Моя авторская методика преподавания

Как начать изучать язык с нуля, какой метод изучения языка выбрать, получить рекомендации по самостоятельному изучению языка, обсудить другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

JamesTheBond
Благодарил (а): 600 раз

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 105. Частица on не только имеет значение соответствующее предлогу, но и выражает продолжение действия, дальнейшее движение. В большинстве случаев значение таких составных глаголов достаточно очевидно.

Примеры образованных от таких глаголов существительных и прилагательных:

carry-on переполох, суматоха; there was a great carry-on over the packing мы собирались в дорогу в такой суматохе;
hanger-on: the house is always full of her hangers-on дом вечно полон ее поклонника¬ми;
tie-on: a tie-on label привязная бирка, привязной ярлык;
try-on примерка.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 11:21, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
Причина: Исправил нумерацию
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 106. Частица off.

И теперь наречная частица off.

RUN OFF
1. To print, duplicate, or copy: ran off 200 copies of the report. 2. To run away; elope. 3. To flow off; drain away. 4. To decide (a contest or competition) by a runoff. 5. To force or drive off (trespassers, for example).
She ran off all the hot water она истратила всю горячую воду. Run me off a few copies of this text сделайте мне нёсколько копий этого текста. The heats are being run off tomorrow забеги будут проводиться завтра. He ran off with another woman он ушёл к другой женщине. Someone has run off with my papers кто-то взял мой бумаги. Letting your husband run off from home like that. You really think that you're going to go. . . running off to the Philippines. . . with that charming little Lorna. . .

TURN OFF
1. To stop the operation, activity, or flow of; shut off: turned off the television. 2. (Slang)a. To affect with dislike, displeasure, or revulsion: That song really turns me off. b. To affect with boredom: The play turned the audience off. c. To lose or cause to lose interest; withdraw: turning off to materialism. d. To cease paying attention to: The student turned off the boring lecture and daydreamed. 3. To divert; deflect.
We turned off the path мы свернули с тропинки. Where do we turn off for Bristol? где нам свернуть, чтобы доехать до Бристоля? Pull up and turn off your lights. Beth, why didn't you turn off the alarm? I said turn that off. I wanted to tell you that this machine turns itself off automatically.

WANDER OFF
(from someone or something)
To leave, depart, or stray (from someone or something) in a meandering, ambling manner. I thought the kid was still right next to me, but he must have wandered off while I wasn't looking. We started getting bored, so we wandered off from the hotel to see if anything interesting was happening in the city. It's really easy to get lost in this town, so please don't wander off on your own!
He wandered off towards the village он побрёл к деревне. Where have the children wandered off to? куда дети забрели? Oh, I've wandered off again, didn't I? Forgive me for wandering off.

FALL OFF
1. To become less; decrease: Stock prices have fallen off. The number of staff meetings fell off after a few months. 2. To lose weight. Used of livestock: Toward the end of the dry season, the cattle fall off rapidly.
Once he was so sure his head was about to fall off that he held on to it with his left hand and he conducted with his right. We supposed that the Commodore had died on his boat or fell off of it.

GET OFF
1. To start, as on a trip; leave. 2. To fire (a round of ammunition, for example): got off two shots before the deer disappeared. 3. To write and send, as a letter. 4. To escape, as from punishment or danger: got off scot-free. 5. To obtain a release or lesser penalty for: The attorney got her client off with a slap on the wrist. 6. To get permission to leave one's workplace: got off early and went fishing. 7. Informal To act or speak with effrontery: Where does he get off telling me to hurry up? 8. (Slang) a. To have an orgasm. b. To feel great pleasure or gratification: gets off on gossiping about coworkers. c. To experience euphoria, for example, as a result of taking a drug.
I remember Claire trying to get that ring off at a party once. Gee, I didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot with her. Let's get this off. You sure got them off fast.

GO OFF
1. To undergo detonation; explode. 2. To make a noise; sound: The siren went off at noon. 3. To leave: Don't go off mad. 4. Chiefly British To stop consuming or liking: The dog has gone off his food. 5. Informal To adhere to the expected course of events or the expected plan: The project went off smoothly. 6. (Chiefly British) To become spoiled or rancid: The orange juice has gone off.
Don't go off. I don't understand why the burglar alarm didn't go off. They go off with the heat of your hand. And he goes off at 1:00? That's strange, her going off. Well, the TV there went off for a minute.

KEEP OFF
To stay away from.
The rain kept off till evening дождь пошел только вечером. I want to keep working, keep my mind off. .

DRIVE OFF
1. To leave some place by driving; to drive away. Once my parents had driven off, I called all of my friends and invited them over. 2. To force or entice someone or something to leave some place. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "drive" and "off. "What can we do to drive these troublesome raccoons off our property?I'll drive off those ruffians, don't you worry. 3. To hit a golf ball off of something, typically a tee. Yeah, but I can hit it farther than you if I drive off the tee.
to drive off an attack/the enemy отбывать атаку/ противника. to drive off wolves отгонять волков. They were driven off in a large car их увезли в большой машине. He drove off a moment ago он только что уехал. He has just driven off to the concert он поехал на концерт. He drove off to Scotland yesterday вчера он уехал в Шотландию. Somebody has driven off with the car (stolen it) кто-то угнал машину. He drove off home at a good lick он покатил домой.
People always drive off with our trays. He was in the building about 15 minutes, then he drove off.

DROP OFF
1. To fall asleep. 2. To decrease: Sales dropped off in the fourth quarter.
to drop smb off (when driving) высаживать кого-л. I'll drop off at the corner (out of a car) я выйду на этом углу. Attendance dropp off посещаемость упала. The child dropped off (to sleep) very quickly ребенок мгновенно заснул. The old man dropped off in his chair старик задремал в кресле.
Before I dropped it off at his wife's house, I stopped by to see my brother-in-law. I drove her downtown, dropped her off. I'm sure dropping it off will take you out of your way.

COME OFF
1. To happen; occur: The trip came off on schedule. 2. To acquit oneself: She is sure to come off badly if challenged to explain. 3. To turn out to be successful: a party that came off.
Come off it, Norman. They come off old time ships. But when we saw the car the morning we found the body it looked like it just came off a showroom floor.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 11:25, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 107. Частица off (продолжение).

И еще одна "порция" с off.

BLOW OFF
1. To relieve or release (pressure); let off. 2. (Slang) To choose not to attend or accompany: They wanted us to come along, but we blew them off.
to blow off steam выпускать пар, разрядиться. He blew off when he heard about it услышав это, он пришел в ярость и стал орать. Does he blow off a lot of steam?

BRING OFF
To accomplish: bring off a successful advertising campaign.
They brought all the passengers off safely пассажиры были благополучно сняты с корабля. We brought off the deal мы достигли соглашения. bring off a manoeuvre успешно завершать операцию.
He was the gaff in the head act, and he always brought it off very smooth, very smart.

BREAK OFF
1. To separate or become separated, as by twisting or tearing. 2. To stop suddenly, as in speaking. 3. To discontinue (a relationship). To cease to be friendly.
to break off a branch/a flower сломать ветку, сорвать цветок. He broke off the handle of the cup/a piece of chocolate он отбил ручку у чашки, он отломил кусочек шоколада. She's /they've broken off her/their engagement она порвала с ним, их помолвка расстроилась. to break off talks/ relations with прервать/свернуть переговоры, прервать отношения с. to break off а conversation/work прервать беседу/ работу. Our call was broken off нас прервали. break off a battle выходить из боя. A leg of the chair broke off у стула отломилась ножка. She broke off immediately he came in как только он вошел, она прикусила язык. But she could never break off with him. She broke it off.

BRUSH OFF
to dismiss and ignore (a person), esp curtly
to brush smth off a table (accidentally) смахивать что-л со стола. to brush fluff off one's sleeve/crumbs off the table стряхнуть пушинку с рукава, сметать крошки со стола. The mud will brush off easily when it's dry грязь легко отчистить, когда она высохнет.
He must have had particles of grass on his shoes but they were probably brushed off on the carpet and, unfortunately, the room's been cleaned.

CUT OFF
1. To separate from others; isolate. 2. To stop suddenly; discontinue. 3. To shut off; bar. 4. To interrupt the course or passage of: The infielder cut off the throw to the plate. 5. To interrupt or break the line of communication of: The telephone operator cut us off. 6. To disinherit: cut their heirs off without a cent.
to cut off 3 metres of material for a dress отрезать три метра материи/ткани на платье. to cut off a bough/a chicken's head обрубить сук, отрезать голову цыпленку. to cut off dead flowers обрезать/срезать завядшие цветы. to cut the rind off cheese срезать корку с сыра. to cut off smb's retreat отрезать кому-л путь к отступлению. The town is cut off by floods город отрезан от мира наводнением. to cut off the enemy/the enemy's supplies перерезать врагу путь/линию снабжения врага. My father has cut off my dress allowance отец перестал давать мне деньги на одежду. to cut smb off with a shilling лишить кого-л наследства. We've been cut off нас разъединили. to cut off the gas отключить газ. Can't you cut that camera off me the minute I finish talking, please? Her husband had cut off her funds. One more little drama, and I won't just cut off your allowance, I'll tie up your estate.

KNOCK OFF
1. a. To take a break or rest from; stop: knocked off work at noon. b. To cease work: It's after five; let's knock off. 2. Informal To complete, accomplish, or dispose of hastily or easily; finish: That author knocks off a book a year. 3. Informal To get rid of; eliminate: knocked off 12 pounds in a month. 4. (Slang) To kill or overcome. 5. Slang To hold up or rob: knocked off a bank. 6. (Informal) To copy or imitate, especially without permission: knocking off someone else's ideas.
I knocked the vase off the shelf я уронил вазу с пoлки. She knocked 20p off the price она сбавила/уступила двадцать пенсов. I want to knock this article off by 6 o'clock я хочу закончить эту статью к шести часам. They knocked off early они кончили работу рано. Let's knock off for half an hour/for today давайте устроим перерыв на полчаса, давайте на этом сегодня закончим. I've told you, knock off that stuff. My coat must have knocked it off. Now, it must've been knocked off of something.

PULL OFF
To accomplish in spite of difficulties or obstacles; bring off: pulled off a last-minute victory.
to pull off one's clothes/ shoes стягивать с себя одежду/ботинки. We've pulled it off нам это удалось. I doubt very much if a robber in a hurry, on the edge of panic, is gonna take the time to pull the ring off of Claire's finger.

PUSH OFF
To set out; depart: The infantry patrol pushed off before dawn.
to push a boat off отталкивать лодку (от берега); push off! убирайся! I can push her off until Tuesday.

PUT OFF
1. a. To delay; postpone: put off paying the bills. b. To persuade to delay further action: managed to put off the creditors for another week. 2. To take off; discard: put off a sweater. 3. To repel or repulse, as from bad manners: His indifferent attitude has put us off. 4. To pass (money) or sell (merchandise) fraudulently.
The match has been put off till Tuesday матч отложили на вторник. He wants to put off paying me till next week он попросил меня подождать с деньгами до следующей недели. Unfortunately I'll have to put you off к сожалению, я не могу вас принять. He always puts me off with promises он вечно кормит меня обещаниями. Stop watching me, you're putting me off не смотри на меня, ты меня смущаешь. Don't be put off by his manner пусть вас не смущают его манеры. I tried to put him off the idea я всячески старался отвлечь его от этой мысли. His manner puts me off мне неприятна его манера вести себя. they put off in small boats to meet the arriving ship. Can you call Charlie and put him off till tomorrow? It seems the old boy had been putting it off for a while. I don't like getting ripped off for something I didn't do.

RUB OFF
1. to remove or be removed by rubbing. 2. (intr; often foll by on or onto) to have an effect through close association or contact, esp so as to make similar: her crude manners have rubbed off on you.
Some of his opinions rubbed off on her она восприняла некоторые его взгляды. Yes, but I'll- I'll rub it off for you.

SHUT OFF
1. To stop the flow or passage of; cut off: shut off the hot water by closing a valve. 2. To close off; isolate: loners who shut themselves off from the community.
When he fell, machine just shut off. Would you shut off your engine?

TAKE OFF
1. To remove, as clothing: take one's coat off; take off one's shoes. 2. To release: took the brake off.
3. To deduct as a discount: took 20 percent off. 4. To discontinue: took off the commuter special. 5. To spend (time) away from work or an activity: I'm taking off three days in May. I took last week off and now I have a lot of work to do. 6. To go or leave: took off in pursuit of the robber. To rise into the air or begin flight: The plane took off on time. To achieve success or popularity: a new movie that really took off.

to take off one's hat/shoes/clothes снять шляпу/ботинки, раздаваться. (to guest on arrival) Won't you take off your coat/things? раздевайтесь, пожалуйста. The builders/ the wind took the roof off строители сняли крышу, ветром снесло крышу. The play/that train has been taken off эту пьесу сняли с репертуара, этот поезд снят с расписания. I took a few days off я несколько дней не выходил на работу. He has to take off 10 kilos ему надо сбросить десять килограммов. He has taken the children off to the zoo он повел /повез/ отвез детей в зоопарк. They took him off to prison его забрали в тюрьму. He took himself off in a huff он в негодовании удалился. He takes off his professor to perfection он так похоже изображает профессора. I grabbed my case and took off for the airport я схватил чемодан и помчался в аэропорт. Oh, good, take off your raincoat, dressing room over there, and take off your clothes, please. He was the one that asked her to take it off. If I put them all on the scale and then take them off one by one. And it seems funny to me that a man would take off his shoes. . . without untying the laces.

