CPE in 2019, IELTS in 2020

Подготовка и впечатления от сдачи экзамена. Помощь в разборе письменных работ. выбор и обсуждение необходимых материалов. Cambridge English (CPE, CAE, FCE ect.), IELTS, TOEFL и другие.

Модератор: mikka

Viverra
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение Viverra »

You may compare these with my CAE results 11 months ago. I am proud of myself.
САЕ April 2018
Overall 196 C1
Reading 203 C2
Use of English 189 C1
Writing 183 C1
Listening 201 C2
Speaking 204 C2
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарили (всего 4):
Литейщик, Irina, Yety, QwestDay
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Viverra,
yay for you! That's awesome! (*feeling slightly envious)
And your UoE is out of this world.
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Juliemiracle, you shouldn't be envious because I think your English is much better than mine. Maybe I just got lucky this time but Use of English felt quite easy although there were phrasal verbs and inversion but I knew all of them. It was much worse during the mock CPE. At the same time, I am quite disappointed with reading. I expected it to be flawless, to tell the truth, because I didn't have any doubts anywhere in that part.
I think I'll continue my studies and next year I'll make another attempt :)
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Viverra,
dunno, I've never tried to formally get ready for or take an exam. Maybe I'd fail miserably.
Anyway, it's not the time to talk about me -- it's your moment of glory :) Your progress over less than a year is worth every bit of respect and admiration.
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

By the way, my speaking partner got Grade B with 217 overall and 218 for Speaking. My Speaking got 213 so I suppose we are attagirls :)
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

My collection :))
FCE 2016
Изображение
CAE 2018
Изображение
CPE 2019
Изображение

I suppose I need one more year :) There is always a room for improvement.
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарили (всего 8):
Zlatko_Berrin, Violetta27, Белая Мишка, Yety, waniz, paveltashkinov, Tea42, Libra
Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

I think I'll take up collecting the statements of results, too.))
By the way, my congrats on your CPE results! Use of English is fantastic - that is what all students of English should aim at, to my mind. As we say, a soldier isn't good if he doesn't want to be a general., he-he)
За это сообщение автора Zlatko_Berrin поблагодарил:
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

My husband and I decided to take IELTS together in a year. His level is much lower, B1, but he's extremely competitive so my experience makes him envy me and we can use it as his motivation. Also he needs English for his job and he is already able to communicate quite fluently and work in English although he doesn't know about Present Perfect at all :) His best skill is listening (it is probably B2) because he watches serials in English without any problems.
So he is going to be my first IELTS guinea pig student.
Also I have this vague feeling that I can hardy put into words but I'll try. I used to think that at C2 English must be close to immaculate. Well, mine is definitely not. And some people keep bringing me down in private messages. They send me my own old posts with their corrections. Well, please, don't bother, I didn't ask about it. If you want to tell me that I am not a native speaker, I have to inform you that I know it and I'll never be. But if I missed some articles it doesn't mean I don't deserve C2. So please mind your own business and your own level. I can communicate freely in any circumstances and that's the point of learning languages, it's not about looking for mistakes.
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарили (всего 8):
Yety, Белая Мишка, Zlatko_Berrin, Violetta27, Verba, cherkas, paveltashkinov, Tea42
waniz
Благодарил (а): 11 раз

Сообщение waniz »

Viverra,
Could you depict your preparation for the Use of English part, with astonishing result of 230?
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

waniz, I didn't do anything special, just almost all exercises from Objective Proficiency (Student's book and Workbook), some exercises from Grammar and Vocabulary for Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency by Richard Side and Guy Wellman (that's a very good book) and all free CPE samples I could find on the Internet (flo-joe and so on).
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарил:
waniz
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Also I watch videos in English a lot. I don't watch TV at all, instead I try to watch one or two episodes of serials in English every day (every night)). It's easy for me so I don't think about it as about any preparation, I just love it. Nevertheless, it is very useful.
waniz
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Oh, I remembered one thing which helps me to be more careful with Use of English. For me, the most difficult part is Key Word Transformation. So, there is one trick - you can cross out everything similar and have a look at what exactly you need to say in other words.

1) Diseases such as smallpox have still to be eradicated.
STAMPED
Diseases such as smallpox ................ yet.

So let's cross out
1) Diseases such as smallpox have still to be eradicated.
STAMPED
Diseases such as smallpox ................ yet.

Now we have "have still to be eradicated" = "...stamped..... yet", and it's easier for me.
waniz
waniz
Благодарил (а): 11 раз

Сообщение waniz »

yes, I know that trick
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Meanwhile, I received a very specific request from a client. A teacher of English needs to be prepared for the Unified State Exam (ЕГЭ) because it is compulsory for every school employee, but her lever is too low (and yes, she is working in one of local schools). Long story short, next week I am going to pass the USE by myself. There is an independent centre evaluating quality of education, so you just register and pay and here you are, you may enjoy some extra suffering :) I have never taken the USE before because I am too old and can remember mammoths, we didn't use to do it when I finished school. Anyway, it is useful for my teaching practice. I am really nervous which may sound silly after passing the CPE but the more I study the requirements, the more complicated it seems to be. For example, in speaking you need to choose a picture you took (according to the task) and tell your imaginary friend about it. And if you mention that you actually are in this picture, you immediately get 0 points for this part because you don't understand the task. They mean that if you took this picture by yourself you couldn't be in it. Well, from my experience, people use automatic mode to take a photo all the time. Personally, I've taken plenty of photos exactly this way. So I have a week to study traps like this and learn some useful patterns for essay.

