Let's practice English: staying safe of COVID-19

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

The coronavirus is usually transmitted through respiratory droplets (from an infected person sneezing or coughing).

It is surprising but the most efficient way to decontaminate things from virus is to dry them or leave alone for long period of time:

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/n ... s-surfaces
The virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stable for several hours to days in aerosols and on surfaces

The scientists found that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.
The article provides the most important measures:
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Stay home when you are sick.
Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
I searched for materials that are the best for DIY face mask. Following article are exceptionally nice: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/bes ... ask-virus/

I used patterns from this page https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cloth-Face-Mask/ to make my own DIY face mask.

It is amazing how people can be stupid: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2020/0 ... -heat-cure It discusses blowing hot air into your nostrils ))
Егор
Благодарил (а): 37 раз

Сообщение Егор »

I used patterns from this page https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cloth-Face-Mask/ to make my own DIY face mask.
Ever thought of cranking them out to sell? You'll be rich!
gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Егор пишет: 24 мар 2020, 23:00 Ever thought of cranking them out to sell?
It took me 1h to make one. It is not the efficient way of mass producing ))
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

Staying safe... staying sane...
Might be near-synonymous these days )
Sane and calm.
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Staying safe.

Изображение
Егор

Сообщение Егор »

Mary May пишет: 06 апр 2020, 14:52 Staying safe... staying sane...
Might be near-synonymous these days )
Sane and calm.
Oh Mary May, Mary May, the only woman with common sense these days:))
acapnotic пишет: 06 апр 2020, 15:52 Изображение
I can't believe this is my life!
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Егор пишет: 06 апр 2020, 17:41 I can't believe this is my life!
I can't either. It all looks like a movie. Fortunately people don't turn into zombies because of this virus. Or maybe they will, later. Beware! Keep your brain in a secure place. They'll want it.
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
Егор

Сообщение Егор »

acapnotic пишет: 07 апр 2020, 07:42 Fortunately people don't turn into zombies because of this virus. Or maybe they will, later. Beware! Keep your brain in a secure place. They'll want it.
Sometimes I think being a zombie is not as bad as everybody thinks. If I were a zombie now, I could maybe have more of a purpose than just staying home and pretending I'm safe - I'm seriously getting bedsores on my buttocks any day now, if I keep sitting and waiting for all this craziness to end.

Anyway, remember how the old Russian saying goes? –
СпойлерПоказать
Человек человеку волк, а зомби зомби зомби.
Whether we're still humans or zombies - sadly it doesn't make any difference, except for when we turn into zombies – I guess, we'll probably just become more adventurous eaters, but socially we'll still be the same.

Business idea incidentally -- remember how face masks became suddenly so hard to come by? I think we all should buy a lot of sporks now, yes sporks, because, when we all turn into zombies - believe me, these guys will be a lot more harder to get.
СпойлерПоказать
Изображение
In my opinion, sporks are super best way to eat human brains with - like seriously no doubt!!

Jokes aside, I'm usually positive on things in general, but this is just getting too depressing and "suffocating" even for me. Let's hope we won't be waiting for too long before it all ends and gets forgotten.
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Егор пишет: 07 апр 2020, 12:57 Let's hope we won't be waiting for too long before it all ends and gets forgotten.
I wish I were half this optimistic about how it all ends, still less when(((
As for it being soon forgotten--of course not until the aftermath has been completely coped with, at least the immediate one. But first things first--and here we all have yet to survive, which I heartily wish you all)
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

acapnotic пишет: 07 апр 2020, 07:42 people don't turn into zombies because of this virus
Are you sure about that? :-)
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарили (всего 2):
gavenkoa, acapnotic
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Easy-Breezy English, that's what I meant when I said that maybe they would. :) So now we have at least one. Those sleepy Finns probably weren't quick enough to bury him/her.
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
Easy-Breezy English

acapnotic пишет: 07 апр 2020, 17:25 So now we have at least one.
It's the healing power of toilet paper.