THROW OFF
1. To cast out; rid oneself of: threw off all unpleasant memories. 2. To give off; emit: exhaust pipes throwing off fumes. 3. To distract, divert, or mislead: Crossing the stream, he threw the tracking dogs off. A wrong measurement threw her estimate off. 4. To do, finish, or accomplish in a casual or offhand way; toss off: threw off a quick response to the letter.
to throw off one's clothes/the blanket сбросить с себя одежду/одеяло. to throw off smb's influence/an illness избавиться от чьего-л влияния/от болезни. He'd wake up in the night with ideas, always throwing off sparks. A man like that throws off sparks and never slows down. Look how that throws us off.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 11:26, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 108. Частица off (продолжение).

И последний "кусочек" с off.

BUY OFF
To bribe (an official, for example) in order to secure improper cooperation or gain exemption from a regulation or legal consequence.
He bought off his business rival он подкупил конкурента/ он заплатил конкуренту отступные. He noticed you planting those bugs - and he bought you off.

CALL OFF
1. To cancel or postpone: call off a trip; called the trip off. 2. To restrain or recall: Call off your dogs.
Call off your dog! отзови свою собаку! (cancel) to call off a deal (before completion) отказываться от сделки, (when made) расторгать контракт. The strike was called off забастовка была отменена/ (if already begun) прекращена. The search was called off поиски были прекращены. Let's call it off. To call off a meeting in Montreal.

KILL OFF
To destroy in large numbers, often to the point of extinction.
The trees were killed off by the severe winter деревья полностью погибли этой суровой зимой. For $100,000, you don't kill off Rock Hudson. The only trouble with that was that Allen was planning to kill the hero off in the final pages. Universal said, for $100,000, you don't kill off Rock Hudson.

PAY OFF
1. To pay the full amount on (a debt). 2. To result in profit or advantage; succeed: Your efforts will eventually pay off. 3. To pay the wages due to (an employee) upon discharge. 4. To pay (a plaintiff) to settle a lawsuit out of court. 5. To bribe.
to pay off a debt выплатить долг. We're still paying off the mortgage мы все еще выплачиваем ссуду. All the workmen were paid off все рабочие получили расчет. to pay off old scores расплачиваться по старым счетам. The investment paid off капиталовложения окупились. The trouble we took paid off наши труды не прошли даром. All the work we put into it really paid off. I suppose you do it the same way we do it - you listen to an informant, pay off a servant, get next to an employee. Just pay everybody off up to date.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 11:27, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 109. Частица off (продолжение).

И в завершение глаголов с off как пример для разборчика возьмем run off:

1. To print, duplicate, or copy: ran off 200 copies of the report.
2. To run away; elope.
3. To flow off; drain away.
4. To decide (a contest or competition) by a runoff.
5. To force or drive off (trespassers, for example).

Run off: make photocopies – could you run off two hundred copies of this report, please.

She ran off all the hot water она истратила всю горячую воду.
Run me off a few copies of this text сделайте мне нёсколько копий этого текста.
The heats are being run off tomorrow забеги будут проводиться завтра.
He ran off with another woman он ушёл к другой женщине.
Someone has run off with my papers кто-то взял мой бумаги.
(1) Основное значение, разумеется, буквальное – убегать.
(2) Как переходный глагол – отгонять кого-либо: The sheriff ran the outlaws off back in January, but it looks like they're back again
(3) Тоже как переходный – спускать воду ("давать ей убежать")
(4) И, наконец, идиоматическое – делать копии на принтере и т.п.

----

И некоторые встречающиеся сочетания с off:
blast-off: взлет, старт (космического корабля, ракеты)
brush-off: she gave him the brush-off он получил у нее отставку.
lay-off сокращение кадров.
put-off уловка, отговорка.
payoff: we made a lot of improvements and are already beginning to see the payoff мы ввели некоторые усовершенствования, и уже видны результаты.
send-off: we gave him a terrific send-off мы устроили ему пышные проводы.
show-off позер, хвастун.
takeoff 1 подражание, пародия; 2 (of aircraft or fig) взлет.
telling-off: he gave me a telling-off я получил от него нагоняй.
write-off списанный товар: his car was a complete write-off after the accident после аварии его машина годилась только на слом.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 11:30, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 110. Частница away

Теперь пара away/back и начну с away:

CARRY AWAY
To move or excite greatly: was carried away by desire.
The mast was carried away by the gale ветром снесло мачту. He was carried away by/with their enthusiasm ему передалось их восторженное настроение.

Jennifer tends to get carried away. I guess I did get carried away by those questions. She likes to have a good time, sometimes she gets carried away. I'm sorry, I got carried away.

GET AWAY
1. To break free; escape. 2. To leave or go away: wanted to come along, but couldn't get away.
I want to get my mother away for a holiday я хочу увезти маму отдохнуть. I got away early from work я рано ушел с работы. The bird/fish/prisoner got away птица улетела, рыба сорвалась с крючка, пленнику удалось бежать. I want to get away from it all я хочу порвать со всем этим. You can't get away from the fact that... никуда не денешься от того факта, что.... Get away, you're just flattering me ну что вы, это вы мне просто льстите. This is one of those days, and I want to get away from here. You came down here to get away from things and I'm just takin' up your time. You can be my business manager and my lawyer if you can get her copy of the will away from that girl. I couldn't get away from the curb.

GET AWAY WITH
1. To avoid the consequences of one's actions. You'll never get away with cheating—one of your teachers is bound to figure it out.You got lucky when you ran that red light. Next time you might not get away with it. 2. To leave or flee with or something. The robbers got away with the TV but not much else.
The thieves got away with £1,000,000 воры скры¬лись, прихватив с собой миллион фунтов. He got away with it это ему сошло с рук, он вышел сухим из воды. You'll never get away with it тебе это даром не пройдет. They won't get away with this, Loomis. You'll never get away with it. You're not going to get away with it. And, Mr. Clay, the night he got away with it, it was dark.

GO AWAY
1. To leave or depart. I only went away for a few minutes—how did I miss that key detail in the episode? 2. To leave in order to retrieve something. Did Dad go away for the take-out yet? I want to order something else. 3. To travel or take a trip. We should go away this summer, maybe to Aruba. 4. To stop affecting someone. It took weeks, but my nasty cough has finally gone away. 5. To leave someone alone; to stop bothering someone. In this usage, the phrase is often used as an imperative. Go away, Timmy, you're annoying us!I told my little brother to go away, but he keeps coming back and bugging us!
Don't go away. Go away somewhere, get to know each other. I'm not going away for long.

MOVE AWAY
To relocate to another residence far away from where one currently lives. Michael was one of my very best friends until he moved away when we were in fifth grade.I was the only one of my siblings to move away after finishing high school.
The troops moved away yesterday войска вчера отступили. They moved away from here long ago они очень давно уехали отсюда. Shall we move away from the madding crowd and talk in a little more peace and quiet? He moved away from the window. But the family moved away... and now the dog, he won't eat, he won't sleep.

PASS AWAY
1. To pass out of existence; end. 2. To die.
Well, you know, I did wanna tell you, they've definitely established that your uncle passed away from an electrical shock.

STAY AWAY
stay clear of, avoid.
He stayed away in protest он демонстративно отсутствовал. Tell them all to stay away скажи им, чтобы никто не приходил. He often stays away from school/rehearsals он часто пропускает школу/репетиции. I told you to stay away from her! All right, Harry, I will leave for now, but I won't stay away unless Nelson tells me to. Just keep to yourself and stay away from the press people. We've lowered our so-called standards, and still they stay away.

KEEP AWAY
1. to refrain or prevent from coming (near) 2. to stop using, touching, etc
Keep the children away from the fire не подпускайте детей к огню. I'm keeping well away from him я держусь от него подальше. I've been told to stand out here and keep people away from the door. I keep the tourists away. And as the gun went off I managed to knock it away.

RUN AWAY
To flee or escape (from someone or something). When I was a teenager, I ran away from home at one point and lived on the streets for nearly a month.I can't find my dog. I hope he didn't run away.The soldier was court-martialed for running away during the skirmish.
She ran away from school/with her lover она убежала из школы/с возлюбленным. Don't run away from difficulties не бойся трудностей. Well, some of my associates think that your wife was mugged and the fella ran away with the money. When kids let air out of a tyre, they just loosen it and run away.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 11:32, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 111. Частница away (продолжение)

И вторая порция c away.

FIRE AWAY
To start to talk or ask questions.
fire away! валяй!, выкладывай! / (begin) начинайте!, давайте!

GIVE AWAY
1. To offer or provide at no cost to the recipient: The radio station gave away six tickets to the rock concert. I bought my toddler a small bed and gave her crib away. 2. To reveal or make known: I avoid movie reviews that gives away plot twists. I stopped reading the book when my friend gave the ending away. 3. To betray.
to give away free samples раздавать образцы. I'm not selling it. I'm giving it away я не про¬даю, а просто отдаю; [am] (betray) выдавать. to give away smb/a secret выдать кого-л/секрет. His face gave nothing away его лицо ничего не выда¬вало. I probably shouldn't mention this because it'll give away secrets that were long kept in television, we have a device, you know, in television, where you can also look out. He decided to give them all away - to schools, museums... I can't give anything away. No, it's not that I want you to give away any professional secrets, sir. Anything like stolen boxes, boxes given away.

PUT AWAY
1. To renounce; discard: put all negative thoughts away. 2. Informal To consume (food or drink) readily and quickly: put away the dinner in just a few minutes. 3. Informal To confine to a prison or mental health facility. 4. a. Informal To kill: The injured cat was put away. b. To bury.
Put your toys away in the cupboard убери игрушки в шкаф. Put the matches away out of reach of the children спрячь спички подальше от детей. I'll just put the car away я только поставлю машину. I've had to put away all thoughts of an American trip мне пришлось отказаться от мысли поехать в Америку. H e could put away four steaks at one sitting он мог съесть четыре бифштекса за один присест. Because we're going to put the thief away. Now, put that away. You put that away.

TAKE AWAY
to deduct; subtract: take away four from nine to leave five.
I took the dirty plates away я убрал/унес грязные тарелки. They took her away from school они забрали ее из школы; they took him away его увели/увезли. "Not to be taken away" (of library books) «He выносить из зала». Does this restaurant sell food to take away? в этом ресторане дают обеды на дом? to take away smb's pension лишить кого-л пенсии. They have taken away my pass они отобрали у меня пропуск. It took away all my pleasure это испортило мне все удовольствие. The tablets took away the pain таблетки сняли боль. It took my breath away от этого у меня дух захватило. (Math) take away 3 from 5 от пяти отнять три, из пяти вычесть три. That doesn't take away from his merit это не умаляет его достоинств. He wanted to take away the only thing you ever loved. I've spent 20 years building up my business... and no smart little broad from Pittsburgh is gonna take it away from me. Oh, Lieutenant, I'd hate to take you away from your other duties. Take her away from the house, give her a change of thoughts. Like that car that was tearing away after the fire.

THROW AWAY
1. To get rid of as useless: threw away yesterday's newspaper. (Games) To discard: threw away two aces. 2. To fail to take advantage of: threw away a chance to make a fortune. To waste or use in a foolish way: threw away her inheritance. 3. To utter or perform in an offhand, seemingly careless way: The play's villain throws away the news that the house has burned down.
You are throwing yourself away if you marry him ты загубишь свою жизнь, если выйдешь за него. to throw away an opportunity упускать возможность. By the way, sir, why do you think he put the gun back and threw away everything else? If you don't like it, you throw it away. It must be killing you to throw all this stuff away. Strange that Mr. Deschler would take this picture and throw it away.

WASH AWAY
1. To be removed or carried away by a moving body of water. Half the town washed away during the floods.Jonathan forgot to moor the boat properly, and it washed away when the tide went out. 2. To carry or remove by lifting or pushing it with the force of moving water. A noun or pronoun can be used between "wash" and "away. "Heavy rains have been washing away the top soil for farmers across the country. He began spraying the driveway with a hose to wash the dirt away. The flash flood washed the entire group of hikers away. 3. To drift or fade away. Said especially of negative emotions or memories. Being with you now makes all those years of regret just wash away.You might need to seek help if the only thing to help your sorrow wash away is alcohol. 4. To remove, assuage, or atone for some negative feeling, memory, or experience. A noun or pronoun can be used between "wash" and "away." He's been trying to wash away his guilt for exploiting his stabbing partners in the back by making huge contributions to various charities.Only time can wash this kind of grief away.
The road has been washed away дорогу размыло. The rain washed the snow away весь снег после дождя сошёл. I thought the place was gonna wash away. Ignatius, offering him hope and a chance to wash away the wounds of war that had brutalized him.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 11:33, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 112. Частница away (продолжение)

Смысл составных глаголов с away обычно достаточно очевиден (можно выделить get away with).

