Вопрос про артикль

Обсуждение вопросов, нюансов и тонкостей грамматики английского языка любого уровня.

Модератор: zymbronia

kirill77786
Благодарил (а): 31 раз

Сообщение kirill77786 »

Здравствуйте! Подскажите пожалуйста, к какому слову относиться артикль "a" в этом предложении?:
I am having a fantastic time bike riding with my team all over DC, seeing all the monuments and visiting friends on the Hill.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян

Сообщение Харбин Хэйлунцзян »

kirill77786 пишет: 26 сен 2019, 05:15 Здравствуйте! Подскажите пожалуйста, к какому слову относиться артикль "a" в этом предложении?:
I am having a fantastic time bike riding with my team all over DC, seeing all the monuments and visiting friends on the Hill.

a time

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... ish/time_1
9 [countable] an event or occasion that you experience in a particular way

Did you have a good time in Spain?

Но есть проблема с bike riding. В этом контексте riding - причастие и я не уверен что его можно так модифицировать. Я бы написал riding a bike.

-
За это сообщение автора Харбин Хэйлунцзян поблагодарил:
kirill77786
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 26 сен 2019, 06:55 Но есть проблема с bike riding.
из Books, bike riding = riding a bikeПоказать
I was active all the time, bike riding, walking, [doing?] yoga in the backyard with my aunt. I found myself doing yoga twice a day in my room during the rainout to keep from going stir crazy*. On the fourth day, the rain stopped at some point before I awoke, ...
He used to spend time bike riding and playing sport with his children but hasn't done much exercise recently due to work commitments and difficulties being motivated to go outdoors with them. Alan hasn't been to the doctor for a couple of ...
Josh and Carrie had a great time bike riding for the rest of the day! Filler items Sean went to Kristy's house to see if 133.
With documented driving deficiencies on my record, pissing the Chief off for laughing at fatal scenes, and now getting lost while bike riding . . . there was no doubt in my mind that Deb was about to dump my sorry ass and I'd soon be back on ...
The year went along great until I broke my ankle the second day of Christmas vacation while bike riding with my husband on a bike trail. This turned my world upside down as I struggled with constant pain and nausea for months. I had torn all ...
Both are likely to live mainly through the mind, intellect, and mental pursuits. Likely they will meet while attending classes, seminars, or perhaps while bike riding around the community. Both will strike up conversations easily and have a ready ...
A number of couples I know actually take the time to talk about their relationships during evening walks or even while bike riding. This casual approach can work well because you release your emotional anxiety through the physical exercise.
Later, during my early 30's, I found myself bike riding again. And, like before, it wasn't really for pleasure or exercise. When I lived in Westchester County, NY, I rode my bike, two days, to Woodstock, then a few months later, again to Kingston, ...
СпойлерПоказать
Stir crazy: to have a sense of frustration for being or feeling confined in an unfavorable setting.
With all the noise and confusion around here, I'm going stir crazy in this office.
Может, у Арни и не родной английский, но тут всё ок.)
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
kirill77786
kirill77786
Благодарил (а): 31 раз

Сообщение kirill77786 »

Yety пишет: 26 сен 2019, 07:46
Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 26 сен 2019, 06:55 Но есть проблема с bike riding.
из Books, bike riding = riding a bikeПоказать
I was active all the time, bike riding, walking, [doing?] yoga in the backyard with my aunt. I found myself doing yoga twice a day in my room during the rainout to keep from going stir crazy*. On the fourth day, the rain stopped at some point before I awoke, ...
He used to spend time bike riding and playing sport with his children but hasn't done much exercise recently due to work commitments and difficulties being motivated to go outdoors with them. Alan hasn't been to the doctor for a couple of ...
Josh and Carrie had a great time bike riding for the rest of the day! Filler items Sean went to Kristy's house to see if 133.
With documented driving deficiencies on my record, pissing the Chief off for laughing at fatal scenes, and now getting lost while bike riding . . . there was no doubt in my mind that Deb was about to dump my sorry ass and I'd soon be back on ...
The year went along great until I broke my ankle the second day of Christmas vacation while bike riding with my husband on a bike trail. This turned my world upside down as I struggled with constant pain and nausea for months. I had torn all ...
Both are likely to live mainly through the mind, intellect, and mental pursuits. Likely they will meet while attending classes, seminars, or perhaps while bike riding around the community. Both will strike up conversations easily and have a ready ...
A number of couples I know actually take the time to talk about their relationships during evening walks or even while bike riding. This casual approach can work well because you release your emotional anxiety through the physical exercise.
Later, during my early 30's, I found myself bike riding again. And, like before, it wasn't really for pleasure or exercise. When I lived in Westchester County, NY, I rode my bike, two days, to Woodstock, then a few months later, again to Kingston, ...
СпойлерПоказать
Stir crazy: to have a sense of frustration for being or feeling confined in an unfavorable setting.
With all the noise and confusion around here, I'm going stir crazy in this office.
Может, у Арни и не родной английский, но тут всё ок.)
👍👍👍
Харбин Хэйлунцзян

Yety пишет: 26 сен 2019, 07:46 bike riding = riding a bike

Не все что находится в Google Books есть хорошо. Возьмем пример более древней активности - riding a horse. По моим подсчетам выражение was horse riding с чистым причастием (не gerund) встречается ровно 5 раз:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22was+ ... 22&tbm=bks

Самое интересное что первый раз в 1988 году притом что на лошадях англы и саксы катались до того как смешались и заговорили по-английски. По-моему это хороший повод задуматься.

