a mile's walk

Обсуждение вопросов, нюансов и тонкостей грамматики английского языка любого уровня.

Модератор: zymbronia

Харбин Хэйлунцзян

Сообщение Харбин Хэйлунцзян »

Я тут читаю одно монументальное исследование:

"human error" — почему без "s"? (Грамматика)

И почему-то мне кажется что не все так однозначно. The ultimate authority resides in this picture:

Изображение

Но лично я тут сразу вижу небольшое противоречие:

The paraphrase for examples like a mile's walk is obviously not 'a walk that belongs to a mile' but rather 'a walk of a mile' or 'a walk the distance of which equals one mile'. With what is called the genitive of measure, the head of the NP is always an uncountable noun and the NP in the genitive is indefinite.

Если я правильно понял, the head of the NP in question is mile, which is countable per the paraphrase presented.

Надо бы разобраться...

-
Dragon27
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Dragon27 »

Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 17 мар 2021, 08:40 сли я правильно понял, the head of the NP in question is mile
Нет, head в данном случае walk.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 17 мар 2021, 08:40 which is countable per the paraphrase presented
В парафразе, вроде да: a walk of a mile. Не знаю, бывает неопределённый артикль перед uncountable?
Вроде бы во фразе типа "It's a mile's walk from here", walk получается что-то вроде дистанции (пехом) такой несчитаемо-абстрактной (или активности хождения).
А в перефразировании walk немного поменяло смысл. Ну на то оно и перефразирование. Там ещё в конце страницы приводятся как две возможные фразы: "a one-mile walk" vs "a mile's walk".
Последний раз редактировалось Dragon27 17 мар 2021, 09:34, всего редактировалось 3 раза.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян

Dragon27 пишет: 17 мар 2021, 09:09 Нет, head в данном случае walk.

Я именно это имел ввиду - описочка вышла.

Dragon27 пишет: 17 мар 2021, 09:09 В парафразе, вроде да: a walk of a mile. Не знаю, бывает неопределённый артикль перед uncountable?

Сомневаюсь.

Вот еще сейчас нашел:

Summary of *the* today call? (Грамматика)

Juliemiracle пишет: 26 июл 2019, 12:25 We use possessive 's in some time phrases, e.g. a two days' journey, in four days' time etc
Yety пишет: 27 июл 2019, 00:23 Поэтому артикля ни в случае today's paper, ни в случае two days' journey не будет - как и в настоящем именном поссессиве Mary's journey.

Все эти картинки из книжек конечно хорошо, но вот есть такой довод:

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... &corpus=26

-
За это сообщение автора Харбин Хэйлунцзян поблагодарил:
Yety
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 17 мар 2021, 09:31 но вот есть такой довод
Вот это прикол, однако..)
🧐
Харбин Хэйлунцзян

Yety пишет: 17 мар 2021, 10:44 Вот это прикол, однако..)

Вы применяете отличный прием - такое бывает когда доводов нет. А как насчет descriptive vs prescriptive? :)

UPDATE
Я не знаю кто это хрен с горы, на книжку которого нам предлагают ориентироваться, но вот цитата из нобелевского лауреата в области литературы и оратора, речи которого изучают в школах:

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dl ... 1/mode/2up

I had first of all to obtain leave from my regiment at Bangalore. This meant a two days' journey by railway in the opposite direction to that in which my hopes were directed. The regiment was surprised to see me back before my time, but an extra subaltern for duty was always welcome. Meanwhile I had been commissioned as war correspondent by the Pioneer newspaper, and my Mother had also arranged in England that my letters should be simultaneously published in the Daily Telegraph, for which that journal was willing to pay £5 a column. This was not much, considering that I had to pay all my own expenses. I carried these journalistic credentials when I presented in much anxiety Sir Bindon Blood's telegram to my commanding officer. But the Colonel was indulgent, and the fates were kind. Although the telegram was quite informal and unofficial, I was told that I could go and try my luck. That night therefore with my dressing-boy and campaigning kit I sped to the Bangalore railway station and bought a ticket for Nowshera. The Indian clerk, having collected from me a small sack of rupees, pushed an ordinary ticket through a pigeon hole. I had the curiosity to ask how far it was. The polite Indian consulted a railway time table and impassively answered, 2,028 miles. Quite a big place, India! This meant a five days' journey in the worst of the heat. I was alone; but with plenty of books, the time passed not unpleasantly. Those large leather-lined Indian railway carriages, deeply-shuttered and blinded from the blistering sun and kept fairly cool by a circular wheel of wet straw which one turned from time to time, were well adapted to the local conditions. I spent five days in a dark padded moving cell, reading mostly by lamplight or by some jealously admitted ray of glare.