И небольшой списочек встречающихся слов, образованных от таких глаголов:

break-away откол, отделение.
getaway: he made a successful getaway ему удалось бежать/уйти.
give-away 1 разглашение; 2 подарок.
give-away даровой
takeaway отпускаемый на дом (о готовых блюдах)
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 11:38, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 113. частица back

"Парой" для частицы away является частица back:

COME BACK
1. To return to someone or something (often a place or situation). We're coming back from our vacation on Tuesday. Our dog Sparky was missing for days, but he came back home last night, thank goodness. I'd like to come back to a point you made earlier. 2. verb A call for someone or an animal to return to one. Sparky, come back!3. To return to one's memory. The name of the song will come back to me, just give me a minute. OK, it's all coming back to me now—you were sitting over there, and you definitely asked that question. 4. To reply to something, often in a snarky or irritable way. I don't like Mary that much. Whenever I talk to her, she always manages to come back with something insulting. When you asked him about tomorrow's meeting, what did he come back with?5. To return to a former state of functionality, popularity, success, etc. Oh, that's a career-ending knee injury for sure—there's no way he's coming back from that. I bought bell-bottoms because '70s fashions are coming back in style. 6. To overcome a deficit in a sport, game, or contest. After being down five goals, they came back and tied the game.
It will come back to me soon я очень скоро это вспомню. Could we come back to this tomorrow? Come back at one o'clock. Listen, I can come back another time. Why don't I come back another time? Beau came back and he saw the plans. That's why I came back from Washington.

DRIVE BACK
1. To return to some place by driving. It only took us an hour to get here, but with all of this traffic, how long will it take us to drive back?Hey, will any of you guys be driving back to campus soon?2. To transport someone or something back to some place in a vehicle. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "drive" and "back. "Can any of you guys drive me back to campus soon?3. To force someone or something to move away from someone or something else. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "drive" and "back. "The ringmaster used a whip to drive the lion back. This tactic should help us to drive back the enemy troops.
to drive back a crowd/the enemy оттеснять / разгонять толпу/ отбрасывать противника. I drove them back to town я отвез их обратно в город. We were driven back on our own resources мы должны были обходиться своими средствами. If you'd kindly drive me back to my hotel. Driving back from San Diego on the day of the murder instead of taking a plane, the open mail, never showing emotion for a man you worked with for ten years. I figured you and I would be driving back together. You afraid I'd fall back asleep?

GET BACK
1. To move away (from someone or something). Often used as an imperative. Tom, get back! That thing is dangerous!2. To return (to some previous location). Often followed by "to. "When I get back, you and I are going to have a long conversation about what just happened. I think the boss gets back to the office on Tuesday. 3. To retrieve someone or something (from someone or some place). In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "get" and "back. "My mom wants me to get back the watch I traded at school for a stack of rare trading cards. He drove to the summer camp in the mountains to get his daughter back after she came down with severe food poisoning. 4. To repair one's friendship or romantic relationship with someone. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "get" and "back. "I just want to get my friend back. He hasn't spoken to me ever since our horrible fight. A: "Where are you going?" B: "To Dallas, to get back my girlfriend!"5. To punish or exact revenge on one in retribution for a past wrong. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "get" and "back. "I thought I was being pretty funny by making those sarcastic remarks during the meeting, but the boss got me back by doubling my workload that week. After spending the summer lifting weights, I'll be ready to get those kids back who bullied me at school.
I got my books back from him он мне отдал/вернул книги. I got my shoes back from mending я получил туфли из ремонта/из починки. to get one's own back (on smb) взять реванш, рассчитаться с кем-л. I'd better get back. Listen, I'm going to get back to my game. Let's get back to earth. But when I get back from Portland tomorrow afternoon, you and I are gonna take that vacation to Hawaii. He just got back to his apartment at two o'clock. . .

GO BACK
1. To return to some place or thing. I can't believe you're going back to school after all these years. 2. To retreat, thus undoing one's prior forward progress. No, we never reached our destination—we had to go back because the storm was so bad. 3. To revert to a particular state or role. I don't want to go back to getting coffee for people—I want an actual job as a screenwriter. 4. To stretch back or extend to a particular point in time or space. How far back in our lineage does this illness go?I can't see how far back this closet goes, but it seems pretty small. 5. To have known someone for a particular period of time. Those two go back 50 years—they've known each other since elementary school. 6. To have existed for a particular period of time. This product is not new—it goes back to the 1800s.
These buildings go back to the time of Peter the Great эти постройки относятся ко времени Петра Первого. Now, go back to your desk! We go back ten years, Lieutenant. Better go back to the lady in red. Can we go back to town? I think you should go back to school this weekend. I went back to the office one night.

GO BACK ON
Break a promise. The government have gone back on their promise not to raise
to go back on one's word отступаться от своих слов.

STAND BACK
To remain in or move to a position away from something, especially if it is dangerous. Please stand back from that television—you'll hurt your eyes being so close to it. Police officers are urging onlookers to stand back as animal control attempts to sedate the mountain lion.
Stand back or you'll be crushed посторонись, а то задавят. Stand back from the barrier отойди от барьера. You need to stand well back to see the picture на эту картину лучше смотреть, немного отступя. And when people like that let go, stand back. I think everybody should stand back for a moment.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 11:39, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 114. Частица back (продолжение)

И вторая "порция" с back.

BRING BACK
1. To cause something to regain its former popularity. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "bring" and "back. "Yeah, let's not bring back the leisure suit—it's not a good look for anyone. Several new artists seem to be bringing '80s pop back. 2. To return an item to its owner or to its original place. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "bring" and "back. "You can borrow my textbook, but please bring it back tomorrow so I can study for the test. I need to bring back these books to the library by Thursday. 3. To bring someone to a particular place or person. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "bring" and "back. "I'm taking my niece to the zoo tomorrow afternoon and then bringing her back to her dad's house afterward. You should bring back Dana to our house after your meeting, I want to talk to her. 4. To induce memories of one's past. That song brings back such fond memories of my childhood. 5. To reanimate a person or animal that has died. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "bring" and "back. "I would give anything to bring my father back—he died far too young. Do you think we'll ever bring back the woolly mammoth?
Don't forget to bring it/the knife back не забудь это вернуть/принести нож обратно. to bring back capital punishment снова ввести смертную казнь. The snapshot brought back to me my childhood этот снимок напомнил мне мое детство. Because he sure didn't bring them back to the bandstand. I'll bring it back. That'll just bring back bad memories. Well, when we dropped him off, he asked me to bring this back.

CALL BACK
1. To call (someone or some place) on the telephone again, usually after failing to reach the desired person the first time. A noun or pronoun can be used between "call" and "back. "I didn't get an answer, so I'll trying calling back tomorrow. I have to call the passport office back in about an hour because everyone was out to lunch. 2. To return someone's or some organization's telephone call. A noun or pronoun is be used between "call" and "back. "I saw I missed a call from my mother, so I need to call her back once we're finished eating. We are unable to answer the telephone right now, so please leave a message with your name and number, and we will call you back as soon as possible. 3. To instruct someone to return to a particular place or situation. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is typically used between "call" and "back. "As I walked to my car, my mom called me back to retrieve a textbook I'd almost forgotten. 4. To recall a defective item. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "call" and "back. "If that part does in fact cause engines to overheat, then we have no choice but to call it back.
She called me back она позвала меня обратно. I'll call back tomorrow я зайду/заеду завтра еще раз. I'll call back later я (вам) позже позвоню. Call him back for me, will you? I'll call back. I'll have him call back later. So, after you've talked to him, call me back at the cabin, will you, and let me know what he decided.

CHECK BACK
To ask about someone or something again later; follow up. I don't have an update on that shipment right now, but check back later.
All right, you fellows check back in there. Well, I would have to check back.
CHECK BACK (with someone) to inquire of someone again at a later time. Please check back with me later.
CHECK BACK (on someone or something) to look into the state of someone or something again at a later time. I'll have to check back on you later.

GIVE BACK
1. To return or restore something to someone or something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "give" and "back. "Give me back my sweater, you brat!Did I ever give you your pen back? [/i] 2. To act in a charitable manner, often by donating money or volunteering. I like to give back to my community by working with other volunteers to clean up our local parks.
Give me back my records отдай/верни мне мой пластинки. It gave him back his confi¬dence это вернуло ему уверенность в себе. Give them back. He gave me nothing back. I gave him back his coins, and he got his cigarettes and he took off.

PUT BACK
1. To return something to the position from which it was taken: No, you may not eat another cookie, so put it back! I put back the books I'd taken from the shelf. 2. To drink completely: I put back four bottles of beer with dinner. 3. To reschedule something to an earlier time: They put the meeting back from 3:00 to noon. Let's put back the date a few weeks. 4. To cause someone or something to be delayed: We hoped to start painting the house this week, but the bad weather put us back several days. The lack of funds put back the project a few months. 5. To cause someone or something to be offended. Used chiefly in the passive: I was put back by their uncaring remarks.
Put the book back where you found it/in the cupboard положи книгу туда, где ты ее взял/обратно в шкаф. (retard) The meeting was put back for a week заседание отложили на неделю. The puncture put us back a whole hour прокол задержал нас на целый час. to put the clock back an hour перевести часы на час назад. One can't put the clock back время нельзя повернуть назад. By the way, sir, why do you think he put the gun back and threw away everything else? Let me put this back. Will they laugh at the fact that you withdrew $15,000, put it back the next day? You're suggesting that the paper was typed, taken out and then put back.

ROLL BACK
To reduce, limit, decrease, or devalue something, or reset something to a previous level or status. "The new administration has been slowly rolling back regulatory legislation. If you roll your prices back, it will be much harder to raise them again without a lot of customer complaints. 2.
To return something to someone by rotating it, as with a wheel or a ball, or moving it back on wheels. I intercepted the ball and rolled it back. Jane rolled back the ball.

We rolled the carpet/armchair back мы отвернули ковёр, мы откатили кресло. to roll one's sleeves back/up завернуть рукава.You rolled the paper back in wrong after you took it out.

SET BACK
1. To cost someone a specific amount of money. Getting the car fixed is going to set me back nearly a grand. It's estimated the failed product set the company back roughly $2 million. Wow, how much did those shoes set you back? 2. To delay someone for a specific amount of time. That computer virus wiped out our data and set us back nearly a month in our work. He was supposed to arrive by 9, but the traffic jam set him back about an hour. 3. To delay or hinder something. A series of conflicts within the administration has set healthcare reform back yet again. 4. To cause someone or something to be positioned some distance behind or away (from someone or something else). We made sure to set the audience back from the main stage by 10 feet or so to prevent anyone from trying to clamber on during the performance. You'll want to set this statue back a bit, or it will block your view of the courtyard. 5. To position something within a recessed area (of something). The bus stop bench was set back in the wall along the sidewalk so that it wouldn't get in the way of pedestrians.
The shed is set back from the road сарай стоит в стороне от дороги. Set your watches back one hour переведите часы на час назад. Material shortages set back the building programme из-за нехватки материалов задержалось строительство. The dinner set me back £10 обед мне обошелся в десять фунтов. Dashboard clock set back to 12:18. That must have set you back a few dollars.

TAKE BACK
1. To take possession of something one had previously given, lent, or lost possession of to someone else. A noun or pronoun can be used between "take" and "back. "I want to take back my video game from Jerry so I can play it over the weekend. This bank foreclosed on me illegally. The way I see it, this is just taking my own money back. 2. To return something one has purchased for a refund. A noun or pronoun can be used between "take" and "back. "I need to take back this blender—it doesn't work when I plug it in. You can take anything you've purchased back to us within 14 days, so long as it is still unopened in its original packaging. 3. To retract or rescind something one has said. A noun or pronoun can be used between "take" and "back. "If you don't take that back, I'm telling Mom!The senator quickly took back his statement, claiming he had gotten confused on the issue. 4. To transport one mentally or emotionally to a time in the past. A noun or pronoun is used between "take" and "back. "Wow, hearing that song again really takes me back to my college days! 5. To accept someone back into one's life to resume a romantic relationship. A noun or pronoun can be used between "take" and "back. "I can't believe you took her back after you caught her cheating on you!Gina is going to take back Benny again, I just know it.
to take back books to the library вернуть/отнести книги в библиотеку. Take the tray back to the kitchen отнеси поднос (обратно) в кухню. He was taken back to his cell/home in a taxi его увели (нaзад) в камеру, его отвезли домой в такси. It takes me back to my childhood это мне напоминает детство. The salesman took back the faulty goods продавец взял обратно бракованный товар. I take back what I said беру свой слова назад. He just gave me this list, to take back to the hotel to get some medications from his room. I'll take it back to her. I'm going to put them in my car and take them back with me.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 11:41, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 115. Частица back (продолжение)

И с наречной частицей back можно сказать, что большинство составных глаголов с ней имеют значения, достаточно легко понимаемые из ее смысла, а из популярных таких сочетаний можно выделить разве что:

comeback: the filmstar made an unexpected comeback кинозвезда неожиданно снова вернулась в кино; he made a witty comeback он остроумно отпарировал.