-
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 26 сен 2019, 12:45 Не все что находится в Google Books есть хорошо.
А я-то думал, не подсократить ли количество примеров. Из книжек, не из презренных уст из-под презренных клав плебса. А вишь - всё равно не убедило.)
Значит, это дб повод задуматься, насколько эти авторы использовали неорганичную для английского конструкцию.. Задумался... Остался при прежних, уж не обессудьте.)
Чессгря, задумался с самого начала - не смог услышать ничего смутительного - полез в гуглобуки - нашел примеры -> как о грамматической ошибке говорить нельзя. Могу, конечно, ошибаться - как мы знаем.)
Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 26 сен 2019, 12:45 выражение was horse riding с чистым причастием (не gerund) встречается ровно 5 раз:
Это подмена тезиса, кмк. Причастие как часть временнОй формы может быть и нетипичным явлением (не значит ошибочным), но мы говорим о причастии не в роли "сказуемого":
СпойлерПоказать
An Act to secure the wearing of protective headgear by children while horse riding; to prescribe offences and penalties; and for connected purposes.
C A High Court found the appellant liable to the respondent on the actio de pauperie D H for bodily injuries she had sustained while horse riding. On appeal the Supreme Court of Appeal set aside the finding of the Court a quo on the basis that ...
Ada spent her time horse riding, the 'finest of all medicines', as she put it in a letter to Mary, designed to reassure her mentor that she was fully recovered and ready for her return to London. 'If I am to believe your daughters' own account of ...
That was my first time horse riding, and I felt so happy and safe. I looked down and the splashes from the sea were cooling me down and I thought that if I fell, I would fall into the sea. Bruno rode beside me and smiled; he looked very happy.
Это могут быть менее частотные способы выражения подобной идеи, но никак не ungrammatical. Кроме того, в horse riding, в отличие от riding a horse ощущается большая субстантивность близость к существительному, которая может задавать оттенок значения регулярности, цельности и пр. этого занятия или, например, применяться для большей экономичности высказывания.

PS Вы кмк снова отказываете языку в развитии - как мы уже неоднократно отмечали. Это мб новомодный тренд, но то, что он безобразен, - совершенно не обязательно.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян

Yety пишет: 26 сен 2019, 13:30 Это подмена тезиса, кмк. Причастие как часть временнОй формы может быть и нетипичным явлением (не значит ошибочным), но мы говорим о причастии не в роли "сказуемого":

Все примеры кроме одного из 21 века. То же самое с примерами bike riding из вашего предыдущего сообщения. Вас это может и не смущает но мне оценку отлично за английский в школе и оценку хорошо за языки в институте поставили до того как на свет появились все ваши примеры.

-
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Просто обезоруживаете таким аргументом.))
Ну, horse riding в go/went/gone horse riding - тоже причастие, но против его "аутентичности" протестовать же не станете (?).
Его близость к существительному подчёркивается тем, что многие даже пишут через дефис, как обнаружилось.

А где go horse riding, там недалеко и до spend time horse riding.

Howgh, I'm afraid.)
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 26 сен 2019, 13:40 мне оценку отлично за английский в школе и оценку хорошо за языки в институте поставили до того как на свет появились все ваши примеры.
But this is soooo stubborn. Languages keep changing just like ppl keep getting older, and we can't do anything about it.
When I was a school girl, no one could imagine using 'there's' with plurals, and now I find such examples in student's books at intermediate levels as features of spoken language. Yeah, this structure's undergoing a process of transformation in the minds of the English speakers - it's losing its plurality, absorbing the verb into its 'formal subject' meaning. Today we still mark it as spoken and inappropriate for academic discourse, but who knows what happens in 10 years? We may feel sad and nostalgic about what things used to be like; however, we can't stop that train.
Kind_Punk
Благодарил (а): 172 раза

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Yety пишет: 26 сен 2019, 14:06 многие даже пишут через дефис, как обнаружилось.
Неустоявшееся, насколько я понял ) Хотя про лошадок я бы тоже с дефисом написал )

Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing *** junk food into your mouth...
Харбин Хэйлунцзян

Juliemiracle пишет: 26 сен 2019, 14:06 But this is soooo stubborn.

Вас трудно понять, Julie. Вы сами иногда пишите что некоторые изменения вас не устраивают. А мне не нравится She was horse riding. Вот He was deer hunting мне не режет ухо. Я понимаю что сейчас меня запишут в сексисты. :)

-
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 26 сен 2019, 15:00 Я понимаю что сейчас меня запишут в сексисты. :)
No one will dare :)
Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 26 сен 2019, 15:00 Вы сами иногда пишите что некоторые изменения вас не устраивают.
Yeah, it's true, I tend to be too conservative at times, but I'm working on it.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян пишет: 26 сен 2019, 15:00 А мне не нравится She was horse riding.
It's just you often say, "I don't like this new meaning of the word, I don't like descriptive grammar, etc. It wasn't like that when I was a student.' It wasn't, but now it is... Just like my wrinkles - they keep appearing no matter how much I wish they weren't :)
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Kind_Punk пишет: 26 сен 2019, 14:34 Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows
Этот примерчик вполне однозначно дб с дефисами внутри определений, слепленных из двух+ слов (где-то даже тема соответствующая тут теплилась).

В примерах же, где это причастие не стало прилагательным-определением, - действительно, прямо стенка на стенку, что было слегка неожиданно:
1976 - In the morning we went horse riding all morning, afternoon and night.
2011 - He owned a large red sandstone house in Pollokshields, went horse riding at the weekends on his country property at Aberfoyle, and owned a lot of land in Giffnock.
1972 - They went horse-riding in Mexico, Charlotte's hair streaming like a mane as she went galloping ...
1990 - 'I went horse-riding again very soon after the birth of our son Michael. I used to leave him in his safe cot on the verandah.
2004 - That was a happy and equally rewarding time, and looking back on the years of my youth, I have to add that I also went horse-riding and ice-skating and generally busied myself in many wholesome outdoor activities.
Ответить