Help me with grammar tenses, pls

Обсуждение вопросов, нюансов и тонкостей грамматики английского языка любого уровня.

Модератор: zymbronia

Chulok
Благодарил (а): 4 раза

Сообщение Chulok »

Hi! Could you help me with my assignment?

Ex. 25. (А, В, C) Put the verb in brackets into the Past Indefinite, the Past Continuous,
the Past Perfect and the Past Perfect Continuous.
1 . Nobody knew where Smith had gone. 2. A girl who was standing under the beech tree came up to us. 3 Mary was speaking to Mr Boxwell when I saw her in the corridor this morning. 4. John was parking the car in Fifth Avenue when a young man in black glasses appeared from nowhere and stood before him. 5. He again came to the village where he had lived in his childhood. 6 While we were talking, there came a loud knock at the door. 7. He looked into the drawing-room. The old man was sleeping peacefully in the armchair at the fire-place. 8. When their visitor left, John and his mother stood near the window. 9. When he dressed, he went downstairs, wrote a long letter to his parents and another to his sister. 10. She welcomed her with a bright smile and turned back to the offensive dandilions she was fighting with. 11. While she was reading this notice, a middle-aged woman appeared in the doorway. 12. When he came back to the
conference room, he saw that the situation had changed. 13. She had been sitting at the table only five minutes when a car came. 14. Their father was (be) still silent, even when they were having coffee. 15. The three sat down to the meal that Susan had prepared. 16. He was sitting thinking of his wife whom he had left alone in Europe. 17. They looked over the accounts together and found where she had made her mistake. 18. I was surprised at John’s failure because hehad been such a good student previously.
Ex. 26. (В, C) Put the verb in brackets into the Past Indefinite, the Past Continuous,
the Past Perfect and the Past Perfect Continuous.
1. How your chief found out (find out) that you had come (come) to work late? 2. I left (leave) my house yesterday in a hurry, but I hadn’t gone far before I discovered (discover) that it was going to rain and I had left my umbrella at home. 3. He told me that his aunt had lived (live) with them for three months. 4. The discovery of the art of writing enabled (enable) the Ancient Egyptians to remember what their ancestors had done (do) before them. 5. The Romans destoyed (destroy) Jerusalem with fire and (kill) killed many of the inhabitants. 6. He scarcely got (get) outside the door when he heard (hear) Wardle’s voice talking loudly. 7. I knew right away that that was the place I had been looking for (look for) all my life. 8. At nine o'clock that evening a long black Packard roadster drew (draw) up to her door, and Arnie stepped (step) out of the front seat where he was sitting (sit) with the driver and a girl between them. 9. Mrs Monroe put down the telephone receiver. She had rang (ring) twice and each time the answer was (be) the same: Miss Marple was out. 10. I shouted (shout) to him to stop, but at that moment he was running (run) too fast to hear. 11. He picked (pick) up the book he was reading (read) before l came (come) into the room, and turned (turn) the corner of the page to mark the place where he had stopped (stop) reading. 12. He hadn`t been eating (not / eat) since nine that morning and his stomach growled (growl) with hunger. 13. No sooner they arrived (arrive) at this point than a most violent and startling knocking was heard at the door.
Ex. 27. (В, C) Translate into English.
1. Она смертельно поссорилась с моим мужем девять минут назад. 2. На старой даме было бархатное платье, которое не видело света двадцать лет. 3. Гости ушли.
She quarelled with my husband violently nine minutes ago. An elderly lady was wearing a velvet dress which had been constantly kept in the cupboard for twenty years. The guests have left.

Test 1.
I read this book when I was a child. I haven’t seen him since summer . He visited the Hermitage two days ago. The doctor is visiting ten of his patients today. It rained heavily the day before yesterday. Mother took the children to the zoo last week. Put on your coat, the weather is changing. He has never lived in the centre of the city. My husband and I were at the theater last night. Her husband graduated from the Institute last year. Bad students never work hard. Is it raining? – Yes, it is raining very hard. Look! The sun is rising. Do you hear anything? – Yes, somebody is knocking at the door. How long have you known him? – I’ve known him since 1965. Have you ever tried to give up smoking? She’ll take the children out for a walk if she finishes the work earlier. I don’t know if she will finish work earlier, she has a lot to do. Tell him to wait when he comes.

