Let's flood in English

Общение на любые темы, выходящие за рамки других форумов.

Модератор: Aksamitka

Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

Hi!
This idea has just crossed my mind. I hope it'll be beneficial for all of us to flood in English. Yes, some of us have their own threads in the 'Practise Your English' subforum, but none of us has the possibility just to text meaningless messages, share thoughts, or discuss any topic (such as movies, TV series, music, you name it), which can be replaced with another one, - talk about everything, in a nutshell.
Aksamitka
Благодарил (а): 771 раз

Сообщение Aksamitka »

Do it! just do it!
За это сообщение автора Aksamitka поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
zillow

Сообщение zillow »

Hm.... Ok. What do you say about final episode of "Game of Thrones"?
Zlatko_Berrin

zillow пишет: 30 окт 2019, 23:46 What do you say about final episode of "Game of Thrones"
You should not have asked it =)

And I do remember I've already left a post with my attitude toward the finale somewhere. Anyway.

I dislike the finale. Everything made me sick, especially Tyrion with his speech about 'stories' and their keeper.
The Broken literally did nothing... Oh, found it:

Zlatko_Berrin (Game of Thrones)

What's your opinion, zillow?

PS Corrected the quotation
PPS Seems I've not done it correctly.
Последний раз редактировалось Zlatko_Berrin 31 окт 2019, 03:25, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
Zlatko_Berrin

By the way, a friend of mine told me that it was a good idea for them to make Bran a king because of his impartiality and omniscience.
Well, it is a good point, but again, that was not what I'd expected it to be.
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

As far as I know, the books were written by some ботаник who has never played any such game himself. He just doesn't know what he is writing about. Why waste your time on his fantasies?
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Zlatko_Berrin, A good idea! A lot of us like flooding. Let's do it in English! We'll have much more benefits from it. First of all, we won't get angry with each other, second, we will recall some English words and collocations which is good. Third, we won't flood valuable topics with our permanent fights. There are some other benefits, which I need to think about carefully.
We currently have a very would-be-flood topic. We can discuss it here as well because I am afraid the TS won't be able to continue discussion in English :)
What do you think about new revolutionary method of Business English Michelangelo (мой собственный способ обучения Business English)
Is it different from big screens or dancing around keyboards with a tambourine?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 31 окт 2019, 09:22 A lot of us like flooding.
In Russian.
Michelangelo пишет: 31 окт 2019, 09:22 Let's do it in English!
Highly unlikely. Where is right now the original poster of this thread and in what language is he writing there? See? :)
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic, :)
Right you are :)
Really, I suggested that we should discuss that Business English here among ourselves so that the TS of that thread couldn't understand us and wouldn't interfere with our criticism of him, however, our TS decided that it is better that he could understand our flood :)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo, well, it's very important to convince some random guy that he is a moron and you are not, even if you are not going to ever see him again. This is how our pride plays with us. We take every nonsense that a total stranger has said as a challenge. Someone is wrong on the Internet! To arms! :)
Zlatko_Berrin

Michelangelo пишет: 31 окт 2019, 09:22 What do you think about new revolutionary method of Business English
I can't and don't have the right to tell anything about gloffs as a person, but as a "messiah' of teaching Business English he definitely chose not the right way to 'offer' his enlightenment. I mean he must've elaborated a lot on his revolutionary method.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic, I think it is simpler. We just like flooding and we are looking for somebody to start a new meaningless topic to maintain it and flood it. I am not sure that we have a goal to demonstrate a moron that he is. I think, though even there is such an idea in the depth of our soul, we would rather show off even at expense of our own pride. We cannot know for sure if our opponent is competent or not. We can just guess that the topic was intended to be flooded and start writing there and ... bingo - the person just wanted to show off, so do we :). Therefore, flood is somehow harmless means to show off, I think.
Maybe somebody really wants to convince somebody else in something, but that is rare, as I could see.
Sorry for this flow of thoughts, which could probably be incomprehensible - just trying to recall some words which I learned years ago :)
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 31 окт 2019, 10:44 I can't and don't ...
Don't speak about any person personally. You can, however, express your opinion about one or another method and compare something which you have read about or experienced before.
За это сообщение автора Michelangelo поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo, if you want to show off, you must have something to show. And what is it if not something you are proud of? Maybe it's just your ability to outwit any opponent, no matter how competent he is, in one way or other, maybe just by flooding him with tons of words. :)
Michelangelo пишет: 31 окт 2019, 10:49 Sorry for this flow of thoughts, which could probably be incomprehensible - just trying to recall some words which I learned years ago :)
That is what this thread was created for. But I had no problem understanding you. However, I must confess that business English is a total mystery to me. Do you know it?
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 31 окт 2019, 11:06 Do you know it?
I studied some basic for a year or two. Of course I don't use it often, however, sometimes this knowledge helps me to understand simple articles. Of course in order to understand many facets of business you must be immersed into it over your head - it is so wide. I am sure the TS offers only basic Business English, which I studied years ago. Therefore I think I won't experience much difficulty studying what he offers. It is something which I guess I know.
If you would like to study real Business, I think 5 years is not enough and there are a lot of various areas with their own numerous terms, which some people (even natives) are not able to remember in full and use the word "thing" or "Item" in attempt to explain some issues to others.
Zlatko_Berrin

