Trollophobia

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo, OK, so we should distinguish between different cases of not understanding someone's jokes. You may simply not know what or who they are about. You may have a different sense of humor, i.e. you laugh at different situations. I admit the possibility that it can also be caused by a different background. And finally you may not have a sense of humor at all, which seems unlikely to be due to the background.

Since our Nigga isn't really a nigga, he must have a background similar to ours. Not exactly the same, due to different generations, but still. Some parts of our culture change quickly but others remain the same for decades or even centuries. So he must understand most of our humor or at least much of it, but I don't have that impression. That's why I am inclined to think that he lacks a sense of humor. In other words, the problem here is likely not the background.

As for English and American humor, or Russian vs. Ukrainian, again, cultures differ in some parts but are the same in others. There are universal things, common to all humans. Life in different countries doesn't differ in every detail. Some basic things are the same and can be understood across cultures.
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 13:56 Since our Nigga isn't really a nigga, he must have a background similar to ours. Not exactly the same, due to different generations, but still. Some parts of our culture change quickly but others remain the same for decades or even centuries. So he must understand most of our humor or at least much of it, but I don't have that impression. That's why I am inclined to think that he lacks a sense of humor. In other words, the problem here is likely not the background.
I can agree that you could have that impression by right. However, it is only your impression and it is difficult to make sure without having talked to him in person and do some specific test to determine whether he could laugh at any jokes at all. Maybe his sense of humour is hidden in depth of his nigga's soul even though he has been brought up in the same country as we.

I can agree with some of evidence, but we don't know the whole picture.
His trollophobia may not be due to his lack of humour but because he wants something to write to on the forum and his imagination couldn't extend beyond writing about trolls and niggas. Maybe those are his two beloved topics where he could feel confidence.
acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 13:56 cultures differ in some parts but are the same in others.
Cultures - yes, but humour may be similar even when you share it with somebody else, otherwise it is difficult to understand what people from another nation are talking about. Here is difficult to understand even a neighbour if you didn't know what he was doing yesterday. You need to know their culture and understand what they are joking about in order to laugh at their jokes. For one, I can easier understand about the election process than why people jokes at some moments in their election process. You need to know the exact background and event which happened to be seen humorous for those people involved. It is not like you say "I know a part of their culture, so I can understand their humour" Yes, you can in case you know what happened that deserves to be laughed at, otherwise you won't just understand as you won't understand a number of their idioms before looking at a dictionary or receiving a proper explanation of their meaning.
acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 13:56 Some basic things are the same and can be understood across cultures.
Yes, we can understand some details, which could be explained to us. Do you like jokes which are explained in detail? Even it is so, who is going to explain each single joke to you?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 12 фев 2020, 14:16 Maybe his sense of humour is hidden in depth of his nigga's soul even though he has been brought up in the same country as we.
Where did he get his nigga soul, then? From whatching nigga videos? That's unbelievable. Your soul is formed by your genes and the environment in which you grow. Otherwise you must have a Mormon soul because you have talked with Mormons. Can you tell a Mormon joke that you was able to understand only after you had acquired a Mormon soul?
Michelangelo пишет: 12 фев 2020, 14:16 His trollophobia may not be due to his lack of humour but because he wants something to write to on the forum and his imagination couldn't extend beyond writing about trolls and niggas.
If you lack imagination, you will lack a sense of humor too, I think. When someone tells you a story, you have to imagine the scene, the characters and the events, and then you can see the funny side of it. If you can't imagine anything but trolls and niggas, your sense of humor must be very limited. Some people will even be unable to notice it, I guess.
Michelangelo пишет: 12 фев 2020, 14:16 Do you like jokes which are explained in detail? Even it is so, who is going to explain each single joke to you?
I don't need that. Whenever I read books written by people from other countries, I don't have a problem understanding the actions and motivation of their characters. Nobody has ever had to explain them to me. Why can't I understand their humor without explanation? You definitely imagine more problems than there really are. We may not understand a joke or two, yes, but in most part they are not so specific.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 16:21 Where did he get his nigga soul, then?
was born with it in a white body?
acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 16:21 Your soul is formed by your genes and the environment in which you grow.
If you believe in the soul, in its presence in the body, you must believe that it is given by God, or put into our bodies by God. It is not genetical. The body is genetical, not soul.
acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 16:21 Can you tell a Mormon joke that you was able to understand only after you had acquired a Mormon soul?
I didn't joke with them, or rather, even if I tried they didn't understand me. However, it could be the lack of knowledge in subtleties of English from my side.
acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 16:21 When someone tells you a story, you have to imagine the scene, the characters and the events, and then you can see the funny side of it.
I don't think it is a mandatory condition. I think it is enough to know the series of events related to the joke and voilà - you got the point.
acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 16:21 Whenever I read books written by people from other countries, I don't have a problem understanding the actions and motivation of their characters.
I think you could understand jokes in books due to the background and context given in the book. But what is a joke is short without any context?
acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 16:21 Why can't I understand their humor without explanation?
You can understand their humour without "explanation" in case there is a context. If it is just a brief joke related to something which you haven't learnt - how could you possibly understand it? Isn't it the same in our language? When somebody tells a joke which context you don't know - will you laugh at it?

