100 дней языка: день 17

Практикуйте написание коротких текстов на любом изучаемом языке на заданную тему.

Модераторы: Chinara, Delly

Chinara
Благодарил (а): 299 раз

Сообщение Chinara »

Ветка для ваших работ по теме 17-го дня.
Правила челенджа «100 дней языка»Показать
Цель челенджа

Цель челенджа - привить привычку использовать язык каждый день, перебороть страх. Главное - постоянство!

Суть идеи кратко

100 дней практикуем написание коротенького текста на изучаемом языке на заданную тему

Правила
  • Главное правило - писать на изучаемом языке КАЖДЫЙ ДЕНЬ 100 дней подряд, пусть даже совсем немного.
  • Участвовать можно всем, с любым уровнем языка.
  • Писать можно на любом изучаемом вами языке. Если их несколько, можете писать на нескольких.
  • Если ваш язык не английский, то в самом начале своего поста указывать тег #названиеязыкамаленькимибукваминарусском, например, для итальянского #итальянский.
    Сам текст начинать с новой строки.
  • Если вы по каким-либо причинам опоздали на начало челенджа, вы можете спокойно присоединиться к текущим темам. Пропущенные темы вы сможете наверстать после окончания челенджа. Как? Пока не решила. Посмотрим в процессе.
  • ТЕКСТЫ МОГУТ БЫТЬ ДАЖЕ ДЛИНОЙ В 2 ПРЕДЛОЖЕНИЯ, если пока ваш уровень или другие обстоятельства не позволяют писать больше. Если вы можете писать больше - отлично!
  • Каждое воскресенье в 8:00 МСК в этой ветке форума 100 дней языка (100 дней языка) мной будет вывешиваться список тем на следующую неделю. Список будет содержать темы на всю неделю, каждый пункт списка соответствует одному дню.
  • Список тем будет на русском языке. Вы должны будете перевести вопрос на свой язык самостоятельно.
  • Вы можете предлагать свои темы в этой ветке форума 100 дней языка (100 дней языка). Возможно, мы сможем использовать самые интересные из них в будущем.
  • Каждый день в 8:00 МСК будет появляться новая тема в разделе «Practice Your English”, которая будет называться «100 дней языка: день 1» и т.д. для размещения ваших работ.
  • В каждой ветке дня челенджа темы недели будут для вашего удобства продублированы в первом посте.
  • Если вы по каким-либо причинам не успели написать заданную тему в срок, у вас будет 3 дня, чтобы наверстать упущенное. На четвёртый день в 8:00 МСК тема будет закрыта и вы не сможете ничего в ней добавить.
  • Чтобы чьи-то идеи и тексты, которые успели выложить раньше вас в теме, не мешали вам писать, вы можете сделать это где-то в другом месте в электронном виде, а потом просто скопировать их в нужную тему.
  • По желанию вы можете разместить под спойлер полезную информацию для других: например, список слов и выражений по теме, советы по написанию и т.д. Представляете, если каждый напишет что-то полезное по теме, сколько всего полезного будет доступно для всех! Так мы сможем помогать друг другу!
  • Поскольку 100 дней это на 2 дня больше 14-ти недель, для порядка эти два дня будут прикреплены к первой неделе. Поэтому начали мы в субботу 10.03.2018 года.
  • Преподаватели, а также участники форума с хорошими знаниями языка могут комментировать тексты и помогать исправлять ошибки. При этом необходимо использовать цитирование сообщения участника челенджа для удобства. Просьба делать это вежливо, не оскорбляя чувства участника челенджа.
  • Челендж начался 10.03.2018 года и продлится ровно 100 дней до 17.06.2018 года включительно. Это 14 недель и 2 дня ✊
ВСЕМ УДАЧИ! ЖЕЛАЮ ВСЕМ ПРОДЕРЖАТЬСЯ ДО КОНЦА! 💪✊
Изображение

Изображение
Полезные материалы по темеПоказать

Первая неделя челенджа позади.

Ещё раз напоминаю, что в челендже можно участвовать с любыми языками.

Не забудьте, что тема будет закрыта в четверг 29.03.2018 года в 8:00 МСК. Поэтому не затягивайте с выполнением задания. Смысл челенджа как раз в том, чтобы не прокрастинировать и начать делать хотя бы немного!

Удачи!
zymbronia
Благодарил (а): 195 раз

Сообщение zymbronia »

Do you have a blog? If yes, what do you write there? If not, why?