Итак, "основных" таких частиц – восемь: up/down, in/out, on/off, away/back (в своих базовых значениях они передают движение вверх/вниз, внутрь/из, вперед/в сторону и к/от).
Осталась еще пара-тройка реже употребляемых частиц и я потом напишу, что, с моей точки зрения, с этим материалом надо делать и почему я посвятил ему столько места.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 16:58, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 116. частица along

И сочетания с along сложности не представляют – вот достаточно часто встречающиеся:

COME ALONG
1. To go with another person to a particular location or gathering. The guest can be named between "come" and "along." Feel free to come along with your sister tonight—we'd all love to see you.Can my boyfriend come along? He's very interested in the lecture topic. 2. To materialize or emerge. I would have told you about it sooner, but the job offer only came along yesterday.I know it's hard to consider right now, but a better guy for you will come along in the future. 3. To improve or make progress. His guitar playing is really coming along—he can play songs now, and they sound pretty good!
He came along with his sister он пришел вместе с сестрой. Come along! иди!, идем!, пошли!. The patient/garden is coming along/on nicely больной поправляется, сад хорошо разрастается. And Hector was supposed to come along with me, but at the last minute, he asked permission to stay behind to work on the books. You said she might come along. I know he's made mistakes in the past but I think he's coming along very well. You're coming along fine.

GO ALONG
1. To follow along with someone or something; to act in accordance with another's actions, especially when their motive or goal is unknown. If the cops show up at the house because the party's too loud, just go along with whatever I say.I'm going to play a prank on Jenny when she walks in. Just go along, OK? 2. To accompany or join someone. Can I go along with you to the mall? I need to get a new alarm clock. 3. To participate or cooperate in an activity or scheme. I'm sorry, but I can't go along with this. It's wrong. 4. To be in harmony or agreement with something. Unfortunately, the information we learned does not go along with the doctor's claims. 5. To travel or continue on some path or route. Just go along Main Street and then turn once you get to the river.
to go along the street идти по улице. The road goes along the river дорога идет вдоль реки. I’ll go along with you as far as the post office я провожу вас до почты. The work will become easier as you go along чем дальше, тем легче будет работать. I don't go along with you there тут я с вами не согласен. As the other half and rather silent partner of this team, I'm afraid I have to go along with my wife. I'm still not convinced, but let's say I'll go along. Perhaps Mr. Logan could go along but I'm afraid I'm just much too busy this morning to go for a long drive. Unless you want to go along. I almost went along for the ride.

RIDE ALONG
I would appreciate it very much if you'd ride along with me. Would you be kind enough to ride along with us, so we can fill in some background on the way?

RUN ALONG
To leave at once or in haste. Intended to be condescending if used as an imperative to an adult. You kids go run along and play outside.We'll be running along shortly, so no need to set a place for us for dinner.Run along, Dave—this is all a bit above your pay grade.
They kept disturbing him, so he told them to run along and leave him in peace. Better run along. I'd better run along. Run along and tell the director that it's too late to do my close-up. Uh, well, look, I'm sure both of you have a great deal to talk about so I'm gonna run along. I think I'll be running along.

TAG ALONG
To accompany or closely follow someone or a group, perhaps when one is not part of the group or when one's presence is not wanted. I decided to tag along and see if they found anything interesting.Do you mind if my little brother tags along? My parents want him to get out of the house for a while.
The children tagged along behind дети тащились сзади. If you don't mind, I'll tag along and fill you in as we go, OK? You do whatever you have to do and I'll just tag along and don't you worry about it. I'm just tagging along with that fella over there.

MOVE ALONG
1. To begin or continue to advance forward. Said especially as a command. Let's move along before the police show up!Move along, everyone—this conversation is no one's business but ours. 2. To instruct, direct, or compel someone to advance forward. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "move" and "along." The police finally showed up to move along the crowd of onlookers.I'm sorry, ma'am, but I need to move you along—your car is blocking access to this alley.
The police moved people along полицейские расчистили проход. Move along there please! проходите! I'll leave my card and then we can move along. You better get this investigation moving along.

HURRY (someone or something) ALONG
To urge someone or something to move at a faster pace. I hate going to museums with Paul because he just hurries me along through all of the exhibits.Good luck hurrying this phone call along—your mother can talk for hours!
Hurry them along officers, please.

BRING ALONG
To take another person to a particular location or gathering. A noun or pronoun can be used between "bring" and "along."Feel free to bring your sister along tonight—we'd all love to see her.Can I bring along my boyfriend? He's very interested in the lecture topic.
I took the liberty of bringing along a surprise. That chick that you put me on to, she brought her little sister along. Yes, bring her along. If I can get a baby-sitter, I'll bring my wife along.

TAKE ALONG
1. To bring something with one on a trip or to a location. A noun or pronoun can be used between "take" and "along." We'll be gone overnight, so make sure you take along a change of clothes for tomorrow.We had to wait in the lobby for a couple hours, so I'm glad I decided to take my book along. 2. To take another person to a particular location or gathering. A noun or pronoun can be used between "take" and "along. "Feel free to take your sister along tonight—we'd all love to see her.Can I take along my boyfriend? He's very interested in the lecture topic.
Well, take it along with you.

PASS ALONG
1. To deliver something to an intended recipient after having received it from someone else. A noun or pronoun can be used between "pass" and "along." Can you pass this notebook along to Jim when you see him in Spanish class?Grandpa gave me a few of his old magazines to pass along to you. 2. To relay a message from one person to another. Sure, I'll pass that info along to the Jamie.Please pass along my message when you see him.
Pass along there please! проходите, пожалуйста! And I said to myself, "Who could give me better advice to pass along to my nephew than Mr. Brandt?

GET ALONG
1. To interact (with someone) in a mutually friendly or amiable way. I'm glad you finally got to meet my brother—I knew you two would get along.My grandparents have been married for over 50 years and they still get along! 2. To depart.Oh, I need to get along now, or else I'll miss the train! 3. To progress, as in age. Unfortunately, my arthritis bothers me more as I get along in years. 4. To endure or persevere. Now that I've been laid off, I don't know how my family will get along.
They get along very well они отлично ладят. Get along/away with you! брось! да ну тебя! The policeman told the boys on the street corner to get along. Did Mr. Paris get along pretty well with his nephews? It's a shame that the two brothers don't get along like that. Life would be so simple if you two would just get along. You two get along okay?
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 16:59, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 117. Частица through

Употребляется несколько сочетаний с through.

COME THROUGH
1. To win, achieve, or accomplish something exceptionally well or very successfully. Said especially of a test, examination, or training of some kind, often in the expression "come through with flying colors. "Samantha was rather nervous taking her final exam, but she came through just fine. Your brother has come through his apprenticeship with flying colors. He'll be a master builder in no time! 2. To be revealed, often despite an attempt at masking or hiding. She tried to act happy for us, but her grief came through nonetheless. 3. To be approved. Good news—your auto loan came through! 4. To perform or act as expected. After promising a victory, the captain of the team came through with a great game on Friday night. Ask Ben to bring the ice—he'll come through. Any time I call my mom, she comes through for me with love and support. 5. To be received, transmitted, or broadcast. Call me back later—you're not coming through well, so I can barely hear you.
He came through without a scratch он вышел из этой истории без единой царапины. Call came through at 3 o'clock; разговор состоялся в три часа. I told you he was gonna come through just fine. If you'll just put it in this tray here and come through again. Remember, you have to come through for me tonight. Watch it, coming through. He was coming through here.

GET THROUGH
1. To be able to reach or contact someone. Nope, the line is busy—I can't get through. 2. To communicate in a way that makes one acknowledge, accept, or understand something. She just will not listen to me—I don't know how to get through to her. To best way to get through to these kids is to be honest with them.
Can you get a message through to him? можете передать ему сообщение? Our team got through to the final наша команда вышла в финал. I shall get through by six я закончу к шести. The news of the crash was a long time getting through сообщения об аварии долго не было. I couldn't get through to the doctor/the hospi¬tal я не мог дозвониться до врача/в больни¬цу. Because we'll get through to him. I do have work to get through.

PUT THROUGH
To connect one's telephone call to another person. You'll need to speak to the sales department about that issue. Would you like me to put you through?I'm just waiting for the bank to put me through to my account manager.
to put smb through to smb соединять кого-л с кем-л. They wouldn't put me through. I want to be put through to him right away. Put me through to a Marcus and Carlson Medical Supply Company. Sure, put me right through.

RUN (one) THROUGH
To impale or stab one completely through their body. I went to stop the thief, but he ran me through with a saber. The poor soldier was run through by a steel rod sent flying in the explosion.
I'll run the first part of the film through again я прокручу ещё раз первую часть фильма. And when you came in here you ran straight through to the fountain.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 17:01, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 118. Частица around/round

И последняя наречная частица, которую я приведу – (a)round (round более характерно для британского диалекта).

CIRCLE AROUND
move around in a circular motion
Circle around here, Pete, will you? Just keep circling around.

COME AROUND
1. To visit. Now that you're living in our neighborhood, please come around whenever you want. 2. To regain consciousness. After Lily fainted, we used smelling salts to get her to come round. The patient who'd been knocked out finally came around. 3. To happen or occur, typically regularly. I've been saving for months, with the goal of buying a car by the time my next birthday comes around. 4. To change one's position or view on something. He'll never come around to our side now that you've insulted him!What caused you to come round to our way of thinking?
Do come round and see us приходи/заходи к нам. I came round by Cambridge я ехал через Кембридж. She came round (after fainting) она пришла в себя/ в сознание. Xmas will soon come round again скоро рождество. He is coming round to our way of thinking он склоняется к нашей точке зрения. I think he'll come round eventually я думаю, что в конце концов он передумает. Can you come around here for a minute? Fellas, just come around and stand over on either side of me, if you will, please. Mr. Clay, why don't you come around to this side here?

DRIVE AROUND
1. To drive one to different places or sights. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is usually used between "drive" and "around. "When I visited my dad in Philadelphia, he drove me around and showed me all of the historical sites. I had to drive around my mom to six different stores until she found what she was looking for. 2. To drive through different parts of an area. Our neighborhood was so congested tonight that I had to drive around for half an hour before I found a parking space. 3. To drive aimlessly. Ever since Jack got his license, he spends most of his free time just driving around with his friends.
In summer I love driving/being driven around with no special object летом я люблю прокатиться/ проехаться куда-нибудь так, без особой цели. After driving his horses round for a while he put them back in the stable погоняв немного лошадей, он отвел их в конюшню. But it's cheaper to rent a car than drive around in cabs. It's got plenty of time left on it so if you'd like to drive around awhile, go ahead. Listen, it's expensive to drive around for two weeks in a taxicab. Other singers drive around in Ferraris, Rolls, I don't even own a car.

FIDDLE AROUND
1. To play with or idly handle (something); to tinker (with something), especially ineptly or improperly. John, would you quit fiddling around with that engine and bring the car to a shop already?Mary, stop fiddling around with the hem of your dress and sit still! 2. To engage in aimless recreation or frivolous time-wasting with someone or something. Quit fiddling around and work on your book report already! 3. To annoy or irritate someone, often by wasting their time. Quit fiddling around with me and give my book back, will you?
Why would Alvin fiddle around with your boss's accounts?

FOOL AROUND
1. To play or tinker with something, often in an aimless manner. Hey, don't fool around with the thermostat—it needs to stay at 68 degrees. Grandpa's still fooling around with that old radio, but I doubt he'll get it to work again. 2. To engage in aimless recreation or frivolous time-wasting. Quit fooling around with the dog and work on your book report already! 3. To have a casual sexual relationship with someone. Betsy and I are just fooling around, which is great because I don't want a serious relationship anyway. 4. To joke about something. Often used in the negative to indicate absolute seriousness. Oh, come on, Tina, we're just fooling around. We didn't mean it. You guys, Mom is not fooling around. She said she would ground us for a month if she caught us again.
If you go to college, you must work, not fool around. Don't fool around with that. He doesn't fool around with us peasants. I was just fooling around with the shoes just to pass the time for something to do until you came in. He seemed to be fooling around with a homemade bomb.

GET AROUND
1. To spread among a number of people, as of news, rumors, etc. When news of this tax scandal gets around, your career in politics will be finished! 2. (slang) To have sex with many different partners. I'd practice safe sex with him if I were you—I hear he tends to get around.
He gets round a lot (travels) он много ездит. The old man gets round well for his age (moves) старик очень еще подвижен для своих лет. I haven't got round to writing to him я еще не собрался написать ему. I’ll get round to (doing) it some day я доберусь до этого когда-нибудь. I never got round to it у меня до этого еще руки не дошли. Actually, the reason I asked you to come up to this room was that I figured sooner or later you'd get around to asking me where I was on the night of the murder. I figured you'd have to get around to disposing of the wine, sooner or later. I want to get away from these usual, dull looks that we get around here. Don't you have to go around to look at things? I don't wanna go around pointing my finger at anyone until I have an airtight case.

HANG AROUND
1. To linger some place without doing anything productive. There are always kids hanging around the diner after school. 2. To spend time with someone. I used to hang around with Chelsea a lot more before she started dating Drew. 3. In sports, to remain in a position to potentially win the game, despite being behind in the score. Even after being down by double digits, this team has found a way to hang around, and now they have the chance to take the lead in the final minute.
That's a long time to hang around after you just killed a man. I thought you'd hang around to see if you could pick up an odd lesson. Oh, no, I'd better hang around because if I leave now, it looks bad upstairs. Well, just to hang around the suite for a few hours. What's he still hanging around for?

