Have you ever reached your limit of acquiring new words?

Словарный состав языка, выбор лексических единиц, как учить и запоминать новые слова, тесты и задания на знание лексики, специальная лексика, словари и другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

QwestDay
Благодарил (а): 664 раза

Сообщение QwestDay »

Hi folks!

There is no denying that words are important. Especially new/high-level words. The more advanced text you read/want to produce, the more appropriate words you need to know. When learning new words, I try to restrict myself to 8-10 words a day. It seems to be OK. But today I've added to my ANKI deck 56 words and expressions, which made me think - is it OK to learn that many words? Will it help me or just confuse?

What about you? Do you push yourself, have you explored your limits is this area? Or just don't pay attention to that.

(as usual, you're welcome to point out my mistakes)
FPlay
Благодарил (а): 83 раза

Сообщение FPlay »

how did you come across those words and phrases?
paveltashkinov
Благодарил (а): 318 раз

Сообщение paveltashkinov »

Truth be told, it looks like I completely stopped deliberately learning new words about a year ago after passing CPE.
I doubt I reached the limit you are talking about.
My total score at vocabulary.com is approaching 12M. If the statistics offered by this site is to be believed, I may claim to have mastered 5548 words, having spent about 136 hours in total.
The last time I used this site was about a year ago, though.

The thing is, how many of these words would be found in your linguistic output (i.e. speaking and writing)?
What is the amount of words, idioms, phrasal verbs, and collocations that you deem sufficient for your purposes?
Do you need words like 'quiescence', 'zany', 'avocation', 'cornucopia' or many others that may be found in my writing?)
It is nice to be able to claim to have swallowed a thesaurus, but do you really need it?
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

FPlay, reading the book "Wild", watching TV show with John Oliver and list of CAE words. As the words strung out during the day, I think I mastered them well.

paveltashkinov, it's cool I think - 136 hours isn't that much if you factor in 5 thousand words mastered.

As for usefulness, I think I met word "zane" yesterday (and ignored) and cornucoia I met a few times before.
paveltashkinov

QwestDay,
As for usefulness, I think I met word "zane" yesterday (and ignored) and cornucoia I met a few times before.
So, the rate of you encountering those fancy words is not as frequent as it could have been if they were really useful, right?)
Dragon27
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Dragon27 »

Cornucopia is the name of a relic artifact in HoMM3. So some people may encounter this word quite a few times.
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

paveltashkinov, yeah, they're not so popular. But they help to fully understand the meaning.
Dragon27, that's why I know it ))
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

rate can't be frequent ..
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарили (всего 2):
QwestDay, paveltashkinov
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

tourist, what can it be? Low?
Последний раз редактировалось QwestDay 28 июл 2019, 16:58, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

High or low for example ..
paveltashkinov

tourist,
Now that I've re-read it, I see. Indeed, this turn of phrase is weird. Thanks for pointing out my mistake!
Ответить