Прочитаем и обсудим какую-нибудь книгу?

Обсуждение книг на английском языке, домашнее чтение, правила чтения на английском языке. Развитие письменной речи. Эссе, деловое письмо и другие виды письменных работ.

Модератор: zymbronia

tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Eager Beaver пишет: 05 окт 2019, 13:08 Juliemiracle, вы не знаете какую-нибудь похожую на Watching the English книгу, но про американцев?
Try something by Barbara_Ehrenreich
particularly:

Bite and Switch
and
Nicel and Dimed
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Juliemiracle
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

tourist,
have you read anything by her?
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Juliemiracle,
I read both. It's been a while though.
I found these books interesting, despite Barbara being a lefty.
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Juliemiracle
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

tourist пишет: 05 окт 2019, 18:38 Try something by Barbara_Ehrenreich
particularly:

Bite and Switch
and
Nicel and Dimed
Thanks! Interestingly, her name sounds familiar but searching the forum didn't return any results. Someone else must have mentioned her elsewhere.
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

Juliemiracle пишет: 23 июн 2019, 23:39 its insights into the English psyche (like the logic behind and the choreography of the famous weather-speak or the English humour and its impact) are revealing and captivating
Curiously, the insights into the English psyche have had the opposite effect on me so far. I'm about halfway through the book and starting to skip large sections of it.

Being English seems like living in one of those laser mazes. You can't so much as blow your nose without breaking one rule or another. Some life. I'm amazed more people don't go berserk there. But I suppose that would be too un-English for them.
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3371 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 06 окт 2019, 16:56 Being English seems like living in one of those laser mazes. You can't so much as blow your nose without breaking one rule or another. Some life. I'm amazed more people don't go berserk there. But I suppose that would be too un-English for them.
Talk about Very British Problems.
the whole series to illustrate that observation...Показать

Последний раз редактировалось Yety 06 окт 2019, 17:14, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
Easy-Breezy English

Eager Beaver пишет: 05 окт 2019, 13:08 Juliemiracle, вы не знаете какую-нибудь похожую на Watching the English книгу, но про американцев?
А вас только на английском интересует?
Мне показалось, что "Одноэтажная Америка" прямо в точку. As true now as it was then.
На английский, кстати, переведена (Little Golden America).
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
VictorB
Easy-Breezy English

Yety пишет: 06 окт 2019, 17:09 Talk about Very British Problems.
Yety, LOL. ))

I have a feeling that if I lived in Britain, I'd get to be a social outcast in about three and a half seconds. ))
I'd most likely have an uncontrollable urge to break every one of their silly rules. Just to make a point. )
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 06 окт 2019, 17:10 Мне показалось, что "Одноэтажная Америка" прямо в точку. As true now as it was then.
Спасибо! Можно будет перечитать, но, думаю, на русском.
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 06 окт 2019, 17:10 Мне показалось, что "Одноэтажная Америка" прямо в точку. As true now as it was then.
you're right, but I read it when I was a child/tweenager. I adored Ilf & Petrov and devoured anything by them I could get my hands on. I stumbled upon a very old copy of "Одноэтажная Америка" at the back of our 'family library' bookcase. It was missing the front cover and maybe a couple of pages, the other pages turned yellow and I remember seeing some weird letters in it (pre-printing reform typeface?), but it didn't matter at all. It was then when I realised how far behind my own country was.
P.S. Look what you've done to me :) I'm getting all nostalgic :)
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
Гликерия_
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 06 окт 2019, 17:10 На английский, кстати, переведена (Little Golden America).
Additional info: Written in 1928, it was translated into English by Charles Malamuth in 1936
https://litlife.club/books/241228/read?page=1
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
Yety
Easy-Breezy English

