
If you can find a copy of this - read it. Might be the funniest book I've ever read. Ridiculous and hilarious coming of age story.
(comments on goodreads.com site)
If not, here's the link to read it online:
https://full-english-books.net/english- ... ead-online
It's a novella with the word count around 30,000 - not too long a read - of which I've got an e-book (ePub format).
On the Amazone it's The Horse is Dead: A Tasteless Novel
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
acapnotic
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

VictorB, no, I didn't know, but there exist so many books that any phrase has a good chance to be the title of one. :) Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a try.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 27 мар 2022, 10:10 The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson?
Easy-Breezy English, I've just read it to make sure, once again, that I'm a total ignoramus in literature.
And I'm really sorry to have failed dismally to appreciate duly a story that developes so predictably from the very start.
In this one it starts from the point when the kids are merrily piling stones in one corner of the square, choosing "the smoothest and the roundest" [i.e. best for throwing]
Also, I may be utterly mistaken but can't help suggesting that the sentence
Although the villagers had forgotten the ritual and lost the original black box, they still remembered to use stones.
alone might make quite a strong punch line, leaving the rest to the reader's imagination. I'd only added to it the first part of the following sentence: "... and the pile of the stones the boys had made earlier was ready." (end of the story)
As for the plot spinning around the proccess of selecting someone to be killed collectively out of tradition and just for the sake/fun of killing... Well, if that's what the author's idea of the story was, then I wasn't very much impressed. If there's anything more thought-provoking in it which I couldn't grasp, please, do hint at what I missed. Three stars out of five - just for the writing style I thoroughly enjoyed :-)
Easy-Breezy English

VictorB, sorry you didn't enjoy the story more. You gave the plot away, though! :-) Spoiler alert!
VictorB пишет: 27 мар 2022, 23:04 alone might make quite a strong punch line, leaving the rest to the reader's imagination.
I'm not sure about that. I think the pivotal theme here is the trivialization of murder. You wake up, go to the bathroom, commit a collective murder, get some groceries, attend a PTA meeting... All in a day's work. The act of killing is very mundane in this story, and that's what makes the writing powerful, at least for me. It wouldn't have worked if she'd cut it short just for the sake of amplifying the punchiness of the punch line.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 28 мар 2022, 10:30 All in a day's work. The act of killing is very mundane in this story,
Easy-Breezy English, and I did not miss that, but the topic seemed somewhat trite to me, maybe because I myself gave considerable thought to it when I was participating in the challenge of writing a 500-word flash fiction bit.
Then, I'd been toying with the idea of multiple killings as a part of one's (and their dear ones) daily routine. I can't explain why that idea came to my mind, but it somehow did. Now that almost a decade have passed since I wrote it, it took me quite an effort to revive that flash fiction piece of mine.
СпойлерПоказать
Daily Routine

"Children, please, stop that noise! Daddy needs a nap before going back to work.”

“Thanks, darling. Please, don’t push them around. They're just kids. Could you bring me something to cover myself with?"

“Of course, dear, in a moment.”

“Children, now please go and play in the garden! No, wait a second and listen to me:
Mind the flowers and don’t disturb the fishes in the pond. Now, out you go and don’t come into the house before I call you!’”

“Here’s the quilt, dear. Oh no, no! Let me wrap you properly. There you are. Are you comfortable? Will two pillows be enough? ”

“Two will do fine. Everything is fine. Just sit beside me, love. I want to hear your sweet voice which always helps me relax and fall asleep. Say something, do, please.”

“I love you!”

“Oh, sweetheart, don't know that! And I feel it every moment and I love you too. What do you think of our garden?”

“You turned it into a true paradise. There’s no garden nearly like ours in the whole community.”

“Yes, I love it too. Beauty and peace in the family is what our children should have around them every minute.”

“They adore you, darling. You’re so caring, so kind a father, playing with them every spare minute, and you never have raised your voice at them, these three little imps.”

“No child needs to be scolded, never and no matter what. A proper, calm word is always enough to make them behave themselves."

“Oh, you’re yawning, darling. I’d better leave you alone. When shall I wake you?”

“In an hour .”

“What' it going to be this time? Anything very tiring?”

“No. The usual daytime routine, just a couple of drop-hangings," he yawned widely. "Thanks for talking to me, love," a wider yawn "... now, you may go... leave me for a while... my dear..."

“God bless you, my heart, do rest. " She tenderly stroked his graying hair. "While you you're sleeping, I go watch them play quietly. I love you. I love you so much. Go to sleep, darling. Have a sweet sleep.” She tiptoed to the door, the expression of tender adoration slowly disappearing from her face.

When she was outside, she saw her daughters aged three, four, and six, slapping their palms on the water surface of the pond. They were giggling with delight doing that when she came up to them, now her face distorted by a sheer malice, and hissed loudly and menacingly:

"You three, did I not tell you not to ever do that? "

She paused for a few seconds, eyeing the frightened girls closely, then added in an odd, somewhat too even a tone:

"Next time I see you do it I disembowel and skin you, damned freaks of nature!" She spat onto the ground, turned around, and put on a loving smile again.

"Good God," she pleaded, "do send my beloved husband a son to pass on his trade to."

(500 words)
Thanks for the comment :)
Последний раз редактировалось zymbronia 31 мар 2022, 07:41, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Причина: правка по просьбе автора
Easy-Breezy English

VictorB пишет: 28 мар 2022, 15:07 I'd been toying with the idea of multiple killings as a part of one's (and their dear ones) daily routine
Some thoughts you get, Victor. :-) I have to say it's not something that I ponder on a daily basis. Or ever, in fact.
As for your story, were you under a lot of parenting stress when you wrote it? :-)
Ответить