Speaking Club's Chronicles

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

zymbronia
Благодарил (а): 195 раз

Сообщение zymbronia »

Hi, dear Friends and Club Members.

I would like that you will improve not only your spoken English, but your written English as well.
Let's discuss our activities here, make suggesions, offers and give some pieces of advice here.
As well we can discuss some small issues regarding those sources which we are using for our current speaking activities. We can discuss rules, some idioms from the books we are reading and movies and anything.

Please try to post at least one valuable message a week. Please evryone who would like to improve quicker just join this thread and go on with your practising English via discussions and questions/answers.

Who will be the first to write a significant message either question or suggestion?
За это сообщение автора zymbronia поблагодарили (всего 2):
Katee, Natalinna
Natalinna
Благодарил (а): 29 раз

Сообщение Natalinna »

Hello dear friends!
I suggest to work with the books "Speak good English" by Golovchinskaya.
Chinara and another respected member of our forum (sorry, I could not look for the name)
have written about these books.
Chinara wrote: "А Головчинская просто супер тексты отрабатывает, прямо на молекулы и атомы разбирает 👍"
The books contain original short texts and different activities with them.
We could read three texts at home and then could answer the questions of the book in the speaking club.
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

Will it be an additional topic and a day or shall we do it instead of something else?

I was thinking of picking up an UMK (whatsoever it means) and go on by doing a combination of tasks in various filds including reading, speaking, writing, listening, and UoE. So to say, do preparation for PET/FCE exams just for fun.
Natalinna
Благодарил (а): 29 раз

Сообщение Natalinna »

zymbronia,

We need to see how many time it will take to do three topics.
If it take a little we have to think what shall we do something else.
And if this does not please us we could choose other UMK.
Katee
Благодарил (а): 147 раз

Сообщение Katee »

I have some doubts about this book. As far as I know this book is for foreign languages departments. I'm not sure it would be a great experience for those who are struggling=)
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

Katee пишет: 21 мар 2018, 20:59 I'm not sure it would be a great experience for those who are struggling=)
this one
Natalinna пишет: 21 мар 2018, 07:18 "Speak good English" by Golovchinskaya
?

Do you know it? I had a look - it is an easy reading for elementary - preintermediate. We can use it when we want to relax, I think.
Katee

Сообщение Katee »

Yes, there are 5 books -- one for each year of study, so they will get more complicated=) And mind that there are no keys in the book.
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

I see. I found one book, but I didn't know there were five of them. That book which I saw was an easy one. We wouldn't need keys for it. However, maybe the fifth book is really hard :)
Katee

Сообщение Katee »

Anyway, I will gladly give it a try, but if only we will do the exercises beforehand on our own=) Together we can answer the questions to the text and retell it. Otherwise I will fall asleep as well as you)))
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

Katee, if it will even take place, it will be on Sunday's mornings. I don't know if it will be convinient for you. Anyway, with you, I prefer to do C1-C2 exercises from Destination and Upstream :)
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

Katee пишет: 22 мар 2018, 00:02 Yes, there are 5 books -- one for each year of study
Right you are. Now I looked at it and I could see that this is the first year book.
Maybe the fifth year book is very difficult :)
coolek14

Сообщение coolek14 »

Hi gyus,

What do you think about trying to begin some kind of debate club via skype?
I've participated once in event like this, but only offline and it was quite interesting.

Let me explain the process deeply. Before the meeting participants will be given some topic for discussion, "What do you think about ...?"
After this and having chosen the side (for or against), they have to prepare for further discussion and eventually discuss it during the call.

What do you think about it?
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

coolek14 пишет: 23 мар 2018, 09:42 What do you think about trying to begin some kind of debate club via skype?
Good idea!
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

Shall we retell The Subtle Knife next Sunday? Do you have any other idea?
maximus
Благодарил (а): 124 раза

Сообщение maximus »

zymbronia, I like the first part of the trilogy. There are not very difficult language and interesting story but I am not sure the other participants have the same opinion. Did somebody offer the other novel? If nobody does I would to continue the same book.
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

maximus пишет: 26 мар 2018, 07:10 I would to continue the same book.
I think you have noticed that I put in skype "The Subtle Knife, Chapters I and II" for next Sunday. Enjoy :)
maximus