TAKE AROUND
To guide someone through and introduce them to some place. This is where you'll be working, but let me take you around the rest of the building. My sister's coming to visit from America. Do you want to come while I take her around?
Let me take it around this way. Take it around the full circle till you get the hang of it.

LOOK AROUND
1. A usually brief visual examination of some place or location, done by walking around such a place and looking at its various aspects. The guide gave us a few moments to have a look around inside the ancient dwelling before we moved on to the next part of the tour. Do you mind stopping the car here? I want to take a look around. 2. verb To (usually briefly) visually examine some place or location by walking around such a place and looking at its various aspects. After 15 minutes or so of looking around, we both felt the house just wasn't right for us. I kept looking around for somewhere to plug my laptop in, but there were no outlets anywhere in the classroom.
I'm looking around for a new job я подыскиваю новую работу. I want to thank you for letting me look around. Look around as much as you like. No, I'm just gonna look around for a moment. That's what the other three guards told me, but I'd like to look around. Well, maybe I better look around.

LIE AROUND
To recline or loiter lazily; to loaf. You can't just lie around here all summer long. Either find a job and start paying rent, or find somewhere else to live. My friends and I always loved lying around at the lake near our neighborhood when we were kids.
He just lays around and I can't look at him. And this guy Lessing had a lot of chemical supplies lying around. There'd be conclusive evidence that might be lying around in his premises and he'd have to find it before we did.

FOLLOW AROUND = FOLLOW ABOUT
To move or follow close behind someone or something, often in an annoying way. I'm a preschool teacher, so I've had toddlers following me about all day. The interior designer can't get any work done with your puppy constantly following her about!
You're going to be a lot sorrier, Lieutenant. . . if you don't stop following me around.

SEE AROUND
1. Literally, to see what is in front of or on the other side of someone or something. I got stuck behind this giant guy at the concert, and I couldn't see around him the entire night!Can you see around the car ahead of us? Is there an accident up ahead or something? 2. To be able to perceive or understand that which has been obfuscated. He was trying to pass it off as an accident, but I could see around his ruse. We've got to learn to see around the government's propaganda. 3. To notice or recognize someone in or around some place or places, especially often or regularly. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "see" and "around. " I don't know his name, but I see him around campus quite a bit. She must be new to the company. I haven't seen her around before. 4. A casual farewell expression to someone else, whether or not one expects to see the other person again in the future. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "see" and "around," usually "you. "A: "I'd better get going, Tom. " B: "All right, Mark. See you around!"I was pretty ready for the date to be over, so thanked her for dinner, told her I would see her around, and hopped in a taxi to go home[/i].
I'll see you around.

MOVE AROUND
1. To move in a continuous, aimless manner. I know you're still feeling woozy, but try moving around a little bit. Would you quit moving around in bed like that? I'm trying to sleep! 2. To cause or compel someone or something to move from one place or point to another. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "move" and "around. " I rolled my ankle funny, Doc, and now it hurts to move it around. I wish you wouldn't move around the furniture like that—I have it decorated in a particular way!The teacher moves us around each month so that we sit next to different students throughout the year.
But he was moving around in there. But he's fine, he's moving around.

TURN AROUND
1. To rotate. The Earth turns around on an axis, which gives us our nights and days. 2. To revolve around (something). The Earth turns around the Sun, which gives us our seasons. 3. To cause someone or something to rotate in one or more circles. A noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "around. " I'll put this blindfold on you and turn you around, and then you try to hit the piñata with this stick. He turned the dial around until the tumblers of the lock clicked into place. 4. To rotate until oriented in the opposite direction. I turned around very quickly, certain I had heard someone say my name. The police car turned around and began pursuing the van that ran the red light. 5. To turn something so that the other side of it is now visible. A noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "around. " I turned the frame around and realized that it had a special engraving on it. Let's turn the sign around so people won't see what it says. 6. To reverse the direction or course of someone or something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "around. " I swear, if you kids don't stop fighting back there, I am going to turn this car around and take us straight back home! 7. To improve in some way, especially after a poor performance. The playoffs start in a month—that doesn't leave much timefor thing to turn around. Is it true that the company's sales turned around this quarter? 8. To cause someone or something to begin being successful or favorable after a period of decline. A noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "around. " The new VP of Marketing really turned around the company. We're hoping to turn our luck around with a win this Saturday. 9. To do something suddenly that is unexpected and often undesired. I was expecting a slap on the wrist or something for making such an inappropriate joke, but then they turned around and fired me!I was so shaken after she turned around and blamed me for what had happened. 10. To prepare something that has been used by someone else so that it is ready for the next person or people. A noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "around. " The wait staff here is encouraged to turn around the tables as quickly as possible for new customers. The plane has arrived, but the airport staff has to turn it around before they'll let us aboard. 11. To complete expected or necessary work on something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "around. " The guy who's resoling my shoes said that he can turn them around in a few days. They're expecting us to turn around each design in a day or two. That's just not feasible! 12. To alter, distort, or misrepresent the intended meaning of something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "around. " No, that's not what I meant—stop turning my words around like that!You can't just turn the author's words around to fit the agenda of your essay. I think her husband is turning her thoughts around and undermining her confidence in what she's seeing. 13. To make someone confused, disoriented, or lost. A noun or pronoun can be used between "turn" and "around. " Often used in passive constructions. Those winding trails can really turn you around if you're not careful, especially when it starts getting dark. I got really turned around in the middle of my speech. I must have sounded absolutely ridiculous to everyone listening.
We turned the car round мы развернулись. Turn your chairs round поверните стулья. Wouldn't the bull then turn around and attack him? Mr. Mallory must've turned around and he shot him. The he turned around and got a license. When I got there, the place was closed. . . so I turned around and I drove home.

WANDER AROUND
To walk casually around (some place) without any definite purpose or destination. We had a few hours to kill before we had to catch our train, so we just wandered around downtown for a while. Could you please give me some directions? I've been wandering around for hours with no idea where to go
I'll just wander around. The receptionist told me you were tied up, so I decided to wander around. There is something else, but I don't know where all that leads to just yet, so. . . I'll just wander around. 1 wandering This fellow's been wandering around in this shot and it's getting very distracting.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 17:03, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 119. Важность фразовых глаголов.

Почему я уделил так много времени этой теме?

а) Считаю ее (как и неправильные глаголы) одной из центральных. Если иностранец, изучающий русский язык, плохо ориентируется в глаголах типа заделать, переделать, доделать, разделать, уделать, отделать, проделать, наделать и т.п., то, разумеется, о хорошем знании языка говорить не приходится. И здесь то же самое – необходимо уверенно отличать наречные частицы от предлогов (от этого зависят и ударения) и знать значение основных таких сочетаний.
б) Я привел примерно две с половиной сотни популярных фразовых глаголов и тоже сравниваю их с неправильными глаголами. Неправильных глаголов вполне ограниченное количество, причем на практике нужно освоить основные (без досконального знания форм глагола shit можно первое время вполне обходиться, да и дальше часто тоже). Так же и здесь, хотя фразовых глаголов гораздо больше, но именно основных, часто употребляемых, для практических целей будет по крайней мере на первых порах вполне достаточно.
в) Материалы могут произвести впечатление чего-то очень сложного и объемного, но стоит начать работать с ними, подобрав подходящие словари (лучше парочку и сверять значения), то быстро выяснится, что все не так страшно. И так дело обстоит вообще с лексикой.

При этом я бы разделил работу с такими глаголами для пассивного восприятия и для пополнения актива.

(1) В первом случае, я бы располагал глаголы по наречной частице:
MIX UP: I always mix them up я вечно их путаю. Don't get mixed up in that affair не впутывайся в это дело.
MAKE UP: These parts make up a whole эти части составляют одно целое. I'll try to make up for my rudeness я постараюсь загладить свою грубость. To make up for lost time наверстать упущенное время. He was made up as a prince он был в гриме принца.
LOCK UP: He locked up the house он запер дом.
LIGHT UP: His eyes lit up with joy его глаза засветились радостью.
HANG UP: We're hung up waiting for raw materials у нас перебои с сырьем. He hung up (on me) он положил трубку (не дав мне договорить).
DRAW UP: to draw up a chair for a guest пододвигать стул для гостя. He drew himself up to his full height он выпрямился во весь рост; to draw up troops выстраивать войска. The bus drew up at the theatre автобус остановился у театра.
DIG UP: They have dug up the road in order to lay drains они раскопали дорогу, чтобы проложить трубы. He dug up a Greek vase он откопал греческую вазу; Where did you dig up that old bicycle?/that scandal? где ты откопал этот старый велосипед? Как ты узнал об этом скандале?
PUT UP: He put up his hand он поднял руку. to put up a notice вывесить объявление. to put up a picture/wallpaper повесить картину, оклеивать стены обоями. The house has been put up for sale дом продается. The painting has been put up for sale/auction картина выставлена на продажу/ на аукционе. The government put up the money for the project правительство финансировало этот проект. My father put up the money for my car отец дал мне деньги на машину. I can put you up for the night я могу приютить вас на ночь.
PUT UP WITH: I won't put up with that я этого не потерплю, я с этим не примирюсь.
CLEAN UP: I must clean up my room я должен прибрать комнату. The police are going to clean up the drug traffic полиция намерена покончить с торговлей наркотиками. We cleaned up £ 50 at the races мы выиграли пятьдесят фунтов на скачках.
CLEAR UP: It cleared up небо прояснилось. The weather soon cleared (up) погода вскоре улучшилась.
CLOSE UP: Flowers close up at night ночью цветы закрываются; The wound closed up рана закрылась; The ranks closed up ряды сомкнулись.
BURN UP: The fire burnt up brightly огонь ярко разгорелся.
BLOW UP: The incident has been blown up by the press out of all proportion эта история была невероятно раздута прессой. to blow up a photo увеличивать фото. The boss blew him up начальник сделал ему разнос. The mine blew up мина взорвалась; The wind is blowing up ветер усиливается.
BREAK UP: We're breaking up boxes for firewood мы разламываем ящики на дрова. We broke up the pupils into groups мы разбили учащихся на группы. The estate was broken up имение разделили. The police broke up the meeting полиция разогнала митинг. Broke it up! Кончайте! He is rapidly breaking up он быстро сдает. The fine weather is breaking up погода портится. Their marriage has broken up их брак распался.

Из основного значения частицы обычно очевидно буквальное, базовое значение такого сочетания, а затем нужно поработать с переносными (т.е. собственно фразовыми) значениями, если они есть, и пометить их для себя. Будучи достаточно популярными, составные глаголы будут встречаться при чтении и, если параллельно время от времени проглядывать эти списки, они достаточно быстро запомнятся.

(2) А вот при включении фразовых глаголов в свою речь, я бы считал правилом отношение к этому как и к любым идиомам. Чем их меньше, тем лучше – так как говорить придется не только с носителями языка (да и в Британии и США они очень разные). Конечно, такие распространенные как give up, достаточно общеприняты, но специально набивать свою речь фразовыми глаголами я бы не стал и учитывал, что любой может быть заменен или "обычным" глаголом и выражен другими средствами.
При этом, разумеется, легко буквально понимаемые такие сочетания осваивать необходимо и, учитывая, что часто частица не очень меняет смысл глагола, то и фразовые тоже я располагал бы, "идя" уже от основного глагола. Например:

ANSWER BACK = argue after receiving an order or rebuke: Do what I tell you and don't answer back.
BACK DOWN = become less aggressive: Bullies often back down when you stand up to them.
BEAR UP = not give in to fatigue, sorrow, etc: In spite of her tireness/grief she bore up bravely throughout the ceremony.
[/B]BREAK DOWN[/B] (1) = collapse. She broke down when they told her the sad news; (2) = come to a premature end: The negotiations have broken down.
BREAK IN = interrupt (a discussion) : I must break in at this point and remind you that coffee is being served in the next room.
BREAK OFF = stop (eg a meeting, a speech) : I suggest we break off now and meet again at three o'clock.
BREAK OUT = start: An epidemic of influenza has broken out.
BREAK UP = come to the end, eg of a meeting: School has broken up for the summer holidays. The meeting broke up in disorder.
CARRY ON = continue: Don't stop. Carry on (working).
CATCH ON = understand: I didn't understand anything at first, but now I'm beginning to catch on.
CATCH UP = reduce the distance between oneself and those in front: George is running fourth in the race, but he's beginning to catch up (with the leaders).
CLEAR OUT = go away: I see I'm in your way. I'll clear out and leave you alone.
CLEAR UP = improve: The clouds are drifting away and the weather is clearing up.
COME ABOUT = happen. What happened? How did this ail come about?
COME ТО = regain consciousness: She fainted, and it was half an hour before she came to again.
DRAW BACK = step back: Seeing the snake, he drew back in horror.
DRAW UP = approach and stop: A car drew up beside me and a man with a strange accent asked me the way.
DROP IN = call on smb: Why don't you drop in and see me some time?
DROP OUT = withdraw: John has dropped out (of the race).
FALL BACK = retreat: The defeated-army fell back (on its last lines of defence).
FALL BEHIND = opposite of catch up:. George was catching up, but he's now falling behind again.
FALL IN = get into ranks, on parade: At the sound of the bugle, the troops fell in and waited for the next word of command.
FALL OFF = decrease: Attendance at classes has fallen off considerably since the bad weather started.
FALL OUT (1) opposite of fall in: The troops fell out and walked slowly to their tents: (2) = quarrel: I hear that George and Mary have fallen out (with each other).
FALL THROUGH = come to nothing: I'm afraid our plans have fallen through. We'll have to think again.
FIND OUT = discover the truth. If you've told a lie someone is bound to find out sooner or later.