acapnotic пишет: 31 окт 2019, 11:06 Where is right now the original poster of this thread and in what language is he writing there?
OK, next time I'll offer a prospective TS to come to this thread and discuss the off-topic here if we seem to be straying too far from the initial topic. =D
Последний раз редактировалось Zlatko_Berrin 31 окт 2019, 11:52, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 31 окт 2019, 11:14 If you would like to study real Business, I think 5 years is not enough and there are a lot of various areas with their own numerous terms
Maybe I'd be better off starting some business instead and learning all this stuff from practice. But they say it's a lot of work, which I'm not a big fan of, I must confess. After all, we were created for life in Eden, where everything grew on trees within arm's reach. Therefore work is unnatural for a human being. Of course, there are workaholics. If only we had enough of them! Then they would work for both themselves and us, and this would be the perfect world! Everyone would enjoy the kind of life that he likes.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 31 окт 2019, 11:49 we were created for life in Eden
Africans have the life comparable to the life in Eden. They don't have clothes (like we have), they don't need to warm their houses, they don't even need to have houses, and they can take fruit from trees like Adam and Eve, however, they are not so happy like Adam and Eve were. I think it is because the snake taught them to enjoy working and they are not happy without the balance between work and rest.
Maybe Adam and Eve were created not to work, but their descendants were driven away from Eden to earn their bread in sweat.

I have learnt even more. The Adam and Eve's children met some subhumans in the desert to generate the offsprings. Therefore, we are not pure-blood issue of Adam and Eve, but half-blood. :) There were some subhumans next to Eden and they knew to work even before Adam and Eve were thrown away from Eden. And most likely they taught Adam and Eve to work thereafter.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo, but Africans are always fighting, aren't they? Or making revolutions. Instead of coming to us and working for us, if they like to work so much. Were they slaves because they liked to work? Hmm... But African Americans don't seem to be all that excited by the idea of being someone's slave. They prefer dancing and singing rap (as far as I know). Except Obama, maybe. He, for some mysterious reason, decided to abandon those activities and become a president.

Maybe they only like working while in Africa. Move them elsewhere and they will become just like the rest of us. Fortunately now that we have the global economy, they can work there and send their products here so we can enjoy doing nothing. This probably was the idea that Putin recently discussed with African leaders. This kind of cooperation between Africa and Russia will definitely be popular in both places.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic, it seems to me that you misunderstood my message. I wanted to say that Africans have a life similar to that in Eden. They don't have to work as they have summer all year through. They are not so happy not because they want to work badly, but because they don't like to live like in Eden, because in Eden there were not cars, conditioners, jewellery. They don't want to work, but they want to live better than Adam and Eve lived in Eden. That was my point. I didn't explain it clearly, I am afraid.

What I wanted to say is that the modern humans even though they live like in Eden they want more without putting much efforts.
Only a small number of people are workaholics who work for sake of work, but most people work to obtain some benefits of the progress of the modern civilisation. And there are some people who don't want to work. Some of them they have everything they want to have, and some of them - they don't want much that is why they don't work :)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 31 окт 2019, 11:25 OK, next time I'll offer a prospective TS to come to this thread and discuss the off-topic here if we seem to be straying too far from the initial topic. =D
I'm afraid they will politely (or not so politely) decline your invitation. All those inventors of unique language learning methods seem to be rather arrogant and opinionated. Apparently you have to be like that if you want to invent something unique and powerful in this field.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo, ah, I see now. But that's too bad. It means that the cooperation between them and us that I was dreaming of in my previous post won't be that easy. We need a way of convincing them that they don't really need cars and other expensive stuff and that it's much better to just make it for the fun of this process and then send it to us so they could make it again. I don't have a solution for this at the moment, but maybe Putin has. There must be a reason why he decided to gather them all together and talk to all of them at once. Maybe he tried to persuade them that workaholism is a great thing after you get used to it, especially if you have nothing to distract you, like cars and other unhealthy things.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

It seems to me people are not eager to work unless the work is only solution to avoid something that is posing a life-threatening risk to a person. Eg, if you are under a threat of freezing you will build up a hat, if you are under a threat of starvation, you will build up a bow to kill a bird to eat, etc.
If those Africans do not need to build houses, to grow fruit and vegetables, to hide themselves from heat and rain, why should they bother to become workaholics. However, then have television and they want to have everything civilised people have due to their work to survive in bad conditions of North or in war.
It is difficult, because Adam and Eve had to communicate with subhumans who didn't eat from the tree of knowledge how to work, and their descendants, therefore, not all are eager to work. They are half-humans only now. And it depends on which traits prevail in a person, whether this person is more or less eager to work. Maybe genes of Adam and Eve didn't reach some areas of Africa and people have little knowledge about the fact that work turned a subhuman into a human :)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 31 окт 2019, 13:51 civilised people have due to their work to survive in bad conditions of North
You are absolutely right. Climate is the key. Due to global warming, Africa will get too hot in the future for humans to live there. And here we come to their rescue by moving them to Siberia, where we have a lot of uninhabited land. There they will be motivated for work all right. An excellent solution, I think. So now we seem to know what Putin had to offer to those African leaders. Thanks for the hint!

As for their genes, they will be improved by Siberian climate too. Those unwilling to work will freeze and get out of the way.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

I am sorry. It seems to me that I am lack of words at the moment. The topic seems exhausted. As to Siberia - why should Putin invite Africans there, if there are a lot of Chinese citizens are already developing that territory? I don't think they will be eager to cede it back to Russia when time comes. I think they are going to retain it and not let Africans come there.
Ответить