Test 2.
We`ve never met. At last she has done everything; now she can go to bed. Last year he line in the very centre of the city. I’ve already visited the Hermitage, now I want to go to the Russian Museum. I spoke to the dean during the break. My aunt is staying with us this week. The tourists are arriving here this week. Their frinds lived in Crimea last year. My little child has been ill since summer. She missed a lot of classes of French last year. The sun is rising in the East. He isn’t working, he’s watching the TV programme. Why are you speaking so fast? You`re making a lot of mistakes. Who are you waiting for? I’m waiting for Ann, we must leave in ten minutes. Where is Tom? – I don’t know, I haven’t seen him today. Have you had dinner yet? She went to Italy five years ago. Tell mother we aren’t coming back soon. I’ll talk to him about it if I see him today.

The task it self
Когда мы придём домой, они ещё будут готовить обед, и нам придётся подождать.
2. Когда вы его увидите, спросите, когда он уезжает и сможет ли он зайти к нам перед
отъездом.
3. Я уверен, вам она понравится, как только вы начнёте работать с ней.
4. Я не могу с уверенностью сказать, будет ли она на концерте.
5. Что мы будем делать, если она опоздает?
* 6. Не звони ей в 12 часов, она будет готовиться к экзамену.
7. Когда мы приедем в Ригу, они будут встречать нас на вокзале.
8. Что будут делать дети, когда мы придём домой? - Они будут обедать.
9. Интересно, сможет ли он прийти вовремя?
у 10- Джейн не знает, найдёт ли она дома адрес Джона, но если она найдёт его новый
адрес, она пошлёт ему телеграмму.
11. Мне хотелось бы знать, сможет ли она работать гидом на этой выставке.
12. Вы не будете знать английский язык, пока не начнёте много и усердно работать.
13. Я смогу прийти домой вовремя, если мне не придётся задержаться в школе
допоздна.
14. Я не пойду гулять до тех пор, пока не напишу письмо.
15. Ему придётся пропустить лекцию, если он не закончит перевод.
Ill) Complete the following sentences:
1. The rain will soak us to the skin unless...
2. Please, ring me up as soon as...
3. He must join us tomorrow; ask him when...
4. I should like to accompany you in case...
5. She promised to come tonight. Please try to find out if...
6. We’d better stay at home if...
?• Tell me when...

1. When we come home, they will be preparing lunch and we’ll have to wait.
2. When you see him, ask him when he is leaving and if he could do come around and see us before leaving.
3. I’m sure you’ll love her as soon as you start working with her.
4. I’m not sure whether she is in the concert
5. What will we do if she is late?
6. Don’t call her at noon, she`ll be preparing for her exams.
7. When we get to Riga, they will meet us at the station
8. What will the children be doing when we come home? - They will be having lunch.
9. It’s really interesting whether he can come in time?
10. Jane doesn’t know if she could find John’s address at home, but if she could, she’ll send him a letter.
11. I’d like to find out if she could work as a guide at this exhibition.
12. You won’t speak English fluently until you start working hard.
13. I’ll be at home in time if I don’t have to stay late at school.
14. I won’t go for a walk until I’ve written a letter.
15. He’ll have to skip the lecture if he doesn’t complete the translation.

