What to do after C2

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Olya пишет: 12 янв 2020, 02:44 This is not simple for people who do not have a strong background in the subject.
It is actually pathetic. Just bring religion / politic / discrimination / personal data / accusation and that's it!
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Olya пишет: 12 янв 2020, 11:12 If I only knew why Popsicle got offended.
No, she is not. She is trolling by playing victim of moderator actions ))

Trolling is forbidden on forum and hard cases are closed. It is by the rules. And rules aren't negotiable ))
Последний раз редактировалось gavenkoa 12 янв 2020, 15:27, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Причина: fixed
За это сообщение автора gavenkoa поблагодарил:
Popsicle
Popsicle
Благодарил (а): 1579 раз

Сообщение Popsicle »

Folks, am I the only one to sense multi accounting in posts by Alanta?
zymbronia
Благодарил (а): 195 раз

Сообщение zymbronia »

Dear friends and members of the forum! Happy Old New Year!
Please don't provoke any offenses. It is difficult to judge who is right and who is not. I believe if you have any personal issues you should express them in your personal emails. Don't flood the thread when you don't feel like writing up to the topic.
За это сообщение автора zymbronia поблагодарил:
Popsicle
ivorfuzzle
Благодарил (а): 7 раз

Сообщение ivorfuzzle »

paveltashkinov пишет: 04 янв 2020, 06:01 Hi everyone!
Perhaps it may sound sacrilegious to some, but I don't really see C2 as some kind of pinnacle. I reached it a while ago. Since then, I seem to have somewhat improved my writing (which, in hindsight, was egregiously bad at least insofar as exam tasks are concerned). I wouldn't say that my speaking skills advanced as much as they could, but this gap can be patched up pretty swiftly with enough practice.
I feel like my passive knowledge of the language is still up to scratch, but my linguistic output leaves a bit to be desired.
After the exam, I managed to create some sort of a language bubble around me. I have at least six hours of speaking practice weekly. I keep learning some new words and expressions. I read for at least an hour every day. I am an avid writer. I dabble with poetry and short stories (not that you needed to be reminded of it).
Still, I feel frustrated. Although I am believed to have swallowed a thesaurus by many people over there, there's no ground for complacency. I still feel that my linguistic output is inadequate at times. C2 is often erroneously believed to be a be-all-and-end-all by many language learners, but that's far from being the truth. I still feel that there are some lacunae in my language. I still feel challenged. Besides, not only is it difficult to gauge any kind of progress after C2 has been reached; it also feels like you've reached a plateau and now you're crawling rather than leapfrogging towards some new level. And that's fine. I'm going to retake this exam this year or maybe next year, just to keep my language alive and kicking. I put too much time and effort into it, and it would be too profligate of me to lay it all to waste.
What do you think, folks? Your opinions are welcome.
The way I see it people rarely learn languages for the sake of learning languages.
I mean sure there are people who are naturally curious about how different languages work and what makes them unique, but in my experience people like that don't tend to obsess too much about achieving advanced levels of competence in the languages they take an interest in; their goal is rarely to become competent users/speakers of those languages, they're usually content with just knowing a bunch of facts about a bunch of different languages, studying some examples etc.
However, if someone puts in the time and effort to learn a specific language to a C1/C2 level, there's usually some other kind of motivation behind it - they need that language for something. So my question for you is what was it that prompted you to learn English in the first place. I mean you had to have had some reason for picking English specifically and not some other language. I assume you imagined you were going to use it for something, didn't you? So now that you've more or less mastered it, I suppose it's time to, like, start using it for whatever it was you initially wanted to learn it for.
I don't know you or your situation but in general people are drawn to English specifically because they regard it as a global language that they believe can open up the big wide world for them: travel, entertainment, employment with international companies, you name it, but at the end of the day everyone has to decide for themselves what they need or want English for and once they've learned it to a level sufficient for their purposes they should just go from "learning it" to "using it"
За это сообщение автора ivorfuzzle поблагодарили (всего 3):
mustang, paveltashkinov, Eager Beaver
paveltashkinov
Благодарил (а): 318 раз

Сообщение paveltashkinov »

ivorfuzzle, I was thinking about making a career in science, but I ended up working at a company which is a global leader in water, hygiene and energy technologies and services.
Well, I was sent abroad for a two-week training, and that was the only opportunity for me to use the language extensively. Sure, I have to read some literature on some work-related subjects, write some emails if need be, but these responsibilities and tasks do not demand that one be half as proficient as I am (I'm sorry for this complacency). Technical English is so simple.

