A Story You Want to Read: The Game )

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Beginner
Благодарил (а): 36 раз

Сообщение Beginner »

Tell me a story (maybe a difficult task for you, buddy :)). The letter "B" and the letter "C" argue with each other about who is the most important letter. Then the letter " A " appeared. But, first of all, she is pregnant with the letter "T". Second, she's drunk. And third, she has a gun with a single bullet...
(I think you understand that you can't use words with the letter "T" because the "T" hasn't been born yet. And you won't be able to use the letter that might die. All other letters from the alphabet exist).
Kind_Punk
Благодарил (а): 172 раза

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Beginner пишет: 09 окт 2020, 02:52 a difficult task
Quite challenging, but we'll see )

Have you got the idea from Jeff Noon's 'Pixel Juice', BTW? )
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

a story that might be a difficult task )Показать

'He le'ers' conflic'

_here were 25 of us. And wha_ we were doing was crea_ing s_ories.

Yes, we were _he le__ers in _he alphabe_. Bu_ we missed one. I_ was _.

Some_imes we argued, bu_ wi_hou_ any bad consequences. Bu_ _his finally happened.

B and C began arguing wi_h each o_her abou_ who was _he mos_ impor_an_ le__er. S_upid, _o me. Every le__er is equal in value. I'm Q, by _he way.

_hen A appeared. 'I'm pregnan_,' she said.

We were happy. She would give bir_h _o _!

Minu_es la_er B and C con_inued _heir arguing, and A in_errup_ed _hem. 'I am _he mos_ impor_an_, because I'm _he firs_!" She shou_ed. I unders_ood _ha_ she was drunk. Where did she ge_ alcohol?

C began shou_ing back and even _ried _o hi_ her. _hen _here was _hunder, and C fell on _he floor. A s_ood wi_h a gun in her hand.

'Good bye,' she said, pu__ing _he gun _o her head. Bu_ _he pis_ol only clicked.

_hen _here were nurses, medics and policemen. We had _o go back _o our wards.

_here _re only 23 of us now. _nd our s_ories _re qui_e h_rd _o re_d.
За это сообщение автора Kind_Punk поблагодарил:
Beginner
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

Oh, you're a sly one! I assumed that you can write a text without skipping the letters that are not present, and selecting words that do not contain these letters. Although, I think it's really difficult. Well, you can do it the way you did. Thank you in any case. Interesting outcome.
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

Kind_Punk пишет: 09 окт 2020, 09:42 Have you got the idea from Jeff Noon's 'Pixel Juice', BTW? )
I have not read the books of Jeff Noon. Maybe I'll read something. I know a story about people who were allergic to different letters. He must have written it.
When I thought about the task, I assumed that someone had already given someone a similar task.
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Beginner пишет: 09 окт 2020, 16:26 you can write a text without skipping the letters that are not present
What can we do with 'the'? )

But I heard (well, read)) a story about the girl who couldn't pronounce the 'R' sound. So she didn't use the words containing it. In real time! )
Beginner пишет: 09 окт 2020, 16:27 people who were allergic to different letters
If it is 'Qwertyphobia', then Noon is the author )
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

Kind_Punk пишет: 09 окт 2020, 17:04 What can we do with 'the'? )
Yes you're right. It seems impossible to write such a story in English without the letter "T". A lot of words, prepositions, and of course the article "the".
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

I had two tasks for you, about letters and about cockroaches who learned to program and discuss how to use this skill to take over the world of people. When there is time, then please write about cockroaches )
За это сообщение автора Beginner поблагодарил:
Kind_Punk
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

cockroaches )Показать

Do you afraid of cockroaches?

I am a software developer, so I often works at home. About a month ago I started finding dead cockroaches on my keyboard.

It surprised me. Well, I often eat at the computer, but I'm not a slob. Also, I didn't find cockroaches in the kitchen.

One night I wake up and heard a strange clicking sound. It came from my computer. I sat up, looked in that direction and... blinked several times. There were cockroaches jumping up and down on the keyboard.

Suddenly they disappeared. 'Am I hallucinating?' I thought.

I stood up and walked to the table. I had left my last project open, planning to continue working in the morning. Now it was almost finished.

'Oh, it's a dream,' I smiled. I clicked 'Save' just in case and began reading the code. And felt a chill run up my spine.

The code was... brilliant. Short, fast, and... inhuman? I would never write something like that. 'Cockroaches did it?' I just couldn't believe it.

