Hyper consumption

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

IrinaS
Благодарил (а): 152 раза

Сообщение IrinaS »

I witness an alarming tendency of buying loads of things which we don’t need in reality. Or at least we can do without (We used to do without them, didn’t we?) for the sake of nature.
What I mean is a throw away culture and hyper consumption. We buy tons of disposable items, use them for a short period of time and pass them to nature for digesting.
I feel guilty and eagerness to reverse the amount of my consumption. Well, I mulled over this situation. There’s my list of things I can/could do without. How about you? What can you stop using / buying for the sake of nature?
- stop changing one tech device for another one: more innovative/ brand-new/ up-to-date etc. Be satisfied with the old one.
- part with the idea of buying a car.
- don’t buy a new thing before you find where to “place” the previous one (not to throw it away but to give someone who needs it or to deliver it to any recycling centre etc). Undoubtedly, it’s easier said than done. For example, there’s an old TV-set in my house. I don’t know/ I’m lazy how to get rid of it properly. So I just stopped watching TV at all several years ago.
- procrastinate new purchases if it’s possible
- stretch the lifespan of some appliances, if it’s possible.
- buy products in less wrapping. For example, reject liquid soap.
- try to use previous experience: how you / your parents could do without some things. For instance, it wasn’t a big deal for me to avoid using nappies for my child. So many benefits for his health as well.
- -……..
This topic is not about discussing whether it’s a workable solution to consume less. It’s about “What can you stop using / buying for the sake of nature? “ ))
Alistar
Благодарил (а): 1 раз

Сообщение Alistar »

I agree we need to shop wisely. Here is what I do to help conserve nature:
- I stopped using combustion engine cars, switched to fully electric, installed solar panels.
- To use less plastic: switched to reusable water bottles. Stopped using plastic straws and cutlery. Use my own shopping bags.
- Donate or resale electronic devices.
- Stopped printing unnecessary things.
- Stopped buying ready-to-eat frozen meals.
- Do proper waste sorting.

At least that's what I can recall off the top of my head.
За это сообщение автора Alistar поблагодарил:
IrinaS
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

Alistar пишет: 09 сен 2020, 17:23 Use my own shopping bags.
What do you use for trash can liners then? If I switch to reusable grocery bags, I just end up buying plastic garbage liners.
Alistar

Сообщение Alistar »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 сен 2020, 20:17 What do you use for trash can liners then? If I switch to reusable grocery bags, I just end up buying plastic garbage liners.
I still use plastic trash bags unfortunatly, but I am looking into switching to biodegradable/compostable options.
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

Alistar пишет: 09 сен 2020, 20:38 biodegradable/compostable options
I remember reading somewhere that they aren't as safe as they are claimed to be. I guess the ultimate solution is to produce less garbage? But wouldn't consuming less hurt the economy? And then we'd have less money for environmental protection. :-)
Alistar

Сообщение Alistar »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 сен 2020, 20:48
Alistar пишет: 09 сен 2020, 20:38 biodegradable/compostable options
I remember reading somewhere that they aren't as safe as they are claimed to be. I guess the ultimate solution is to produce less garbage?
Plastic shopping bags are lightweight, they fly around and you can find them everywhere - oceans, rivers, forests etc. That's much more concerning. Trash bags on the other hand are filled up with trash so they stay put in the dumps or burned, so it's the lesser evil.
За это сообщение автора Alistar поблагодарил:
Belka_Teacher
IrinaS
Благодарил (а): 152 раза

Сообщение IrinaS »

[/quote]
And then we'd have less money for
[/quote] for our pleasures, enjoyments, comforts etc. Otherwise it sounds like that "if we started polluting less, there will be more pollution". Unfortunately, it seems to me that for most people their personal comforts are their top priority. It's impossible to refuse doing something for the sake of nature if there's any kind of sacrifice in terms of comforts. And people usually start justifying their needs. Saying that I do not consider myself better than others. It's a daunting task for me too. But I decided to stop where I am and at least not to develop new "needs" and "necessities", to be more moderate when it comes to my wishes.
Kind_Punk
Благодарил (а): 172 раза

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

- stop changing one tech device for another one: more innovative/ brand-new/ up-to-date etc. Be satisfied with the old one.
Nokia 3310 still in use )
- part with the idea of buying a car.
Don't need one )
an old TV-set in my house.
If it's too old, make a shelf from its box. If it has a flat screen, turn it to a table )
- buy products in less wrapping. For example, reject liquid soap.
What is 'liquid soap? )
switched to reusable water bottles
Every plastic bottle is reusable )

Punks are extremely nature-friendly ))
Ответить

Вернуться в «Practise Your English»