I'm thinking about moonlighting as an Eng teacher, but I doubt that I have what it takes. Am I well-equipped for that? I mean, I have an experience of working as a teacher, having been a part-time chemistry teacher for almost three years, but EFL is different. I have no idea how it should be taught. Perhaps, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.
I know lots of people who perform worse than me language-wise and work as teachers, so there's no harm in trying.
За это сообщение автора paveltashkinov поблагодарили (всего 2):
mustang, Eager Beaver
ivorfuzzle
Благодарил (а): 7 раз

Сообщение ivorfuzzle »

paveltashkinov пишет: 14 янв 2020, 17:59 ivorfuzzle, I was thinking about making a career in science, but I ended up working at a company which is a global leader in water, hygiene and energy technologies and services.
Well, I was sent abroad for a two-week training, and that was the only opportunity for me to use the language extensively. Sure, I have to read some literature on some work-related subjects, write some emails if need be, but these responsibilities and tasks do not demand that one be half as proficient as I am (I'm sorry for this complacency). Technical English is so simple.

I'm thinking about moonlighting as an Eng teacher, but I doubt that I have what it takes. Am I well-equipped for that? I mean, I have an experience of working as a teacher, having been a part-time chemistry teacher for almost three years, but EFL is different. I have no idea how it should be taught. Perhaps, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.
I know lots of people who perform worse than me language-wise and work as teachers, so there's no harm in trying.
If you think you'll enjoy it you might as well go for it, it's not for everyone though, my teaching experience was very brief indeed and I found it rather frustrating on several levels: for one I really hated it when I told my students what to do (like homework) and they simply ignored it and for second, with some people it seemed like we were on completely different wavelengths, like they had their own ideas about the language and what the best way was to learn it and in the end I was like,"serious, why do you even bothering asking me for advice if you're just gonna go and ignore it completely and do your own thing?"
But then again, I know people who actually take great pleasure in teaching and enjoy working with "difficult" students so to each their own.
За это сообщение автора ivorfuzzle поблагодарили (всего 2):
Eager Beaver, mustang
mustang
Благодарил (а): 926 раз

Сообщение mustang »

ivorfuzzle,

Igorfa, is that you?
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

paveltashkinov пишет: 14 янв 2020, 17:59 I'm thinking about moonlighting as an Eng teacher, but I doubt that I have what it takes. Am I well-equipped for that?
No, Pavel, you are not. Language teaching is all about simplifying and showing people how to communicate their message in the most efficient way. I'd say this is your weakest point as of right now, even though your language is otherwise colorful and unique.

There's no shortage of substandard teachers out there, so there's really no need to multiply their ranks.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
paveltashkinov
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 14 янв 2020, 20:32 even though your language is otherwise colorful and unique
Personally, I couldn't agree more with that.
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
paveltashkinov
alex789
Благодарил (а): 368 раз

Сообщение alex789 »

Monetize your skill.
Write a book and become a best-selling author or start a blog and reach 10 thousand views per day.
There are plenty of opportunities out there ;).
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

alex789 пишет: 15 апр 2020, 18:54 Write a book and become a best-selling author or start a blog and reach 10 thousand views per day.
There are plenty of opportunities out there ;).
If you have something interesting to say, but that's a rare case.
Xander
Благодарил (а): 47 раз

Сообщение Xander »

On second thought,
paveltashkinov пишет: 04 янв 2020, 06:01 I don't really see C2 as some kind of pinnacle.
Me neither.
paveltashkinov пишет: 04 янв 2020, 06:01 What do you think, folks? Your opinions are welcome.
In the first post there are twenty-five instances of first-person pronouns (I & my). 25 'I's and 'my's. Just an observation.

Another stray thought:
It's kind of really hard to read, not to mention appreciate, anyone who doesn't give a damn about their readers. Each and every writing manual focuses on the importance of the latter. Why should reader care about this particular piece of writing? Once again: respect your reader, take good care of them, or else ...
За это сообщение автора Xander поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Xander пишет: 15 апр 2020, 19:35 In the first post there are twenty-five instances of first-person pronouns (I & my). 25 'I's and 'my's. Just an observation.
I had the same question - how is it possible to avoid "I"?

