CPE in 2019, IELTS in 2020

Подготовка и впечатления от сдачи экзамена. Помощь в разборе письменных работ. выбор и обсуждение необходимых материалов. Cambridge English (CPE, CAE, FCE ect.), IELTS, TOEFL и другие.

Модератор: mikka

Viverra
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение Viverra »

Mountbatten, I googled and now I am a bit shocked, because he is Steven Hammond and he is... an actor (wtf???)
https://www.kinopoisk.ru/name/3647342/
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

sorry for barging in , he is not really an actor, he just took part in 1 (one) 30 minutes long film ..
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Viverra
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Viverra, regardless of Steven's teaching style, do you think joining the group was worth it? Did you get valuable insights that you couldn't otherwise get anywhere else (online, for example)? Did you meet amazing group mates with impeccable English and great intelligence who you could learn from and looked forward to meeting again and again? This is all very interesting (I didn't even know that there were groups for this high a level) - please do go on and continue sharing your experiences.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Oh, no, my anger has probably broken this forum, because something happened again and deleted my answer. Or may be it is because I use mobile phone to write here.
Anyway.
Eager Beaver, I work alone at home as a private tutor and I suffer from lack of any colleagues. It is complicated for me to evaluate my own progress and level as a teacher because I have no one to compare myself with or to be observed by. Finally, here I am able to enjoy the society of teachers from schools and universities, and they are not gods but mostly the same level, so I don't feel as a dumb asshole anymore.
We are a group of 30+ female teachers of English and a 18-year old male economy student, and I am a bit jelous that this young creature is so awesome at this age. Good for him, really.
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарил:
QwestDay
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

30+ female teachers of English and a 18-year old male economy student, and I am a bit jelous that this young creature is so awesome at this age.
are you sure it's not just a cougar's instinct at play ? )
Последний раз редактировалось tourist 26 янв 2019, 00:14, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
paveltashkinov
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

tourist, I don't know what you mean but please don't tell my husband, just in case ))
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Viverra пишет: 26 янв 2019, 00:07 I don't know what you mean
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cougar
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
tourist
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Viverra,
I meant meaning #3 from here .
Glad you've got a sense of humour and don't worry ... what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas )
Viverra
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Viverra, thanks! Earlier you mentioned that you'd found an amazing speaking partner. Is it someone from your CPE class? What exactly do you do to practice conversation, if you don't mind me asking?
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Eager Beaver, no, not really, it is a girl who posted a request here. We use Objective Proficiency to train speaking. It is the same book we have at LL.
Mountbatten
Благодарил (а): 135 раз

Сообщение Mountbatten »

Viverra пишет: 25 янв 2019, 23:15 Mountbatten, I googled and now I am a bit shocked, because he is Steven Hammond and he is... an actor (wtf???)
https://www.kinopoisk.ru/name/3647342/
Gosh, it tells a lot.
Mountbatten
Благодарил (а): 135 раз

Сообщение Mountbatten »

Viverra, thank you for telling me his name etc. Now I will try to avoid dealing with him in case I decide to join the school.
I took the TKT exams in Novoskobodskay office.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Mountbatten, as tourist mentioned, he is not exactly an actor, it was a short role in a graduating student's film.
Our group it falling apart, I suppose it will be closed soon because in two weeks it will be only one student there. Although today's class was not so bad, but next time is the last prepaid lesson for me and another girl and we are not going to continue, and two more girls quit last week.
Devinette
Благодарил (а): 814 раз

Сообщение Devinette »

Viverra пишет: 25 янв 2019, 21:37 Mountbatten, another issue is that Steven may be an interlocutor or an examiner during coming CPE sessions. I doubt I am brave enough to spoil relationship with him before the exam.
At the same time, going to the classes helps me to keep up with the scedule, because I am not so well-organised to do lots of tasks without any control.
Since there are definitely more than 2 Speaking Examiners for CPE in Moscow, you're bound to have unfamiliar examiners. Anyway, If the candodates are familiar to an axaminer, they will act as an Interlocutor, not an Assessor.
Examiners aren't always good teachers. Having teaching experience is a prerequisite for the job, but no one cares how good a teacher the thaminer is.
Speaking examiners don't have to know all the technical details of the exams, such us computer-based versions etc. It isn't part of their job
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Изображение
Next Saturday I'm going to computer-based CPE.