То есть, вместо catch on можно прекрасно употреблять understand и надо учитывать, что фразове глаголы характерны для разговорной речи и не все уместны в любой ситуации.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 17:04, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 120. Предложные глаголы.

Теперь о предложных глаголах – тоже считаю это важным моментом.
Фразовые глаголы можно рассматривать и как небольшую конструкцию (глагол+наречная частица) и как единое лексическое целое (так же как, например, составные предлоги).
Предложные глаголы тоже можно трактовать двояко:

I'm looking + [for a job] – глагол плюс предложный оборот.
I'm looking for + [a job] – составной глагол плюс дополнение.

Возьмем несколько примеров из лонгмановской грамматики:

It just looks like [the barrel].
I've never even thought about [it].
Britannia said he had asked for [permission to see the Bight deck].
A new telephone hotline will be established by York City Council to deal with
[parking problems in the Barbican area].

Предложные глаголы можно заменить на "простые" переходные:

looks like [the barrel] = resembles the barrel
thought about [it] = considered it
asked for [permission] = requested permission
deal with [parking problems] = handle parking problems

В пользу второго подхода говорит то, что предложные глаголы можно использовать в пассиве, т.е. рассматривать их как составные переходные глаголы. Причем при образовании пассива не всегда получаются естественные предложения:

They eventually arrived at the expected result.
They eventually arrived at the splendid stadium.

The expected result was eventually arrived at.
The splendid stadium was eventually arrived at.

Второе предложение неестественно, но так и в русском языке и с переходными глаголами тоже (Маша поцеловала Петю/Петя был поцелован Машей) и едва ли есть какие-то четкие правила, в каком случае пассивы звучат естественно.
Важным отличием является разница в образовании вопросов с wh-словами. Такие вопросы с предложными глаголами начинаются с what/who (т.е. вопрос задается к дополнению) и предлог остается:

What are you talking about?
What are you listening to?
Who are you working with?
Who was he talking to?
What are you laughing at?
What are you waiting for?

"Свободные" сочетания с предлогами начинаются с where/when, что отражает "работу"" предложного оборота в качестве обстоятельства:

Place
go to: Where were they going?
meet at: Where will we meet?
walk to: Where are you walking?

Time
go on/at: When are you going to Christie's?
play at: When are you playing?
leave on/at: When are you leaving?

И можно еще отметить второй тип предложных глаголов, которые употребляется в конструкции

глагол+дополнение+предлог
But Jackson bases [his prediction] on [first-hand experience].

У Мерфи есть подборка таких глаголов.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 17:06, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 121. Предложные глаголы (продолжение).

И некоторые примеры достаточно распространенных предложных глаголов.

ABIDE BY: to abide by the rules/a decision придерживаться правил/решения; I abide by what I said я остаюсь верным тому, что сказал.
ABSTAIN FROM: to abstain from smoking/voting воздерживаться от курения/от голосования.
ACCOUNT FOR: three people have not been accounted for не досчитались трех человек: that accounts for his absence это объясняет его отсутствие; I will have to account to my father for the money I've spent я должен буду отчитаться перед отцом за истраченные деньги; составлять; women account for about 60% of our audience женщины составляют около 60% наших слушателей.

ACCUSE OF: to accuse smb of a crime обвинить кого-л в преступлении; she was accused of taking money ее обвинили в краже денег.

ACQUAINT WITH: he acquainted me with the details of the affair он ознакомил меня с подробностями этого дела; I’am acquainted with him я с ним знаком; I have acquainted myself with the outlines of the case я ознакомился с делом в общих чертах.

ADAPT TO; to adapt oneself to one's environment приспосабливаться к среде.
ADMIRE FOR: I admire him for his courage я восхищаюсь/восхищен его мужеством;

AIM AT: he's aiming at perfection/ at becoming a doctor он стремится к совершенству/ он собирается стать врачом.

ALLOW FOR: not allowing for expenses не принимая в расчет издержки; how much are you allowed for books? сколько денег вам выдают на книги?
APOLOGIZE FOR: he apologized to us for being late/for keeping us waiting он извинился перед нами за опоздание/ что заставил нас ждать.

APPLY FOR: I'm applying for a job as librarian я ищу место библиотекаря; to apply to the university for a grant обращаться в деканат с просьбой о предоставлении стипендии.
APPROVE OF: I approve of her choice я одобряю ее выбор; he doesn't approve of his wife smoking он очень недоволен, что его жена курит.

ARGUE ABOUT: I argued with him over/ about it for hours я часами спорил с ним об этом.
ARGUE AGAINST/IN FAVOUR: he argued against/ in favour of the proposal он приводил доводы против/в пользу этого предложения.
ASK FOR: he asked for advice он просил совета; he asked for his pencil back он попросил свой карандаш обратно; he's just asking for trouble он напрашивается на неприятности

CALL FOR: to call for help звать на помощь; what time shall I call for you? когда мне за тобой зайти/заехать?; that remark was not called for не надо было это говорить; this will call for plenty of tact это требует большого такта; this calls for a drink/a celebration за это надо выпить.
COME FROM: I come from Scotland я родом из Шотландии; the quotation comes from Pushkin эта цитата из Пушкина; that word comes from Arabic это слово пришло из арабского языка;
COUNT ON: we count on dry weather мы рассчитываем на сухую погоду; one can count on her на нее можно положиться.

DEAL WITH: he's dealing with this matter он занимается этим делом/вопросом; this chapter deals with Rome/with the problems of... в этой главе говорится о Риме/рассматриваются проблемы...; the manager will deal with this question этот вопрос рассмотрит заведующий; she's good at dealing with children она умеет обращаться с детьми; he dealt very fairly with me он был очень корректен со мной; I'll deal with him! я им займусь! we don't deal with that firm мы не имеем дела с этой фирмой.
DEPEND ON: it depends on circumstances это зависит от обстоятельств; the success of the enterprise depends on us ourselves успех дела зависит от нас самих; prices depend on supply and demand цены зависят от спроса и предложения; he depends on writing for his living он зарабатывает на жизнь литературным трудом; you can depend on him на него можно положиться; I was depending on him but he let me down я понадеялся на него, а он меня подвел.
GO FOR: to go for a walk/drive/doctor пойти погулять, поехать на прогулку, сходить за врачом;
to go for smb (physically or verbally) набрасываться на; the vase went for 5 roubles ваза была продана за пять рублей; this goes for me too я тоже с этим согласен.
LAUGH AT: to laugh at smb смеяться над кем-л.
LISTEN TO: to listen to music слушать музыку; don't listen to him не слушай его; listen carefully to all I say выслушай меня внимательно; he never listens to my advice он никогда не прислушивается к моим советам.
LOOK AFTER: I'll look after all that всё это моя забота, всё это на мне; I'm looking after the children я присматриваю за детьми; she looked after the tomato plants/ the patient она ухаживала за помидорами/за больным; look after yourself! побереги себя!, будь осторожен! he looks after himself when his wife is away когда жена в отъезде, он сам ведёт хозяйство;
LOOK AT: to look at him you wouldn't think he was a millionaire посмотреть на него, так и не подумаешь, что он миллионер; she's not much to look at, but... она не так уж хороша собой, но...; he wouldn't look at the idea он и слышать не хотел об этом (предложении); they won't look at you without a degree они и смотреть на тебя не станут, если у тебя нет степени; the mechanic will look at the brakes механик проверит тормоза
LOOK FOR: I'm looking for a job я ищу/ присматриваю себе работу; to look for an opportunity to... искать возможности/удобного случая, чтобы...
LOOK INTO: to look into a problem рассматривать проблему, разбираться в вопросе; will you look into the question of supplies? вы занимаетесь вопросом снабжения? the police are looking into the theft полиция расследует кражу;

LOOK ON: I have always looked on you as a friend я всегда считал тебя другом; I look on him as a hero я смотрю на него как на героя; I look on it as an honour to work with him для меня большая честь работать с ним; I look on that as an insult я рассматриваю это как оскорбление;
LOOK TO: I looked to him for help я обратился к нему за помощью; no good looking to them for support нечего ждать от них поддержки;
MEET WITH: to meet with misfortune/approval/resistance попасть в беду, встречать одобрение/сопротивление; I met with difficulties in my work мне в работе встретились трудности; my efforts met with no success мой усилия ни к чему не привели.
PAY FOR: the state pays for everything за все платит государство; the new machines will soon pay for themselves новые машины быстро окупятся; he'll pay for this он за это поплатится;

PAY INTO: I've been paying into the fund for 10 years я десять лет плачу взносы в этот фонд; to pay money/a cheque into a bank класть деньги (положить)/посылать чек в банк;
REFER TO: please do not refer to this again прошу вас больше не ссылаться на это; referring to your letter... ссылаясь на ваше письмо...; to refer to the original/to the minutes обратиться к оригиналу/ к протоколу; he often referred to his notes он часто обращался к своим запискам; to whom are you referring? о ком вы говорите?, кого вы имеете в виду? this refers to you all это относится ко всем вам.
RELY ON: I rely on you/on his word я полагаюсь на тебя/на его слово; he relies too much on his mother он слишком зависит от матери; he's not to be relied on на него нельзя положиться.
RESULT IN: it resulted in a quarrel это кончилось ссорой, это привело к ссоре; the game resulted in a draw игра закончилась вничью.
STAND BY: he stands by his principles/ word он придерживается своих принципов, он держит свое слово; he stood by me он меня поддерживал; I stand by all I said then я верен тому, что тогда сказал;
STAND FOR: "К" stands for kitten «К» означает «котенок»; I dislike him and all he stands for я не люблю его и все, что с ним связано.
SUCCEED IN: he succeeded in finishing his thesis / in cutting his finger ему удалось закончить диссертацию/ он умудрился порезать себе палец.
SUFFER FROM: to suffer from insomnia страдать бессонницей; the children suffered from having no friends дети страдали от отсутствия друзей; she suffered badly from headaches ее мучили головные боли; he suffers from a limp он хромает; the car suffered from lack of maintenance за машиной не было должного ухода.
TALK TO: to talk to smb about smth говорить/разговаривать с кем-л о чем-л; I'm not talking to him any more я с ним больше не разговариваю; to get talking to smb разговориться с кем-л;
WAIT FOR: I'm waiting for the/a train я жду поезд; we're waiting for you/for a letter мы вас ждем, мы ждем письмо or письма; we'll not wait for you for dinner мы не будем ждать тебя к обеду; we didn't wait for the end of the film мы не досидели до конца сеанса; to wait for an opportunity выжидать случай.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 17:07, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 122. Итог по глагольной группе.

Итак, небольшой итог по глагольной группе.

1. Собственно глагол может быть и составным – предложным, фразовым (в широком смысле любое сочетание глагола с наречной частицей) и фразово-предложным.
Разумеется, их нужно уметь уверенно видеть в тексте:

“A programmer! That’s exactly what we are looking for. Listen. Quit your institute and join up with us!”
“And what do you have to offer?”
“What do we have?” asked Hawk-nose, turning around.
“Aldan-three,” said The Beard.
“A well-endowed machine,” I said. “Has it been running well?”
“Well, how shall I say..
“I get it,” I said.
“As a matter of fact, it hasn’t been debugged yet,” said The Beard. “Stay here with us and fix it up.”
“We’ll arrange your transfer before you can count to two,” added Hawk-nose.
“What are you working on?” I asked.
“As with all science — the happiness of man.”

2. Глаголы можно разделить на смысловые и вспомогательные, которые в свою очередь – на модальные и have, be, do. Например, в последней оксфордской грамматике это сделано так:
Изображение

Смысловые делятся на переходные, непереходные и глаголы-связки, что понадобится чуть позже – от них зависит какой элемент предложения последует за глаголом.

3. Из сочетаний вспомогательных глаголов и смыслового составляется глагольная группа (verb phrase). При этом два варианта. глагольная группа может
а) выражать грамматическое время: One was winning, and, correspondingly, the other was losing; Since then, he has been improving them over and over.
b) представлять из себя сочетание модального глагола и инфинитива: “The needs must be satisfied!” We should have put aside such labels in scientific discussions a long time ago.
При этом в "роли" модального глагола может быть модальное сочетание: Only by spring, and only by chance, were we able to decipher the mystery; I used to know one parrot who could growl like a tiger; You are going to return the sofa!
('used to' и 'be going to' "работают" фактически как грамматические времена).

4. При базовом порядке слов глагольная группа следует сразу же после подлежащего и как элемент предложения тоже носит название Verb. Так исторически сложилось в английской грамматике, так как эта функция реализуется только глаголами.

