The novice begins to

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Beginner
Благодарил (а): 36 раз

Сообщение Beginner »

acapnotic, .
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

Изображение [/img]
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

Hell
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

Изображение
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Beginner, maybe the image is too big to put it directly between IMG tags. But it works with a more complex link.
Изображение
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
Beginner
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Beginner пишет: 23 окт 2020, 15:36 The sentence is "The strange acapnotic's opinion isn't being accepted by our friendly community." I am putting the question for the word "our". What should I use? - "What friendly community... ?" or "Whose friendly community... ?"
Well, the problem is, I've never asked such questions or even thought about asking them. It seems a bit artificial. In real life, you'd most likely just say, "What community, etc". Whose community? Hmm... It doesn't seem correct to me. Even though 'whose country' does. Maybe this community isn't ours in the same sense as our country. Or I may be wrong.
The strange acapnotic's opinion
That seems to mean "(The strange acapnotic)'s opinion", i.e. it's me who's strange, not the opinion. I think it should be "acapnotic's strange opinion".

See? This is why we need more practice. Because when you see these phrases in a book, you just run through them, not paying much attention. And then you can't answer a simple question from a beginner. :)
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

acapnotic, I just did what I did at school. We often get the sentence and we had to put as many questions as possible. For each word, if possible. I agree with you that "Whose community... " sounds strange. I even put the question for word "opinion" and get this "What the acapontic's strange isn't being accepted... ?", but it should be just "What isn't being accepted... ?"
acapnotic пишет: 23 окт 2020, 16:09 I think it should be "acapnotic's strange opinion".
Yeah, that's my bad. It must be as you've written.
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

acapnotic, I can answer like you, but I have to say something like "It becomes worse, I guess", not "Deteriorating gradually". "Deteriorating" :). Decline, degenerate, descend, devolve, regress - these words I'd understand yet. But "deteriorating"! Such words I will use through 3 years, I hope. Maybe never.
It may be inappropriate to write about diseases here, but as I understand it, you can write about anything in your topic. Besides, I practice English. Well, it becomes worse. I will try to describe a little more. As I wrote in the first post I have some problem with emotional sphere and attention but in addition, about six years ago a strange senses appeared. The senses related with my body. I started to feel like I have other body (energy body, emotional double) parallel my ordinary physical body. It was appearing gradually. It is something like body hallucination. When I did any moving second body did the same moving but with a time-delay about half second or a little less. Different tests had shown that I haven't anything physical (materialistic) reasons for such strange feelings. It didn't disturb me much because the senses weren't strong. But now they are strong especially near head and neck areas. I feel something like cotton balls pressing down on me from the inside and outside.
I also have painful senses, not strong but it has (but I don't know why, it isn't a material body). I feel it constantly and it makes discomfort. I tried my best to help myself. I was taking a different pills, I was visiting the psychotherapist but I didn't get any enhancements. Absolutely nothing. For sorry. It seems that in the future these feelings will become more.

Other problem is migraine. Not just a headache, but classical migraine. First, half of the field of vision falls out. Then, after half an hour, vision is restored and a very severe headache gradually begins to grow. It lasts about 5 hours, and besides, it also vomits :(. It's interesting that it may not be (ее может не быть) for several years and then it may be almost every two days for a month as it was a couple of month ago. Fortunately, I haven't migraine now.
I know that I inherited it from one of the member of my family through mother line. But that person has not same severe pain and she has learnt struggle with it, has learnt to stop it, when it just appearances. Using pills.