I quit studies at LL and I was the last one there, so our group was closed three weeks ago.
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарили (всего 4):
Белая Мишка, Eager Beaver, Mary May, paveltashkinov
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Viverra, best of luck on the doomsday! We'll be waiting for your report (and keeping our fingers crossed). :)
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Yesterday my speaking partner and I met offline and had some practice with timing. I hope it was useful, at least I feel like it was.
I didn't want to mention it but we in advance asked to have CPE speaking together and I was told that's OK we just need to write a letter with this request after the payment. But I was such a mess, and I don't know how but I accidentally paid for another computer-based CPE in July (facepalm). When I found out my mistake I was terrified. I called to LL and then filled in some application form and got the answer that it was ok and I was rescheduled for March. But when the date of official letters came everyone received their personal timetables except me. I was so *** let-it-be-"worried" because I thought they just forgot to include me at all (and I suppose that was true). I called and wrote letters again and the next day I finally got this precious letter with my speaking timing...which was different from my partner's one (more facepalms). I called again and was told that some mysterious system did this automatically and it was impossible to change anything. I don't buy it, I think they didn't want to have more mess because my partner obviously had got someone else as a partner so another person's scedule was involved. But they said we may ask to take speaking part together during the day of the exam. We'll try, it's worth a shot.
That's a start, right? :) I suppose my subconscious tried to stop me from being tortured during CPE. :)
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарили (всего 5):
cherkas, paveltashkinov, Mary May, Mountbatten, Zlatko_Berrin
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

Viverra,

Try to have a nice sleep today...
And good luck!
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Mary May, thank you!
This night I saw CPE in my dreams, although they were more nightmares than dreams :)
Белая Мишка
Благодарил (а): 1434 раза

Сообщение Белая Мишка »

Viverra, I wish you every luck!!
За это сообщение автора Белая Мишка поблагодарил:
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Well, it was ok. Now I have to be patient and wait for the results to come on March, 22.
I feel like I failed Listening part 1, although usually the last part is worse, but today it was the opposite. Everything else was quite good, I suppose. Not perfect, but my goal is any grade because a year ago I got 196 at CAE (grade B, level C1) and I need to prove that I have made some progress and finally entered C2 level. With my shitty English, yes :) I hope I am already there, but we'll see.
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарил:
Белая Мишка
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Today I made sure that I definitely prefer computer-based exams. It is much more convenient in terms of writing, I was able to type an essay of 284 word and an article of 404 words in total 1 hour 30 minutes with all the corrections and choosing a topic for the second task. By the way, today the range of topics was just awesome: a report about ecological issues, a letter about your favourite hobby, a review of the set book, an article about fashion (that was my choice). All of participants today decided on different genres without anything especially preferable.
The compulsory essay was about attitude to celebrities and being famous.
And luckily we were allowed to take speaking with any partner from the examinees so Tonya and I did it together and we hope it was good. Also all the other people spontaneously divided into pairs different from their personal timetables but nobody said a word against it so it was not a problem at all. Actually, I believe we had no problem with speaking. But I am afraid to jinx it.
Violetta27
Благодарил (а): 289 раз

Сообщение Violetta27 »

Viviera, that's so fabulous! Your courage and exam experience! I envy you )))
За это сообщение автора Violetta27 поблагодарил:
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

I can't stand waiting, I know that the results will be officially released only in 10 days but I keep checking my email almost every hour. As a distraction, I rewarded myself with a photo session. Probably, not the best idea ever, because now I have to wait not only for the results of the exam but also for the photos, and I am perhaps the most impatient person in the world.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Изображение

It's a huge progress for me! And again, with one more point I could have got the next Grade B. Nevertheless, I am proud of myself. All of my skills are in C2 zone, and my worst part used to be Use of English. Well, it is not the same anymore. :)
Последний раз редактировалось Viverra 15 мар 2019, 13:31, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарили (всего 8):
Литейщик, BeerMug, Белая Мишка, Violetta27, Mary May, Verba, Inna, Hannah
Ответить