The anticipatory "it" in the object position

Обсуждение вопросов, нюансов и тонкостей грамматики английского языка любого уровня.

Модератор: zymbronia

VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Here go some example sentences:
I like it when you look at me this inquiringly.
They won't like it that I've told you that.
Can you arrange it that they won't get there on time?
I'd hate it if you tried to tell me who I could go out with.
I'll appreciate it if you tell the police you did not see me there before noon.
And I've been mulling over the ways these can be reworded.

For example:
I like you/your smiling at me this inquiringly.
They won't like my having told you that.
Can you arrange their not getting on time there?
I'd hate you/your trying to tell me who I could go out with.
I'll appreciate your telling the police you did not see me there before noon.
Also, there's a standalone sentence whose grammar, if it is reworded that way, kind of worries me:
I hate it when I have my questions unanswered
VS
I hate having my questions unanswered.
My question about the last one is this:

Does the -ing version need the use of the anticipatory "it"?
I hate it having my questions unanswered.
If not, will the use of "it" make the sentence utterly ungrammatical, or just sounding unusual/ unnatural/dialectal?

P.S. I can't be sure that the use of the anticipatory IT followed by verbs hasn't already been discussed on this forum or elsewhere in detail, but if it has been, and someone can share the link, I'll be more than happy:-)
The matter is that In the books I have at hand, there is not information on this issue enough for me to fully grasp the nuances of the usage.
The same goes for the explanations I came upon on the ESL-learning sites.
So to those, I'd much rather prefer the famous informational spoon-feeding by our highly esteemed and dearly loved @Yety, or the feedback from my other brothers in arms in the unсeasing local conflicts with the English language.

P.P.S. That I've written this post in English, by no means mean that I'm expecting the feedback in the same language. Written in our mother tongue, the answers are not an iota less welcome--of course, unless they're irrelevant to the topic:)
Последний раз редактировалось Aksamitka 04 авг 2021, 19:48, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Причина: исправлена опечатка
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

VictorB пишет: 04 авг 2021, 11:10 spoon-feeding of
LOL! Too late to edit other than by asking the mod, which I already did. Of course, I meant myself being in need of the spoon-feeding)))
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Отставим в сторону вопросы частотности, манерности и натуральности этого способа выражения..:)
VictorB пишет: 04 авг 2021, 11:10 Can you arrange it that they won't get there on time?
Grammarly говорит, что it здесь лишнее, - зачеркивает. Похоже, arrange не только не обязательно требует этого dummy в таком контексте, но и предпочтительно его отсутствие(?):
arrange it that they,arrange that they.

Очень странный график, поэтому проверил на оппозиции appreciate it if you,appreciate if you.
Второй вариант, как ни странно, тоже представлен не только в книжках ненейтивных авторов, хотя он, конечно, воспринимается как ошибка:
Top 50 Vocabulary Mistakes: How to Avoid Them, · 2018, Adrian Wallwork пишет: - Page 13
(incorrect) I would appreciate *if you could make less noise. - (correct) I would appreciate it if you could make less noise.
Здесь и Grammarly, наоборот, предлагает добавить IT в первом предложении.

VictorB пишет: 04 авг 2021, 11:10 (1) I hate it when I have my questions unanswered -> (2) I hate having my questions unanswered.
Думаю, (2) единственный корректный вариант. IT звучит в нем redundant in a bad way.:)

Что вообще делает IT в (1)? Оно - после переходного глагола - заполняет место дополнения, которое раскрывается в придаточном предложении. И его предназначение в том и состоит, чтобы обеспечить fitting для дополнения, которое выражено не - как положено - именной частью речи, а целым придаточным предложением.
В (2) дополение выражено герундием (герундиальным оборотом) - частью речи, синтаксически аналогичной существительному, поэтому необходимость в таком *переходнике* отсутствует:
СпойлерПоказать
I like it when you look at me this inquiringly. -> I like it you/your smiling at me this inquiringly.
They won't like it that I've told you that. -> They won't like it my having told you that.
Can you arrange (it) that they won't get there on time? -> Can you arrange it their not getting on time there?
I'd hate it if you tried to tell me who I could go out with. -> I'd hate it you/your trying to tell me who I could go out with.
I'll appreciate it if you tell the police you did not see me there before noon. -> I'll appreciate it your telling the police you did not see me there before noon.
Поэтому и в (2) не ожидается IT, потому как герундий (пусть и со своим подлежащим) нормально пристраивается к переходному глаголу:
(1) I hate it when I have to fight. -> (2) I hate it having to fight.
(1) I hate it when I have my questions unanswered -> (2) I hate it having my questions unanswered.

