Teaching Kids VS teaching Older Students and Adults: your observations,analysis and insights

Личные дневники, заметки, темы для мелких вопросов и подобного. Не более трех тем для каждого участника форума.

Модератор: Aksamitka

Popsicle
Благодарил (а): 1579 раз

Сообщение Popsicle »

As a new teacher-of-English-to-be, I started teaching English to two vast and most common groups of students: kids and A1/A2 adults. Pre-Intermediate Upwards teens/young adults were a fairly less common occasion.

I remember well that despite the age and levels' being different, my range of Classroom Lanaguage and Communication Techniques remained pretty much the same. Naturally, some of these wouldn't work with a different age group, although performed well with the other.

I do believe this observation is a starting point for developing in a new direction (since one could hardly succeed in teaching various levels/age groups.)

So, in this thread I would like everyone to focus on the differences in communication, ways of mistake correction and motivation and, above all, approach that you realise work well in one case and prove helpless in the other.

My first and biggest example of misuse: Speak up!
Never use this phrase with teens and adults. Ever. This phrase is probably the worst communication killer of all. Similarly to Let's play, actually. Only it's much worse. Adults are speaking just the way they do. They don't need to be corrected in their speech pattern. Neither do they expect you to be an oratory coach (just a few of them, maybe.) Irritation, confusion and reluctance to speak at all will be the usual result. Although you meant it for the best. (Since you know how eagerly children react to this appeal of yours.) Adults are different.

to be continued
За это сообщение автора Popsicle поблагодарил:
Dream
Andrea
Благодарил (а): 3944 раза

Сообщение Andrea »

In this thread, users could practice their CAE/CPE writing as well.
Ответить