Изображение
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Easy-Breezy English, yes, apparently that Finn ran out of it and couldn't buy it anywhere. But I'm curious how exactly they use it. Do they wind it around their body (that's why they need so much of it)? Or do they eat it? Maybe something in its smell repels the virus. In that case it could be reasonable to put it in your mask and breathe through it. You seem to know everything about this matter, so I'm sure you have some ideas. :)
Easy-Breezy English

acapnotic пишет: 08 апр 2020, 07:00 But I'm curious how exactly they use it.
To TP the virus, of course. Duh!

Изображение

Zombies seem to take an acute interest in it as well. For their special zombie reasons that will be never revealed to us, I suppose.

acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Easy-Breezy English, the picture doesn't work, unfortunately. And what is TP?
Easy-Breezy English

acapnotic пишет: 08 апр 2020, 09:54 the picture doesn't work
Are you sure? You need to see it to appreciate the grandness of this strategy. :-)
The pic is from here:
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/why-a ... -pandemic/

To TP something is to throw toilet paper at it so that it unrolls en route. Something you would do to your ex's house.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 08 апр 2020, 10:09 To TP something is to throw toilet paper at it so that it unrolls en route.
This made me recall an episode from the South Park cartoon series and re-read the synopsis to find out that the collocation "toilet paper" can be used as a "full-fledged" verb:
Synopsis: Cartman convinces the boys to toilet paper their art teacher's house as revenge for keeping them after school. After the fact, Kyle is overwhelmed with guilt and on the verge of confessing his part in the prank. Officer Barbrady is hot on the perpetrators' trail, while Cartman contemplates killing Kyle so he doesn't rat them out.
https://southpark.fandom.com/wiki/Toilet_Paper
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
Easy-Breezy English
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Easy-Breezy English, yes, I can see it in the article. I didn't know the virus is so big. Why do we need masks, I wonder? You simply see the virus and run away from it. It doesn't have wings and so won't be able to chase you. Obviously it just floats with the wind. I think its size is the main reason people need toilet paper -- they get scared and shit their pants.
Easy-Breezy English

acapnotic пишет: 08 апр 2020, 11:47 Why do we need masks, I wonder?
Not to scare the virus. It's sensitive.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
VictorB
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 08 апр 2020, 12:29 acapnotic пишет: ↑44 минуты назад
Why do we need masks, I wonder?
Not to scare the virus. It's sensitive.
ROFL!
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 08 апр 2020, 12:29 Not to scare the virus. It's sensitive.
Sorry, but I can't agree. People in masks are much more scary to a virus because they resemble doctors, its worst enemies. So the reason for wearing them is clearly the opposite.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

acapnotic пишет: 08 апр 2020, 14:39 People in masks are much more scary to a virus because they resemble doctors
Not until it meets a doctor when it may already be a bit too late for it to get scared of anyone else wearing a face-mask, I hope:-)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

VictorB, many of them must have met doctors and escaped from them, to be sure. Suppose you visit a doctor and then go out and cough or sneeze, spreading your viruses around. Those viruses will be aware about the existence of doctors and of their appearance. They will pass this info to other viruses, and soon it will be common knowledge among them.
Easy-Breezy English

acapnotic пишет: 08 апр 2020, 14:39 People in masks are much more scary to a virus because they resemble doctors, its worst enemies.
You are making way too many presuppositions about this virus. How do YOU know what it likes? Even TRUMP is unsure!
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Easy-Breezy English, who is Trump? Some guy elected by our trolls in Facebook. He is bound to know nothing about anything.

My presuppositions are based on a very solid ground: we don't like the appearance of our enemies. Why should viruses be different in that respect? Don't they want to live, make a family and produce kids? Doctors, on the other hand, are bent on preventing them from achieving those goals. It's only natural for a reasonable virus to avoid them like the plague and do it as quickly as possible. Anyone who resembles them is best avoided because a mistake will cost too much.
Ответить