Of course you won't understand some English jokes because your lack of sense of humour, but because you don't know what they are about. Should you know the context, of course you will understand them -- this is from what our discussion started.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 12 фев 2020, 16:39 was born with it in a white body?
How is that possible? If you relate souls to God, you must remember that God never errs. What's the point of putting a black soul into a white body? To provide you and me with a topic for discussion so that we could practise our English? :) Well, I just can't believe we are so important that another person was doomed to live in such dissonance just to help us a bit.
Michelangelo пишет: 12 фев 2020, 16:39 I didn't joke with them, or rather, even if I tried they didn't understand me.
You mean they never joked themselves? Are you sure they were human? Or were they like that proverbial Jack who is all work and no play and so a dull boy?
Michelangelo пишет: 12 фев 2020, 16:39 I think it is enough to know the series of events related to the joke and voilà - you got the point.
Events are nothing without characters. Events in a joke is something that happens to people, and it usually matters what those people are. How they look or what their profession is, or their marital status, or age, or something else. Also it's important where the event takes place. In a bar, on a ship, in space.
Michelangelo пишет: 12 фев 2020, 16:39 I think you could understand jokes in books due to the background and context given in the book. But what is a joke is short without any context?
There is always some context. And usually it's not something exotic that you can't understand. More or less, you can imagine a bar, a ship and even a space station. You have at least seen them in movies if you've never been there.
Michelangelo пишет: 12 фев 2020, 16:39 Of course you won't understand some English jokes because your lack of sense of humour, but because you don't know what they are about.
Jokes are usually about people, and since most people are alike, it's not so hard to understand jokes about them. Jokes about Reptilians would be more difficult for us, I guess. Maybe your Mormons were Reptilians? Did you ever notice that their skin was a little greenish? Or maybe when you shook hands with them, their palms were a bit too cold? :)
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 17:07 You mean they never joked themselves? Are you sure they were human? Or were they like that proverbial Jack who is all work and no play and so a dull boy?
No. I just mean that my jokes were not funny for them. It could be by reason that I couldn't tell jokes in a funny way, i.e. it could be my fault exceptionally.
acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 17:07 Jokes are usually about people, and since most people are alike,
Yes, but different people could get into different situation and if you are not acquainted with the situation you won't probably understand the joke.
acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 17:07 Maybe your Mormons were Reptilians?
I think reptilians could replace an authority but not a common mormon in their bodies. EG, Putin or Poroshenko are subject to replacement. Why would reptilians need me or you? It could hardly be so unless reptilians are so numerous that they could get into anybody's body. :)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 12 фев 2020, 17:28 No. I just mean that my jokes were not funny for them.
Did you understand their jokes?
Michelangelo пишет: 12 фев 2020, 17:28 Yes, but different people could get into different situation and if you are not acquainted with the situation you won't probably understand the joke.
What do you mean by 'acquainted'? Nobody has ever thrown a cake into my face, as well as I've never done that to anyone. Why does this situation seem funny to me when I see it in a movie?
Michelangelo пишет: 12 фев 2020, 17:28 EG, Putin or Poroshenko are subject to replacement.
Poroshenko isn't a president anymore. And Zelenskiy has an interesting last name, doesn't he? Can it be a hint that he is Reptilian? :) Maybe his family is from their planet.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 18:04 Did you understand their jokes?
It depends. Anyway, I haven't seen them since 2014 and now I don't even know how they would take my jokes. Moreover, I am not a kind of humorous person. Even if I could understand some jokes, I don't joke very often myself.
Sometimes I can distort words or use them in indirect meaning which could seem funny to me. This is usually all what I could use as jokes. I don't remember funny stories told me by somebody.
acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 18:04 What do you mean by 'acquainted'?
I mean background. Not necessary to be involved in a context of a joke, it is enough to know how people arrived at telling a certain joke.
acapnotic пишет: 12 фев 2020, 18:04 Poroshenko isn't a president anymore

Anyway he continue behaving like a reptilian even now when he isn't a president any more.

