Ваш идеал стиля

Обсуждение книг на английском языке, домашнее чтение, правила чтения на английском языке. Развитие письменной речи. Эссе, деловое письмо и другие виды письменных работ.

Модератор: zymbronia

Xander
Благодарил (а): 47 раз

Сообщение Xander »

tourist пишет: 08 июл 2019, 23:45 Xander,
they're bloody lawyers, what did you expect? )
Yeah, linguistically intimidating lawyers.
They could at least pretend that sometimes they are not entirely and completely and all around almost I'm afraid ridiculously lingua-perfect, and can fall 'victims' to occassional verbal inappropriaticies of slip-of-the-tonguish nature.
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Xander,
you ain't seen nothing yet.)
Wanna be really linguistically intimidated ?
Watch "Billions" !
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Eager Beaver
Xander

Сообщение Xander »

tourist пишет: 09 июл 2019, 00:06 Xander,
you ain't seen nothing yet.)
Wanna be really linguistically intimidated ?
Watch "Billions" !
Bender (now you sound like him, no offence))). Don't provoke me into mindless binge watching, puhlease. ) (I'm too easily provoked into that kind of thing.) Have too much linguistically challenging stuff to do already, between up to my neck and up to my ears. Excuses, excuses. ) Bt thanks for pointing this one out.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Xander,
between up to my neck and up to my ears
wow, that's more than up the wazoo ...
Xander

Сообщение Xander »

tourist пишет: 09 июл 2019, 00:32 Xander,
between up to my neck and up to my ears
wow, that's more than up the wazoo ...
Depends on the perspective, obviously.
Does 'Billions' have an episode of how to beat procrastination with obligation? I would very much like to know how to beat the hell out of procrastination.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Nope,procrastination is an incurable illness.
Looks like you're shit out of luck,buddy.
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

Eager Beaver, tourist,
whoa, suddenly I feel like a prom queen. :-)

Thanks guys, the feeling is more than mutual. You both are awesome.
Easy-Breezy English

Xander пишет: 08 июл 2019, 23:21 William Faulkner. Просто погружает тебя в другую, вымышленную, при этом очень реальную атмосферу.

Thomas Pynchon. А здесь я просто читаю, очень мало чего понимаю, и понимаю, что это что-то очень крутое.
Really? Much as I love American literature, I find Faulkner unbearably verbose.
And Pynchon reads like he was on a perpetual LSD trip when he wrote his stuff.

I'm sure you are familiar with Papa's famous quote about Faulkner, right?

"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don’t know the ten-dollar words.
I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use.”
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Easy-Breezy English,
was Faulkner's first name Pavel by any chance ?
Easy-Breezy English

As far as fiction goes, my personal favorite right now is Marilynne Robinson.
A really nonpareil style - weightless and dreamy, but deep and vivid at the same time.
Easy-Breezy English

tourist пишет: 09 июл 2019, 01:02 was Faulkner's first name Pavel by any chance ?
Really.
It's Pavel on steroids. No, two Pavels on a triple dose of steroids.
(And how about we just leave the poor kid alone for a while, huh?)
Xander

Сообщение Xander »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 июл 2019, 00:58 Really? Much as I love American literature, I find Faulkner unbearably verbose.
Sounds like me somewhere between my first and fifth tries. Just a stray observation. )
I hardly remember how many futile attempts it took me to start appreciating Faulkner.

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 июл 2019, 00:58 But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use.
Well, I dare - much as I hate - to disagree, because the 'devil' I personally see is not exactly in Faulkner's ten-eleven-dollar words ...
Easy-Breezy English

Xander пишет: 09 июл 2019, 01:20 Well, I dare - much as I hate - to disagree, because the 'devil' I personally see is not exactly in Faulkner's ten-eleven-dollar words ...
Right, I know, but all those WORDS, they do get in the way.
Easy-Breezy English

Xander пишет: 09 июл 2019, 01:20 I hardly remember how many futile attempts it took me to start appreciating Faulkner.
Actually, I might just give him (yet) another try. Upon hearing this. :-)
What's your favorite?
Xander

Сообщение Xander »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 июл 2019, 01:24 Right, I know, but all those WORDS, they do get in the way.
Don't remember. Probably because all of them were in my mind eclipsed by something much more ... how to say ... mesmerizing. Or spellbinding. Intensely dramatic. Yet there's no doubt he might easily be forest for the trees for many. Because of all of these WORDS.
Xander

Сообщение Xander »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 июл 2019, 01:27
Xander пишет: 09 июл 2019, 01:20 I hardly remember how many futile attempts it took me to start appreciating Faulkner.
Actually, I might just give him (yet) another try. Upon hearing this. :-)
What's your favorite?
Well, that's a tough call. Afraid I can't rate his only two novels I read.
As I Lay Dying
Light in August

Bear in mind that I brought Faulkner up with relation to first of all his personal style, not his (un)readability. ))
Easy-Breezy English

