translation-grammar technique vs non- translation-non-grammar technique

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 19 фев 2020, 10:05 I just wasn't able to remember them without learning their meaning. I don't understand how children can memorise those sounds which don't mean anything to them. :(
Why do you think they memorize such sounds? I think they guess what they mean and only then memorize them for future use.
Michelangelo пишет: 19 фев 2020, 10:05 I won't ever become Stirlitz or somebody like him to comprehend the language directly like natives comprehend it.
I remember reading somewhere that bilinguals have two speech centers in their brains. So maybe they have two sets of ideas, one for each language. When they switch between languages, they also switch between ideas, and that's why they can think in both languages. When we, monolinguals, do the same, we only change the vocabulary, so we don't really think in English. We simply express our Russian thoughts in it.

Maybe if we shifted to English permanently and avoided using Russian as the plague, we could gradually modify our ideas to make them English. But this condition is unrealistic.
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 20 фев 2020, 07:20 I remember reading somewhere that bilinguals have two speech centers in their brains.
I think this is a theory only. I think that the brain is the same, but the memory is somehow organised differently. Some people could keep great amounts of information and derive it easily from their memories, whereas majority could remember only limited amount of information. Whether it is stacked in the same in various brains I don’t know. Maybe it is a question of genes and Genesis and those who closer to Adam and Eve they have several centres in their head and could organise their knowledge in such a way that they could derive information independently. Who knows how it works. Maybe scientists will find a way to follow our brain centres in the future and reveal the way how they work. Now it is too complicated for them, I think. They could just guess. The weirdest think is that each hypothesis could take place, but the whole picture can be revealed only when several hypothesis are combined or even something additional should be discovered that makes our brain work more efficiently.
When we, monolinguals, do the same, we only change the vocabulary, so we don't really think in English. We simply express our Russian thoughts in it.
This is a good hypothesis, I like it. However, who knows what would have happened if I had started to study English or any other language when I was let’s say 6 years old. Maybe those two centres could have been created at that age. Maybe they are not inherited but evolutional?
Maybe if we shifted to English permanently and avoided using Russian as the plague, we could gradually modify our ideas to make them English.
I think that only thorough studying of English background and permanent communication with English people could lead to modification of our ideas so that they become English-like or completely English ones. Of course if we forgot Russian, and had to use English only, it could make us real English men, but I cannot imagine that without starting intensive communication with English people day and nights for years.
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 21 фев 2020, 15:53 I think this is a theory only.
You probably mean "a hypothesis only". A theory is a tested and proven hypothesis, and because of that it's not "only something" but a serious thing. Unfortunately many people use the word "theory" when they mean "hypothesis" or even "fantasy". That's not very good, is it? All that we know about this world is a bunch of theories. Will you suggest that we abandon them just because they are "theories only"? Facts are important, but you can't live with them alone. You need some understanding of what's going on around you, and this understanding will be a theory. If you don't have a theory, you can't predict anything, and if you can't predict, you can't plan and can't prepare for what's going to happen.
Michelangelo пишет: 21 фев 2020, 15:53 However, who knows what would have happened if I had started to study English or any other language when I was let’s say 6 years old. Maybe those two centres could have been created at that age.
Why not? But you actually speak two languages: Russian and Ukrainian, don't you? Maybe you already have two speech centers. Can you think in both languages or do you translate from one into the other?
Ответить