CPE in 2019, IELTS in 2020

Подготовка и впечатления от сдачи экзамена. Помощь в разборе письменных работ. выбор и обсуждение необходимых материалов. Cambridge English (CPE, CAE, FCE ect.), IELTS, TOEFL и другие.

Модератор: mikka

Viverra
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение Viverra »

That has been done so far:

Focus on IELTS foundation - unit 1 out of 12. This book seems to be too easy, but still useful.
English Grammar in Use - about 50% of the book. It will be followed by next level afterward.

Sherlock Holmes, the complete stories - A study in scarlet, part one. The whole book is giant, so it's only about 3%.

Also I watch a lot of videos and news every day, study vocabulary for Academic IELTS, read, explore and copy essays (I strongly believe in rote learning, at least, it works pretty well for me).
paveltashkinov
Благодарил (а): 318 раз

Сообщение paveltashkinov »

Viverra,
May I pitch in with unsolicited advice?)
I would sooner use vocabulary.com rather than Lingualeo, the latter being rather obsolete and useless at higher levels you seem to be aiming at. You may create your own lists of the words you are learning as well as tap into a wealth of the already existing wordlists. Whatever works, anyway.)
За это сообщение автора paveltashkinov поблагодарил:
Irregardless
Irregardless
Благодарил (а): 583 раза

Сообщение Irregardless »

paveltashkinov, + 1
Very true.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

paveltashkinov, thank you for your advice. You are an example for me due to your amazing achievements :) However, I disagree about lingualeo. I use this app every day for several years for reading and studying vocabulary, watching TED's and so on. I like it, it works for me and it is not boring. Why change it to vocabulary.com? Are your familiar with lingualeo? There are huge amount of original books and videos from native speakers there. It is not for beginners only, believe me.
To tell the truth, my vocabulary at the moment is about 20000 words, but I've yet to use all of it in my writing. Probably, that's the most complicated issue for me. I can speak quite fluently because normally we don't speak in formal register. I can understand wide range of texts, at the same time I write as a school girl. Practice makes perfect, they say. Let's better call it challenge, not issue. :)
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

paveltashkinov пишет: 20 июл 2018, 03:47 May I pitch in with unsolicited advice?)
You always may! :)
paveltashkinov пишет: 20 июл 2018, 03:47 You may create your own lists of the words you are learning as well as tap into a wealth of the already existing wordlists
The same at lingualeo, and not only this.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

paveltashkinov,
Nevertheless, I've just registered at vocabary.com to explore it. :) We'll see.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

It's high time to eat a frog.

Изображение

The graph provided by UN Population Division reveals how the populations of India and China have been changing since 2000 and the prediction how they may change in the future by 2050.

In 2000, there were more people living in China than in India, about 1.25 billions and 1 billion respectively. Shince then till nowadays both countries have experienced growth in number of their citizens up to 1.4 billions in China and approximately 1.27 billions in India. Experts presume that afterward Chinese population growth is likely to slow down significantly. Thus both lines will cross in 2030 with the same number of Chinese and Indians - about 1.45 billions.

In period between 2030 and 2050 Chinese population will tend to fall decrease to 1.4 billion, that is roughly the same number there is at the moment in 2018. In contrast, experts expect steady increase in the number of Indians so it might rise to 1.6 billions by 2050.

In general, the figures show that the population of India was less than Chinese one in 2000, they will become equal in 2030 and then Indian populations is expected to overtake Chinese one.

190 words. I'm not sure about some articles, that is my weakness.
Irina
Благодарил (а): 129 раз

Сообщение Irina »

Viverra, hi there)
Since you've posted your eaten frog, I suppose you expect people to comment on it.=) So, if you don't mind:
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02and the prediction how they may change in the future by 2050.
I am not sure it's good to use these two together: 'in the future' and 'by 2050'. I would rather use only one of them.
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02 Since then till nowadays
- sounds a bit Russian to me, I would just have 'since then both countries have experienced...'
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02up to 1.4 billions in China and approximately 1.27 billions in India
- if I am not mistaken, you don't use 's' with billion:
OALD:
You say a, one, two, several, etc. billion without a final ‘s’ on ‘billion’. Billions (of…) can be used if there is no number or quantity before it. Always use a plural verb with billion or billions, except when an amount of money is mentionedTwo billion (people) worldwide are expected to watch the game.Two billion (dollars) was withdrawn from the account. There are more examples of how to use numbers at the entry for hundred.
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02afterward
- be careful with different varieties of English. 'Afterward' is American, which is fine, just make sure your finger is not in every pie.=)
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02Chinese population growth
- sounds a bit too heavy, don't you think? Maybe, population growth in China?
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02Thus both lines will cross in 2030 with the same number of Chinese and Indians - about 1.45 billions.
- maybe, it's worth paraphrasing? --- Both countries are expected to have the same number of citizens in 2030.
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02In period between 2030 and 2050
- from 2030 to 2050; over the span of ... years; - check how to write about different time periods, in IELTS books they give tables with useful expressions.=)
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02Chinese population will tend to fall decrease to 1.4 billion
- is that right?
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02steady increase in the number
- a steady increase
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02so it might rise to 1.6 billions by 2050.
- what does 'it' refer to in this sentence?
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02then Indian populations is expected to overtake Chinese one.
- not sure it sounds English. I would just write 'India will overtake China'.