Xander пишет: 09 июл 2019, 01:43 As I Lay Dying
Light in August
Cool, thanks! Putting them on my reading list. Right after I make my long and winding way through Roth’s American Pastoral. Which is somewhat monotonous and tends to go off on these rambling tangents about the nature of being Jewish, but parts of it are quite brilliant.
Get this:

You fight your superficiality, your shallowness, so as to try to come at people without unreal expectations, without an overload of bias or hope or arrogance, as untanklike as you can be, sans cannon and machine guns and steel plating half a foot thick; you come at them unmenacingly on your own ten toes instead of tearing up the turf with your caterpillar treads, take them on with an open mind, as equals, man to man, as we used to say, and yet you never fail to get them wrong. You might as well have the brain of a tank. You get them wrong before you meet them, while you're anticipating meeting them; you get them wrong while you're with them; and then you go home to tell somebody else about the meeting and you get them all wrong again. Since the same generally goes for them with you, the whole thing is really a dazzling illusion. ... The fact remains that getting people right is not what living is all about anyway. It's getting them wrong that is living, getting them wrong and wrong and wrong and then, on careful reconsideration, getting them wrong again. That's how we know we're alive: we're wrong. Maybe the best thing would be to forget being right or wrong about people and just go along for the ride. But if you can do that -- well, lucky you. [emphasis mine]

Now, how cool is this?
Xander

Сообщение Xander »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 июл 2019, 01:52 Right after I make my long and winding way through Roth’s American Pastoral.
This novel is one of the best lessons one might want to be taught, many might need to be taught in the classroom, not out of, not in the face-to-face circumstances. Why? The answer is on the very last page, mercilessly knocking sense into the uninitiated.

Just googled that Roth mentions Faulkner as one of his influences, as well as Dostoyevsky, who has a chance to end up in my top one (or top three) stylists or writers regardless of style. Read some chapters of The Brothers Karamazov, and from the get-go, from the very first page it was clear the genius is talking, loud and clear.
Xander

Сообщение Xander »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 июл 2019, 01:52 That's how we know we're alive: we're wrong. Maybe the best thing would be to forget being right or wrong about people and just go along for the ride.
This I guess might very well be adressed to one of the major characters. Enough spoilers. ))
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 июл 2019, 01:52 Now, how cool is this?
Yeah, this passage actually is a meek attempt to talk sense into someone's head. Intro to the lesson.
Easy-Breezy English

Xander пишет: 09 июл 2019, 02:29 The answer is on the very last page, mercilessly knocking sense into the uninitiated.
Well, I've only made it through half the book so far... Honestly, I was a lot more impressed by The Human Stain, but we'll see.
It's not over till the fat lady, right? :-)
Xander пишет: 09 июл 2019, 02:29 Roth mentions Faulkner as one of his influences
Really? I would've never guessed. To me, Faulkner is a lot more subtle and subdued.
Ok, I'm sufficiently intrigued. :-) Totally going back to Faulkner after my struggle with Roth is over.
Thanks for наводка!
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 июл 2019, 00:58 I'm sure you are familiar with Papa's famous quote about Faulkner, right?

"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don’t know the ten-dollar words.
I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use.”
"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." -- William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

Where there's smoke there's fire)
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

Back from heaven )

... I'm a long-time member of [mention]irenai[/mention] fan club.
So happy she's back!

As for Russian, it's Yety.
One could say that my judgement is clouded by affection I have for him, but - just look - here I'm following tourist and Xander in their choice, the former is definitely not guilty of warm feelings for Yety.
So...
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

VictorB пишет: 10 июл 2019, 06:15 I'm sure you are familiar with Papa's famous quote about Faulkner, right?
His another one, less known, is this:

"Have you ever heard of anyone who drank while he worked? You're thinking of Faulkner. He does sometimes — and I can tell right in the middle of a page when he's had his first one."

Coming from chronic alcoholic Hemingway, wasn't that a bit reach? )
Пружина

Сообщение Пружина »

Xander пишет: 08 июл 2019, 23:34 Russian - Пружина, aka Nabokov in disguise
Ого! Спасибо, душа моя.
Меня, кстати, очень греет наш давний приватный разговор: я помню и ценю.

Темна вода во облацех {воздушных} - это библейская фраза, означающая, что ни фига не понятно. Тайна, покрытая мраком. А хто его знает, чего он моргает. И т.д.
Easy-Breezy English

VictorB пишет: 10 июл 2019, 06:44 Coming from chronic alcoholic Hemingway )
Hemingway actually made it a point to never drink before or while writing.
And of all people, Papa knew a thing or two about drinking. So you can think of this quote as an expert opinion. :-)

Speaking of Hemingway. Don't you think that for all his silly machismo, the guy was a freaking MASTER of short story?
I can't wrap my mind around the fact that he published In Our Time when he was only 26.
26, Карл!!!
He should've kept all his writing short. A lot of his longer pieces are outright boring.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарили (всего 2):
Ленья, Eager Beaver
Ответить

Вернуться в «Чтение и письмо»