We all are different, aren't we?

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 28 дек 2019, 16:53 True. Very insightful.
Actually I stole it from a book, Neurosis and Human Growth by Karen Horney. The role of the idealized self-image is from it too. :) It's a great book and I wish I had found it in my youth and not now. It would have saved me a lot of grief, I am sure. It explains the whole structure of neurosis very logically.
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

acapnotic пишет: 28 дек 2019, 18:38 Neurosis and Human Growth by Karen Horney
Cool, I might check it out later.
Is that where you picked up your stellar logic, too? :-)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Easy-Breezy English, I didn't know it was stellar. :) I have always tried to win in every argument, using it, so maybe it really improved from practice. However, arguments apparently are won by some other means. :)
Easy-Breezy English

acapnotic пишет: 28 дек 2019, 19:35 I didn't know it was stellar.
It certainly is. You have every reason to be proud of it.
I have always tried to win in every argument
Because you are a perfectionist? LOL!
mustang
Благодарил (а): 926 раз

Сообщение mustang »

Easy-Breezy English,
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 28 дек 2019, 19:53 It certainly is. You have every reason to be proud of it.

have always tried to win in every argument

Because you are a perfectionist? LOL!
You got me confused here. If you truly believe that you can accurately assess the extent of Acapnotic’s logical abilities, calling them stellar, you yourself have to possess Holmes-like powers of deduction and reasoning. In other words, you got to be his intellectual peer in terms of logical skills.

If it’s really the case it makes two of you hard-core perfectionists (according to you) arguing over how awful it is to be perfect in every possible way.

If it’s not true then you are just unwittingly lying to the forum’s readers.

писи: That’s what I call logic, my dear.
Easy-Breezy English

mustang пишет: 28 дек 2019, 20:53 you are just unwittingly lying to the forum’s readers.
I would never, ever lie to you, my dear friend. :-)
mustang пишет: 28 дек 2019, 20:53 That’s what I call logic, my dear.
I don't feel like I'm in any position to assess the extent of your superior logical abilities.
I can take on acapnotic, but you? I wouldn't dare.

Писи:
I'm sure your running skills are awesome, too. :-)
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
mustang
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 28 дек 2019, 19:53 You have every reason to be proud of it.
Thank you. :) Actually I have always been proud of it. I say that I don't know if it's stellar because of one sobering experience I had in the past. I thought then that I was an excellent chess player -- because of my intellectual superiority, of course, and also the two or three books about chess that I had read. However, when I began to play more regularly, it turned out that I was average at best, in spite of my logic, my books and the fact that I spent on every move at least twice as much time as my opponents. I still remember that disappointment and try to keep my pride in intellectual superiority on a leash. It hasn't manifested itself in anything tangible, that's the problem. And yet it won't go. Which apparently proves that it indeed plays a protective role and I still need it. By 'I' I mean me as a whole, not just the conscious part which can speak volumes about how it's important to be realistic.
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 28 дек 2019, 19:53 Because you are a perfectionist?
Most likely trying to prove the power of my logic. Unlike chess, in agruments you can at least believe that you have outwitted your opponent but he doesn't have the courage to admit it. :)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

mustang пишет: 28 дек 2019, 20:53 If it’s really the case it makes two of you hard-core perfectionists (according to you) arguing over how awful it is to be perfect in every possible way.
That's only logical. Who if not a perfectionist knows how bad it is to be one?

Perfectionism is a disease, not a conscious choice. You can't just switch it off even if you realize that it's the source of your suffering. It has become a part of your psychic structure, like a brick in a wall. If you pull it out, the structure may collapse. So, for the fear of such consequences, you hold on to it and only try to mitigate its adverse effects.
Easy-Breezy English

acapnotic, having a great talent is both a blessing and a curse. It's somewhat of an art to keep it in check.

Forget those chess players. They don't have what you have. Just enjoy this unique quality of yours and be happy you have it. :-) No need to prove anything to anyone - it's there. :-) And certainly no reason to be bitter about it.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
acapnotic
Lindabak

Сообщение Lindabak »

- but you gotta think that love is normal - not hate..
- hate is not good for anyone, anytime..

- people are strange - that is normal..
- its the differences between us that make us who we are..

- its normal to care for each other..
- dont be afraid to ask for help..
- you are not alone..
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 24 дек 2019, 12:44 Still the valiant Stormy Petrel proudly wheels among the lightning, o'er the roaring, raging ocean, and his cry resounds exultant, like a prophecy of triumph-
Let it break in all its fury!

from 1:25--ROFL!
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
Easy-Breezy English
Ответить

Вернуться в «Practise Your English»