I hope, you don't consider my recommendations and corrections offensive.

P.S. in general, you'd better try and use more comparatives and more structures- in this particular case - checking what structures to use to speak about predictions won't go amiss.=)
Последний раз редактировалось Irina 20 июл 2018, 17:59, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
За это сообщение автора Irina поблагодарил:
Viverra
paveltashkinov

A few more suggestions:

it might have risen to 1.6B by 2050
they will have become equal by 2030
From 2030 to 2050, Chinese population will be decreasing to 1.4 B
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Irina, paveltashkinov, thank you so much!
paveltashkinov

My last suggestion seems to have spurred some debates regarding the use of might + have + Past Participle when talking about some future possibilities.
I believe that it sounds perfectly fine, though.

https://www.englishgrammar.org/participle-4/

The structure may / might + perfect infinitive can also be used to refer to the present or future. In this case, may and might show possibility.

Compare:

By the end of this month, I may have finished this work. (Strong possibility)

By the end of this month, I might have finished this work. (Weak possibility)

By the end of this month, I will have finished this work. (Certainty)
За это сообщение автора paveltashkinov поблагодарили (всего 2):
Yety, Viverra
Irina
Благодарил (а): 129 раз

Сообщение Irina »

Viverra, hi) How are you doing?
There are a few more things that you might want to pay attention to. I must say that some of the ideas came from another source who wishes to remain anonymous.=)
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02and the prediction how
- and a prediction ( or a projection).
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02growth in number of their citizens
- a growth ( but I must say I personally don't like this word in this context, but it's possible) / a rise/ an increase in the number of...
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02the same number of Chinese and Indians - about 1.45 billions.
- of the Chinese
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02population will tend to fall decrease
- population can decline/decrease/dwindle/ fall/ shrink
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02that is roughly the same number there is at the moment in 2018.
- not sure it is ok here. Maybe, it's worth paraphrasing?
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02Indian populations
- India's population
Viverra пишет: 20 июл 2018, 12:02that the population of India was less than Chinese one in 2000
-- than that of China?

and just a few more useful things:

Surpass is also possible instead of overtake
One country is expected to rival another country in size by (year)
Sth is anticipated
citizens= inhabitants

Hope, these you will find useful.)
За это сообщение автора Irina поблагодарил:
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Thank you all for your comments.

The graph provided by UN Population Division reveals how the populations of India and China have been changing since 2000 and a prediction how they may have changed by 2050.

In 2000, there were more people living in China than in India, about 1.25 billion and 1 billion respectively. Shince then both countries have experienced a growth in number of their citizens up to 1.4 billion in China and approximately 1.27 billion in India. Experts presume that the population growth in China is likely to slow down significantly. Thus both countries are expected to have the same number of inhabitants in 2030, which is about 1.45 billion.

From 2030 and 2050 population of China will be decreasing to 1.4 billion, that is roughly the same number there is now in 2018. In contrast, experts expect a steady increase in the number of Indians so it might have risen to 1.6 billion by 2050.

In general, the figures show that in 2000 the population in India was less than in China, they will have become equal in 2030 and then India is anticipated to surpass China.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

I've caught some flue and I am feeling awful today. So I've chosen this graph to describe:
Изображение

The graph illustrates a level of a person's grammar skills at the different occasions.
It is evident that the best grammar level was shown during the 8th grade English,when this language ability managed to surpass "nearly the bomb" point significantly and made it close to the highest "the bomb" level. However, the second bar reveals a slight decrease in the proper grammar usage at writing a thesis though it was still over "nearly the bomb" level.
These two successful accomplishments were followed by a sudden sharp drop. On Facebook social network the person could demonstrate only "to, two or too... what's the diff?" language level which was four times worse then it had been before. The tendency to descend had been steady thus at a job interview the grammar skills lowered to "crap, I'z smoked to much weed in colleges".
Overall, the person's grammar skills have been decreasing gradually thus at the beginning the highest level was reached whereas the latest point was just a little over zero.

