Juliemiracle: blog

Личные дневники, заметки, темы для мелких вопросов и подобного. Не более трех тем для каждого участника форума.

Модератор: Aksamitka

Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

I'm going to somehow follow into [mention]Mary May[/mention]'s footsteps and try to limit my writing to the confines of this blog.
I'm also going to make some comments about other forum posts that I find interesting, adding the links to the source posts, of course.
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарили (всего 6):
Yety, mustang, Eager Beaver, Belka_Teacher, cherkas, Mary May
Ленья
Благодарил (а): 662 раза

Сообщение Ленья »

Изображение
Ленья

Сообщение Ленья »

Aksamitka, teach me how to learn learning sth in 5 min. Right now I need to be taught to learn to have "you rock" written instead of "я гриша" you know where.
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Ленья пишет: 04 окт 2020, 13:37
Juliemiracle пишет: 04 окт 2020, 13:20 It's World Teachers' Day tomorrow
Accept my congratulations then. :you_rock:
Congratulations are for achievements, not holidays.
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
Ленья
Ленья

Сообщение Ленья »

Internet explorer: "Browsers!!!" Изображение
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Chapter 9. Output Practice and Production
Part 2
• Chaos/complexity theory:
o C/CT deals with complex, dynamic, nonlinear systems, usually naturally occurring;
o as a result of use, lge system isn’t restructured/reweighted, it’s created;
o lge isn’t a closed, entropic system;
o lge development is an evolutionary process;
o morphogenesis – the generation of new patterns;
o emergentism – the complexity emerges at the global level from the repetition of fairly simple processes (e.g. flocks of birds, honeycombs);
o every mental and behavioral act is always emergent in a social context;
o acquisition and use are synchronous but not indistinguishable: if sb can use a new structure in a scaffolded practice, it doesn’t mean the structure will be available for later use;
o a lesson in humility: pay attention to individual learner differences – learner agency!;
o all a teacher can create together with their Ss is learning opportunities;
o teaching doesn’t cause learning, but we must act as if it does!!!
• Essential criteria for designing output practice activities:
o [meaningful & engaging];
o [focus on learning challenge (form/meaning/use)];
o grammatical form activities – frequent opportunities to use a target structure/pattern, but not mechanical repetition (e.g. 20-questions game);
o a whole-class activity = many exposures to the target pattern;
o making an activity inherently repetitive – have Ss carry out a series of related activities (e.g. passing on a message about a broken photocopier);
o a typical meaning-focused activity = TPR;
o the ideal number of new forms that can be associated with their meanings at one point in time = 3-6 (see J. Asher – TPR originator);
o when working on the use dimension, Ss must learn to make an appropriate choice according to given contextual constraints (e.g. role playing an interview).
• Working with textbooks:
o we need to diagnose the precise source of the problem and only then select the correct kind of exercise.
• Grading (overcoming the inert knowledge problem):
o the problem can be overcome when the conditions of learning match the conditions of use/recall – the practice activity should be “psychologically authentic”;
o “The central question is not what learners have to do to use lge naturally, but what they have to do to LEARN to use lge naturally” (Widdowson);
o grading criteria: 1) social scaffolding to independent production; 2) planning time; 3) modality match; 4) speed of output production; 5) information density; 6) predictability of lge use; 7) complexity of lge use; 8) self-generated lge use;
o generation effect – Ss remember best what they themselves construct, but there are tasks where reading practice helps more than self-generating associations;
o teaching is a contingent activity, so practice activities won’t always be authentically communicative, but will work toward authenticity.
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Ленья,
I can't see your image. What are you trying to post?
Ленья

Сообщение Ленья »

Juliemiracle пишет: 04 окт 2020, 16:43 What are you trying to post?
The issue is not the image per se. It’s just a humble emoji. Actually, my message is yet another attempt to get through to Aksamitka. Some Lenias are retards. It takes time for us to master such simple things as posting images. Would it do any harm if I edited my message a number of times so as to make it visible?
alanta
Благодарил (а): 544 раза

Сообщение alanta »

