Irregular Verbs For Any Varieties Of English

Словарный состав языка, выбор лексических единиц, как учить и запоминать новые слова, тесты и задания на знание лексики, специальная лексика, словари и другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

LearyJr
Благодарил (а): 11 раз

Сообщение LearyJr »

Dear EFL-FORUM.ru users,

Could you advise me any confirmed and verified professional books, topics or posters on extended irregular verbs' forms list with versions for NAmE (AmE+CaE), BrE, AE and other English lects? I've already got rid of checking my flashcards thrice.

Thank you very much!

Yours faithfully,
LearyJr.
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

LearyJr пишет: 16 июл 2020, 18:55 I've already got rid of checking my flashcards thrice.
What do you mean?
Why do you need that list? I, for one, don't use irregular verbs often besides those that are very common and it is about 200 verbs from any textbook (you can find them rather easily online).
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ent=psy-ab
LearyJr

Сообщение LearyJr »

Michelangelo пишет: 17 июл 2020, 09:44 What do you mean?
Why do you need that list?
Thank you for your message!

I mean comparative literature, posters and images on irregular verbs with their spellings by a variety of English, so that I'll be able to use correct past and pp verb forms in either US, Canada, UK or Australia.
Are there differences between BrE and NAmE only? Is it possible to compare verb forms for British, American, Canadian and Australian varieties of English?

Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

LearyJr пишет: 17 июл 2020, 13:03 Are there differences between BrE and NAmE only? Is it possible to compare verb forms for British, American, Canadian and Australian varieties of English?
There are tons of various dialects and they differ from each other. However, spelling is the same. Do you want to know all those dialects or only official version in each of those countries?
Anyway, I have never thought of that as I was not going to talk with any representative from any of those countries. My task was to learn letters and words without knowing how they are pronounced. I believe you have already known at least one version of English perfectly if you are trying to learn so many various accents, right?
LearyJr

Сообщение LearyJr »

Michelangelo пишет: 17 июл 2020, 13:09 Do you want to know all those dialects or only official version in each of those countries?
I believe you have already known at least one version of English perfectly if you are trying to learn so many various accents, right?
I'm trying just to know both BrE, NAmE (US+CaE) and AE. The main problem is that I can't determine correct irregular verb's forms when I use one of those four English varieties because they are written and spoken in those four English-speaking countries very different.
For example, most dictionaries and links don't give certain spellings of verb forms. According to Oxford and Merriam-Webster dictionaries, the past ant pp verb form 'SHINED' of the irregular verb 'SHINE' is used in NAmE. However, these links don't give any comments about spellings in BrE, CaE and AE. Instead, they only write "SHONE".
So what can we do?
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

LearyJr пишет: 17 июл 2020, 13:49 So what can we do?
Americans once tried to simplify English and started to form past tense and past participles by adding "ed" to some words, which have an irregular form in BrE. So you can find a list of irregular words in AmE, and in BrE. Of course those which now are formed as regular in AmE are not in the list, so use them as regular verbs and pronounce them accordingly. Of course you will be able to find their pronunciation in the dictionaries, but search for American pronunciation in American dictionaries, and British - in British ones.

However, some Americans continue to use old British forms of irregular verbs, and otherwise - some Brits are using new American forms as they watch a lot of American movies. It has become difficult to differentiate those two approaches nowadays.
https://ielanguages.com/english-irregular-verbs.html
http://www.paulnoll.com/Books/Clear-Eng ... rbs-1.html
За это сообщение автора Michelangelo поблагодарил:
LearyJr
Ответить