Juliemiracle пишет: 06 окт 2019, 17:35 It was then when I realised how far behind my own country was.
Really? Again, I had the opposite feeling, sort of. :-) How far ahead my country was.
The most amazing thing to me about this book is how little has changed. And it's been almost a century!
And also just how perceptive and gifted the writers were to be able to summarize the national character quite so succinctly.
Juliemiracle пишет: 06 окт 2019, 17:35 Look what you've done to me :) I'm getting all nostalgic :)
So, is it good or bad? :-) Покормим тамагочи и на дискач? LOL
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 06 окт 2019, 19:28 The most amazing thing to me about this book is how little has changed. And it's been almost a century!
And also just how perceptive and gifted the writers were to be able to summarize the national character quite so succinctly.
True :) The guys were genius.
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 06 окт 2019, 19:28 So, is it good or bad?
Both I guess :)
alex789
Благодарил (а): 368 раз

Сообщение alex789 »

Ladies and gentlemen, I wanted to apologize for being rude.
I'm a pretty positive and optimistic person and never wanted to make someone feel bad after reading my messages.
Yes, I used to believe that reading fiction equals wasting your time. On the other hand, most of the people leaving messages here are smarter and more educated than I am.
I realized I was wrong!

Реально, чего-то понаписывал ерунды. Поинт в том, что художественная литература (которой в детстве перечитался) не научила вставать с утра, планировать, быть позитивным и т.д. А вот книжечки о базовой психологии научили. Посему и придерживаюсь мнения о том, что надо читать не только для фана, но и для того, чтобы как-то менять свою жизнь в позитив.
Хотя чего плохого в том, чтобы получать наслаждение от чтения и попутно грейдить свой вокабуляр?
Осознал, исправился, почитаю какой-нибудь фикшн.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

alex789 пишет: 06 окт 2019, 20:26 Осознал, исправился, почитаю какой-нибудь фикшн.
То есть видеоревью нон-фикшна не ждать? :)
alex789 пишет: 06 окт 2019, 20:26 Хотя чего плохого в том, чтобы получать наслаждение от чтения и попутно грейдить свой вокабуляр?
Не вижу причин не читать и фикшн, и нон-фикшн. Можно даже параллельно. Я, например, сейчас читаю Freakonomics и American Gods. И то, и другое идет прекрасно.
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Eager Beaver пишет: 06 окт 2019, 20:44 Я, например, сейчас читаю Freakonomics
I've been meaning to read it for a long time. Maybe your post will encourage me to finally tackle it :)
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Juliemiracle пишет: 06 окт 2019, 20:49 I've been meaning to read it for a long time. Maybe your post will encourage me to finally tackle it :)
I was just reminded of it recently when someone quoted Mike from Suits:
СпойлерПоказать
TREVOR: Well, I have a client coming in from out of town and I can't meet him and I need someone I can trust to make the drop. It's totally safe.
MIKE: Trevor, a person is more likely to die while dealing drugs than they would be on death row. In Texas.
TREVOR: Wait, what are you talking about?
MIKE: It's from Freakonomics. Do you read anything that I give you?
Yet another reason to watch Suits again. :)
alex789
Благодарил (а): 368 раз

Сообщение alex789 »

Eager Beaver пишет: 06 окт 2019, 20:44То есть видеоревью нон-фикшна не ждать? :)
Да я не такой уж мастак в спикинге (а вернее, вовсе не мастак), чтобы впечатлять С2-шников своими видеоревью, но могу сделать :)
Я после того как прочитал ту тему, ага, ту самую, воспринимаю ваши посты, как бы так сказать... ну, есть тут Чайка такой, был вернее, тут он уже не Чайка. Мало активничает. Ну вот, типа Чайки. Так вон он бы только посмеялся, если бы я начал ему повествовать что-то о книге, которую прочитал :) Вы, наверное, тоже :)
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Freakonomics though good, is so yesterday.
Even Super Freakonomics is a decade old.

Both are must read anyway.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

tourist пишет: 06 окт 2019, 21:40 Freakonomics though good, is so yesterday.

