To C2 (IELTS 8-8.5) in productive skills

Подготовка и впечатления от сдачи экзамена. Помощь в разборе письменных работ. выбор и обсуждение необходимых материалов. Cambridge English (CPE, CAE, FCE ect.), IELTS, TOEFL и другие.

Модератор: mikka

semantic__diversity
Благодарил (а): 65 раз

Сообщение semantic__diversity »

I took IELTS two times: two years ago and 2 weeks ago :)
The first time results were L8.5 R7.5 W7 S6.5, now they improved a little except writing got worse: L9 R9 W6.5 S7.5
I didn't prepare at all for the second attempt but before the first one I studied a lot with a tutor.

I've been living abroad for these 2 years and I speak English every day (difficult topics, yeah, like semantics, linguistics, math and ecological problems for the lunch break). Still, my productive skills haven't really improved. My question is for those who managed to achieve high scores in productive skills: what did you? Probably I should find out what my weaknesses are: is it luck of accuracy or structure or limited vocabulary... But maybe anyone has practical tips?
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

No doubt it is lack of accuracy and you don't know the structure well enough to fit to the requirements.
What you need to do to find a good reference book and learn the structure of essays and other necessary for exams things.
As to speaking, if you speak every day, then make your speaking more sophisticated by using those structures recommended in the guidances for exams.
It this is not enough, write an essay here or somewhere else to let somebody check it and help improve.
If this is not efficient, find another tutor who teaches you to pass exams with the highest scores.
semantic__diversity
Благодарил (а): 65 раз

Сообщение semantic__diversity »

I'll probably write an essay and post it here later, that's a good idea. I think I could attribute a lot of my "failure" in writing to not following the requirements well enough but not in speaking.

My goal is not to get 8 but to improve my productive skills in general. I feel like the village idiot between my friends with near native levels :D The high scores would be just a good way to track my progress.

So, maybe it's the wrong section for the question. Probably I should have posted it in the part about learning English, not the exams' one.
Ответить