I will make it simple: I don’t have any blog. I don’t even know what it is. Is it an account on FB or your thread on the forum? Or is it a special site where only you can write? If it is any place where you can write, it means that I can write here and it is enough.

From time to time I started writing a kind of a diary; however, I never reread them as it takes a lot of time. I believe that the best of my diaries was my correspondence when I just started to write and I described every day of my current life in letters in order to learn how to write. What I wrote in letters was rubbish but for me the main thing was the process itself.

Now I can see that I haven’t learnt how to write proper texts, but back then I hoped that I would learn how to write beautiful letters. I failed in this like I have failed in many other commencements, but at least I am writing here and it means that I remember not only letters but some words too :)
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

zymbronia пишет: 29 мар 2018, 06:54
I will make it simple: I don’t have any blog - To put it simply, I don’t have a blog.
I can write here and it is enough/ and it means that - I would write THAT here, but have no proof: I can write here and THAT is enough/ and THAT means that
a kind of a diary - kind of a diary
never reread them as it takes a lot of time - Is it in the past? ... as it TOOK a lot of time
I just started to write and I described... - I just started to write and described
described every day of my current life - described every day of my life/described my daily life
commencements - too fml; maybe, undertakings?
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
zymbronia
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

Mary May, thank you. I am not convinced, though. I need to additionally analyse. :) I mean if it is mandatory to use all your recomendations or I can have my formulations in some places :)
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

zymbronia,
Surely, you can keep your wording wherever you like - you will still be easily understood. Though I was under the impression (was it false?) that you wanted to listen to someone else's opinion. You have studied for too long and learnt too many coursebooks to make obvious mistakes which are easy to spot. Yours are more subtle, so sometimes there are no direct right/wrong answers.

So, let me comment on my comments.
I will make it simple: vs To put it simply, - the 2nd one is a collocation, and a useful one and you will find far more entries with it than with "make it simple"
The helpful site when you're in doubt which option to choose is, for example, ReversoContext, quite a popular one:
http://context.reverso.net/перевод/английский-русский/
kind of/a kind of - oops, it seems I could be wrong here, just missed that in your case it was before a noun - SORRY!
as it TOOK a lot of time - as far as you are talking abt the past you would hardly argue against
I just started to write and I described - it was just a suggestion to omit extra "I", if you like it you,surely, can keeo it - it's completely up to you
"current" more often refers to the present than to the past, so I suggested two versions to avoid it
commencements - well, it's TOO formal for a piece of writing like this

Let me for a while put aside this one - IT/THIS/THAT. As I said, this is an issue for me, too, and I'd be happy to find where to read abt it. If you find any reliable source please, let me know.

What we are doing here is helping each other, wouldn't you agree?
Последний раз редактировалось Mary May 30 мар 2018, 10:55, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3371 раз

Сообщение Yety »

zymbronia пишет: 30 мар 2018, 06:12 I am not convinced, though. I need to additionally analyse. :)
Lemme put in my 2p worth if you don't mind.)
Mary May пишет: 29 мар 2018, 23:28 To put it simply, I don’t have a blog.
does sound more English (along with all those idiomatic phrases to put it mildly/bluntly... to support the improvements)
I can write here and it is enough/ and it means that - I would write THAT here, but have no proof: I can write here and THAT is enough/ and THAT means that
All the three alternatives - THIS, THAT and IT - can relate the already known information.
Swan, 590 this/that and it: things that have just been mentioned
1 referring back

This, that and it can all be used to refer back to things or situations that have just been talked or written about. It does not give any special emphasis.
So she decided to paint her house pink. It upset the neighbours a bit.
This and that are more emphatic; they 'shine a light', so to speak, on the things or situations, suggesting 'an interesting new fact has been mentioned'.
So she decided to paint her house pink. This/That really upset the neighbours, as you can imagine.
This is preferred when there is more to say about the new subject of discussion.
So she decided to paint her house pink. This upset the neighbours so much that they took her to court, believe it or not. The case came up last week...
Then in 1917 he met Andrew Lewis, This was a turning point in his career: the two men entered into a partnership which lasted until 1946, and ...