When I wake up in the morning, I remembered the dream and smiled. Then I looked at the display and froze.

The code was here.

After a couple of hours I got enough courage to compile the program. It turned out that it was significantly shorter and faster than the ones I wrote before.

This has been going on for six month now: I leave the task, and they write. I do not understand how their programs work. I think it is a question of time before cockroaches take over the planet. Because this is what they want.
За это сообщение автора Kind_Punk поблагодарили (всего 3):
VictorB, Beginner, acapnotic
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Kind_Punk,
Re: cockroaches.
LOL! Haven't they earned any tasty reward?
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

It's amazing how fast you work. When your hero saw
Kind_Punk пишет: 09 окт 2020, 22:07 There were cockroaches jumping up and down on the keyboard.
his gaze must have been like the creature on my avatar :))

It will be interesting to find out how your hero figured out that cockroaches want to capture the human world. But I think you've done enough work. You need to get some rest ). Thank you very much.
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

VictorB пишет: 09 окт 2020, 23:45 Haven't they earned any tasty reward?
Of course ) I should mention it )
Beginner пишет: 09 окт 2020, 23:53 It will be interesting to find out how your hero figured out that cockroaches want to capture the human world.
Maybe they don't ) Maybe it's the hero sleepwalking (and 'sleepworking') and being paranoid )
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

He has a split personality, most likely. One person is active at day and another at night. And there may be others as well. The cockroaches are an illusion with which he hides the truth from himself. That's why he never sees them in the kitchen — because they don't exist in reality.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Beginner пишет: 09 окт 2020, 16:26 I assumed that you can write a text without skipping the letters that are not present, and selecting words that do not contain these letters.
The term for this kind of stories is "lipogrammatic".
Writing a lipogram may be a trivial task when avoiding uncommon letters like Z, J, Q, or X, but it is much more challenging to avoid common letters like E, T, or A in the English language, as the author must omit many ordinary words. Grammatically meaningful and smooth-flowing lipograms can be difficult to compose
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipogram
also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsby_(n ... 20lipogram.
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
Beginner
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

Kind_Punk, Once a man was hospitalized in Russia. He was treated with anesthetic procedures. His doctor noticed that the patient's first words when he woke up were in English (the patient did not remember these moments). The doctor was surprised. The doctor read about illegal intelligence agents. He read that an agent can be uncovered when he can pronounce native words in an extreme situation. For example, if the agent is a woman, she may shout something in her native language when she feels pain during childbirth. Also, such a person can pronounce native words at the first moment of awakening from anesthesia. The doctor thought: "maybe the patient is a foreign spy! I love my country. My country won't be betrayed by me!" And he decided to call the counterintelligence service on the phone. So.. he is starting to talk... "

Dear Kind Punk, What happened next?
За это сообщение автора Beginner поблагодарил:
Kind_Punk
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Beginner пишет: 22 окт 2020, 12:15 if the agent is a woman, she may shout something in her native language when she feels pain during childbirth.
https://citaty.info/quote/338132
— Вы рожали за границей. Был риск, что могли во время родов закричать по-русски? Помните эпизод из тех же «Семнадцати мгновений весны», где Штирлиц говорит радистке Кэт: «Ты будешь кричать «мамочка» по-рязански»?

- Рожала я за границей второго ребенка. Кричала по-французски. Я в командировках сделала русский язык врагом номер один. Мы с мужем никогда не говорили на нем на чужбине. Даже ссорились исключительно на иностранном.
http://president-sovet.ru/members/blogs/post/4210/
Beginner
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

VictorB, :)) Wow!! Interesting! She wasn't uncovered because she was a Soviet employee. She was very well prepared.
In any case, Punk can write something unpredictable. He can. I was convinced by his posts.
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Once a man was hospitalized in Russia. He was treated with anesthetic procedures. His doctor noticed that the patient's first words when he woke up were in English (the patient did not remember these moments). The doctor was surprised. The doctor read about illegal intelligence agents. He read that an agent can be uncovered when he can pronounce native words in an extreme situation. For example, if the agent is a woman, she may shout something in her native language when she feels pain during childbirth. Also, such a person can pronounce native words at the first moment of awakening from anesthesia. The doctor thought: "maybe the patient is a foreign spy! I love my country. My country won't be betrayed by me!" And he decided to call the counterintelligence service on the phone. So... he was starting to talk...

