Trollophobia

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

the Troll пишет: 18 фев 2020, 09:37 Don't fear or hate us, please. Be inclusive.
Only if you stop trolling and become constructive. There is no other way. All the other ways lead to your exclusion. I am almost sorry to say that (probably because you haven't trolled me yet), but a sad truth is still a truth. Let's be realistic and not expect miracles to happen. Trolls are the enemies of humankind (see? I can be inclusive and use gender neutral names). Trollophobes exist because of you, and because of you they call us, innocent people, trolls. That's not nice at all. We don't like it.
the Troll
Благодарил (а): 2 раза

Сообщение the Troll »

There are trolls and... there are [other] trolls, you know.

And nobody is innocent, by the way. There are only different degrees of sinfulness.
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

the Troll пишет: 18 фев 2020, 11:48 only different degrees of sinfulness.
About what difference are you talking? Don't you know that if you are writing in a trollophob's thread, you are doomed to be a troll?
the Troll

Сообщение the Troll »

But I am the Troll. So what?
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

the Troll пишет: 18 фев 2020, 11:55So what?
You won't be allowed access to the trollophobe's threads. Maybe to some others as well. I dunno 'bout the others, though.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

the Troll пишет: 18 фев 2020, 11:48 And nobody is innocent, by the way.
We are simply the first innocent people you've met. No wonder that you didn't know about our existence. You couldn't have met us by your way because our ways are different. Ours are ways of innocence and yours are ways of sin. You troll people and we joke with them. But some of them are trollophobes and mistake us for you, unfortunately. They fail to see the huge difference between us because their minds are confused.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 18 фев 2020, 12:16 You won't be allowed access to the trollophobe's threads.
Not access but communication. Both you and I can go to one of those threads and post there. But what for? To see again our innocence insulted by unfounded accusations? I don't think it makes much sense. Maybe the Troll could go there and show the topic starter what the true troll looks like, so that he won't mistake us for trolls anymore.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 18 фев 2020, 13:08 Maybe the Troll could go there and show the topic starter what the true troll looks like, so that he won't mistake us for trolls anymore.
Of course I am not "a true troll", however, sometimes I could do a kind of training in trolling, and sometimes trollophobes' complaints are half-grounded as I could agree with them that I don't sometimes follow nice way of communications. However, I am joking with them (maybe even trolling a little bit) not because I like doing that, but because their post are provoking people to do so. If their posts are too outstanding or incomprehensible for most participants - what can the participants write there? Either nothing, or some incomprehensible rubbish matching the TS's messages. Of course, if somebody wants to write in trollophobes' threads, it is better to restrain oneself from doing so and write in our topics to practise English. You could kill two birds - you can practise in "trolling" and in English simultaneously.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 18 фев 2020, 13:23 You could kill two birds - you can practise in "trolling" and in English simultaneously.
Yes, but you shouldn't forget which bird is the main one. Trolling should be sacrificed to practising if you have to choose. If you troll too much, your partner may get offended and leave you alone, which isn't good for practice. This is true not only for trolling but also for serious discussion. Not every topic can be discussed seriously by every forum member. If it's far above their head, they'll likely leave you alone again.

This idea of focusing on one bird is not easy to follow, as I know very well from my own experience. We always want to do multiple things at once. But we should at least prioritize and drop the less important ones, not the more important, when it's too hard to carry them all.
the Troll

Сообщение the Troll »

acapnotic пишет: 18 фев 2020, 13:08 Maybe the Troll could go there and show the topic starter what the true troll looks like, so that he won't mistake us for trolls anymore.
Unfortunately for some, that's not what trolls are for.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