A month ago after my trip to Africa I realised that a lot of French speaking people don't even bother to use English anywhere. So I started learning French from scratch. Its pronunciation is blowing my mind :) I found a tutor and we are moving forward really fast, maybe even too fast, but I like the feeling of my brain working.
cherkas
IrinaS
Благодарил (а): 152 раза

Сообщение IrinaS »

Viverra, To sit USE is an exhilarating experience, in my book. Although I can remember mammoths too, I passed it. I assume I was one of those happy firsts (?). And I am into French too. I speak only a smattering French. Je parle Français up peu. Are you going to take an exam in the foreseeable future? I mean DELF.
IrinaS

Сообщение IrinaS »

I also come across RNE as the name of ЕГЭ
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

IrinaS, considering my level of French, it's too early to think about any exams. Maybe in 3-5 years )) It will depend on my progress and persistence.
IrinaS

Сообщение IrinaS »

There is even an exam for a1 level. And the cost is not so exorbitant as for English one. It took me a year and a half with irregular studies to pass DELF a2 with flying colours. Although I admit that a2 is a piece of cake. However I haven't used it since then.( It was in 2016.)
За это сообщение автора IrinaS поблагодарил:
cherkas
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Yesterday I took the USE (ЕГЭ) and now I have to wait for my results for two weeks.
There were twelve poor English teachers about 30-50 year-old. During speaking, all of a sudden, I realised that I was awfully distracted by two other people doing their tasks at the same moment. We shared one room with three computers and had to speak simultaneously. However, I believe I managed to do it quite well, although at the beginning I naturally stammered and repeated some words. I think that children should not be checked in these conditions because it is not about language at all, but my niece said they had to do it exactly the same way.
Another thing that was a bit difficult for me was the amount of words allowed for an essay. I am used to speak and write a lot in long sentences with extra details. Here you are given a strict plan and you must be very presice. When I finished my essay, I realised that I wrote too many words and I had to cross out several sentences or they would have taken into consideration only the first piece of the essay without conclusion and I would have lost some points for wrong structure.
Also I am not really sure about two titles for a text, I might have mixed them. We'll see.
Anyway, it wasn't really hard after CPE, but I can't say it's a piece of cake. Although grammar part was easy peasy, to tell the truth, the same level as in ОГЭ (I had several ОГЭ students but have never prepared anyone to ЕГЭ yet), but the vocabulary in ЕГЭ was much more complex, and there even was one word I hadn't known before (notches) but the context (quite spooky one, "the notches on the bones of dead animals") helped me to understand it.
Последний раз редактировалось Viverra 18 июл 2019, 11:35, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарили (всего 2):
cherkas, Белая Мишка
cherkas
Благодарил (а): 4794 раза

Сообщение cherkas »

Viverra пишет: 18 июл 2019, 11:26 We shared one room with three computers and had to speak simultaneously. However, I believe I managed to do it quite well, although at the beginning I naturally stammered and repeated some words. I think that children should not be checked in these conditions because it is not about language at all
Awful!
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

I received my USE results, it is an expert level, but only 90 out of 100.
I can't say that I am completely satisfied because I lost most points for my essay and speaking for "communicative purpose" and "organisation". So, I am going to try one more time. Nevertheless, next certificate will be the same because for teachers they don't write points, only a level, and "expert" is the best. Still, I want to try one more time because I don't know what was wrong with my speaking structure. To tell the truth, I believe I followed the plan and didn't miss anything. I suppose I need to study the requirements more carefully.
Белая Мишка
Aksamitka
Благодарил (а): 761 раз

Сообщение Aksamitka »

Сообщения [mention]Eager Beaver[/mention] о его результатах и комментарии пользователей перенесены в тему Заметки о СРЕ (Языковые экзамены)
За это сообщение автора Aksamitka поблагодарил:
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

It is implied that the new auditorium supports an education program in …
1) arts.
2) architecture.
3) technology.
4) programming.

Text: "The educational experience is much richer because of the generosity of others. Our new auditorium is one shining example that we are proud to support. Not only is this facility a marvel of world-class architecture and programming, it also strives to make the arts accessible to all citizens. These experiences spark curiosity and imagination in audiences, young and old, to remind us what it means to be alive in this era of technology and separation."

What would you choose?
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

Viverra, (1) seems to be the only logical answer.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
tourist
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Easy-Breezy English, exactly my thoughts, but the right answer is different.
СпойлерПоказать
4. Programming
But why?

Taken from here:
https://en-ege.sdamgia.ru/problem?id=4520
Ответить