past or past perfect

Модераторы: JamesTheBond, zymbronia

Dmitry
Благодарил (а): 6 раз

Сообщение Dmitry »

Доброго дня! Озадачен, что лучше использовать в предложении past or past perfect...

When she (had) heard the news, she became oblivious to everything around her.
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3371 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Dmitry пишет: 05 сен 2021, 23:42 past [simple] or past perfect...
When she (had) heard the news, she became oblivious to everything around her.
Самое очевидное - past simple, конечно, пч первая интерпретация - последовательные события (heard, then became).

Допускаю, что в каком-то списифиськом (верхнем) контексте можно представить плюперфект had heard ('и вот когда новость, наконец, дошла до неё, ...'), но в обособленном варианте как-то не натягивается.
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
Dmitry
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Когда я вижу это слово
Dmitry пишет: 05 сен 2021, 23:42When
, то уже ни о каком перфекте не думаю. Это как указание на конкретное время в прошлом.
За это сообщение автора Michelangelo поблагодарил:
Dmitry
Dmitry

Сообщение Dmitry »

Yety, Michelangelo, благодарю! С утра на свежую голову почитал ответы и таки да, обычная последовательность.

С перфектом было бы недоразумение вроде: When she heard the news, she had already been oblivious...
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Michelangelo пишет: 06 сен 2021, 10:36 Когда я вижу это слово
Dmitry пишет: 05 сен 2021, 23:42When
, то уже ни о каком перфекте не думаю. Это как указание на конкретное время в прошлом.
Это утверждение некорректно.
Ситуация гораздо интереснее, ориентироваться на такой формальный признак нельзя.

Замечание о том, что паст перфект с трудом представим в придаточном с when, касалось исключительно обсуждавшегося примера тс. Это не значит, что в придаточных с when паст перфект - редкая птица. Наоборот.

Дело в том, что у past perfect, кроме чисто хронологической роли, когда он подчёркивает завершённость своего действия к заданной точке отсчёта, есть функция подчёркивать отдельность своего действия, подчёркивать логический разрыв между двумя последовательными действиями, отсутствие связи между этими двумя событиями.

В случае с примером тс между двумя событиями she heard и she became oblivious есть чёткая связь, отдельности heard нет, поэтому логический разрыв, предполагаемый паст перфектом, был бы нелогичен.

Посмотрите на похожее обсуждение по ссылке и цитату из Michael Swan по теме:
Yety пишет: 17 янв 2021, 20:15
Swan-4, 54 past perfect: advanced points
СпойлерПоказать
1. past perfect or simple past with after, as soon as, etc
We can use time conjunctions (e.g. after, as soon as, when, once) to talk about two actions or events that happened one after the other. Usually the past perfect
is not necessary in these cases, because we are not 'going back' from the time that we are mainly talking about, but simply moving forward from one event to
the next.
After it got dark, we came back inside.
As soon as Megan arrived, we sat down to eat.
Once it stopped raining, we started the game again.
However, we can use the past perfect with after, as soon as, etc to emphasise that the first action is separate, independent of the second, completed before the second started.
She didn't feel the same after her dog had died.
As soon as he had finished his exams, he went to Paris for a month.

This use of the past perfect is especially common with when. (When has several meanings, so we often have to show the exact time relations by the verb form.)
Compare:
When I had opened the windows, I sat down and had a cup o f tea.
(not When I opened the windows, I sat down...: the first action was quite separate from the second.)
When I opened the window, the cat jumped out.
(More natural than When I had opened the window,...: one action caused the other.)
When I had answered my emails, I did some gardening.
(not When I answered my emails, I did some gardening.)
When I wrote to her, she came at once.
Таким образом...
When the airlock cycle had finished, the people outside her door walked away.

БЕЗ перфекта - с простым пастом - можно было БЫ понять так, что между finished и walked away есть какая-то причинно-следственная связь. А так - никакого света потухших звёзд наоборот, паст перфект обрывает возможную логическую связь между действиями.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Для меня использование when в значении "после того как" кажется нелогичным, поэтому я его так никогда не использую и оно мне режет слух.
Я его использую в значении "когда", и поэтому для меня эти события имеют связь, которые этим словом связываются.
В любом случае, Свон - это уже для крутых пользователей, каковым я не являюсь. Так, что я в такие дебри еще не забирался, а из-за редкого использования подобного я все равно не запоминаю.
Chaika

Сообщение Chaika »

the first thing that came to mind is when=once. "as soon as" didn't occur to me.

You guys are really sharp to be able to understand these fine points, not to mention cite sources! I can't.To paraphrase somebody, I don't know grammar but I know what I like (what sounds correct to me).
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Chaika, You can feel the difference between "once" and "as soon as", but I cannot. Sometimes I prefer using "once", sometimes "as soon as", however, I never know if I use them correctly. It is just a feeling, and it could be wrong. Generally, without any context they mean the same to me. Only in some context I can think and decide what I would choose.

While the Russian words когда - после are different very much to my ear. когда - this is like a specification of time. Indication of time to me.
However, после - it is just something indefinite which happened after something at undefined moment of time.

Do I understand correctly, that you can use "once" in the phrase like
Yety пишет: 06 сен 2021, 15:34 When I had answered my emails, I did some gardening.
I would use "after" in this case, and I may be wrong:

"After I had answered my emails, I did some gardening."
On the other hand, I don't see the necessity to use the past perfect, and there is a sequence of actions^: First I answered the emails, and then I gardened.

