CPE in 2019, IELTS in 2020

Подготовка и впечатления от сдачи экзамена. Помощь в разборе письменных работ. выбор и обсуждение необходимых материалов. Cambridge English (CPE, CAE, FCE ect.), IELTS, TOEFL и другие.

Модератор: mikka

Viverra
Благодарил (а): 544 раза

Сообщение Viverra »

I've just got my CAE results. They are quite good:

Overall 196 C1
Reading 203 C2
Use of English 189 C1
Writing 183 C1
Listening 201 C2
Speaking 204 C2

So it is obvious now that I have to practice writing more. More than nill, at least, because I hate writing, to tell the truth, and I hadn't prepared for this part of exams at all.

Using English here is a bit scary to me, but it's like jumping into cold water. I feel I must do it now, because I'm going to take CPE in two years. Also I found some kind of writing challenge here and I'd like to join it. Although it's a bit complicated because I'm on holiday ))
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарили (всего 3):
paveltashkinov, Белая Мишка, Dream32
paveltashkinov
Благодарил (а): 318 раз

Сообщение paveltashkinov »

Well done! Congratulations!
Feel free to pitch in the threads dedicated to CPE preparation.
За это сообщение автора paveltashkinov поблагодарил:
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

First of all, I'd like to compare this recent result with another one.
I passed FCE in December 2016
Изображение
And CAE now
Изображение

As you can see, almost nothing has happened to my Use of English in the year and a half:))
I used to be really terrified by this part of exams before FCE so first I trained really hard, that's why it appeared to be my best skill in FCE. Afterwards I felt much more relaxed about it. It was my mistake.
The best progress surprisingly is in speaking. I found an American guy and we just spoke via Skype three times a week. We didn't have any students books, we simply discussed the news. Then I got bored and stopped it. It was too much news discussing in my life! Since then I haven't had speaking practice except my own lessons where I'm a teacher. Still, it works for me.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

What else have I done?
Well, I promised to myself to finally finish the blue Murphy book but I haven't done it yet. The blue one! Also I downloaded several pdf books for Advanced levels. Never opened.
But I had read all Harry Potters books before CAE and watched enormous amount of serials in English. I don't watch TV at all, instead I watched The Big Bang Theory and so on. Good choice, as I think :)
Also I had lots of lessons as a teacher.
And that's all. But I feel it won't be enough for CPE. Maybe I will have to end up the blue Murphy. :)
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарил:
Violetta27
Violetta27
Благодарил (а): 289 раз

Сообщение Violetta27 »

Мои самые искренние поздравления!
Я вот бьюсь бьюсь с тестами CAE, и результат очень сомнителен.... Мерфи был выучен наизусть еще 18 лет назад, но к экзамену он имеет минимальное значение )))))
Кстати, у меня вопрос комментарий. Сегодня на курсах CAE спорили о том, как правильно называются сериалы. Наш учебник говорит, что только series, словарь говорит, что еще и serials. Преподаватель понятно вторит учебнику. Я теперь прям уже теряюсь....
September
Благодарил (а): 791 раз

Сообщение September »

Преподаватель понятно вторит учебнику. Я теперь прям уже теряюсь....
А интернет у преподавтеля есть?)
- Прогуглите serial vs series, очень многие уже задавались этим вопросом.

Вот, например:
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... ma.211049/
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Violetta27, thanks a lot!
I may and I will make mistakes, but I'm pretty sure in this case they are serials, not series. At the same time, I don't attend any English classes and don't get any feedback, so feel free to comment and ask, it will be useful for me.
Of course Murphy is too easy for CPE, I just wonder if I ever finish it. )) Actually, even after CAE there is a lot of valuable information there.
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарил:
Violetta27
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

I'm back from my holiday. Unfortunately :))
On the third of April I got a letter about my CAE certificate. It was ready! So fast, in less than a month since the examination! I was impressed.

Next morning I was the first who came to get it. The moment I held the certificate in my hand, the very moment I had dreamt about before, I realised it wasn't enough. It's hard to be a perfectionist, you are never satisfied.

At the same time, I feel lack of motivation to study hard. Maybe I need a little break. Maybe one more vacation :)
paveltashkinov
Благодарил (а): 318 раз

Сообщение paveltashkinov »

Viverra,
have you already embarked upon your preparation for CPE?
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

paveltashkinov, not yet. I'm in the middle of something, a bit busy. It's not a good excuse, I know, but I've got a new part-time job and it's my number one priority now. But I won't change my plans about exams.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Meanwhile, I thought why not try IELTS this year. This autumn, for example. I don't know much about this exam, but it's quite popular, so it must be pretty useful for me as a teacher. But I'm hesitating between General and Academic.
Surprisingly, I found out that I had bought online training course for IELTS at Lingualeo before. Maybe even two years ago. And I completely forgot about it. So today I've started the first part of it which is listening. My kids were running around me and screaming during my listening, they want me to be prepared for any conditions :) Still, it was not so bad.
And Murphy is in progress, as usual.
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Viverra пишет: 02 июл 2018, 17:04why not to try
Are you sure ?
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Michelangelo, absolutely not, that's why I edited my post before your answer. Thank you for being observant. It's always good to have some feedback.
Also I changed "in autumn" to "this autumn" and "Murpy" to "Murphy" (Murphy, sorry about that))).
Irina
Благодарил (а): 129 раз