За это сообщение автора alanta поблагодарил:
Ленья
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Ленья пишет: 04 окт 2020, 21:36 Actually, my message is yet another attempt to get through to Aksamitka.
OIC
Ленья пишет: 04 окт 2020, 21:36 Some Lenias are retards.
Some Lenias are too hard on themselves :)
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
Ленья
cherkas
Благодарил (а): 4794 раза

Сообщение cherkas »

acapnotic пишет: 04 окт 2020, 13:57 Congratulations are for achievements, not holidays.
Today it sounds like Happy International Teacher’s Day! (from my American friend's post, she's a teacher)
За это сообщение автора cherkas поблагодарил:
Ленья
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Belka_Teacher (почему тут Future Perfect?)
[mention]Belka_Teacher[/mention]
I can only add that this "future perfect" for past reference is dealt with in Unit 11 of Advanced Grammar in Use by M. Hewings.
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарили (всего 3):
Belka_Teacher, cherkas, Michelangelo
Belka_Teacher
Благодарил (а): 3869 раз

Сообщение Belka_Teacher »

Juliemiracle, I've read the rules in this unit and could find only the reference to Future Perfect Continuous being used to talk about the past, not Future Perfect.
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Belka_Teacher, why don't you want to read Yety's explanation I have referred to in that thread before?
Yety (Future perfect и Future perfect continuous)
Yety (Future perfect и Future perfect continuous)
Belka_Teacher
Благодарил (а): 3869 раз

Сообщение Belka_Teacher »

Michelangelo, because I haven't read that thread yet, I have life outside of forum, you see)
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Belka_Teacher,
probably it fits this part (Hewings, U11):
The ... future perfect ... can also be used to say what we believe or imagine is happening around now:
Most people will have forgotten the fire by now.
+ Swan
218.5 expressing certainty about the present or past
Will have... can express similar ideas (express certainty or confidence) about the past.
As you will have noticed, there is a new secretary in the front office.
It's no use expecting Barry to turn up. He'll have forgotten.
+ 629.3
Dear Sir, You will have received a form...
We can't go and see them now - they'll have gone to bed.
Belka_Teacher
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Kind_Punk (School corporal punishment)
Kind_Punk пишет: 14 окт 2020, 16:17 Где Смокинг ин паблик - предположительно или место, или фамилия и имя заметившего/учителя
Bunbury Pond
Изображение
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарили (всего 2):
cherkas, Kind_Punk
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

почему тут Future Perfect? (Грамматика)
A bit more info for those who want to understand the context behind the paragraph about the museum.
Where to go to see a masterpiece

If Thomas Krens, the newly-appointed director of the Solomon R Guggenheim Foundation, had not gone jogging one April evening in 1991, his brainchild, the Bilbao Guggenheim - a metallic, post-modem, space-age museum - would almost certainly never have been built.

From the moment you leave the airport and wind through the green hills of Northern Spain towards the ochre-brown 19th century city of Bilbao, the Guggenheim Museum can be glimpsed in the distance, like a shiny, modem toy surrounded by hideous urban sprawl.

What on earth possessed the Guggenheim Museum to come to a place like Bilbao? The story goes something like this.

Bilbao is Spain's fourth largest city: a tough, sprawling, former shipbuilding community that faces out onto the Bay of Biscay.In the 1980s, the Basque regional government began a redevelopment programme for the city. They commissioned the best and the brightest in the international architectural world to design a new subway system, a new airport terminal, a new congress and music hall, and a new railway station. But, in order to cement the city's growing global reputation, they wanted an art museum.

In 1991 Basque officials approached the Guggenheim Foundation and met Thomas Krens, the fourth director in the museum's sixty-year history. Krens was eager to establish a European base for the Guggenheim and with this ambition in mind, he came to Bilbao.

But there was a problem. Krens could see at once that the site chosen by the city council for its new art museum, a former wine-bottling warehouse in the centre of town, was a non-starter. Krens had two models in his head - the Pompidou Centre and the Sydney Opera House. Both buildings had demanded an extraordinary amount of space, and Bilbao, an over-crowded riverside city, did not seem to have the space.

