Некоторые вопросы от hoz (перевод)

Перевод отдельных слов, предложений и текстов. Помощь в переводе. Тонкости и трудности перевода. Если вы не знаете, как перевести на английский или с английского языка, то вам сюда.

Модератор: zymbronia

Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 07 мар 2021, 00:31???
Yes, you're absolutely right. My bad. The reason for omitting the article should not be the sun used in the noncount meaning of 'sunshine'.

Есть, однако, забавная фишка обсуждаемой конструкции (абсолютного оборота), больше характерная, впрочем, при одновременном пропуске причастия - опускание артиклей:
Then he started out, bag and overcoat in hand, to get his cup of coffee. (Maltz)

Arnold Bennett · 1912
Now she leant over the gas-stove, fork in hand, and made baffling motions inside the saucepan with the fork; and while doing so she stretched forth her left hand,...

After having fled for about 10 m, he suddenly halted and turning broadside on, head held high and froze in that position. 3N immediately stopped in his tracks and also turned broadside on with head held high.

Roxanne M. · 2014
I turned my back on him and did not look at him anymore, and so I left head held high. I hurried to the street. A torrential rain was pouring down; a strong breeze was blowing.
Failed to find a reference, though. 😒
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

А здесь и не абсолютный, но куча артиклей опущена.
They were uniformed in blue, wore steel helmets and breastplates, bore dagger at belt, bow and quiver and ax at croup, lance in rest with red pennon aflutter from the shaft, besides those swords.
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
Yety
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Yety пишет: 07 мар 2021, 07:56 Then he started out, bag and overcoat in hand, to get his cup of coffee. (Maltz)

Arnold Bennett · 1912
Now she leant over the gas-stove, fork in hand, and made baffling motions inside the saucepan with the fork; and while doing so she stretched forth her left hand,...

After having fled for about 10 m, he suddenly halted and turning broadside on, head held high and froze in that position. 3N immediately stopped in his tracks and also turned broadside on with head held high.

Roxanne M. · 2014
I turned my back on him and did not look at him anymore, and so I left head held high. I hurried to the street. A torrential rain was pouring down; a strong breeze was blowing.
Failed to find a reference, though. 😒
IMO, it has nothing to do with the Absolute Clause:
"bag and overcoat" is a binomial, "in hand" is a set expression, and "with head held high" is an idiom
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/ru/%D1 ... B9/in-hand
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/wi ... 20my%20car.
Последний раз редактировалось VictorB 07 мар 2021, 10:23, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

acapnotic пишет: 07 мар 2021, 09:30 А здесь и не абсолютный, но куча артиклей опущена.
They were uniformed in blue, wore steel helmets and breastplates, bore dagger at belt, bow and quiver and ax at croup, lance in rest with red pennon aflutter from the shaft, besides those swords.
Aren't all those set expressions too, normally used without the articles?
Kind_Punk
Благодарил (а): 172 раза

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

hoz пишет: 06 мар 2021, 18:56 one curtained window
IMHO, it's "one of the windows". Whatever the author decided to use this form )
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Kind_Punk,
Hi! Just for the fun of picking nits, the whole sentence "Her cat continued to sleep peacefully, sun from one curtained window warming her fur" needs a wider context to be sure it had been put correctly. Was the cat's sleep interrupted? If not, then she continued sleeping, not to sleep. If the curtain was shut, thus preventing the sun go into the room, then it was the warmth/heat of the shining sun coming through the window curtain, not from it. As for the idea to use "one" referring to the window, curtained or bare, it's totally beyond me, reminding of the maxim, "He who thinks clearly, clearly set forth their ideas" :-)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

VictorB пишет: 07 мар 2021, 10:04 Aren't all those set expressions too, normally used without the articles?
I don't know. That was the first time I had seen them.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

acapnotic пишет: 07 мар 2021, 11:21 That was the first time I had seen them.
In a Poul Anderson's piece of work, I gather. Have a nice read! :)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

VictorB пишет: 07 мар 2021, 11:56 Have a nice read!
No, I read that one a while ago. Now I'm reading Robert Silverberg.
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

VictorB пишет: 07 мар 2021, 10:57 the fun of picking nits
It is also quite strange that Google shows this phrase only in dictionaries )

