Let's practice English: staying safe of COVID-19

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

acapnotic пишет: 08 апр 2020, 16:28 we don't like the appearance of our enemies
And what makes you think viruses and doctors are necessarily enemies? You seem to be leading the witness here. What is your agenda exactly, mister? :-)
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 08 апр 2020, 17:19 And what makes you think viruses and doctors are necessarily enemies?
That's a very strange question. Why do doctors wear masks if they and viruses are friends? Why don't they invite them in instead? They even help other people to get rid of them. That's not how friends behave, is it?
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

They say a good laugh strengthens immune function. Also, humor is said to be very helpful in overcoming fear and putting life’s trials and tribulations into a positive perspective by making them seem smaller. Besides, it triggers our creativity and allows us to take less seriously what's going on around us.
If it is really so, why, staying in self-isolation, not have a good laugh listening to "lockdown parodies"?

За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
acapnotic
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Well, our remote ancestors somehow managed without toilet paper. They didn't even have newspapers and magazines, let alone Ulysses, to use for that. I'm afraid we'll never know what they actually did. Whether they simply got up when finished and went on or used their fingers to remove the leftover. Sure they could have gone to some water stream and wash their butts, but not in winter.
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

acapnotic пишет: 11 апр 2020, 07:13 I'm afraid we'll never know what they actually did.
But we do know it! Everyone had had their own method of staying clean very long before the paper was invented and later came into use as an asswipe.
http://www.toiletpaperhistory.net/toile ... let-paper/
https://historum.com/threads/how-did-th ... ass.91891/
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
acapnotic
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

VictorB, thanks for the links. Very informative, especially the second one. So, I guessed a couple of methods correctly. I also recalled later the use of stones for that purpose (pebbles). Someone told me quite a long ago that Kazakhs used them in the past. I thought it was most likely a joke, but now I see that it can be true.
Khaletskiy91
Благодарил (а): 1 раз

Сообщение Khaletskiy91 »

I am tired of the self-isolation. Spring 2020 witnesses a great event in a history of mankind. Now people are watching Belarus. The outbreak of COVID are showing us that people didn't learn one's lesson from past. We did the same mistakes which had done during the outbreaks of plaque, cholera, Spanish flu. Our gaps are hygiene, religion, carelessness, greed. People are looking for someone to blame. What do you think? WHO and China made mistakes? Could their policy guidance restrist the outbreak of COVID?
Ответить