Idiomatron

Словарный состав языка, выбор лексических единиц, как учить и запоминать новые слова, тесты и задания на знание лексики, специальная лексика, словари и другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

Avaddon
Благодарил (а): 121 раз

Сообщение Avaddon »

Having kickstarted the thread I only have to tell one more riddle before going into winter hibernation. Not sure that this is a proper idiom, though

Eyes on the Universe by Isaac Asimov
It's not surprising that Copernicus's theory met with stout resistance. People were not prepared to deny the revered knowledge of the Greeks, the apparent word of the Bible, and the evidence of their own senses, and to believe that the Earth moved about the sun – merely in order to lighten the burden for some lazy mathematicians.
For the better part of a century, those who supported the Copernican view had an u..... b..... . Tycho [Brahe] himself did not support the notion that the sun was the center of the planetary system…
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Avaddon пишет: 04 янв 2019, 12:48 before going into winter hibernation
Are you coming back in spring?
Avaddon

Сообщение Avaddon »

Juliemiracle,
It looks like I won't be allowed to sleep deeply.
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Avaddon,
GTK :)
Any hints about
Avaddon пишет: 04 янв 2019, 12:48 an u..... b.....
?
I'm at my wits' end.
Avaddon

Сообщение Avaddon »

Juliemiracle,
Well, Asimov says that those who supported the Copernican view had to wage a struggle, and compares it to trying to climb a steep mountain.
За это сообщение автора Avaddon поблагодарили (всего 2):
Mary May, Juliemiracle
Роман Молти
Благодарил (а): 301 раз

Сообщение Роман Молти »

СпойлерПоказать
uphill battle
За это сообщение автора Роман Молти поблагодарили (всего 2):
Avaddon, Juliemiracle
Роман Молти
Благодарил (а): 301 раз

Сообщение Роман Молти »

Interestingly enough,
СпойлерПоказать
I can't recall having ever encountered "have an uphill battle". The expression I've come across is "fight an uphill battle".
За это сообщение автора Роман Молти поблагодарили (всего 2):
Mary May, Juliemiracle
Avaddon

Сообщение Avaddon »

This is the final part of Neil Gaiman's esay "Where Do You Get Your Ideas":
I remember, some years ago, coming up with a perfect idea for a Sandman story. It was about a succubus who gave writers and artists and songwriters ideas in exchange for some of their lives. I called it Sex and Violets.

It seemed a straightforward story, and it was only when I came to write it I discovered it was like trying to hold fine sand: every time I thought I'd got hold of it, it would trickle through my fingers and vanish.

I wrote at the time:

I've started this story twice, now, and got about half-way through it each time, only to watch it die on the screen.

Sandman is, occasionally, a horror comic. But nothing I've written for it has ever g..... u.... m. s... like this story I'm now going to have to wind up abandoning (with the deadline already a thing of the past). Probably because it cuts so c.... t. h... . It's the ideas - and the ability to put them down on paper, and turn them into stories - that make me a writer. That mean I don't have to get up early in the morning and sit on a train with people I don't know, going to a job I despise.

My idea of hell is a blank sheet of paper. Or a blank screen. And me, staring at it, unable to think of a single thing worth saying, a single character that people could believe in, a single story that hasn't been told before.

Staring at a blank sheet of paper.

Forever.

I wrote my way out of it, though. I got desperate (that's another flip and true answer I give to the where-do-you-get-your-ideas question. 'Desperation.' It's up there with 'Boredom' and 'Deadlines'. All these answers are true to a point.) and took my own terror, and the core idea, and crafted a story called Calliope, which explains, I think pretty definitively, where writers get their ideas from. It's in a book called DREAM COUNTRY. You can read it if you like. And, somewhere in the writing of that story, I stopped being scared of the ideas going away.

Where do I get my ideas from?

I make them up.

