Благодаря Стивену нашему Кингу ко мне прилипло )

Как начать изучать язык с нуля, какой метод изучения языка выбрать, получить рекомендации по самостоятельному изучению языка, обсудить другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

Kind_Punk
Благодарил (а): 172 раза

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

В другой теме мне напомнили, что Стивен Кинг - кладезь удачных фраз ) Предлагаю поделиться ими здесь )

Мне запомнились:

You have forgotten the face of your father

and

(Princesses were) ugly as sin and stupid in the bargain

)
Kind_Punk
Благодарил (а): 172 раза

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

When you need to express gratitude

You speak true and I say thankee

When someone disturbs you

Go and find your hand
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

In God we trust. All others pay cash. (не Кинга, но впервые увидел в его книге)

to leave Sobriety City on the Alcohol Express

Everything that goes around comes around, they say, and although I've never been able to figure out who the mysteriously wise sages known as "they" might be, they're certainly right when it comes to time-travel.

In America, where surface has always passed for substance, people always believe guys like Frank Dunning.

You know how some women that age can be really beautiful? I was thinking of Christy’s mother, who didn’t fully come into her looks until she was in her fifties.

Life turns on a dime, and when it does, it turns fast.

Sometimes life coughs up coincidences no writer of fiction would dare copy.

When all else fails, give up and go to the library.

Because it would matter to John Kennedy’s wife and children; it would matter to his brothers; perhaps to Martin Luther King; almost certainly to the tens of thousands of young Americans who were now in high school and who would, if nothing changed the course of history, be invited to put on uniforms, fly to the other side of the world, spread their nether cheeks, and sit down on the big green dildo that was Vietnam.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Открыл читалку - вообще каждое второе предложение можно выписывать.

I "was unable to feel my feelings," in AA speak.

to express the absolute final deal-breaker in a relationship

"boy meets girl on the AA campus"

I could have told her about them later, but I didn't see the point, partly because she would have thought I was pity-fishing (that's not an AA term, but maybe it should be), and partly because I don't think the ability to bust out bawling pretty much on cue should be a requirement for successful marriage.

At his most emotional, he might fetch a heavy sigh or grunt out a few reluctant chuckles - no breast-beating or belly-laughs for William Epping.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Встретил слово, на котором не заострил внимание, когда читал - theme в значении composition. Встречается в книге 16 раз и исключительно в одном значении.

I was sitting alone in the teachers' room at Lisbon High School, working my way through a stack of themes that my Adult English class had written.
The teachers among you who have picked up an extra three or four thousand a year by taking on a class of adults studying for their General Equivalency Diploma will know what a dispiriting job reading such themes can be.
There were no violins or warning bells when I pulled out the janitor's theme off the top of the stack and set it before me, no sense that my little life was about to change.
Because I've got some honors themes to correct before I can close up my grade book for the school year.
He was correcting themes with a hollow-eyed intensity that suggested hangover.

СпойлерПоказать
Во втором примере еще и недавно обсуждаемые a/an + adj + plural noun, и will в значении уверенности...
Ответить

Вернуться в «Основной форум об изучении английского языка»