Today I know "there is/are" + "it is" and passive voice.

And powerful alternative to boring N + V with inversion of complement:
On the table there is a book.
Yesterday we visited our parents.
One be glad to hear another options )) ...probably my first voluntary usage of subjunctive mood, night reading of grammar textbooks gives results...
Последний раз редактировалось gavenkoa 16 апр 2020, 09:47, всего редактировалось 3 раза.
Причина: fixed
За это сообщение автора gavenkoa поблагодарил:
paveltashkinov
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

alex789 пишет: 15 апр 2020, 18:54 Write a book and become a best-selling author
The book should be on writing books to become a bestseller ))
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

gavenkoa пишет: 16 апр 2020, 09:44 One be glad to hear another options )) ...probably my first voluntary usage of subjunctive mood, night reading of grammar textbooks gives results...
I thought it was Black English or something like that. Are you sure you used it correctly? Also, if it's not some weird dialect, 'another optionS' is a mistake.
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
paveltashkinov
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

What to do after C2?
Here are some smart thoughts from Reddit (you asked the same question on Reddit didn't you? They all are pretty much the same.
So...ironically, you used so many “big words” in your post and idioms that I can clearly tell you are not a native speaker.
Its good to be proficient, but when you are too proficient you just sound a bit... Ambiguous...
As a native speaker who thinks he has an above average vocabulary size I had to google a few words there, as the other commenter said I would focus on simplifying down your English so that you don’t sound so pretentious
Using lots of fancy words may seem like a good thing, but it's actually a sign of poor understanding of connotation, formality, subtext, etc. because native speakers don't talk like that.
And the final thought (a smart one, imho):
Language is getting more simplified and streamlined by changing hands between generations, so always know your target audience.
So, there is a long road to go, isn't there?
De(un)learning must be a powerful technique!
:)

P.S. I do apologize if I sound rude or something. But what those guys wrote clearly states that some of us, ESL learners, are on the wrong track.
Huge respect to all of you, guys, you have that C2 certificate! That is a HUGE ACHIEVEMENT!

P.S. http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/free-guides.html
За это сообщение автора alex789 поблагодарили (всего 3):
Easy-Breezy English, gavenkoa, paveltashkinov
Khaletskiy91
Благодарил (а): 1 раз

Сообщение Khaletskiy91 »

The learning of a new language with English textbooks, dictionaries and etc.
За это сообщение автора Khaletskiy91 поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Khaletskiy91 пишет: 18 апр 2020, 14:20 language with English textbooks
Shouldn't we use "using English textbooks" instead?
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

acapnotic пишет: 16 апр 2020, 17:19 I thought it was Black English or something like that
You are right! I should write something like:
One will/would be glad
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

Deleted. Was badly, disastrously, drastically, grossly, hopelessly, horribly, seriously, terribly, tragically wrong!
paveltashkinov

alex789,
Yepp, the OP is me.
Егор
Благодарил (а): 37 раз

Сообщение Егор »

paveltashkinov пишет: 20 апр 2020, 06:51 Yepp, the OP is me.
Would you get a look at this guy sounding all casual and normal!:)

Pavel, you even said "Yepp" - to hear something like that from you - it's like freaking unheard of, man! I'm not gonna lie, that was unexpected and I was really surprised. Anyway, well done! Just a little bit of practice and you'll be swearing and cussing like a balls-kicked cowboy.

You said you were planning on teaching English on the side. How did it go?

My English teacher was a crazy monster - she was probably the most feared and the most hated teacher in the entire school and that was a pretty big ass school. Back then I think we would've been lucky and happy to have you as our English teacher instead of that horrible dragon woman - I do hope all her toe and finger nails fall off - that crazy woman should've never been allowed to teach or be around normal people.
За это сообщение автора Егор поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
paveltashkinov

Егор,
To my own surprise, it is not that bad, and my students seem to be quite satisfied.
I've found some Spanish guys and gals to teach. They are either preparing for C-level exams or have already taken them and are now looking for some speaking practice.
Ответить

Вернуться в «Practise Your English»