About using 'one' as an article, it's OK. For example,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Life, ... ly_Poverty
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Kind_Punk пишет: 07 мар 2021, 18:09 It is also quite strange that Google shows this phrase only in dictionaries )
LOL! I doubt that many of them know who nits actually are, much less what fun it might be picking them)))
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Yety пишет: 07 мар 2021, 07:56 забавная фишка обсуждаемой конструкции (абсолютного оборота), больше характерная, впрочем, при одновременном пропуске причастия - опускание артиклей
Вот чувствую, что так можно, но "правило" так и не нагуглил )
hoz
Благодарил (а): 99 раз

Сообщение hoz »

zymbronia пишет: 06 мар 2021, 23:33 здесь это не название светила, а просто "свет"
Как это "свет" ? Разве свет может греть шёрстку или что-нибудь вообще? Греть может, как я понимаю, солнце, огонь, батарея и тд, но не свет.. ))
Почему вы так решили?
zymbronia
Благодарил (а): 195 раз

Сообщение zymbronia »

hoz, я всегда грелся в солнечном свете
Но если настаиваете - "инфракрасное излучение" - так звучит лучше?
Там уже после меня все пояснили, если я неправильно или непонятно выразился.
Dragon27
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Dragon27 »

Имеется в виду солнечное электромагнитное излучение. Греет же не Солнце, греет излучение от Солнца (а убивает не стрелок, а пуля, выпущенная оружием стрелка :) ). Светом мы обычно называем только видимую часть этого излучения. А излучение в целом - это и свет и тепло.
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

hoz пишет: 07 мар 2021, 20:44Как это "свет" ?
Так же, как в русском ) "Не сиди на солнце", например )
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 07 мар 2021, 09:59 IMO, it has nothing to do with the Absolute Clause:
"bag and overcoat" is a binomial, "in hand" is a set expression, and "with head held high" is an idiom
Could be a good point, but you might want to split the 'binomial' to check how its parts work separately:
bag in hand, coat in handПоказать
Once in a Promised Land - Page 19
Laila Halaby · 2007
Bag in hand, he went outside to his car. Did not kiss his wife goodbye. Did not look at her before he left. Did not even think to.

Hand Over Mind - Page 25
Marc Lovell · 1979
Getting out of his car, overnight bag in hand, Andrew said, “This looks more like a farm." "Non-operational, to use one of Jack's terms, ”Harry Scott said.“ But some of the buildings come in useful for storage.

The Melchizedek Connection - Page 260
Raymond E. Fowler · 2001
Harold waited, coat in hand, behind her. She turned around and looked up at him. Harold dropped his coat and hesitantly extended his ...

Falk: A Reminiscence - Page 19
Joseph Conrad · 2007
At once, coat in hand, he began to tell his wife all about it. Mrs. Hermann put the palms of her plump hands together; I smiled and bowed ...

This one has got to be another binomial:)
Skeletons in the Closet - Page 230
Bill Pomidor · 1997
Standing in the reception room, briefcase and overcoat in hand, he frowned a question. "Or is this an emergency?" "No." Plato shrugged. "I was going to come out earlier, but I got backed up with paperwork." It was true enough, he supposed.

Same as a 'binomial' with the preposition:
The Great Gatsby - Page 83
F. Scott Fitzgerald, ‎Ruth Prigozy · 1998
... quickly down the drive, disappearing under the August foliage just as Gatsby, with hat and light overcoat in hand, came out the front door.

And as a mononomial - without it:
A Diary from Dixie - Page 225
Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut, ‎Isabella D. Martin, ‎Myrta Lockett Avary · 1905
When Dick hastened out, overcoat in hand, and only Simon was visible, after several obsequious “Yes, marster; just as marster pleases,” my mother had always to step out and prevent a fight. Dick never forgave her laughing.
When I mentioned omitted articles I wasn't referring to the 'in hand' idiom. I mean the zero-article with the first noun, of course. And you didn't account for 'fork in hand', either.
fork in hand, collar upturned, eyes welling up, etcПоказать
Saved from Silence: Finding Women's Voice in Preaching - Page 112
Mary Donovan Turner, ‎Mary Lin Hudson · 2012
She huddled inside an overcoat, collar upturned. Her small eyes were looking out, one puffy and dark.The man started talking, insisting on ...

A binomial again?))
Out of Nowhere - Page 138
Doris Mortman · 1998
Garbed in black spandex tights, black loafers, and a man's white dress shirt, cuffs and collar upturned, she conveyed not only confidence, but flair. “So, how and why does one become a makeup artist?” he asked, noticing the quixotic ...