the Troll, What do you see the goal of trolls in? If they are not for trolling, then, why do they exist at all?
Trolls must troll in trollophobes' threads - this is their purpose of existence.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo, you are right. I am surprised by his post as well. Probably he isn't a true troll, just someone pretending to be one. Well, that's OK, since this thread isn't about being serious, but still we need a real troll to show him/her to our trollophobe so he'll see the difference.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic, you know, a thought has come to my head - what is this troll is not a troll at all, but somebody who we well know but decided to troll us in our thread?
Maybe he is somebody who is tired of routine assistance to others in learning English and decided to practise in writing in English himself/herself?
For me, his appearance was a surprise. Why now and not a month before or a month later?
Let's investigate this topic, ie, whether he is a troll at all.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 18 фев 2020, 15:28 Let's investigate this topic, ie, whether he is a troll at all.
Well, to some extent he is, because the question "у меня нет ваших проблем, что со мной не так?" is definitely trolling.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic, OK, if he is a true troll, it must mean that the trollophobe's phobia is grounded, right? There could be a swarm of trolls who could troll him all the way through his presence on this forum, and it could be better for him to change his nickname and to hide himself from trolls. They trollophobia is justified,right?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 18 фев 2020, 16:08 if he is a true troll, it must mean that the trollophobe's phobia is grounded, right?
Not at all. Right in response to that trolling question, our trollophobe assured our suspected troll that he is normal. I think it's only logical that if trollophobes see normal people as trolls, they also see trolls as normal people. Because their minds are confused. Don't you think so? But if their phobia works only against normal people, is it justified?

On the other hand, perceiving a clearly trolling behavior as normal should be normal, logically speaking, to trolls. So maybe our trollophobe is indeed a troll himself. That means we have two explanations for the situation.
the Troll

Сообщение the Troll »

Those who troll are trollers not trolls by the way.
The main entertainment of real trolls is swinging a stone club at your head.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

There is no such word, so we'll continue to use 'troll' for that, I think.
the Troll

Сообщение the Troll »

It's sad. I had some hope...
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

the Troll, you named yourself "the Troll", does it mean that you are swinging a stone club at people's heads?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

the Troll пишет: 19 фев 2020, 09:02 It's sad. I had some hope...
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

I doubt we should increase the number of English words. There are so many of them already. What a burden for us learners! Our memory's capacity isn't infinite. Imagine that one day you want to memorize something important but you can't because your memory is full. The 1M+ of English words have taken it all. And you don't even need most of them. What a bad day it would be.
the Troll

Сообщение the Troll »

Michelangelo пишет: 19 фев 2020, 09:41 the Troll, you named yourself "the Troll", does it mean that you are swinging a stone club at people's heads?
It's a vulgar entertainment, it is beneath my contempt. I am the Troll not a troll.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

the Troll пишет: 19 фев 2020, 11:49 I am the Troll not a troll.
You mean that you are the only Troll? Are there any other trolls but you? Are you sure? Or you mean just your nickname? In that case - yes, you are "the Troll" but what is the difference with "a troll"? Are they too weak as compared with you or what?
Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

acapnotic пишет: 19 фев 2020, 10:16 The 1M+ of English words have taken it all.
I doubt that. According to this, the limit of our memory capacity is one million gigabytes. Merriam-Webster's Advanced Learner's English Dictionary contains approximately 100 thousand entries and is just 180 megabytes. 10 times 180 is 1800 MB - so to store 1 million words, we need only 1 GB of memory. In comparison to 1 million we have, 1 GB is nothing.

The problem is to memorize and then remember them all. But we shouldn't worry about 'lack of room'' for knowledge.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 19 фев 2020, 12:05 According to this, the limit of our memory capacity is one million gigabytes.
Maybe, but how much of it is free? It may already be almost full of garbage. Besides, all those bytes relate to how information is stored in computers.
From your link:
The brain’s exact storage capacity for memories is difficult to calculate. First, we do not know how to measure the size of a memory. Second, certain memories involve more details and thus take up more space; other memories are forgotten and thus free up space.
When memories are forgotten, do they really free up space? Or do we just get unable to find them? Sometimes it's very hard to recall something, so hard that you think you've lost that info, but if you try for a long time, you may suddenly find it again. I'm sure you've been in such situations yourself.
Ответить

Вернуться в «Practise Your English»