Transitive verb 'walk' in the Passive Voice

Обсуждение вопросов, нюансов и тонкостей грамматики английского языка любого уровня.

Модератор: zymbronia

Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Sentence: We walked 4 miles yesterday.
The question is whether it could be changed into the Passive Voice or not. The grammar book says you can't, but it's Russian and not 100% reliable.
But when I check the charactersitics of the verb in dictionaries, I see it's transitive (has the object '4 miles') and non-stative, which means it can be used in the Passive.
However, when I google the examples with sth was/were walked, I immediately notice that the pool of examples is relatively small.
I feel that although technically it can be used in the Passive, the idea of 'walk' as being primarily intransitive usually prevents people from using it passively. Also, if we consider the use of the Passive for the sake of focusing (the thematic-rhematic relationships shift), there's hardly any valid reason for using the Passive in the sentence at the beginning of my post.
This is all my personal opinion, but I'll be grateful for other insights and perhaps links to prove that I'm either right or wrong.
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Juliemiracle пишет: 22 фев 2020, 16:17 there's hardly any valid reason for using the Passive in the sentence at the beginning of my post.
this!
but the operative word is hardly
as we can always find some exotic context for using the passive voice ...
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Juliemiracle
nikolai ivanovich
Благодарил (а): 28 раз

Сообщение nikolai ivanovich »

tourist пишет: 22 фев 2020, 17:13 as we can always find some exotic context for using the passive voice ...
В вашем контексте walk в другом значении - выгуливать, то есть можно использовать в пассиве. А ТС спрашивает про walk в значении гулять, прогуливаться, идти пешком.
Kind_Punk
Благодарил (а): 172 раза

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

За это сообщение автора Kind_Punk поблагодарил:
Juliemiracle
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Consider this...
"miles have to be walked" - 36
"miles had to be walked" - 41
"mile has to be walked" - 24
"mile had to be walked" - 21
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Yety,
do you mean modals are conducive to the Passive Voice with 'walk'? Yes, such sentences may be required be the logic of a text (to improve its coherence & cohesion). It's curious that the authors of the book had to choose such a specific example to practise the Passive, though.
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Juliemiracle пишет: 22 фев 2020, 22:08 do you mean
It was just meant to provide you with some more contexts for a passive with 'walk'.
Ответить