As to Zelensky, I cannot make a decision on his behaviour right away, I still need a year or two to wait before making up my opinion about him. However, it is likely that a reptilian got his body to rule Ukraine. They always do that. First people just grow up, and they when they become somebody, a reptilian posses a body of a candidate or a nominee. They more often do exactly that. Like it was with Yuschenko. First he was an ordinary person, and then he became a friend of Poroshenko and a reptilian possessed his body. Maybe it possessed his body before they became friends, I didn't follow him before his election too close.

I don't think, however, that the nigga is possessed by any reptilian, even though it seems that he lacks of sense of humour. I think he just has a specific sense which is incomprehensible for those who are not involved in niggas' culture.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 13 фев 2020, 13:13 It depends.
On what? Either you understood their jokes or you didn't. I don't understand your answer.
Michelangelo пишет: 13 фев 2020, 13:13 I mean background. Not necessary to be involved in a context of a joke, it is enough to know how people arrived at telling a certain joke.
Again, I don't understand. Arrived at telling a joke? What does this mean?
Michelangelo пишет: 13 фев 2020, 13:13 I think he just has a specific sense which is incomprehensible for those who are not involved in niggas' culture.
Or in Reptilian culture. His ostentatious interest in niggas may be just a disguise, to divert our thinking from the possibility of him being Reptilian.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 13 фев 2020, 15:40On what?
There are different jokes. Some of them I can understand and some of them demand explaining.
acapnotic пишет: 13 фев 2020, 15:40 rrived at telling a joke? What does this mean?
I meant that people have got into or heard something about a certain situation which they could likely understand and then they laugh when this situation is used in a certain joke. Otherwise, if they don't understand, why laugh?
acapnotic пишет: 13 фев 2020, 15:40 is ostentatious interest in niggas may be just a disguise, to divert our thinking from the possibility of him being Reptilian.
Those are just guesses. At least I don't have any direct evidence. He should not be too important to be possessed by a Reptilian, I think.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 13 фев 2020, 16:07 There are different jokes. Some of them I can understand and some of them demand explaining.
If you could understand some jokes of the Mormons, not being a Mormon yourself, why can't we understand Engish humor, not being Englishmen? Or do you have a Mormon background?
Michelangelo пишет: 13 фев 2020, 16:07 I meant that people have got into or heard something about a certain situation which they could likely understand and then they laugh when this situation is used in a certain joke. Otherwise, if they don't understand, why laugh?
I had never gotten into the situation where someone threw a cake into someone else's face, and I had never even heard about it before I saw it in a movie. Why did this situation look funny to me?
Michelangelo пишет: 13 фев 2020, 16:07 Those are just guesses. At least I don't have any direct evidence. He should not be too important to be possessed by a Reptilian, I think.
It's just your guess that he shouldn't be important. You don't know him. My guesses are definitely no worse than yours.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 13 фев 2020, 16:51 why can't we understand Engish humor, not being Englishmen?
But we can provided we know the background information.
acapnotic пишет: 13 фев 2020, 16:51 Or do you have a Mormon background?
I could read something or see in their movies or hear on TV.
Or some jokes could be common with or have something in common with ours.
acapnotic пишет: 13 фев 2020, 16:51 Why did this situation look funny to me?
I don't know - it is not funny for me at all.
I could just imagine myself in the place of the person having a cake into his face.
acapnotic пишет: 13 фев 2020, 16:51 My guesses are definitely no worse than yours.
Definitely not worse, but my guesses are more common.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 13 фев 2020, 17:29 Or some jokes could be common with or have something in common with ours.
Yes, exactly what I've said before. I'm glad to see that you agree with me. ;)
Michelangelo пишет: 13 фев 2020, 17:29 But we can provided we know the background information.
That's unnecessary. See your own answer above.
Michelangelo пишет: 13 фев 2020, 17:29 Definitely not worse, but my guesses are more common.
What do you mean? One of your guesses is that he has a black soul in a white body. Is it common? If he does, he is definitely not a common person, and so some Reptilians may well be interested in controlling him. Maybe he is on a special mission here on Earth, and they want to prevent that mission from being accomplished. This is all very logical and based on your own guess.