СпойлерПоказать
...to his supervisor, an counterintelligence service major. The man listened to the doctor's story and said, 'Hey, darling, wake up, you're screaming in your sleep again'.
За это сообщение автора Kind_Punk поблагодарил:
Beginner
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

Kind_Punk, Quite interesting, but... even my question was longer than your answer. You cut corners to relax, you slacked off. There is no limit to my frustration :((. I have to going to bed deeply unhappy man... .
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Beginner пишет: 22 окт 2020, 20:48 I have to going to bed deeply unhappy man... .
Sorry, I thought it would be funny ) Had a lot of work, too.
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Just a story I wrote when the trees were young )
СпойлерПоказать
The Love Beyond

When I came to senses, I understood that I'd gotten into a car crash. But I didn't expect what happened next.

I saw at my legs, and there was only blood. They were smashed. But I felt no pain.

I heard a gentle rapping at the car window. It was a girl.

"We have to go", she said.

I was going to point out that I couldn't, but somehow I managed to get out and stand on my perfectly uninjured legs.

Only now I got it. "It is the afterlife, right?"

"Yes", she said.

"But... You have to be like, the Grim Man, if I got it right," I was a bit confused.

"He is busy," said the girl. "Does it make any difference to you?"

I just shrugged.

"What if I won't go?" I didn't know why I asked.

She gave me a punch in the face.

I felt nothing. I mean, it was unexpected and my head jerked, but... no pain. I smiled.

"You can beat me until you get exhausted," I said. "I feel nothing."

The girl raised her hand... and then lowered it.

"Okay, stay here, all alone, and see what happened," she turned around and began to walk.

"Hey, wait. Okay, I will go with you," I said.

We were walking a couple of minute, then I asked, "Why a girl like you do this job?"

"Not your business," she answered. Was she... a bit confused?

"You are beautiful, you know that?" I said.

"Just shut up."

"Why are you so harsh?"

"Just shut your mouth."

Now I was really angry. "No, I won't. Have I died just to allow a naughty girl to treat me like shit?"

The girl was silent for a moment than said, "Well, just keep going."

"Where are we going, by the way?" I calmed a bit.

"To the pit."

"Sounds bad," I smiled.

"No other place for a mediocre," she snapped.

"But I am not!"

"Prove it."

I didn't know what made me do it, but I grabbed her and kissed. I thought she would be mad, but she... just froze.

"No one ever kissed me," she whispered with wide eyes. "Why did you do that?"

"I don't know. I just thought that the girl like you do not have to be that cruel," I told the truth.

"You... like me?"

"Yes." It was half-true, but... the pit. "At least she's pretty," I thought.

The girl stepped forward and hugged me. "All the people I have to pick up tried to kill me... Stupid... I forgot how to..." she trailed off.

"I understand... What's your name?"

"Aisa... No, it was Helen before I got this... job."

"So, you are the Grim Reaper's helper?"

"Yes," she smiled. And it was the best smile I ever saw.

"Let's go to my house," she suddenly said. I didn't protest. "The pit is out of question," I thought to myself with a smile.

No, I didn't resurrect. But I can't call us dead. Non-alive, maybe? But we're trying to keep things going, and the people (souls?) around us tell us they are happy more than when they were alive.

Grim Reaper sometimes visits us. And I can bet he smiles.
За это сообщение автора Kind_Punk поблагодарили (всего 2):
VictorB, acapnotic
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Just a story
Kind_Punk,
Nice tale, fairly well-penned; however, in need of a bit of editing here and there--word choice and grammar included. MHO;-)
Kind_Punk пишет: 13 ноя 2020, 22:16 ...tell us they are happy more than when they were alive
This made me smile wryly, though. On the whole, quite an entertaining, enjoyable read. Way to go!
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

VictorB пишет: 13 ноя 2020, 23:22 need of a bit of editing
It was the third edition ) Will be glad of pointed-out mistakes )
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Kind_Punk,
Kind_Punk пишет: 13 ноя 2020, 23:57 Will be glad of pointed-out mistakes )
Okay, but not right now--for it's already past midnight here and I'm about to hit the sack.
So, catch you later!)
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Kind_Punk,
Kind_Punk пишет: 13 ноя 2020, 23:57 Will be glad of pointed-out mistakes
Couldn't fall asleep hard as I tried, so I did the best I could--see my editing suggestions in your PMB ;-)
Kind_Punk
Ответить