Studies on how our brain stores languages - language interaction and interference aspect

Как начать изучать язык с нуля, какой метод изучения языка выбрать, получить рекомендации по самостоятельному изучению языка, обсудить другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

deaptor
Благодарил (а): 43 раза

Сообщение deaptor »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 05 фев 2020, 01:35 So the 40 seconds do the trick, don't they?
The idea of 40 seconds is completely unsubstantiated by the referred study. In Experiment 1, whose result is shown in Figure 2, the rehearsal/recall phase was done after a 5-minute break, after watching all 21 videos (which itself took more than 13 minutes). Here are the related passages from the article:
In the encoding phase, participants watched all 21 videos, presented on a computer monitor via PowerPoint. After the action finished, the screen would freeze, and the participants would press a key to start the next video. Each video had a title that was presented above the video throughout its duration. Participants were instructed to attend to the title as well as the video. In the rehearsal/recall phase, participants were prompted with the video's title and asked to describe it in as much detail as possible.
All 21 videos were watched consecutively on day 1, and the videos from Conditions 1 and 2 were rehearsed/recalled (i.e., described aloud in response to the video title), with the experimenter present, after a break of 5 min.
Also, there was no time limit for the recall phase in Experiment 1. All participants were encouraged to recall as many details of the prompted video as they could.
За это сообщение автора deaptor поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

deaptor пишет: 09 фев 2020, 09:00 The idea of 40 seconds is completely unsubstantiated by the referred study
It is hard to reason what was written in sci articles. I made lots of quick assertive conclusions myself.

Initial contradiction that came from my thought was that human quick memory holds information around 18 sec: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-term_memory which is quite near the 40 sec... To retrieve information from long term memory much longer time is needed.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_rehearsal
Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

Topic-related

Ответить