Out of my head.
За это сообщение автора Avaddon поблагодарили (всего 2):
Mary May, Yety
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

Avaddon

Сообщение Avaddon »

A Loint of Paw by Isaac Asimov

There was no question that Montie Stein had, through clever fraud, stolen better than $100,000. There was also no question that he was apprehended one day after the statute of limitations had expired.
It was his manner of avoiding arrest during that interval that brought on the epoch-making case of the State of New Yorkvs. Montgomery Harlow Stein, with all its consequences introduced law to the fourth dimension.
For you see after having committed the fraud and possessed himself of the hundred grand plus, Stein had calmly entered a time machine, of which he was in illegal possession, and set the controls for seven years and one day in the future.
Stein's lawyer put it simply. Hiding in time was not fundamentally different from hiding in space. If the forces of law had not uncovered Stein in the seven-year interval that was their hard luck.
The District Attorney pointed out that the statute of limitations was not intended to be a game between the law and the criminal. It was a merciful measure designed to protect a culprit from indefinitely prolonged fear of arrest. For certain crimes, a denned period of apprehension of apprehension—so to speak—was considered punishment enough. But Stein, the D.A. insisted, had not experienced any period of apprehension at all.
Stein's lawyer remained unmoved. The law said nothing about measuring the extent of a culprit's fear and anguish. It simply set a time limit.
The D.A. said that Stein had not lived through the limit.
Defense stated that Stein was seven years older now than at the time of the crime and had therefore lived through the limit.
The D.A. challenged the statement and the defense produced Stein's birth certificate. He was born in 2973. At the time of the crime, 3004, he was thirty-one. Now, in 3011, he was thirty-eight The D.A. shouted that Stein was not physiologically thirty-eight, but thirty-one.
Defense pointed out freezingly that the law, once the individual was granted to be mentally competent, recognized solely chronological age, which could be obtained only by subtracting the date of birth from the date of now.
The D.A., growing impassioned, swore that if Stein were allowed to go free, half the laws on the books would be useless.
Then change the laws, said Defense, to take time travel into account; but until the laws are changed, let them be enforced as written.
Judge Neville Preston took a week to consider and then handed down his decision. It was a turning point in the history of law. It is almost a pity, then, that some people suspect Judge Preston to have been swayed in his way of thinking by the irresistible impulse to phrase his decision as he did.
For that decision, in full, was:
'A niche in time saves Stein.'

Afterword
If you expect me to apologize for this, you little know your man. I consider a play on words the noblest form of wit, s. t....!
Avaddon

Сообщение Avaddon »

I'm in Marsport without Hilda by Isaac Asimov
one of those guys arranged the killing. Now you find out which. You put the finger on the right one before eleven and there's a promotion, a raise in pay, a payback for poor Jack Hawk, and a rescue of the Galaxy. You put the finger on the wrong one and there'll be a nasty interstellar situation and you'll b. o.. o. y... e.. and also on every blacklist from here to Antares and back.
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

СпойлерПоказать
be out of your ear
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
Avaddon
FPlay
Благодарил (а): 83 раза

Сообщение FPlay »

First, Smollett attempted to gain attention by sending a false letter that relied on racial, homophobic, and political language. When that didn't work, Smollett paid $3500 to stage this attack and d... Chicago's reputation t...... t.. m.. in the process. And why? This stunt was orchestrated by Smollett because he was dissatisfied with his salary. So he concocted a story about being attacked.

Now, our city has problems, we know that. We have problems that have affected people from a.. w.... o. l... . And we know that. But to put the national spotlight on Chicago for something that is both egregious and untrue is simply shameful.

I’m also concerned about what this means moving forward for hate crimes. Now, of course, the Chicago Police Department will continue to investigate all reports of these types of incidents with the same amount of vigor that we did with this one. My concern is that hate crimes will now be met with a level of skepticism that previously didn't happen.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... areer.html
Milanya
Благодарил (а): 149 раз

Сообщение Milanya »

СпойлерПоказать
FPlay пишет: 24 фев 2019, 00:56 a.. w.... o. l...
all walks of life
СпойлерПоказать
FPlay пишет: 24 фев 2019, 00:56 d... Chicago's reputation t...... t.. m..
drag through the mud
Ответить

Вернуться в «Лексика, словарный запас»