I don't know exactly how I can differentiate those. It is just a feeling of a non-native when I have to say or write something like that.
Sorry.
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Michelangelo пишет: 06 сен 2021, 15:55 Для меня использование when в значении "после того как" кажется нелогичным
И тем не менее:
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.c ... ish/when_3
И когда любовь прошла, завяли помидоры..
Michelangelo пишет: 07 сен 2021, 09:56 I would use "after" in this case, and I may be wrong:

You wouldn't be wrong:
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/thre ... ad-written

Стоит обратить внимание на тот момент, что употребление past perfect, где он предполагается, является обязательным и альтернативы в виде past simple не допускает (у Свона это оформлено как "not ..." с категорическим зачёркиванием).
И наоборот, в контекстах, требующих past simple, плюперфект звучит просто "не вполне естественно" (Своново "[past simple is] more natural than [past perfect]"
Swan-4, 54 past perfect: advanced points
Compare:
When I had opened the windows, I sat down and had a cup of tea.
(not When I opened the windows, I sat down...: the first action was quite separate from the second.)
When I opened the window, the cat jumped out.
(More natural than When I had opened the window,...: one action caused the other.)
When I had answered my emails, I did some gardening.
(not When I answered my emails, I did some gardening.)
When I wrote to her, she came at once.
Можно провериться:
When I (had?) opened the windows, I sat down and had a cup of tea.
When I (had?) opened the window, the cat jumped out.

When I wrote/had? written to her, she came at once.
When I wrote/had? written my letters, I did some gardening.

For now, feeling as though my own brain were unhinged or as if the shock had come which must end in its undoing, I turn to my diary for repose. The habit of entering accurately must help to soothe me.
When I wrote/had? written in my diary and (had?) fortunately replaced the book and pen in my pocket I felt sleepy.

When the airlock cycle (had?) finished, the people outside her door walked away.

Just then George heard a clock … one … two … three. ‘But that’s only three times!’ George said, when it (had?) finished.

Finally, it was quiet in the bar, and the only sound was the swish of the wide broom Toby used to sweep the floor. When he (had?) finished, he brought in the bucket from the kitchen and started mopping.

A buzz of joyful assent arose from the meeting, and even from the attendant men-at-arms who guarded the door. When it (had?) died away the Duke of Orleans rose in his place beside the King.
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 07 сен 2021, 09:56 I would use "after" in this case, and I may be wrong:

On the other hand, I don't see the necessity to use the past perfect
The Past Perfect isn't necessary with 'after' because its 'after-ness' is redundant in that case, but not so with 'when'. Either "after I did" or "when I had done". Don't you see that they mean the same thing? That they refer to the same time?
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic, it is difficult to remember all the examples from the grammar reference book. I need to start feeling how I can use various tense forms, but for that I have to use them often enough, and I don't do that.
That is why I just have stuck to some specific forms and haven't used the other ones. That is why I can agree with you that those are the same, but I cannot feel it until I start using them often enough. It is kind of difficult without certain amounts of practice.
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo, there is nothing to remember. The difference between simple and perfect past is a matter of logic. Just turn on your intellect and figure it out once and for all.
Dmitry

Сообщение Dmitry »

When I had opened the windows, I sat down and had a cup o f tea.
Хмм... стало быть при последовательности можно использовать PP

Насколько я понимаю, в моем случае уверенное simple past, поскольку есть причинно-следственная связь
"When she heard the news, she became oblivious to everything around herю"
Chaika

Сообщение Chaika »

Michelangelo пишет: 07 сен 2021, 09:56 After I had answered my emails, I did some gardening."
= Once I had answered
Of course, when there are different ways to express something, they do not carry the identical content and usually can be differentiated. I am not able to express the difference between the two words other than saying that the "after" expression is more common and the "once" seems to be a slightly higher level of English usage (more formal).

The plain past tense answered-gardened suggests a focus on sequence of actions, whereas the after/once suggests more a focus on the actions themselves rather than sequence.
За это сообщение автора Chaika поблагодарил:
Dmitry
GlebNoNePyanykh
Благодарил (а): 60 раз

Сообщение GlebNoNePyanykh »

Dmitry пишет: 09 сен 2021, 14:06 Хмм... стало быть при последовательности можно использовать PP
В вашем случае, как вы правильно подметили, уверенное simple past, поскольку есть причинно-следственная связь. Паст Перфект используется после when когда хотим делать акцент на завершенность первого действия до начала второго.
When he had shut the window we opened the door of the cage. (Мы подождали пока окно было полностью закрыто перед тем как открыть клетку.)
When she had sung her song she sat down. (Спела, закончила потом села.)
When she sang her song she sat down.(Может сидя пела.)
За это сообщение автора GlebNoNePyanykh поблагодарил:
Dmitry
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

GlebNoNePyanykh пишет: 09 сен 2021, 16:35 When she sang her song she sat down.(Может сидя пела.)
Это может означать только последовательные действия (сначала пропела, потом присела).
Не представляется, чтобы это могло означать параллельные процессы.

Для этого нужно:
- либо добавить continuous aspect
When she was singing, she was sitting (down) - игнорируя, конечно, ненатуральность высказывания;
- либо заменить союз when на while/as, которые способны скомпенсировать отсутствие continuous aspect
While/As she sang/was singing, she sat/was sitting (down).
При этом с down очень трудно отрешиться от двусмысленности как глагола движения.
Ответить