(More natural than ... That was a turning point ... )
There's more about shades of their meanings further, but I'd agree that THAT would do better in those contexts to add a little more emphasis when referring to the above mentioned info.
That's why we can say THAT's why or THIS is why, but that's why is much more frequent; you'll hear THAT's right much more frequently than IT's right; THAT's all right, THAT is to say, THAT is enough, etc.
I think I saw it put more straightforwardly in the blue Murphy (about THAT preferable when referring back), but I don't have an ocr'ed copy of the book.
a kind of a diary - kind of a diary
Probably the other article of the two was meant to have been eliminated.))
Here's what Swan has got to say about those articles in such expressions:
6 kind of etc
We usually leave out a/an after kind of, sort of, type of and similar expressions (see 551).
What kind of (a) person is she?
Have you got a cheaper sort of radio?
They've developed a new variety of sheep.
However,
551 sort of, kind of and type of
1 articles

The article a/an is usually dropped after sort of, kind of and type of, but structures with articles are possible in an informal style.
That's a funny sort of (a) car. What sort of (a) bird is that?
never reread them as it takes a lot of time - Is it in the past? ... as it TOOK a lot of time
I read (past) them as statements in the present yety-self.)) {What's passed belongs to the past; I never return to them...}

described every day of my current life - described every day of my life/described my daily life
Or maybe instead of current (which can be interpreted as today's) you might consider changing it to then/at that time?
commencements - too fml; maybe, undertakings?
All those Latin words do seem to sound more high-flown than their Germanic counterparts,
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... mmencement
commencement
noun UK ​ /kəˈmens.mənt/ US ​ /kəˈmens.mənt/
​[ C or U ] formal the beginning of something:
Would passengers please turn off their mobile phones before the commencement of the flight.
yet it seems the issue with commencements lies elsewhere.
Though it goes as both countable and uncountable in the dictionary, the word seems to be generally used in the plural with a different meaning from that meant by the OP (at least, I couldn't find an example of it used as an equivalent of the Russian "начинания" - perhaps you could):
[ C ] US a ceremony at which students formally receive their degrees
And - it's been used in that (or similar) meaning for quite a while:
https://books.google.ru/books?id=TIQ4AA ... 22&f=false
Richard Brome - 1659
... language I better underftand, and that is Englifh. In which you are moft welcome. Pap. Your faire courtefie Merits our greateft thanks. Gali. I tanck you, fir. I have bid Fraunce adieu to come and learn De Englifh very well ; I fpeak a lietel, But de Englifh Meftereffe can teach de beft. I fhall be glad to take my commencements, Or my firſt Leſſons from theſe Ladies lips.
Последний раз редактировалось Yety 30 мар 2018, 10:48, всего редактировалось 3 раза.
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарили (всего 2):
Mary May, Belka_Teacher
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

Mary May пишет: 30 мар 2018, 10:30 Though I was under the impression (was it false?) that you wanted to listen to someone else's opinion.
Yes, I appreciate your help. I just need to think. It is possible that the meaning has changed when I enter some corrections. But maybe it will become perfect.
I didn't write I didn't want your help, did I?
Sometimes, however, I am thinking very slowly and I need to reread and rethink the text several times. Sometimes I juast don't have time or power to go over something many times, and it is my fault if I don't understand what I must do to improve.
I wrote to you "Thank you very much" and put "like". Did it mean that I didn't appreciate your help?

Thank you very much. You are doing a great job helping people to improve their English. I wish I knew English as well as you do. I am serious. I just don't know what I must write to wash away my guilt. I shouldn't have written my previous message, I think. Sorry for that.

Yety, thank you very much for your corrections. For me, they are even more difficult to understand that Mary May' corrections. I am not so smart, I am sorry. :)
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

zymbronia пишет: 30 мар 2018, 10:41 they are even more difficult to understand
Yes, yety-style is too heavy. It's yety who should be sorry.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Yety,
So, I shouldn't eat a humble pie with my corrections? At least, not today?
And thank you so much with this this/that/it thing - it's my headache.
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Mary May пишет: 30 мар 2018, 11:00 So, I shouldn't eat a humble pie with my corrections? At least, not today?
Come on! Yety is in no position to prescribe such a diet or even serve it as a meal to anyone, please!)))
Mary May пишет: 30 мар 2018, 11:00 this this/that/it thing - it's my headache.
There's more about that in Swan's book, btw.)
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Yety пишет: 30 мар 2018, 11:15Swan's book
should definitely buy it!

...just to put it on the shelf with the others I haven't ever opened...
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Mary May пишет: 30 мар 2018, 11:38 should definitely buy it
to put it on the shelf
Once you open it, you won't be able to put it up there. Or put it down, for that matter.)
It's an unputdownable thriller, all 658 pages of it.)
Перенесено из форума Основной форум о языковых челенджах, марафонах и викторинах в форум 100 дней языка 16 апр 2018, 19:33 модератором Delly

Ответить