Then, by chance, Krens found the ideal site. An athletic man, he went out running one evening. His route took him past the Jesuit University overlooking the River Nervion, and it was here that he noticed, at one of the many curves of the river, a semi-derelict waterfront zone which was perfect for what he wanted to achieve.

The site was approved in a week, and Californian architect, Frank Gehry, was chosen to realise the project.

Gehry immediately fell in love with the eccentric Basque city and the place Krens had found for him on which to build the most important building of the century.

He says now, with affectionate laughter, 'What is it? A dirty river and a bunch of run-down buildings.' Yethe revelled in the chaos and dirt of the post-industrial environment, and was determined not to change anything about the waterfront site.

The Bilbao Guggenheim dominates the city at every turn. It is a contemporary art museum like no other, and a building that must rank as one of the eight wonders of the modem world. It's well worth a visit - and there are some interesting works of art inside too.
Source: NIO UI SB, p. 89
Изображение
cherkas, mikka, Mary May
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

* modem = modern
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

I'm reading the discussions about covid and DL in some threads and can't believe my eyes. Some people say we shouldn't close schools and unis even if there are loads of the sick in a particular organisation because it's not dangerous for kids and young people, and they have the right for face-to-face education. And what about us, teachers? Don't we count at all? Are we just collateral damage to you, people with children? We're at a much higher risk, especially those of us who have some health probs or whose immune system is weak. Also, many of us teach speaking practice where no appropriate social distance is actually possible. And yes, many students keep trying to remove the masks all the time although they talk non-stop.
In my city, two school teachers have died this week. They were from the same school and not particularly old.
Our hospitals are overflowing. They can't really help everyone who needs it. Patients are fighting in the triage areas.
So, sorry guys, but I'm scared and I want DL. Plus, I'm sure my classes will be no worse regardless of whether we work sitting in the same room or via Zoom -- it's just a question of competence.
Mary May, Eager Beaver, mustang
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

In Moscow state schools, I heard, they're sometimes practising what they call "tutoring" - it is recrouting undergraduate students to manage the classes f2f, monitored online by older/vulnerable school teachers who are at high risk to do it themselves.
The studetns are happy, I guess...
Последний раз редактировалось Mary May 18 окт 2020, 15:38, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
cherkas
cherkas

Сообщение cherkas »

Juliemiracle пишет: 18 окт 2020, 15:19 And what about us, teachers? Don't we count at all?
Lots of teachers would disagree with you. Lots of teachers have already been infected, recovered and are ready to work. Not only teachers are dying, but people of all professions. Many teachers are against quarantines, even here on the site.

But these are young people who could develop the collective immunity , which is impossible in quarantine, that's the main issue.
Последний раз редактировалось cherkas 18 окт 2020, 15:55, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Mary May,
I don't think it's right. It's just robbing Peter to pay Tom. Students have the right to study and not teach someone's kids, risking their health along the way. And of course, this is impossible for uni teachers - we're the only ones to work at uni in any case.
mustang
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

Juliemiracle пишет: 18 окт 2020, 15:35 It's just robbing Peter to pay Tom.
Exactly.
Here's the link:
https://meduza.io/feature/2020/10/15/v- ... ili-vybora
And what is more: it looks like the pedagogical students are deprived of any choice. Really mean.
Последний раз редактировалось Mary May 18 окт 2020, 15:44, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

cherkas,
then let each teacher decide for him/herself whether they want to work from home or go to class under the circumstances.
If we all fall ill, the later I'll fall ill, the better. I don't want to fall ill now because my chances for any medical help are practically non-existent at the moment.
And I don't think that somebody working from home online or one-to-one has any right to tell me if I should be scared or not. They have the choice at the moment, and I don't.
mustang
cherkas

Сообщение cherkas »

Juliemiracle пишет: 18 окт 2020, 15:42 then let each teacher decide for him/herself whether they want to work from home or go to class under the circumstances.
Well, I think it might be the decision. It's quite difficult to fulfil, but I think it's real. But there will be such a lot of quarrels about the pay, among the teachers, fist of all. However, schools and unis must work.

I've posted an immunologist's opinion that the collective immunity will have been developed in eight years. I don't think goverments will be continuing their policy as long.
Ответить

Вернуться в «Персональные темы»