The rain will soak us to the skin unless we take our raincoats with us.
Please, ring me up as soon as you land.
He must join us tomorrow; ask him when he is coming.
She promised to come tonight. Please try to find out if she has already left home.
I should like to accompany you in case of emergency
We’d better stay at home if it’s overcast.
Tell me when your boss is available.
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 8. When their visitor left, John and his mother stood near the window.
9. When he dressed, he went downstairs, wrote a long letter to his parents and another to his sister.
Мб и PastPS.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 10. She welcomed her with a bright smile and turned back to the offensive dandilions she was fighting with.
Or, she'd been fighting with.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 14. Their father was (be) still silent, even when they were having coffee.
Временные отношения остаются неоднозначными.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 16. He was sitting thinking of his wife whom he had left alone in Europe.
He sat thinking... - два -ing в одной форме не комильфо.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 1. How your chief found out
How did your chief find out...?
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 3. He told me that his aunt had lived (live) with them for three months.
Or, had been living
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 6. He scarcely got (get) outside the door when he heard (hear) Wardle’s voice talking loudly.
He had scarcely got...
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 Arnie stepped (step) out of the front seat where he was sitting (sit) with the driver and a girl between them.
where he'd been sitting
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 She had rang (ring) twice
rung
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 11. He picked (pick) up the book he was reading (read) before l came (come) into the room, and turned (turn) the corner of the page to mark the place where he had stopped (stop) reading.
the book he'd been reading before I came
to mark the place where he (had) stopped reading
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 and his stomach growled (growl) with hunger.
was growling
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 13. No sooner they arrived (arrive) at this point than
No sooner had they arrived at this point than... - с инверсией
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
Chulok
heather
Благодарил (а): 196 раз

Сообщение heather »

Yety пишет: 25 апр 2021, 18:25комильфо
УПС,оказывается англичане *приспособили*и :comme il faut [ˌkɒm iːl ˈfəʊ]-благопристойно, прилично.
к теме никак не относится,Пардон!
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

heather пишет: 25 апр 2021, 18:39англичане
рюсские франкофоны))
Небонтонно слямзили.))
Chulok
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 The doctor is visiting ten of his patients today.
Может, имелось в виду has visited?
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 Last year he line in the very centre of the city.
lived
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 Their frinds lived in Crimea last year.
friends очепятка, артикль с Крымом?
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 classes of French
French classes
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 The sun is rising in the East.
rises in the east
Иначе - это нечто, выламывающееся из обыкновения.
Chulok
Chulok
Благодарил (а): 4 раза

Сообщение Chulok »

Yety, спасибо вам огромное!!!
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Yety пишет: 25 апр 2021, 20:29 1. When we come home, they will be preparing lunch and we’ll have to wait.
Or, will still be cooking/making lunch
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 2. When you see him, ask him when he is leaving and if he could do?? come around and see us before leaving.
Or, if he will be able to come round before he sets off.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 4. I’m not sure whether she is in the concert
I can't say with assurance if/whether she'll be at the concert.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 5. What will we do if she is late?
What shall we do (if she comes late)?
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 7. When we get to Riga, they will meet us at the station
When we arrive in Riga, - почему 'будут встречать' (ожидается they'll be meeting us??)?
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 9. It’s really interesting whether he can come in time?
I wonder if he'll make it on time. Вопросит знак в косвенном вопросе лишний.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 10. Jane doesn’t know if she could find John’s address at home, but if she could, she’ll send him a letter.
...if she will find..., but if she finds his new address, she'll send him a telegram.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 11. I’d like to find out if she could work as a guide at this exhibition.
I'd like to know if she'll manage to...
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 13. I’ll be at home in time if I don’t have to stay late at school.
I'll make it home on time unless I have to stay (till) late at school.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 14. I won’t go for a walk until I’ve written a letter.
I'll stay put at home/won't go out until I've written the letter.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 3. He must join us tomorrow;
Это долженствование в будущем с must?? 😲😵
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50I should like to accompany you in case of emergency
Звучит странно.)
I'd like to accompany you in case you need a helping hand.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 She promised to come tonight. Please try to find out if she has already left home.
Подозреваю, что ожидалось что-то в духе '... if/whether she'll make it on time or not'.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 14:50 Tell me when your boss is available.
... when your boss will return from the business trip.
Chulok пишет: 25 апр 2021, 20:34огромное
No sweat.
Chulok
heather
Благодарил (а): 196 раз

Сообщение heather »

Yety пишет: 25 апр 2021, 20:07Небонтонно
formidablement!
эквивалент-мовэтонно,Ха.
Ответить