Сообщение Irina »

Viverra, sorry, I pressed the wrong button.
Viverra пишет: 02 июл 2018, 17:04 Meanwhile, I thought why not try IELTS this year. This autumn, for example. I don't know much about this exam, but it's quite popular, so it must be pretty useful for me as a teacher. But I'm hesitating between General and Academic.
Well, people usually decide to take IELTS ( and, probably, any international exam) when they somehow need it. Is there any necessity?
I mean, it's a specific test and far from being as easy as pie. There are some visuals to describe and unless you know how to approach them, they may play a nastry trick on you. So, if there's no need and you're not playing to prepare students for this exam in the future, I would think twice before registering for it. )
За это сообщение автора Irina поблагодарил:
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Irina, I've never really needed any exams, my students never ask for my certificates and diplomas. But it motivates me greatly. IELTS isn't supposed to be as easy as a pie, but I hope I will be able to get 6 at least )) And yes, I'd like to prepare adult students for IELTS in the future.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

If our football players managed to win, impossible is possible now.
Роман Молти
Благодарил (а): 301 раз

Сообщение Роман Молти »

The impossible is possible indeed.
It's quite inspiring to read such threads. I hope you pass the exam with flying colors.
За это сообщение автора Роман Молти поблагодарил:
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

I'm going to take baby steps in improving my writing. It is my weakest skill for now.

As far as I know, in Moscow there is only one computer-based form of IELTS, and it's the Academic version. After my experience with FCE and CAE, I definitely prefer computer-based exams because of the writing part. But today here comes my first easy-peasy essay from General IELTS.

Some people think cars are the best way to get around the city, while others prefer cycling. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

Getting around the city is inevitable routine for millions of its inhabitants. While some of them prefer cars, others think that cycling is a better choice. Nevertheless, I find cars more convinient. Still, there are several advantages and disadvantages of the both types of transport to be discussed.

On the one hand, cars are much more widely used by majority of people all over the world as an everyday option because of the weather conditions. For example, here in Russia driving is the best way to commute because of our quite severe climate. Cycling can be an alternative to driving only during summer. Also cars are so popular because they allow you to take a lot of personal possessions with you, which is sometimes essential, especially for big families. In case you have to go somewhere with tiny babies, cars could be probably the only choice. Moreover, you don't even need to own a car, you can always take a taxi.

On the other hand, cycling has some obvious advantages, too. Firstly, it is absolutely free. Also it is easy, healthy and enjoyable kind of fitness, so you are not only moving from one point to another but having some extra exersices simultaneously. Finally, bicycle riders don't depend on traffic so they can save a lot of time during rush hours whereas car drivers are stuck in traffic jams. At the same time, while cycling you have to rely on weather and be dressed up proreply for a sport activity. If you use a bicycle to commute, you had better take a shower afterwards, and it could be a problem in an office. So, in spite of all the pluses of cycling, as for me, cars are more preferable.

Consider all pros and contras, I agree that cars are the best way to get around the city, despite cycling has some inarguable advantages, too. Although cars are more convinient in many situations, I would recommend to use bicycles as much as it is possible as a cheap and healthy alternative to driving.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Here is a great sourse of IELTS wisdom ))
http://ieltsielts.com

Also I have started reading "Sherlock Holmes" and it's awesome.
Irina
Благодарил (а): 129 раз

Сообщение Irina »

Hi there!
Maybe, since you've started preparing for IELTS, not CPE, it's worth changing the name of the topic? Otherwise, it might be a bit confusing, don't you think? Or, maybe you could start another thread and leave this one for CPE if your interest does not wither away.=)
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Irina, you are probably right. Unfortunately, I don't know how to rename the topic. At the same time, I will pass CPE in 2020 as was planned. And I need to practice writing for the both exams. I suppose it would be better just to add something about IELTS to the title.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Viverra пишет: 02 июл 2018, 17:04my listening,
I found out that it is automatically marked there, so my first attempt of listening got 7.5.
Irregardless
Благодарил (а): 583 раза

Сообщение Irregardless »

Табличку такого вида удобно использовать для подготовки к CPE https://yadi.sk/i/mb-97FfP3Yp4Lq
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Irregardless, to tell the truth, I can't see the point of these tables.

Here is the plan:
Books:
- Focus on IELTS Foundation by Sue O'Connell;
- English Grammar in Use by Murphy;)))
- Advanced Grammar in Use by Hewings;
- Grammar and Vocabulary for Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency by Side and Wellman.

Reading - Sherlock Holmes.

Lingualeo- working with vocabulary from Sherlock Holmes; online IELTS samples, TED's.

Video - BBC World News and several TV serials, as usual.

Internet - IELTS official samples and tips, Ryan's IELTS blog.

I'm not sure about speaking with any tutor. Maybe my self-practice and talking to my foreign friends will be enough.

That's it.
Irregardless
Благодарил (а): 583 раза

Сообщение Irregardless »

Viverra, они помогают контролировать продвижение по каждой части: делать Past Papers по всем частям+ смотреть насколько успешна была попытка. С точки зрения статистики - весьма полезная штука.
Ответить