Of course, you may be a Reptilian yourself and now trying to support his disguise. You are not going to succeed in doing so. I see all your tricks, my coldblooded green friend.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 13 фев 2020, 17:57 That's unnecessary. See your own answer above
Maybe there is a kind of misunderstanding.
When I use "background" I mean that a person who is listening knows something about the meaning of the joke, ie, he/she could find something which they know before, ie, something common. To have something in common, in my opinion, is the same as "know the background of the joke"

I tried to say my opinion about that people from the same nation sometimes misunderstand each other when they couldn't catch something they both of them have known already. This was an idea. Maybe nigga watch so many videos that he started to understand their humour? We haven't watched them, so it is difficult for us to understand niggas' souls, moreover when the soul in a white body.
acapnotic пишет: 13 фев 2020, 17:57 What do you mean?
I mean that usually people try not to accept idea about reptilians, however, I started believing that reptilians are possible because everything in our life goes wrong. I cannot blame common people in that. They are just slaves, but I could blame our authorities - it is much easier. As those authorities do everything wrong (not everything of course, but many things) I cannot believe that they are such idiots, therefore, I started to believe that the do those that on purpose, ie, they are reptilians.
acapnotic пишет: 13 фев 2020, 17:57 One of your guesses is that he has a black soul in a white body. Is it common?
I read something like a girl's soul could get into a boy's body or otherwise, why a nigga's soul cannot get a white body? Just recall Michael Jackson - he struggled to become white - his soul couldn't accept a black body.
acapnotic пишет: 13 фев 2020, 17:57 Of course, you may be a Reptilian yourself and now trying to support his disguise.
I may and I may not. At least I am not an authority to be interesting for reptilians. He is not an authority too, I guess, but it is only my guess.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 14 фев 2020, 09:48 To have something in common, in my opinion, is the same as "know the background of the joke"
The problem with this definition is that all people have something in common. Actually, a lot. That's why most jokes are understandable to most people. Throwing cakes seems funny for that very reason.

You seem to believe that the life of English people is so very different from our life that it makes it nearly impossible for us to understand their humor. But they are human beings, just like us. They have the same needs and face the same problems, strive for the same goals and make the same mistakes, etc. Because they are human.

One possible explanation why you have so much trouble understanding jokes is that you are a Reptilian hypnotized into believing that you are human. The life of Reptilians may well be different enough to make it difficult for them to understand our humor.

So I think you should find out somehow who you really are. Your human body may be simply your avatar on Earth, while your real body may be somewhere in space, in a Reptilian space station.
Michelangelo пишет: 14 фев 2020, 09:48 As those authorities do everything wrong (not everything of course, but many things) I cannot believe that they are such idiots, therefore, I started to believe that the do those that on purpose, ie, they are reptilians.
Whether people do something wrong or something right depends on their goal. You may think that your authorities do something wrong just because you mistakenly believe that their goal is your well-being. And you believe it just because they say so. But isn't it a little naive? Draw their real goals from what they do.

That holds true not just for the authorities but for anyone. Our behavior tells much more truth about us than our words. But of course it's harder to analyze someone's behavior than simply trust their words. We prefer, like that guy in a joke, to search under a lamppost because there is more light there.

To have a goal different from your well-being, one doesn't have to be Reptilian. It may simply be so because his well-being depends on how much he can steal from you. There are also stupidity and ignorance, both of which are perfectly human.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 14 фев 2020, 15:08 You seem to believe that the life of English people is so very different from our life that it makes it nearly impossible for us to understand their humor.
why should I repeat that I think that each person lives their own life and they could understand other people only to the extend of their communications between themselves. Of course, there must be something that is inherit for all the mankind, but there are a lot of small differences which only a certain group of people could know. That is why sometimes it is difficult to understand even jokes said by your next-door neighbour. We are just talking about the same over and over. There are difference. People are similar cause they all are descendants from Adam and Eve but they all have different situations to laugh at. And those situations are strange for those who haven't had any experience with them. If they are televised and explained - then some people would be able to understand them better and even laugh, otherwise there are a lot of situation which are dull for some people whereas fun for some others. Why did Americans prohibit Zadornov to come and tell his jokes there? Because they didn't understand their jokes. They thought Zadornov laughed at them, whereas he laughed at himself and Russians and all people from the former USSR as they lived the same life. Zadornov didn't know how Americans lived to laugh at them. They were just abstract imagination of his, not real subject to joking about.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo, you don't have to repeat anything, only if you want to. I expressed my opinion, that's all. I read your posts and draw from them my conclusions about you. If they don't match your view of yourself, that's no wonder. We look at the same object (you) from different perspectives, and also out of different backgrounds. By repeating something again and again, you are not going to convince me in anything. It's better to try and find some new arguments.