Изображение

Т.е. термин 'verb' имеет два значения. Первое как часть речи (это всегда одно слово) и второе – как элемент предложения, функция (в этом случае речь идет уже о всей глагольной группе).
Таким образом, при базовом порядке слов сначала идет Subject/подлежащее (в большинстве случаев выражается группой существительного /noun phrase), а затем идет Verb, которые всегда выражается глагольной группой /verb phrase:

[Three members of the committee] [were] absent because of illness.
[My headache] [is getting] worse
[This additional work] [will take] about two hours more.
[The store] [is advertising] a sale.
[We] [have agreed] on everything.
[Two big powers] [have signed] a secret agreement.
И т.п.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 17:14, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 123. Снова о determiners.

Я уже говорил о "циклах", в том смысле, что к материалам, которые рассматриваются более упрощенно на начальном уровне, стоит вернуться более углубленно в будущем.
Немного уже было о группе существительного (Noun Phrase/NP), и что в роли подлежащего чаще всего выступает именно она (и часто употребляется ее "простой" вариант – местоимение). Дополнение тоже часто (хотя здесь возможности значительно шире) реализуется так же (а "непрямое" – практически всегда) и теперь можно к этому вернуться и чуть более подробно посмотреть на функцию внутри группы существительного, которая обычно реализуется уточнителем (Determiner).
Во-первых, их достаточно ограниченное количество (это служебные слова), хотя разные авторы дают и несколько разные списки. Это не так важно и основные можно рассортировать, например, так:

a/an, the – артикли
few, little, Much, many – обозначают маленькое/большое количество
either, neither, both – относятся к двум предметам
each, every - т.н. 'distributive determiners'
any, some – обозначают существование
certain, a few, a little, several, enough – выражают некоторое количество
no, only, half, all – "абсолютное" количество: ни одного, только один, половина, все
this, that, these, those – указательные
one – как отличающееся по значению от числительного.
such, other, another – такие же или другие
same, very – идентичность
first, secondnext, last – "порядковые".
my, your, our – личные
what, which, whose – вопросительные

Все уточнители из списка в широком употреблении и нужно их освоить. И в ряде случаев необходимо обращать внимание на некоторые тонкости. Например:

● Центральной темой, разумеется, здесь являются артикли. В принципе, суть сводится к тому, что определенный артикль обозначает предмет, при упоминании которого слушатель/читатель уже знает, о чем идет речь, а неопределенный показывает, что предмет рассматривается как представитель класса, но есть огромное количество тонкостей. Это уже, разумеется, к хорошим учебникам по грамматике.

● Перед рядом determiners употребляется определенный артикль ввиду "единственности" описываемого предмета.

The only: this is the only vase of its kind in existence эта ваза — единственная в своем роде;
the next: take the next turning but two поверните через два квартала;
the same: we live on the same floor мы живем на одном этаже;
the very: in the very next breath he said... и в ту же секунду он прибавил... the very thought of it disgusts me мне противна сама мысль об этом; I've read the book to the very end / from end to end я прочитал книгу до самого конца; in the very near future в самом ближайшем будущем;everyone was there down to the very youngest там были все, даже самые младшие.
the other: it's neither one thing nor the other это ни то ни сё.
(another – это фактически an+other)

● 'All apples' подразумевает, что речь идет о всех яблоках на свете (скажем, их все можно есть), а в противном случае необходимо уточнение такого рода: 'all these/the/my apples'

Many употребляется с исчисляемыми существительными, а much – с неисчисляемыми.

● Поскольку many/much звучит в разговорной речи обычно неестественно (слишком официально), есть ряд "заменителей" (похожую форму имеет и выражение 'a bit of'). Какие-то более разговорные, какие-то более формальные и нужно следить можно ли эти словосочетания употреблять и с исчисляемыми и неисчисляемыми существительными или нет.

С исчисляемыми употребляется:
a great (formal)/large number of: A large number of schools open in October.

С неисчисляемыми:
a good/great deal of: a good deal of time/money.
A great (formal)/large amount of : . We need a large amount of coal нам нужно большое количество угля.
A bit of (informal): may I give you a bit of advice? Можно мне дать вам маленький совет? there's a bit of soot on your nose у вас сажа на носу.

С теми и другими:
plenty of: this will call for plenty of tact это требует большого такта; he always has plenty of helpers on tap у него всегда много помощников под рукой;
a lot of: I have a lot of engagements this week эту неделю я очень занят; he talks a lot of trash он несет/порет такую чушь;
lots of (informal): a pretty girl gets lots of attention хорошенькие девушки избалованы вниманием.

Many можно "усилить" таким образом: a good/great many: there were a good many people doing last minute shopping at the mall on Christmas Eve; a good many people think she’s right; there are a great many places in the world I’d like to visit.

В формальном языке можно встретить также many a (formal): many a man многие люди;

Many/much имеют "общие" сравнительные степени: more-most. При этом стоит обратить внимание на разницу между the most и most:

Jack did more work that anyone else. So he did the most work.
Most people want a peaceful life.
В первом случае есть сравнение с кем-то еще – Джек был одним из нескольких работников. Во втором случае сравнение только с общим количеством – большинство (но не все) хотят мирной жизни.

Few употребляется с исчисляемыми существительными, а little – с неисчисляемыми.
Few/little имеет негативный смысл – очень мало, почти ничего, а a few/a little уже более позитивный – мало, но все-таки есть.

Сравнительные степени - fewer/fewest и less/least:
There were fewer people today than yesterday.
Jack made the fewest mistakes.
Please make less noise.
John gives me the least trouble.

● Упрощенное правило гласит, что some употребляется в утвердительных предложениях, а any - вопросительных и отрицательных. На самом деле, это не всегда так. Употребление any показывает, что предусматривается любое количество и говорящему оно неизвестно. Some означает, что говорящий уже "имеет в голове" какое-то количество.
Are there any letters for me? Any at all?
Are there some /səm/ letters for me? I was expecting some /sʌm/.

Так же и any может употребляться в утвердительном предложении:
Let me know if you need any help (речь идет о "любом количестве" помощи).

Every и each в ряде случаев взаимозаменяемы:
Every/each man knows what he has to do.
On every/each side of the square there were soldiers.

Но every может относиться к количеству только более трех и в таком примере возможно только each:
On each side of the street …

И кроме того при употреблении each обычно имеется в виду, что каждый объект рассматривается скорее индивидуально, а every показывает, что говорящий смотрит на них "коллективно". Это можно увидеть на примере:

When every man had assembled, the master paid them their wages.
Здесь them и their более естественно, чем him и his, потому что собраться по отдельности невозможно и здесь речь идет о всем коллективе.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 17:12, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

И, как всегда список терминов по данному смысловому куску – глагольной группе.
Все они очень просты. Глагольная группа (вот этого термина в наших пособиях старательно избегают) состоит только из глаголов – служебных (если нужны) и смыслового. Выражает она в первую очередь грамматическое время и аспект.
Есть несколько типов подразделения глаголов – в том числе на переходные, непереходные и глаголы-связки, от этого зависит дальнейшее развитие предложения. При этом такие слова как transitive/ intransitive, linking, auxiliary и т.п. уже чисто грамматическими терминами не являются и, хотя в данных случаях за ними стоит грамматический смысл, он обычно очень простой.

19. verb phrase
A main verb, or a main verb preceded by one or more auxiliary verbs, which combines with a subject to say what someone or something does, or what happens to them; e.g. I’ll show them… She’ s been sick. (Collins)
A verb or a group of words that functions as a verb, e.g. opens, went, is coming, had waited, can swim, must have seen (Eastwood)
A verb that has more than one part. Example: would have been forgotten. (Swan)

20. verb
A word like ask, wake, play, be, can, which can be used with a subject to form the basis of a clause. In clauses, verbs often consist of an auxiliary verb + infinitive or participle (e.g. will go; has spoken). Most verbs refer to actions, events or states. See also auxiliary verb, modal auxiliary verb, verb phrase. (Swan)
A word used with a subject to say what someone or something does, or what happens to them; e.g. sing, spill, die. (Collins)
In the sentence The parcel arrived yesterday, the word arrived is a verb. Verbs are words like play, walk, look, have, discover. (Eastwood)

state/stative verb
A verb that refers to something staying the same, not an action, e.g. be, belong, remain, know (Eastwood)
A verb that describes a state; e.g. be, live, know. (Collins)
A verb describing a state, such as be or like. The distinction between state verbs and action verbs expresses broadly the same contrast as the opposition stative vs dynamic. Theoretically, therefore, state verbs are not used in the progressive. In practice, however, some state/stative verbs are used with dynamic meaning (We’re having a party; You’re being difficult). Notice also that some state verbs may denote a brief temporary state (I think I’ll go to bed), but this is in contrast to a temporary action (I’m thinking about it). (Aarts)
Verbs with stative meaning are used to refer to ongoing processes or states of being with no easily identifiable start or finish, such as like, mean, contain, see. In Standard English, stative verbs do not normally occur in the progressive or the imperative: *I am liking mayonnaise; *Contain this! Stative verbs are often contrasted with dynamic verbs. (Routledge)

action/dynamic verb
A verb such as run, give or slice which describes an action. Compare with stative verb. (Collins)
A verb (also called an event verb) describing a situation that occurs over a limited period of time which has a beginning and an end, e.g. arrive, make, listen, walk. Contrasted with a state verb. The terms action and event, used to describe verbs, are popular equivalents for dynamic. (Similarly, state verb is popularly substituted for stative verb.) The alternative labels are not, however, strictly synonymous, since the main verb in I am growing old, as part of a progressive construction, must be described as dynamic, but less obviously denotes either an action or an event. (Aarts)
Verbal meaning can be seen as either dynamic or stative. It is common practice to describe verbs that can be used in progressive constructions as dynamic verbs, in contrast to stative verbs, which typically cannot. However, it is more accurate to speak of dynamic and stative meaning, since many so-called stative verbs can be used dynamically with a shift in meaning. Compare the following pairs:
I have two sisters. We’re having a party
They are hard-working. You are being so silly
They look alike. My prospects are looking good
(Aarts)
Verbs with ‘dynamic’ meaning are those which can be used to describe events, actions and activities with an identifiable start and finish: build, swim, walk, laugh. They can occur with the progressive and the imperative: His dogs are running well today; She was cooking a goose; And stop that noise! Dynamic verbs are often contrasted with stative verbs. (Routledge)

phrasal verb
A verb form that is made up of two parts: verb + adverb particle. Examples: fill up; run over; take in. (Swan)
A combination of a verb and an adverb and/or a preposition, which have a single meaning; e.g. back down, hand over, look after, look forward to. (Collins)
A verb + adverb combination, e.g. get up, look out, turn off (Eastwood)

prepositional verb
A verb form that is made up of two parts: verb form + preposition. Examples: insist on; care for; listen to. (Swan)
A verb + preposition combination, e.g. look at, payfor, believe in (Eastwood)
A verb idiom consisting of a main verb followed by a preposition, for example look after, look at, decide on, consist of, cope with. The choice of preposition is determined by the verb rather than by the independent meaning of the preposition. Prepositional verbs can be confused with transitive phrasal verbs, but they are clearly distinct in that the particle (or second word) of a prepositional verb is a preposition, whereas that of a phrasal verb is a prepositional adverb. The confusion arises because of the similar appearance of examples like:
I looked at the picture. (at = preposition)
I looked up the word. (up = prepositional adverb)
But the difference is clear when we note that the word can be moved in front of its particle (I looked the word up), whereas the picture cannot be place in front of its preposition: *I looked the picture at is ungrammatical.
The noun phrase following a prepositional verb is sometimes called a prepositional object. Its role in the sentence is semantically similar to that of the object of a transitive verb (compare, for example, I looked at the picture with I examined the picture). However, this idiomaticity of look at does not prevent us from regarding at the picture in this construction as a prepositional phrase. (Leech)

auxiliary verb
A verb like be, have, do which is used with another verb to make tenses, passive forms etc. Examples: She was writing; Where have you put it? See also modal auxiliary verb. (Swan)
A verb such as be, have, do, will, can which we use with an ordinary verb (Eastwood)
One of the verbs be, have, and do when they are used with a main verb to make verb forms, negatives, questions, and so on. Also called auxiliary. Modals are also auxiliary verbs. (Collins)

modal (auxiliary) verb
The modal verbs are will, would, shall, should, can, could, may, might, must, need, ought to, dare. (Eastwood)
An auxiliary verb that is used with a main verb to indicate a particular attitude, such as possibility, obligation, prediction, or deduction; e.g. can, could, may, might. Also called modal auxiliary or modal verb. (Collins)
One of the verbs can, could, may, might, must, will, shall, (Swan)

semi-modal the verbs dare, need, and used to which behave rather like modals. (Collins)

main verb /full verb/ lexical verb
A verb phrase often contains one or more auxiliary verbs together with a main verb. The main verb is the verb which expresses the central meaning; auxiliary verbs mostly add grammatical information (for instance they may show that a verb is progressive, future, perfect or passive). Examples: is going, will explain; has arrived; would have been forgotten. (Swan)
Any verb that is not an auxiliary verb. (Collins)
The finite verb in a main clause, e.g. I like classical music. Hearing a knock, hejumped up. Yourfriend will expect us to be ready. (Eastwood)

transitive verb
A transitive verb is one that can have an object. Examples: eat (a meal); drive (a car); give (a present) . See also intransitive. (Swan)
A verb that takes an object, e.g. We enjoyed the meal. The postman brings the letters. (Eastwood)
A verb used to talk about an action or event that involves more than one person or thing, and so is followed by an object; e.g. She’s wasting her money. (Collins)

intransitive verb
An intransitive verb is one that cannot have an object or be used in the passive. Examples: smile; fall; come; go. (Swan)
A verb that cannot take an object, although it may have a prepositional phrase after it, e.g. Something happened. You must listen to me. (Eastwood)
A verb that is used to talk about an action or event that only involves the subject and so does not have an object; e.g. She arrived… I was yawning. (Collins)

link verb /linking verb/ copular verb
Be, seem, feel and other verbs which link a subject to a complement that describes it. Examples: My mother is in Jersey; He seems unhappy; This feels soft. (Swan)
A verb like be, seem, become, look, feel that can take a complement (Eastwood)
A verb that links the subject and complement of a clause; e.g. be, become, seem, appear. (Collins)

base form
The form of a verb that has no letters added to the end and is not a past form; e.g. walk, go, have, be. The base form is the form you look up in a dictionary. (Collins)
The form of a verb without an ending, e.g. come, call, decide (Eastwood)

