Took me a while to figure out

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Kind_Punk пишет: 29 окт 2020, 16:36 if not always in their bodies or something like that (head, limbs), so you can see it right away.
You can see in others' minds? :) Your 'so' clause looks like a conclusion.
Kind_Punk
Благодарил (а): 172 раза

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

acapnotic пишет: 30 окт 2020, 08:48 You can see in others' minds? :)
Well, it's my job ) a sort of )) I'm a Bokononist an editor now )
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Kind_Punk, I was not sure if your editing helped. So I am not sure now too. Sorry.
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Michelangelo пишет: 30 окт 2020, 09:21 if your editing helped
Well, this is how I understand the sentences. I may be wrong, of course )
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Kind_Punk пишет: 30 окт 2020, 09:16
acapnotic пишет: 30 окт 2020, 08:48 You can see in others' minds? :)
Well, it's my job ) a sort of )) I'm a Bokononist an editor now )
Okay then. How many of those you edit are hurt in their minds and hearts, if not always in their bodies? :)
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

acapnotic пишет: 30 окт 2020, 10:22 How many of those you edit are hurt in their minds and hearts, if not always in their bodies? :)
Well, now they ARE hurt ))
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

There is a Russian character in the book, and his name is Maxey Aleksevieh Pyeshkov. Okay, it was before the Internet, but the author could still find a correct Russian name somewhere, I think, or not make the man Russian if he couldn't. His being Russian doesn't play any role in the plot. Unless it was supposed to explain why he was always drunk.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

The author chose that name in order not to be suited for the use of somebody's real name by that person's relatives. I think it must be clear.
Maybe it was an excuse for being drunk all the time, like Russians are always drunk. Who can tell?
By the way I cannot find the name online. Was it written correctly?
I found Dr. Pyeshkov only once. Is it the same one?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 11:14 The author chose that name in order not to be suited for the use of somebody's real name by that person's relatives. I think it must be clear.
Very unlikely, I think. They use correct English names in their books, don't they? Why aren't they afraid of being sued by people living in the West and should have been afraid of someone from behind the Iron Curtain?
Michelangelo пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 11:14 By the way I cannot find the name online. Was it written correctly?
I found Dr. Pyeshkov only once. Is it the same one?
Yes, that's him. I copied the name as it's written in the book. It's an electronic book, and there are some OCR errors, but I don't think this is the case here. Reading Maxim as Maxey seems unlikely.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic, so you know everything. Why did you decide to ask this question then? For sake of boredom?
As you might have noticed there are not only this Russian feature, but some others as well. The Author likes using Russian names of whatever nature IMHO. So he likes that name of Pyeshkov too. Just a matter of preference of the author.
Dragon27

Сообщение Dragon27 »

Reminded me of this:
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 12:37 Why did you decide to ask this question then? For sake of boredom?
It was not a question but a comment. For the sake of boredom, partly, but also for language practice. We come here for it, don't we?
Michelangelo пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 12:37 As you might have noticed there are not only this Russian feature, but some others as well.
No, I don't seem to have noticed that. What do you mean?
Michelangelo пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 12:37 So he likes that name of Pyeshkov too.
Pyeshkov is OK, but Maxey Aleksevieh isn't. Do you really approve of this nonsense?
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 13:26 Do you really approve of this nonsense?
Why not? Do many Americans remember how it is spelled?
acapnotic пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 13:26 What do you mean?
I noticed, eg, Hussars - isn't is a Russian name borrowed into English?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 13:32 Why not? Do many Americans remember how it is spelled?
A writer should remember, of course. He works with words in their written form, after all. He has managed to learn English spelling, in spite of its weirdness.
Michelangelo пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 13:32 I noticed, eg, Hussars - isn't is a Russian name borrowed into English?
It's not a name but just a noun.
from Hungarian huszár, from Old Serbian husar, from Italian corsaro, from medieval Latin cursarius, from cursus ‘a raid, plunder’, special use of Latin cursus ‘course’, from currere ‘to run’.
Doesn't French have is too? It's more likely to have been borrowed from it, I guess.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 13:40 Doesn't French have is too?
dunno
maybe
However, I remember this word from the movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussar_Ballad
Dragon27

Сообщение Dragon27 »

