Films, books, events and etc

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Khaletskiy91
Благодарил (а): 1 раз

Сообщение Khaletskiy91 »

Hello. I created the theme for improving my English. I have been learning English for a long time. I'm self-taught expert. I'm a little out of practice. It's my main problem. Here I wanna write about interesting events, books, movies and etc. I beg you to help me. Correct my sentences, make criticize, give some advice. I"ll try to do the interesting themes. Thank you in advance.
Khaletskiy91

Сообщение Khaletskiy91 »

Recently I read "At Bertram's hotel". This is a novel, written by Agatha Christie. I have been loving her books since my childhood. That's a bit more than usual crime stories. There are many hidden meanings and minds. "At Betram's hotel" is about a jewelry hold-up, an absence of parents and the past times. The hotel looked like in old days. The author spoke to us: "The past times must go and never go back" The character Miss Marple was an old woman who stayed at this hotel. She had stayed at the hotel in her childhood. She didn't like the old style. She did against the past. People must live here and now. People must make for the future. She had some cautions about the things were standing out. She appeared to be right. The past times were a mistake, a figment and a crime. That's unusual that elderly woman spoke to us: live in present time and not to think about the past. What do you think about it? How often do you remember some past times?
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Khaletskiy91 пишет: 18 апр 2020, 00:41 Correct my sentences, make criticize, give some advice.
mate, you've made a number of mistakes of all sorts.
I'll point out a few just to get the ball rolling
and not to scare you off completely. )

- I created the theme this topic / thread;
using theme in your context is Runglish

- I have been loving her books... is grammatically possible, but sounds a bit McDonald's-ish

- She did against the past. Did what?

- People must make for the future. Make what?
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Khaletskiy91 пишет: 18 апр 2020, 00:42 That's unusual that elderly woman spoke to us: live in present time and not to think about the past. What do you think about it?
Maybe she had caught herself thinking about the good old days too often. Young people are unlikely to have this rule of not thinking about the past because they don't need it. They don't think much about it anyway. Their future is (or seems) a lot larger and brighter, so their attention is naturally drawn to it. But what can an old lady expect from the future? Aging, sickness and death? All good things are in the past. Well, if you are a believer in Jesus Christ, you can think about your future life in the kingdom of God. But your earthly life is practically over and your future on earth is small and uninspiring, and it's only natural that you avoid thinking about it.

Of course, not all that is natural is good. Washing hands before a meal isn't natural but it's reasonable and a good thing to do. So is, probably, this advice to think about the future, however small it is, since it's the only life that you have. The past is lost. Just like the food that you have eaten and shat (or shit, if you prefer the canonical form of the verb). You can't eat it again, can you? However frugal is the food that you can afford today, it's still food. What you ate yesterday is shit. So there is definitely some sense in this advice to let the past go, regardless of your age.
Khaletskiy91

Сообщение Khaletskiy91 »

tourist, thanks) it's a typo. I meant she objected against the past.
Khaletskiy91

Сообщение Khaletskiy91 »

acapnotic, Habitations, rules, laws and traditions are parts of the present times. Many people wanna live some old events again. We can't return the best things. We can do the new best things. The author wrote that these tryings were harmful for people. If someone is able to render the past, it's a mirage. The mirage which ruined lives.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Khaletskiy91, well, maybe I have to read the novel to properly understand what you are talking about. I don't remember reading it. Actually I haven't read any of her books in English, only in Russian. And I don't remember which ones. It was long ago, in the pre-Internet era, when English books were slightly less exotic than cangaroos in our parts.
knighterrant
Благодарил (а): 2 раза

Сообщение knighterrant »

One would think that the silver lining of being in lockdown mode is some quality reading time, but I've been doing nothing but doom surfing ever since the pandemic broke out. :/ Good luck to you in your reading endeavors!
Khaletskiy91

Сообщение Khaletskiy91 »

acapnotic, Do you read any books in English?
Khaletskiy91

Сообщение Khaletskiy91 »

knighterrant, Thanks) To tell the truth, I started to read some books when I had started to learn English. I have been reading each day since it. Before I read a little and not thoughtfully.
Chaika
Благодарил (а): 6 раз

Сообщение Chaika »

Khaletskiy91, Please write "want to" and not "wanna". They are pronounced almost the same (in AmEnglish), so stick to the standard language if you don't want to seem illiterate.

fixed ::To tell the truth, I started reading books when I started learning English. I have been reading every day since then. Before then I read little and not thoughtfully.
За это сообщение автора Chaika поблагодарил:
Khaletskiy91
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Khaletskiy91 пишет: 27 апр 2020, 01:01 Do you read any books in English?
Yes, now and then I read a book. But now I usually read them slowly, paying attention to the language. And they are mostly non-fiction.