Or maybe not so much...)
Resetting the Armageddon Clock
Matt Thomas · 2011
"Is this what you predicted?" she said, eyes welling up, holding back a mix of rage and sadness. “Is this what you thought would happen when you moved that hand up an extra minute?"

Standard Novels - Volume 5 - Page 67
He uplifted the dagger for a moment, gazed upon the blade, - upon the dear countenance that, with lashes cast down, lips quivering and burning, leant over him - saw it illuminated with the expression that could not be mistaken, and he flung the weapon from him with all his strength.
'(With) head held high' is an idiom all right, but as you can see, the origin of this idiom lies with the above mentioned optional 'rule' of ommittable articles.
Kind_Punk пишет: 07 мар 2021, 19:12 так можно, но "правило" так и не нагуглил )
Винтажная штучка. Надо искать в винтажных грамматиках. Но времени жаль рыскать.
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Такое накопал:

Speakers of York English (UK) use a zero article with definite singular nouns (e.g., “They used to follow Ø river”), which is impossible in Standard English.
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/1 ... 4219865933

Но это, похоже, не тот случай )

Вот больше похоже на правду. Хотя русская работа - или для англичан это нечто само собой разумеющееся? )

the zero article is not meaningful but purely stylistic...

the omission of the articles draws the reader’s attention to the scene and adds to the humorous effect produced by the categorematic words:

I pressed the bell, and presently in shimmered Jeeves, complete with tea-tray and preceded by dog, which leaped upon the bed, licked me smartly in the right eye, and immediately curled up and fell into a deep slumber. (P.G. Wodehouse)...

A similar situation can be observed, when common concrete class nouns, normally determined by the indefinite and definite articles, find themselves in a specific syntactic structure, namely the Nominative Absolute Construction, as part of a predicative. [24] It is always quite clear what determiner (the articles or a pronoun) is missing:

And cigar in his mouth, old Jolyon said: “Play me some Chopin.”

https://studfile.net/preview/9718371/page:10/
За это сообщение автора Kind_Punk поблагодарил:
Yety
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Kind_Punk пишет: 08 мар 2021, 00:13 Хотя русская работа
Такая тема. Всё детали видны только снаружи.))
Inversus
Благодарил (а): 93 раза

Сообщение Inversus »

hoz, надеюсь Вы не против, раз уж эта ветка про перевод, если Я тоже здесь поспрашиваю дабы не плодить темы ?

Ale is flat and warm as horse piss ! - что значит flat ?
Babies are being born with a tail - пассив ? Дети, рождающиеся с хвостом ?
She was advised to plead her case before the court - почему так замысловато, это такой юридический стиль ?
We are having grilled chicken and vegetables. - в подобных предложениях "having" значит "принимать пищу" ?
It must have been a very difficult time. - как здесь понимать perfect ? Должно быть, это было очень трудное время (до сего момента) ?.
How did he end up participating in something like this ? - смысл понятен, но как это перевести правильнее ?
Milanya
Благодарил (а): 149 раз

Сообщение Milanya »

1. Без пузырьков (выдохся эль)
3. Простой пассив - ей посоветовали
4. Да
6. Как его угораздило в это вляпаться? (Без контекста)
За это сообщение автора Milanya поблагодарил:
Inversus
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Inversus пишет: 27 мар 2021, 12:54 Babies are being born with a tail - пассив ? Дети, рождающиеся [в настоящее время] рождаются с хвостом
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Inversus пишет: 27 мар 2021, 12:54 She was advised to plead her case before the court - почему так замысловато, это такой юридический стиль ?
In general, to plead your case (in court/before the court) means to speak out in its support.
Also, see pleading (legal statement):
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/ru/%D1 ... 9/pleading
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Inversus пишет: 27 мар 2021, 12:54 We are having grilled chicken and vegetables. - в подобных предложениях "having" значит "принимать пищу" ?
Это не значит, что have не может значить 'съедать' в простых временах:
He has an apple a day. Have a sandwich. I'll have a sandwich for breakfast.
- ответвление 'взять'.
Inversus пишет: 27 мар 2021, 12:54 It must have been a very difficult time. - как здесь понимать perfect ? Должно быть, это было очень трудное время (до сего момента) ?
прежде времени предположения
hoz
Благодарил (а): 99 раз

Сообщение hoz »

The pool is divided into three sections with a crawler lane for beginners.
Как понимать в данном случае слово crawler ?
Смысл я понимаю, но crawler же не может интерпретироваться как прилагательное..
Ответить