Michelangelo пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 13:32 Hussars - isn't is a Russian name borrowed into English?
Russians have an old insufferable habit of changing "H" to "Г" in borrowed words. Never heard of any foreigners doing the opposite thing.
За это сообщение автора Dragon27 поблагодарил:
acapnotic
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Dragon27 пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 13:19 Reminded me of this:
American names come from various parts of the world, don't they? So we shouldn't be surprised by any combination of characters as an American name, should we?
Dragon27

Сообщение Dragon27 »

acapnotic пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 14:13 American names come from various parts of the world, don't they? So we shouldn't be surprised by any combination of characters as an American name, should we?
Apparently, Americans are surprised by these names (or this video wouldn't have been created). Just read the commentaries.
They sound so close to actual american names but they're just, like, slightly off in about every single way.
I personally think they just took some actual names (of some actual baseball/hockey/whatever players) and changed them a bit for some inscrutable reason.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Dragon27 пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 14:21 Just read the commentaries.
It's from them that I learned something was wrong with the names. I wish I had come across that video when registering on this forum. Then my name here would likely be something like Dwigt Rortugal. :)
Dragon27

Сообщение Dragon27 »

I don't know, these names seem off to me as well. Sure, the American nation is a jumbled mess of multiple ethnicities and their names come from all backgrounds, but one still can recognize and differentiate separate currents of this large linguistic river. One just needs some exposure.
And these are mostly English names that seem familiar but aren't exactly accurate (Steve -> Sleve, Justice -> Dustice, etc.). Maybe that's why they give rise to this feeling of fakeness.
asil
Благодарил (а): 42 раза

Сообщение asil »

acapnotic пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 10:26 There is a Russian character in the book, and his name is Maxey Aleksevieh Pyeshkov. Okay, it was before the Internet, but the author could still find a correct Russian name somewhere, I think, or not make the man Russian if he couldn't. His being Russian doesn't play any role in the plot. Unless it was supposed to explain why he was always drunk.
А вот если предположить (!), что автор так поигрался с именим Alexei Maximovich Peshkov? Вот просто взял, и поигрался. Вроде, если умный, то догадайся :)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

asil, that was obvious. My point is that the outcome of his playing is ugly.
asil

Сообщение asil »

acapnotic пишет: 03 ноя 2020, 16:30 asil, that was obvious. My point is that the outcome of his playing is ugly.
I don't see it as ugly. I actually find this reference to Gorky rather interesting, unusual and entertaining. I love it.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

asil, it's very unlikely to be a reference to Gorky because the book was written for Americans, who know nothing about him, let alone his actual name. Such a reference wouldn't be ugly, only unwarranted because I don't see any connection between Gorky and the book's plot, or between Gorky and being always drunk. What is ugly is the way the author changed Gorky's name. It's the same as taking the name John Smith and changing it to Sohn Jmih (not even Jmith) and expecting the reader to believe it's an English name.

Obviously the author didn't remember more than a few Russian names. Tolstoy, Chekhov, Gorky, and that's probably it. And since he thought that his readers knew even less about Russian names, he decided to make up one rather than look it up somewhere.
asil

Сообщение asil »

acapnotic пишет: 04 ноя 2020, 06:03 asil, it's very unlikely to be a reference to Gorky because the book was written for Americans, who know nothing about him, let alone his actual name. Such a reference wouldn't be ugly, only unwarranted because I don't see any connection between Gorky and the book's plot, or between Gorky and being always drunk. What is ugly is the way the author changed Gorky's name. It's the same as taking the name John Smith and changing it to Sohn Jmih (not even Jmith) and expecting the reader to believe it's an English name.

Obviously the author didn't remember more than a few Russian names. Tolstoy, Chekhov, Gorky, and that's probably it. And since he thought that his readers knew even less about Russian names, he decided to make up one rather than look it up somewhere.
This is not how I see it at all.

And yes, there's nothing wrong with changing the names to Sogh Jmih: people are allowed to be creative with their names as wrong as it doesn't look offensive.

This is not a factual book so there's nothing to 'believe' in it. And if they want to use Tolstoying - they are welcome to do this. As long as it doesn't look offensive. BTW, you don't find the name Tolstoy offensive in Russian, do you? :) I wonder why ... :)

By using an 'un' Russian Russian name, the author probably re-instates the fictionality of his work. From my point of view - well done!
Ответить

Вернуться в «Practise Your English»