If you are not going to become an English fiction writer, why would you want to learn English from fiction books? Especially from old ones, like Dickens or Joyce. Definitely they are not written in the language people speak (or write) in real life when they simply want to express their thoughts. I think it's much more reasonable to use blogs for that purpose. If the author is intelligent and educated, that's exactly the grammar and vocabulary you need to learn. After you have mastered it and if you want more, you can go further, but definitely not from the very beginning.

Well, if someone is learing English precisely to be able to read fiction books in it, that's another matter, of course.
Khaletskiy91

Сообщение Khaletskiy91 »

acapnotic, I am able to read different books cause I have a big vocabulary. I read old and modern literature. I can read juristical, economical, medical artickles. I enjoy reading. Learning English for me is an immersion in culture. I see movies, listen to the music. I will be able to read William Shakespeare in English language.
Khaletskiy91

Сообщение Khaletskiy91 »

So many pronouns "I". It's so selfish)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Khaletskiy91, that's great. Your vocabulary must be a lot larger than mine. Of course, if you enjoy reading old books, it's OK to do it.

Personally I think that English has too many words, more than is necessary. Whenever I stumble, in a book, over a word that turns out to be just another synonym of a word I already know, I can't help getting annoyed.
Khaletskiy91 пишет: 28 апр 2020, 23:29 So many pronouns "I". It's so selfish)
Not at all. I don't know how we can avoid this pronoun when we talk about ourselves. Maybe it stands out because it's capitalized.
Khaletskiy91

Сообщение Khaletskiy91 »

acapnotic, I try to learn 100 new words every week. I have been learning for three years. And I iterate every six months. It's so difficult but useful. At the beginning I used to old soviet dictionary. My granny had bought one when she went to the school. It's funny. There's a word "kulak". I thought that is "fist". And there is a word "slippery". A meaning of this word in Soviet dictionary is "shoes for a flat". There wasn't a word "тапочки" in 1950th.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Khaletskiy91 пишет: 03 май 2020, 00:00 "slippery"
Slippers. :) As for 'kulak', I saw it just recently in a book I'm reading now. So it's used in an appropriate context. But of course it has to be explained on the spot, or the reader won't understand it. It's definitely not as well known as the word 'cowboy' in our parts. :)
Khaletskiy91 пишет: 03 май 2020, 00:00 I try to learn 100 new words every week. I have been learning for three years. And I iterate every six months. It's so difficult but useful.
I can't imagine myself doing that. I would break down pretty soon. I tried to learn words from lists rather long ago, but it probably didn't last long. So most of them were learned from books and other texts I've read.
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Khaletskiy91 пишет: 04 май 2020, 19:46 There was no such word as "тапочки" in the 1950s.
Well, perhaps it did come to be used a little earlier than that, but still:
тапочки, тапочек, тапочками
The word can be found in a 1951 book for pre-school educators:
Дошкольное воспитание - Страница 27, 1951 пишет:Оля. И я Оля!
Дети. У нее (куклы) тапочки. И у меня тапочки.
Воспитатель. У куклы тапочки, и у всех детей тапочки. Снимем теперь с куклы тапочки. Ваня, ты сними тапочки с куклы Оли и поставь их под стул. И чулочки сними. Лиза ...

Would never have thought the word could be that recent.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

There seems to be a book from 1941 there, with that word. And I guess the word should have been known well enough by that time to get into it, i.e. it should have existed for quite a while.
Khaletskiy91

Сообщение Khaletskiy91 »

Maybe the word was slang.
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

acapnotic пишет: 05 май 2020, 07:26 it should have existed for quite a while.
For sure.
Ответить