168 words
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

I've just finished reading "A Study in Scarlet", the first novel of "Sherlock Holmes" omnibus. I found a new favourite word there - "sottish" :) Isn't it strange that we don't have such an adjective here in Russia?
Also I completed some units and written tasks, although I'm still feeling not so good and have a fever. Lucky me, a flue in July.
Белая Мишка
Благодарил (а): 1434 раза

Сообщение Белая Мишка »

Viverra пишет: 28 июл 2018, 01:13 I'm still feeling not so good and have a fever. Lucky me, a flue in July.
Viverra, sorry to hear you are sick, hope yoг get well soon!
За это сообщение автора Белая Мишка поблагодарил:
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Modern communications mean that it is no longer necessary to write letters.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Nowadays we have a huge variety on means of communication with each other. Some people believe that there is no use in writing old-fashioned letters due to all the progress made. Let us consider pros and cons of this position.

Modern technologies allow us to communicate much faster and more comfortably than we used to do. Digital revolution has significantly simplified our lives in terms of business and personal relationships. Therefore there is no need to wait for a letter for days or even weeks. Not only does it take minutes to write an email or make a call instead, but also it is no necessary to go to a post office and waste money on envelopes or stamps. To have a laptop or a smartphone is enough to arrange a meeting, provide colleages with some important information or congratulate a relative on a special day.

Nevertheless, in some occasions it is more preferable to use letters. They are more sentimental so they can be a nice way to express your feelings to friends or beloved ones. A postcard from a foreign country which has to make its way all around the world may become an appreciated and unique souvenir. Speaking of business, valuable documents could also be sent by registered letter in case their copies are not acceptable. Thus sometimes letters are better option than emails.

There is a wide range of communications available at present. Hi-tech devices enable us to write emails or phone when we deal with some urgent matters but letters are still in use depending on the situation, so it is convinient to use all the different means of communications.
paveltashkinov

Viverra,
a huge variety of means of communication with each other. Anyway, sounds too bulky.
a huge/vast array of communication means - sounds much better to my ear.)
...but it is also no longer necessary to go to a post office....
ON some occasions....
A postcard from a foreign country, which has to make its way all around the world, may become an appreciated and unique souvenir.
Thus,
etc.
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

I've just finished "The Sign of The Four", and the next novel is going to be the most famous one, about the hound, you know :)
And as ridiculous as it may sound, I haven't neither read nor seen any of the stories about Sherlock Holmes before, so the plot is absolutely new to me. I am really enjoying this omnibus and its language despite the fact that it is quite obsolete with all these "have you a cab?" old grammar structures and so on.
Murphy's book is still full of surprises for me. The latest one is that we use "their" for "somebody", for instance:
'Somebody has forgotten their umbrella.'
I feel a bit frustrated, to tell the truth, but it will pass. Maybe it is a plateau, maybe it's just common sense :)

Also I added Expert Proficiency to my list.
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарил:
QwestDay
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
Viverra
paveltashkinov

Viverra,
I haven't neither read nor seen
I have neither read nor seen
Viverra
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

I'm trying to finish on time a course about teaching English online. Actually, it is supposed to be completed in three weeks but they generously added two extra weeks. It is inspiring and useful and also enables me to practice English but it takes so much time! I couldn't expect it in advance. Nevertheless, it is really worth doing. So chin up and go forward, lazy bones :)
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Hey! :) I'm alive. Have been really busy. I used to love summer the best but now I think October is my favourite month. Everything is finally clear and regulated.
I've joined offline classes of CPE preparation at Language Link and I'm really excited about it. Looking forward to my first lesson this weekend. Luckily, they have groups on Saturdays so it fits my schedule perfectly. I'm such a nerd 🤓 Studies make me feel happy.
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарил:
escalier_en_escargot
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Change of plans, folks :)
Due to the fact that I am studying at CPE classes I think I will try this exam next summer. So there is no point in IELTS for me right now. I was thinking about IELTS as a mid-stage on my way to CPE but one mock CPE exam is included in the course and, as for me, it is quite equal and, more importantly, free replacement.
Viverra

Сообщение Viverra »

Every week I have 5 hours of group studies at the language school, roughly the same amount of official homework, about 3 hours of extra revising (flo-joe and so on) and about an hour or two of watching videos in English a day, but the last is more for fun. The main coursebook is Objective Proficiency.
Next weekend I'm having a mock exam just to fing out how miserable I am at the moment :) As far as I know, we won't have any listening, but I don't really worry about this part because I am usually quite good at it. Everything else will be included. Depending on results, I will choose the date of real CPE. Now I'm thinking about computer-based one at the beginning of March. It's too early to pass it decently but I usually leave Moscow in summer and I believe it will be complicated to do it properly after a long break.
Anyway, I have recently read an article dedicated to CPE and found out that you'll get a certificate even with C1 as long as you manage to get 180+. That is not an achievement to respect but it's pretty stress-relieving. I actually saw a blog of a teacher who is proud of her CPE with level C1 instead of A, B or C Grade of C2. :)
I wrote some long and boring text about advertisement but I'm not going to publish it here as now I have a teacher to torture.
За это сообщение автора Viverra поблагодарили (всего 2):
Белая Мишка, escalier_en_escargot
Ответить