Сообщение maximus »

Unfortunately, I have not discussed the end of the book yesterday. And I have a question. What is the nature of the Dust you think? What is the link between the original sin and the Dust? The children inherit the sin in the moment of birth in Christian doctrine, didn't they? Why is dust fallen on only mature people? What is happening at the moment of maturity? Who has understood the concept of the Dust?
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

maximus пишет: 26 мар 2018, 07:32 What is the nature of the Dust you think? What is the link between the original sin and the Dust?
The nature of Dust? As far as I understood it came from the Aurora. Therefore, it is originated from the Aurora. Who created Dust there up in the sky, I don't know. I am not sure that I read about this or even if I read, I could understand it.

As to the sin, it was just mentioned in the Bible that people will become dust, and the interpretation of this mentioning was disputable whether people could understand it correctly or not. That is another riddle to which I couldn't find a solution in the last two chapters. If you found more, I will reread the last two chapters to make up my mind and discuss this issue with you.

As I couldn't understand the previous questions, there is no sense in trying to answer your following questions. We need to reread the last chapters and think hard of their meaning. However, it is just a fairy tale. Do you think Pullman implied any meaning to his story?
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

7 April, Saturday, 7.30-9.30 am. msk Phrasal Verbs in Use Units 67-70 + free talk for 20 min
8 April, Sunday, 9.00 pm. Msk His Dark Material, SUBTLE KNIFE, Chapters III and IV
9 April, Monday, 21.00-23.00 msk, Upstream Advanced, WB
10 April, Tuesday, 20.30-22.30 msk. Beginner’s Challenge. Instant Discussions. Unit 15 p.32

maximus пишет: 26 мар 2018, 07:32 What is the nature of the Dust you think?
What is your idea of the nature of Dust?
I think Black Holes are its sources. However, I cannot even imagine how it looks like. I think it is very small particles and black so we cannot see them and there is no instrument to see them too.
Dust is the matter from which the universe was created.
maximus

Сообщение maximus »

zymbronia пишет: 26 мар 2018, 23:15 As far as I understood it came from the Aurora
Aurora is a bridge in the different world only. If I understand it properly. The hypothesis with the black holes is liked me better.
zymbronia пишет: 26 мар 2018, 23:15 it is just a fairy tale
I don't think so. Pulman said he had put some anti-church ideology in it. I think the dust is a central element of it.
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

maximus пишет: 04 апр 2018, 07:22 The hypothesis with the black holes is liked me better.
I like the hypothesis of black holes better.

According to the Bible everything was created out of dust. It is Pulman's idea, I think.
maximus

Сообщение maximus »

Hi! Suddenly, I have found an article about Svalbard. It exists and there are a lot of polar beer here! The article named "A Visit to the Nordic Islands Where Polar Bears Outnumber People". It is about our story exactly. You can find it here https://www.vogue.com/article/visiting- ... -adventure. In the first time, I have had listened to education podcast about seed vault where real Svalbard was mentioned and I found the prove during reading the article too. Read and enjoy :)
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

maximus пишет: 09 апр 2018, 07:07 I have found an article about Svalbard. It exists and there are a lot of polar beer here!
Maxim, I studied geography very well at school. I wasn't surprised at all when I read those names in the book. They either exist or very close to those that exist. Including names such as "samoyeds".

Interesting that nobody besides me knew that :) Didn't people study geography at other schools but mine?
Even the name Grumman sounds like "Grummant" - another name for Svalbard.
Шпицбе́рген (нем. Spitzbergen), также Сва́льбард (норв. Svalbard), Спитсбе́рген (нидерл. Spitsbergen), Гру́мант — обширный полярный архипелаг, расположенный в Северном Ледовитом океане, между 76°26' и 80°50' северной широты и 10° и 32° восточной долготы.
maximus

Сообщение maximus »

zymbronia, you are cool! I have studied geography badly obviously. I hadn't known about it until I read the article. Today I have just found an article about a travel to "His dark material" places - Svalbard and Gruman https://www.aviasales.ru/blog/shpicberg ... ergen_gayd
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

maximus, why not study geography in English? or maybe in French by books by Jules Gabriel Verne ? I am not sure if it is feasable to read Jules Gabriel Verne's books in English :)
Ответить