Intensive reading

Обсуждение книг на английском языке, домашнее чтение, правила чтения на английском языке. Развитие письменной речи. Эссе, деловое письмо и другие виды письменных работ.

Модератор: zymbronia

VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

For intensive reading, I've taken Tom Brown's Schooldays by T. Hughes. Written in the 19th century the book is not an easy read to me, so quite often I have to google for some phrases I meet for the first time. Most of them are easily googled but some are not, and it's the latter ones that I need help with.
For example, in the following paragraph, I can't fully grasp only two points:
СпойлерПоказать
O young England! young England! you who are born into these racing railroad times, when there's a Great Exhibition, or some monster sight, every year, and you can get over a couple of thousand miles of ground for three pound ten in a five-weeks' holiday, why don't you know more of your own birthplaces? You're all in the ends of the earth, it seems to me, as soon as you get your necks out of the educational collar, for midsummer holidays, long vacations, or what not—going round Ireland, with a return ticket, in a fortnight; dropping your copies of Tennyson on the tops of Swiss mountains; or pulling down the Danube in Oxford racing boats. And when you get home for a quiet fortnight, you turn the steam off, and lie on your backs in the paternal garden, surrounded by the last batch of books from Mudie's library, and half bored to death. Well, well! I know it has its good side. You all patter French more or less, and perhaps German; you have seen men and cities, no doubt, and have your opinions, such as they are, about schools of painting, high art, and all that; have seen the pictures of Dresden and the Louvre, and know the taste of sour krout. All I say is, you don't know your own lanes and woods and fields. Though you may be choke-full of science, not one in twenty of you knows where to find the wood-sorrel, or bee-orchis, which grow in the next wood, or on the down three miles off, or what the bog-bean and wood-sage are good for. And as for the country legends, the stories of the old gable-ended farmhouses, the place where the last skirmish was fought in the civil wars, where the parish butts stood, where the last highwayman turned to bay, where the last ghost was laid by the parson, they're gone out of date altogether.
First, what the author meant mentioning the taste of sour krout. That to the English, sour krout was of foreign cuisine and could be tasted only, say, in Germany, and to do so, one had to visit it at least once? One more detail to describe the love of traveling abroad? Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Second, why is "turned to bay" in "… where the last highwayman turned to bay" active.
(The search results show that there's an expression" bring someone/something to bay" meaning "to trap or corner a person or animal being hunted or chased". If "turn to bay" is a variant of "bring to bay", how come that a hijacker himself turned to bay?
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

The first one is easy )
You all patter French more or less, and perhaps German; you have seen men and cities, no doubt, and have your opinions, such as they are, about schools of painting, high art, and all that; have seen the pictures of Dresden and the Louvre, and know the taste of sour krout.
Вы все болтаете по-французски или даже по-немецки, знакомы с городским образом жизни,
имеете представление об искусстве,живописи, выдели картины в Дрездене и в Лувре
и даже знаете вкус (заморской) соленой капусты = sauerkraut
Короче вы все очень круты,везде побывали и все видели
а вот у себя дома .... совсем другая картина.

turned to bay = stand at bay
most likely...
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
VictorB
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

tourist пишет: 28 апр 2020, 18:55 Вы все болтаете по-французски или даже по-немецки, знакомы с городским образом жизни,
имеете представление об искусстве,живописи, выдели картины в Дрездене и в Лувре
и даже знаете вкус (заморской) соленой капусты = sauerkraut
Короче вы все очень круты,везде побывали и все видели
а вот у себя дома .... совсем другая картина.
+++
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

VictorB пишет: 28 апр 2020, 16:01 how come that a hijacker highwayman himself turned to bay?
ellipsis is also possible
[was] turned to bay (загнали в угол)
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
VictorB
Харбин Хэйлунцзян

Сообщение Харбин Хэйлунцзян »

VictorB пишет: 28 апр 2020, 16:01 the last highwayman turned to bay

По-моему надо идти от значений слова bay:

https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=bay
bay 4
n.
2. The position of one cornered by pursuers and forced to turn and fight at close quarters: The hunters brought their quarry to bay.
3. The position of having been checked or held at a distance: "He has seen the nuclear threat held at bay for 40 years" (Earl W. Foell).
v.tr.
3. To bring to bay: "too big for the dogs which tried to bay it" (William Faulkner).

Инфинитивом транзитивного глагола это быть не может. Значит рассматриваем значения существительного.
Вот буквально вчера было такое:
"Here is a place where a hundred men might hold an army at bay," I said to Otomie, little knowing that it would be my task to do so in a day to come.

Montezuma's Daughter, Henry Rider Haggard

Очевидно здесь значение 3 - держать на расстоянии, не подпускать.

А в прошлом году было такое:
David came out from under the bleachers to see a great semicircle of men, several ranks deep, closing in slowly on the corner of fence in which the deer was at bay.

Deer in the Works, Kurt Vonnegut

Очевидно здесь значение 2 - быть лицом к преследователям. То есть это положение лицом к преследователям - не важно смирился ли ты и тебя сейчас разорвут или ты собираешься их разорвать. Важно что ты уже не убегаешь а повернулся к ним лицом.

turn to bay

Глагол turn может быть транзитивным и означает "повернуть" в это положение.
Глагол turn может быть нетранзитивным и означает повернуться в это положение.

Ellipsis такой я никогда не встречал а нетразитивное использование находится элементарно:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22turn ... d_max:1899

-
За это сообщение автора Харбин Хэйлунцзян поблагодарил:
VictorB
Milanya
Благодарил (а): 149 раз

Сообщение Milanya »

Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 28 апр 2020, 21:10 Очевидно здесь значение 3 - держать на расстоянии, не подпускать.
Roaring wind and deep blue water!
We're the jolly devils who,
Back to back against the mainmast,
Held at bay the entire crew.
Ветер воет, море злится, -
Мы, корсары, не сдаем.
Мы - спина к спине - у мачты,
Против тысячи вдвоем!
- Сердца трех
- Джек Лондон
За это сообщение автора Milanya поблагодарил:
mustang