But of course I'm not going to forbid you those repetitions. If you feel an urge to repeat, do it. I can ignore anything that isn't interesting for comment. There is also a theoretical chance that after reading something in n-th time I will be enlightened and able to see your infinite wisdom at last. So it's up to you to decide whether you should repeat something or not, as well as I am free to read it or to skip and to comment it or to ignore. We are here to practise, aren't we?

In case you get a feeling that I am trolling you, look at the title of this thread and consider the possibility of you having a fit of trollophobia. ;)
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 14 фев 2020, 16:01 By repeating something again and again, you are not going to convince me in anything.
I just cannot understand what I explained incorrectly so that you cannot get my point of view that if people know the situation (it could be common for different peoples worldwide, for example) than they understand the joke, if the situation is uncommon - then why should they laugh?

I am not going to convince you in anything, I just think that I am unable to explain it to you. I repeat myself as I cannot find better words for explaining my idea to you.

I just know that after reading The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club I became disappointed as I read in the Introduction to the book that it was the funniest book ever. I haven't found anything funny in it - rather dull. What is the problem? Because I didn't know any background information. I think.
The same with Alice in the Wonderland - I started to understand those puns only after I read the book for the fourth time with comments. Only the comments helped me understand the puns in the book and then it became funny to me.
acapnotic пишет: 14 фев 2020, 16:01 In case you get a feeling that I am trolling you,
As of now, I think that I cannot explain myself. Sometimes I could think that you try to troll, but not during this session fortunately. Now I think you are serious and not joking, nor pulling my leg, nor kidding me, and of course you are not trolling me right now, however, before I could have such ideas about your trolling me not once :)
Now I like your messages (I don't know for how long however)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo, but what are you trying to explain, actually? That people have something in common and something different? I am saying the same. What we seem to disagree about is whether people are more common or more different. You seem to see more difference and I more similarity. That's all. There is nothing to explain there.

This difference between us may be due to the difference in our experience with English humor. You don't understand it more often than you do, and I understand it more often than not. It's like with everything else. Someone says life is a great adventure, and someone else sees it as a dull and monotonous trudge to the grave.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 14 фев 2020, 16:58 That people have something in common and something different? I am saying the same. What we seem to disagree about is whether people are more common or more different. You seem to see more difference and I more similarity. That's all. There is nothing to explain there.
ОK. In that case we don't have any disagreement in this issue any more.

So once we solve our misunderstanding we can start a new topic, I mean, we can consider another facet of trollophobia :)
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

As of today, I noticed a new feature of our beloved trollophobe - he started to roam about in search for somebody who would respond to his provocations. In other words, it has become dull for him that nobody or just a few people started paying attention to his posts. From a trollophobe he is turning in downright troll. Therefore, his moaning about a lot of trolls who visit his threads was just a cover of his troll essence. Now, how one could possibly believe in good intentions of those who "protect" the forum from trolls?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo, yes, I've also noticed that. We were supposed to be on his black list but he suddenly saw our posts and replied to them. Very strange indeed. You may be right that he wants someone he could blame for trolling again. Otherwise his trollophobia looks too unjustified, because where are the trolls who he so often mentions? In his head only?
the Troll
Благодарил (а): 2 раза

Сообщение the Troll »

Hi folks! Nice to meet you.
Why would anybody fear us trolls? Don't fear or hate us, please. Be inclusive.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Hi, the Troll, as a matter of fact, there are some people (maybe even more than a dozen of them) who consider me a troll, and TS started this topic (I think) because somebody called him a troll.

So a person who we talk about is actually hates us who are discussing trollophobia.

If you are a troll, you can join our discussion and research the roots of such a phenomenon as "trolophobia". Why do you think some people are afraid of you and even tend to hate you? What is the root of their fears?
acapnotic пишет: 18 фев 2020, 08:51 You may be right that he wants someone he could blame for trolling again.
He asked to ban him from the forum. Do you think it will be a good think if he is really banned and we don't have a trollophobe here? If it happens, we won't have a subject of our research. What will we be doing in that case? Who would be a subject of our discussion in that case?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 18 фев 2020, 10:06 If it happens, we won't have a subject of our research.
Yes, that's a problem. Trollophobes aren't nice people, but neither are viruses or bacteria, and still scientists have to deal with them. We need at least one trollophobe to make our observations and test our hypotheses. But doesn't he want to be banned simply to create another account? In that case he will stay here, and I agree with your opinion in another thread that he will be the same. He doesn't seem to have enough imagination to create another personality. He is rather limited in his interests. As soon as we see a forum member obsessed with Niggas and asking odd questions about Englishmen and Americans, that will be him.
Ответить

Вернуться в «Practise Your English»