-
My Early Life, by Winston S. Churchill
-
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 17 мар 2021, 10:55 Вы применяете отличный прием - такое бывает когда доводов нет.
Никакого 'приема' не было и в помине. Это была искренняя удивленная (🧐) реакция, с благодарностью (👍) за то, что "нарыли" такую замечательную коллизию. Доводов никаких действительно не было (и кмк не могло быть), кроме очевидного
Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 17 мар 2021, 10:55 descriptive vs prescriptive
Харбин Хэйлунцзян

Yety пишет: 17 мар 2021, 12:21 Никакого 'приема' не было и в помине. Это была искренняя удивленная (🧐) реакция, с благодарностью (👍) за то, что "нарыли" такую замечательную коллизию.

Простите если понял неправильно. Просто я увидел слово 'прикол', улыбочку в конце строки и еще какую-то мордочку, которую с моим зрением разглядеть невозможно. Согласитесь это все несколько двусмысленно.

-
За это сообщение автора Харбин Хэйлунцзян поблагодарил:
Yety
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 17 мар 2021, 10:55 кто это хрен с горы
Помянем овощей с возвышенной местности поименно:
Advanced English Grammar: A Linguistic Approach
By Ilse Depraetere, Chad Langford

Сравним с мнениями прочих фруктов (итог в конце крупным шрифтом):

[Huddleston, Pullum]_The Cambridge Grammar Of The English Language
ИзображениеТа самая ссылка из монументального исследования в OP.
См. пристально Measure Genitives.

=== === ===
[Eastwood]_Oxford Guide To English Grammar
5 The pattern yesterday's newspaper
The possessive can express time when.
Have you seen yesterday's newspaper?
Next month's figures are expected to show an improvement.

It can also express length of time.
We've booked a three weeks' holiday.
There's going to be about an hour's delay.

NOTE
a. Sunday's newspaper is a newspaper on one specific Sunday, e.g. last Sunday.
A Sunday newspaper is a type of newspaper, one that appears on Sundays.
b. We can also use the following patterns to express length of time.
a holiday of three weeks - a three-week holiday
a delay of one hour - a one-hour delay
Стоит отметить, что Grammarly предлагает удалить пререкаемый артикль.

=== === ===
[Greenbaum]_The Oxford English Grammar
The genitive and of-phrase can have several other meanings. The temporal genitive denotes a period of time or a duration of time:
a session's legislation ('legislation passed during a session')
today's lower standards ('the lower standards that apply today')
this season's games ('the games during this season')
The descriptive genitive differs grammatically from the other uses of the genitive. It is a modifier. The determiner that precedes a descriptive genitive applies to the whole noun phrase and not to the genitive. For example, girls' is a descriptive genitive in a girls' school ('a school for girls') and its function is equivalent to that of local in a local school. A modifier that precedes the descriptive genitive may belong either to the genitive or to the head of the noun phrase. A good girls' school is ambiguous between 'a school for good girls' and its more plausible interpretation 'a good school for girls'.

Here are some examples of descriptive genitives:
cow's milk ('milk produced by cows')
a warm summer's day ('a warm day in summer')
a ten minutes' walk ('a walk lasting ten minutes')
the lion's share of the booty ('the largest share')

Descriptive genitives may form part of an idiomatic phrase, as in lion's share above and in dowager's hump and dog's dinner below:
[7] [. . .] the typical bent spine of osteoporosis has been given the name of 'dowager's hump'. [W2B-022-12]
[8] Well the thing I'm worried about more than anything is having to go into his office dressed up like a dog's dinner [SIA-042-165]

Some descriptive genitives can be replaced by nouns that are not in the genitive: a warm summer day, a ten minute walk. Nouns are regularly used to
premodify other nouns, as in this noun phrase: a plastic cat litter scoop.
Generally, the singular form of the noun is used in premodification.
Стоит отметить, что Grammarly предагает добавить дефис в a ten minute walk.

=== === ===
И наконец,
у Randolph Quirk, Sidney Greenbaum, Geoffrey Leech, Jan Svartvik A COMPREHENSIVE GRAMMAR OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE про это:
A hyphen before the singular form is normal in expressions denoting age, time, weight, size, etc of the following type:
a girl (who is) ten years old ~ a ten-year-old girl
a pause lasting three seconds ~ a three-second pause
inflation amounting to two digits ~ two-digit inflation
an agreement between four powers ~ a four-power agreement
a bill worth ten dollars ~ a ten-dollar bill

However, in quantitative expressions of the following type there is possible variation (cf 5.118 Note [-b-]):
a ten day absence [singular]
a ten-day absence [hyphen + singular]
a ten days absence [plural]
a ten days' absence [genitive plural]

5.118 Note [-b-]
[-b-] With temporal nouns in the plural, the apostrophe is sometimes omitted (cf 17.108):
several {weeks'/weeks} vacation
Жаль, что замечание крупным шрифтом в Квёрке попалось последним, совершенно на ощупь...

Короче, как ни напишешь, всё ок.))
Бег на месте обще-прими-ря-ю-щий...
Ответить