СпойлерПоказать
Тот факт, что после arrange предпочтительным выглядит вариант с опущенным IT, сближает его с make sure, которое работает именно таким образом:
Can you arrange it that they won't get there on time? = Can you make sure that they won't get there on time?
Желание поставить IT в предложении I hate having my questions unanswered продиктовано тем, что это единственный из всех ваших примеров, в котором у обоих предикатов один и тот же субъект (- I). И получается, что если во всех остальных примерах при замене придаточного на герундиальный оборот второе подлежащее как-то сохраняет своё место (в виде местоимения объектого или притяжательного), а в этом одном примере герундий оказывается в гордом одиночестве - сравним (обращая внимание на подчёркнутое):
1) Субъекты разные: I hate it when you come late -> I hate you/your coming late -- перед герундием стоит второй субъект (местоимение);
2) Субъект один и тот же: I hate it when I have to fight -> I hate my having to fight -- перед герундием ничего не стоит, ибо my избиточно-тавтологично.
И вот из-за отсутствия второго сабджекта вы ощущаете некое зияние, которое хочется заполнить хоть каким-нибудь it.=))

PS Кроме того, сам квази-пассивный оборот have my questions unanswered (с прилагательным, произошедшим от пассивного причастия) подразумевает какого-то другого фактического (не)исполнителя действия, что может ещё больше запутывать грамматическую картину...=))
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
VictorB
Chaika
Благодарил (а): 6 раз

Сообщение Chaika »

Fixed for you:
I hate having my questions go unanswered. or: ... my questions ignored.
I hate it when my questions go unanswered. ... are ignored.
these are both OK.

Similarly,
I hate having my decisions questioned.
I hate being interrupted.

I think the "it when" forms are more colloquial/typical. But you'll never be wrong using them.

Your last "it having" form sounds odd.
-----
I would appreciate your attention to this matter.
this form sounds stilted, so always use "appreciate it if..."
За это сообщение автора Chaika поблагодарили (всего 2):
Yety, VictorB
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Кстати, контексты, в которых have my questions (un)answered:
At Wit's End - Jesus Is There
Harold Moore · 2020
But I would rather walk with God and have my questions unanswered than have all my questions answered and not walk with God.” (Denison Forum, July 30, 2013, ...

The Gifts: A Story of the Boyhood of Jesus - Page 113
Dorothy Clarke Wilson · 1957
I can't understand you . Perhaps that's why I couldn't go away . I can't bear to have my questions unanswered . Here you stand , gazing at a sight every Jew on earth would count himself in Paradise to see , and yet you look as unsatisfied as ...

It's Your Pregnancy
Niels H. Lauersen · 2010
Do I have to wait until I'm having my second baby to have my questions answered? A.S Little Rock, Arkansas Any competent, caring physician will be more than ...

Nominations -- July-August: Hearings Before the Committee on ...
United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation · 1986
Mr. Chairman , I would prefer to have my questions answered before we send the nominee forward . Senator GOLDWATER . Maybe he can get them over by this ...

What Matters Most: Build a Purpose-Centered Alliance with ...
Jim Munchbach, ‎Pat Springle · 2004
But while I chose to jump in and have my questions answered as I took action, my friend wanted most of his questions answered before he would take any steps.
почти сплошь религиозные...))

И квази-религиозное:
The Gulf Breeze Sightings - Page 83
Ed Walters, ‎Frances Walters · 1991
Something told me the only way I'd get those answers was through Ed . That meant closer contact with the UFO . I decided I'd rather have my questions go unanswered . DECEMBER 22 , 1987 PRELIMINARY INVESTIGATION Late in the day ...
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
VictorB
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Chaika, Yety,
Thank you ever so much, my good friends!
As always, you've been a great help to me:)
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
Yety
Ответить