Both are must read anyway.
What's on your reading list? I mean what current books have you read and enjoyed recently?
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

alex789 пишет: 06 окт 2019, 21:20 Я после того как прочитал ту тему, ага, ту самую, воспринимаю ваши посты, как бы так сказать... ну, есть тут Чайка такой, был вернее, тут он уже не Чайка. Мало активничает. Ну вот, типа Чайки. Так вон он бы только посмеялся, если бы я начал ему повествовать что-то о книге, которую прочитал :) Вы, наверное, тоже :)
Ну почему же? Во-первых, с writing и speaking мне еще работать и работать. Во-вторых, мне искренне интересны подобного рода активности, хотя сам я не уверен, что готов записывать и выкладывать свои видео. Даже аудио стремно выкладывать (выкладывал тут - потом переслушал через несколько дней и подумал, "какой позор, с этим можно только в комнате со 100%-ной звукоизоляцией рот на английском открывать" :)). Но такие мысли у меня приходят исключительно про свои записи, чужие скорее нравятся.
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

tourist пишет: 06 окт 2019, 21:40 Freakonomics though good, is so yesterday.
you're right, and yet, do books have use-by dates? :)
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Eager Beaver пишет: 06 окт 2019, 21:43 What's on your reading list? I mean what current books have you read and enjoyed recently?
Recently...
A couple of books by Nassim Taleb:
Black Swan; Skin in the Game
Not exactly page turners and, admittedly, not everyone's cup of tea.

The Bell Curve (rereading) by Charles Murray ... ditto.

Are You Smart Enough to Work at Google? by Poundston

I do read a lot but not necessarily in a book format.
More like all manner of articles,blogs, specialized forums,various discussions,
work related stuff.
I was also considering to read
12 rules for life by Jordan Peterson,
but I've seen enough of his videos to sort of have an idea about the book.
Something like that ..)

While we are at it ...
I would agree with alex789,regarding reading pure fiction.
Although reading fiction won't hurt,
I think this is not the best way to acquire vocabulary.
PavelTashkinov is the victim best example of such an attitude.)
I'll stop here.
We've got enough experts and even more "experts" on this board already. )

Juliemiracle,
no use-by dates of course,
but hey, aren't we all into healthy eating these days? )
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

tourist, thanks!
tourist пишет: 06 окт 2019, 23:10 A couple of books by Nassim Taleb:
Black Swan; Skin in the Game
I read Black Swan and Antifragile a few years ago.

Added the rest to my to-check-out list.
mustang
Благодарил (а): 926 раз

Сообщение mustang »

alex789 пишет: 05 окт 2019, 13:49 had better grab something like "21 Success Secrets of Self-Made Millionaires", or "Think and Grow Rich".
I know, bro, that you are coming from a good place – “save the world, make money, not war… ”but the very idea of making real money after reading books like that seems ridiculous to me. At best it might give you a nudge in the right direction – you may decide to be less pessimistic about your life, learn the basic rules of finance and force yourself to set aside a sizable portion of your monthly income for a rainy day, you know, just to be on the safe side. But beyond that there’s literally nothing that self-improvement books can really teach you about economics or financial markets.

For example, one day the typical reader of self-improvement literature might want to withdraw their meager savings from a bank account and put the money to work by reinvesting it in the NYSE. In a matter of months their entire investment gets wiped out and they have no money left. Who is to blame? Hedge fund managers, bad luck or the stock market that is rigged against the little man? No, the little guy should blame his misfortunes on books that inspire people but do not really give any guidelines on how markets work.

If you do not know how to read a company’s balance sheet/income statement/cash flow statement, have not the slightest idea how rising or falling interest rates affect the value of your investments (be it government treasuries or less liquid assets) and are not familiar with the fundamentals of quantitative analysis, how the hell are you going to make money? Reading “Think and grow rich’ won’t help you any.
Ответить