Third problem that I have is (Hey, don't you tired? This list is endless ;). And where is Easy-Breasy, that nice, clever girl. She'll say that I feel sorry for myself, won't she? :) ). Third problem is dizzy. Three years ago I decided to do a certain procedure. it should have affected the vestibular apparatus (it is that system that help people's physical body be in balance, I guess you know). Since this system begins to form first in the womb, and other systems are already superimposed on it, it is assumed that by influencing this system we will be able to achieve changes in other systems. In my case, in the psyche. I was given an injection that turns off the cells of the vestibular apparatus. Of course, a person gets dizzy. And I got it. This is a side effect. After two months, the cells are restored and the dizziness stops. But my dizziness has been going on for 3 years (!). And over the past year it has become stronger. I did a special tests that showed that the cells of the system have not recovered, they are dead and nothing can be done. Another doctor gave me some exercises that he said might improve the situation a little. I don't know why it happened. I don't know why other people's system recovered. I shouldn't have done it, risked it. I asked the doctor: "If the system responsible for the balance is dead, how do I keep the balance? "He replied that this system has several parts and that the part of this system that is in the brain helps to maintain balance. But it's not hard for me to keep my balance. Just when I move the image, the picture is very shaky - this is more hard. If I run, it shakes even more . It looks like it's forever. It sucks.

But what to do is life. I believe that no matter how difficult your life, sooner or later relief will come. After death for sure :).

"There are millions of galaxies above us, hundreds of millions of stars, and we are all lost in this infinite space. Who knows who we are?" Vincent, the movie "Collateral".
За это сообщение автора Beginner поблагодарил:
acapnotic
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Beginner, a second body is a really strange thing. I can't even imagine how it feels. We truly understand only what we've experienced ourselves, and I haven't ever had anything like that odd sensation. Dizziness is familiar to me, of course, but a constant one must really suck.
Beginner пишет: 24 окт 2020, 01:08 I believe that no matter how difficult your life, sooner or later relief will come. After death for sure :).
Indeed. Sometimes, when I feel overwhelmed by problems, this realization helps me relax. I say to myself that there's an end to everything. That with my every breath I get one step closer to the end of all suffering and all problems. That this end is inevitable, even if I don't do anything. Everything is transient. Time never stops. Usually my anxiety subsides and I can fall asleep, even though before this little meditation it seemed unlikely to happen soon.
Beginner
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Beginner,
Michelangelo пишет: 22 окт 2020, 08:49 Beginner, Mate, your grammar and writing is bad because you keep using google to write. Give up google translate and your grammar and writing will soar to the B2 level in no time
I'm with Michelangelo on this.

Do you really think that using translation websites/services has anything to do with practicing written English?
It would make sense using them when you have to communicate with someone who can't read Russian.
In this case, using online translators will be the only option--given that your command of English is not yet sufficient to render to English some of the thoughts that may race through you Russian-thinking mind.
But writing the entire text in Russian and having it mechanically translated in order to copy-past the translation as your original writing... What's the use, I wonder?
For example, the service you're using suggested "But what to do is life." What do you think it's supposed to mean? "Ho что поделаешь--такова жизнь"?
I think that if you really wish to further whatever English you've had so far, you should once and for all stop relying on any online Russian-to-English "translator".
In case you just can't help using it, I'd suggest that you take some time and effort reading and editing you posts before clicking on the "отправить" button. The matter is that the translators just skip numerous mistakes in their translations, and some of those mistakes are outright glaring even for a beginner.

By the way, the forumers with somewhat higher levels of their English will immediately detect translations made by a machine :-)
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
Beginner
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

VictorB, Do you really think I am a man who can belive that he can improve writing skill the way you've described? I don't do as you've written. I guess, Michelangelo and me didn't understand each other and you agreed with him. To do the way you've described is just self-tricking.
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

VictorB, Normally, I don't do that. But sometimes I can use internet machine directly, as you described, if I haven't time to finish my text before sending.
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

VictorB,
VictorB пишет: 24 окт 2020, 13:26 But what to do is life." What do you think it's supposed to mean? "Ho что поделаешь--такова жизнь"?
My option was: "But what we can do? That is life." I don't remember
the russian sentence but the Transletor suggested me: "But what to do is life." I thought it is more Englishstyle and chose it ). My option seemed to me too simple. Now I see that sentence "But what to do is life." is strange. ( "Но что делать есть жизнь." "Но что делать является жизнью"). I choose a option which translator suggests me because I think that translator more clever than me and its variants are more readable for a readers.
Последний раз редактировалось Beginner 24 окт 2020, 19:59, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

Beginner пишет: 24 окт 2020, 19:47belive
believe.
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

Beginner пишет: 24 окт 2020, 19:47 really think I am a man who can
the man?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Beginner пишет: 24 окт 2020, 19:47 I don't remember the russian sentence but the Transletor suggested me: "But what to do is life."
This is it, probably.
Beginner
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Beginner пишет: 24 окт 2020, 19:58the man?
No, 'a man' is correct here because you talk about 'such a man', not 'that man'.
Beginner
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

acapnotic, Once you answered:
alex789 пишет: ↑Write a book and become a best-selling author or start a blog and reach 10 thousand views per day.
There are plenty of opportunities out there ;).

Acapnotic: If you have something interesting to say, but that's a rare case.

What does this sentence mean? Who is "you" here? Alex789 or paveltashkinov? I understood it as alex789 has written a something interesting, but usually his posts aren't interesting. If I'm right don't you think you could hurt the soul of alex789?
Maybe you didn't mean one of these persons.

The sentence is starting with "if".
Если у вас есть что-то интересное сказать, но это редкий случай.
Тот случай, когда вы говорите что-то интересное, но это редкость.
Hmm... Maybe you said about a virtual person who will write bestseller?
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Beginner пишет: 24 окт 2020, 22:02 If I'm right don't you think you could hurt the soul of alex789?
Maybe you didn't mean one of these persons.
In informal contexts the pronoun you may be used to refer to people in general:
Getting good results gives you confidence.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... nglish/you (2)
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
Beginner
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Beginner, yes, I meant an imaginary wannabe author of a bestseller, not anyone in particular. We can use 'one' for that purpose, but it's considered formal and so would probably sound odd in an informal context: "If one has something interesting to say, which is a rare case". But this scale of (in)formality is mostly a mystery to me. I simply use the word that I remember has the required meaning. Whether it was marked 'formal' or 'informal' in the dictionary, I don't usually remember.

You are right that we should be careful with this impersonal 'you'. Usually context makes its meaning clear, but you still run the risk of being misunderstood.
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

acapnotic, Do you have any speaking practice in English? Maybe you work for an international company with foreign employees and you speak with them. Is your speaking skill as well as reading and writing?
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

Is you speaking skill as good as your reading and writing?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Beginner пишет: 26 окт 2020, 21:52 Is you speaking skill as good as your reading and writing?
No. I've never worked on it. My listening is better but still sucks. I just don't have a use for them or interest in playing with them. I've always been a reader and much prefer information and entertainment in written form, even in Russian.

What about you? Do you prefer movies and podcasts to books and articles? If so, you'll soon be ahead of me with regard to understanding oral speech, or you may already be.
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

acapnotic,
acapnotic пишет: 27 окт 2020, 08:17 Do you prefer movies and podcasts to books and articles?
I more prefer listening to podcasts. At the beginning, I thought that listening to something in English is very difficult and it will take a long time to understand even simple speech. But now I can see that I'm not bad at perceiving even native speakers. This is true for the podcasts I listen to. Most often I listen to ESL podcasts and "Six minutes English podcast". But these podcasts are intended for those who are learning English. When I turn on native speaker podcasts, I certainly don't understand everything they say. I can certainly understand the topics of podcasts. Often each word is familiar to me, but I don't have time to connect them into a meaningful sentence - the narrator speaks too fast and, perhaps, this is the result of memorizing words using lists. (I like to learn words by means of the lists, unfortunately:)).
acapnotic пишет: 27 окт 2020, 08:17 If so, you'll soon be ahead of me with regard to understanding oral speech, or you may already be.
This point is far yet, I guess.

I think you can improve your listening and speaking skills quite easily with your English experience. You probably just don't need it.
Beginner

Сообщение Beginner »

I'm good at consuming and bad at producing English, as it usually happens.
Ответить

Вернуться в «Practise Your English»