-s form
The base form of a verb with s on the end, used in the present simple. (Collins)
The form of a verb with s or es added, e.g. The weather looks good. (Eastwood)

21. tense
A verb form that shows the time of an action, event or state. Examples: will go; is sitting; saw. (Swan)
A form of the verb which shows whether we are talking about the present (I refuse, he knows, we are) or the past (I refused, he knew, we were) (Eastwood)
The verb form that shows whether you are referring to the past or the present. (Collins)

present tense: A tense used to describe events taking place in the present, or situations that exist in the present. (Collins)
past tense: A tense used to describe actions or events that took place in the past. See tense for more details. (Collins)

simple tenses: The present simple or past simple tense without an auxiliary, e.g. it opens, it opened (Eastwood)
present simple/simple present: A present verb form that has no auxiliary verb in the affirmative. Examples: He goes there often; I know; I like chocolate. (Swan)
past simple/simple past: A past verb form that has no auxiliary verb in the affirmative. Examples: I stopped; You heard; We knew. (Swan) The past tense without an auxiliary, e.g. it stopped, they left (Eastwood) The use of the past form of a verb to refer to past events; e.g. They waited… It fell over. (Collins)

22. aspect
Grammarians prefer to talk about progressive and perfective aspect, rather than progressive and perfect tense, since these forms express other ideas besides time (e.g. continuity, completion). However, in this book the term tense is often used to include aspect, for the sake of simplicity. (Swan)
A verb can have continuous aspect (is walking, was looking) or perfect aspect (has walked, had looked), or both (have been waiting). (Eastwood)
The use of verb forms to show whether an action is continuing, repeated, or finished. (Collins)

23. perfect
СпойлерПоказать
A verb form made with the auxiliary have + past participle. Examples: I have forgotten; She had failed; having arrived; to have finished. (Swan)
A verb form with have and a past participle, e.g. The film has started. (Eastwood)
A verb form with have and an -ed participle; e.g. I have met him… We had won. (Collins)

past perfect
A verb form made with had + past participle. Examples: I had forgotten; The children had arrived; She had been working, It had been raining. The first two examples are simple past perfect; the last two (with had been + ... ing) are past perfect progressive (or continuous). (Swan)
A form with had and a past participle, e.g. / had answered the letter the week before. (Eastwood)
The use of had with an -ed participle to refer to past events; e.g. She had finished. (Collins)

future perfect
A verb form made with shall/will + have + past participle. Example: I will have finished by lunchtime. (Swan)
A form with will + have + past participle: We will have saved enough money soon. (Eastwood)
The use of will have or shall have and an -ed participle to refer to future events; e.g. I shall have finished tomorrow. (Collins)
24. progressive/ continuous
СпойлерПоказать
A verb form made with the auxiliary be + ... ing. Examples: to be going; We were wondering; I'll be seeing you. (Swan)
A verb form with be and an active participle, e.g. The film is starting now. (Eastwood)
A verb form that contains a form of the verb ‘be’ and an -ing participle; e.g. She was laughing… They had been playing badminton. (Collins)

present continuous a form with the present of be and an active participle, e.g. we are waiting. (Eastwood)

past progressive/continuous
A verb form made with was/were + ... ing. Examples: I was going, They were stopping. (Swan)
A form with the past of be and an active participle: It was raining at the time. (Eastwood)
The use of was or were with an -ing participle, usually to refer to past events; e.g. They were worrying about it yesterday. (Collins)

future progressive/ future continuous
The use of will be or shall be and an -ing participle to refer to future events; e.g. She will be going soon. (Collins)
A form with will + be + active participle: I will be playing golf all afternoon. (Eastwood)
A verb form made with shall/will + be + ... ing. Example: I will be needing the car this evening. (Swan)

past perfect progressive/ past perfect continuous
The use of had been with an -ing participle to refer to past events; e.g. He had been waiting for hours. (Collins)
A form with had been and an active participle: I saw that it had been raining. (Eastwood)

future perfect progressive/ future perfect continuous
the use of will or shall with have been and an -ing participle to refer to future events; e.g. I will have been walking for three hours by then. (Collins)
25. agreement/concord
The choice of the correct verb form after a subject: My ear torts but My ears hurt. (Eastwood)
The relationship between a subject and its verb, or between a number or determiner and its noun; e.g. I look/she looks… one bell/three bells. (Collins)

26. active
An active verb form is one like breaks, told, will help (not like is broken, was told, will be helped, which are passive verb forms). The subject of an active verb is usually the person or thing that does the action, or that is responsible for what happens. (Swan)
Active used for describing verb phrases such as gives, and has made, where the subject is the person or thing doing the action or responsible for the action. (Collins)

27. passive
A passive verb form is made with be + past participle. Examples: is broken; was told; will be helped (but not breaks, told, will help, which are active verb forms). The subject of a passive verb form is usually the person or thing that is affected by the action of the verb. Compare: They sent Lucas to prison for five years (active) and Lucas was sent to prison for five years (passive). (Swan)
The sentence Someone stole my coat is active, but My coat was stolen is passive. A passive verb has be and a passive participle: was stolen. (Eastwood)
Verb forms such as was given, were taken, had been made, where the subject is the person or thing that is affected by the action. Compare with active. past form the form of a verb, often ending in -ed, that is used for the past simple. (Collins)

Понятие оператора важно при образовании вопросов, отрицаний и еще в некоторых случаях – о чем я подробно напишу дальше.
28. operator
СпойлерПоказать
The first or only auxiliary verb, including the modal verbs and do as a dummy verb, in finite clauses. The verbs be and have used as main verbs without do-support are also included. This item ‘operates’ inversion (in interrogative clauses) and the addition of not/-n’t (for negation):
They could have been imagining things
Could they have been imagining things?
They couldn’t have been imagining things
He knows something
Does he know something?
He doesn’t know anything

The verbs be and have used as main verbs can also be operators (when there is no do-support):
Are you ready?
I haven’t any money
Have you any idea what you have just done?

(Note that in CaGEL be and have used in these structures are regarded as auxiliaries, not as main verbs.)
Have and do are not operators but main verbs when they take do-support:
Do you have any idea what you have just done?
He doesn’t have a clue
I didn’t do the housework
Did you do the dishes?
(Aarts)
A verb word which has a key role in forming negative, interrogative and other types of ‘derived’ clauses or sentences in English. The class of operator verbs includes the modal auxiliaries will, can, may, shall, must, would, could, might, should; the finite forms of the auxiliaries have and do; and the finite forms of the verb be (both as an auxiliary and as a main verb). In addition, it includes the negative contractions of these verbs: won’t, can’t, shan’t, mustn’t, wouldn’t, mightn’t, shouldn’t, hasn’t, haven’t, hadn’t, doesn’t, don’t, didn’t, isn’t, aren’t, wasn’t, weren’t. If we think of a ‘basic’ sentence pattern in the form of a positive statement, such as The dog has eaten its dinner, then it is easy to form (a) negative, (b) interrogative and (c) elliptical sentences by means of the operator as follows.
(a) Place not after the operator or replace the operator by its negative contraction: The dog has not (or hasn’t) eaten its dinner.
(b) Place the operator in front of the subject: Has/Hasn’t the dog eaten its dinner?
(c) Delete whatever follows the operator: (The cat hasn’t eaten its dinner, but) the dog has.
An operator can be defined as either a finite auxiliary, or a finite form of the verb be. It will be noted that some positive statements do not have an operator (namely, those with a finite main verb other than be). For the operator rules (a)–(c) to work, these positive statements must be replaced by equivalent statements in which the dummy operator do is introduced:
It rained heavily last month.
(It did rain heavily last month.)*
It didn’t rain heavily last month.
Did/Didn’t it rain heavily last month?
(They said it would rain heavily last month, and) it did
The second sentence above, in parentheses and marked *, does not occur except when the operator is pronounced with stress, often combined with pitch accent. (Leech)
A term used to describe a particular function carried out mainly by auxiliary verbs, although be and have as main verbs can also have an operator function. Operators are the first auxiliary verb in a verb phrase. In the following sentences, the operator is in bold: The fund will take out insurance; Victoria is living in my flat; Sails would have been a hindrance.
In English, the operator is particularly important in the formation of negative and interrogative clauses. In negative clauses, not is inserted after the operator: The United States will not take these people; He is not living in the real world; A reasonable person would not have been frightened. In interrogative clauses, subject–operator inversion takes place: Where have you been? What are you drinking? In negative clauses which do not contain an auxiliary verb, the do auxiliary is used as a ‘dummy’ operator: The price does not include lunch. This rule only applies when the main verb is not be. When it is be, not is inserted after the verb: We are not criminals (in such cases, be as a main verb is functioning as an operator). In yes–no interrogative clauses and wh-interrogatives where the wh-word is not the subject, ‘dummy’ do is also used: Do you want an ice-cream? What did Alan Parker say to you? The main verbs be and have also function as operators in interrogative clauses: Are you mad? Who is he? Have you any bread? (Routledge)
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 09 авг 2021, 14:23, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Причина: исправил ошибку
Katy.Stude
Благодарил (а): 303 раза

Сообщение Katy.Stude »

JamesTheBond пишет: 11 июн 2019, 18:59 своей авторской методике.
Эта объемная работа вызывает исключительно уважение. И как бы хотелось иметь Оглавление для удобной навигации по темам, например, расположить ссылки в самом первом сообщении #1.
Разрешите выразить "коллективное" Спасибо ... :)
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Katy.Stude пишет: 19 авг 2021, 10:04 Разрешите выразить "коллективное" Спасибо ... :)
Большое спасибо! :) Да, я понял, хорошая, думаю, идея – обязательно сделаю потом. Уже и не так много осталось и сделаю оглавление.
За это сообщение автора JamesTheBond поблагодарил:
Katy.Stude
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Unit 124. Русское сказуемое в английской грамматике.

И сразу же постараюсь привести доводы, почему я считаю нужным полностью отказаться от понятия русского сказуемого в английской грамматике.

Во-первых, в ней есть уже традиционно утвердившееся понятие predicate, предложенное еще Аристотелем. Предложение делится на две части: подлежащее – это то, о чем говорится в предложении и сказуемое – то, что говорится о подлежащем.

Изображение
Изображение

И для того, чтобы отказываться от принятой в английском традиции и привносить понятия из русской грамматики, нужны, думаю, серьезные основания и, на мой взгляд, их здесь нет.

1. Возьмем составное глагольное сказуемое:

Я [хочу купить] мороженное.

То есть, дополнение относится к "хочу купить" и, на мой взгляд, это неестественное деление. Думаю, что гораздо лучше такая разбивка:

Я хочу [купить_мороженное].

Т.е. мороженное – это дополнение именно к "купить", а "хочу купить" – это не действие и не состояние, а искусственное объединение двух глаголов. Не стоит разбивать инфинитив, который составляет смысловое целое.
Если человек идет по улице, то все три вот таких предложения означают примерно одно и то же:

Я хочу + [купить мороженное].
Я хочу + [поесть мороженного] (для этого его покупают).
Я хочу + [мороженное].

Первый элемент выражает мое желание, а второй – то, что я, собственно, хочу, и так в английской грамматике и принято:

Subject + verb + object

2. Теперь составное именное сказуемое:

Она [была учителем].

Здесь, с моей точки зрения, логики уже больше – "была учителем" выражает определенное состояние в отличие от действия в

Она [поцеловала] [учителя].

Но в этом предложении тоже выражается состояние, хотя грамматически тоже сказуемое+дополнение:

Она [любила] [учителя].

Поэтому, хотя разница между первым предложением и вторыми двумя очевидна, все-таки мне лично не нравится, что в первом случае два члена предложения, а во втором – три:

[Она] [была – кем? – учителем].
[Она] [любила] – кого? – [учителя].

На мой взгляд, принятая в английской грамматике система проще:

Подлежащее + Глагол + Комплемент (первый случай)
Подлежащее + Глагол + Дополнение (второй случай)

Поэтому, мне кажется, что пусть русские сказуемые будут в русской грамматике, а в английской – так, как в ней принято.

Через некоторое время я продолжу, но, так как в разгаре лето, с несколько меньшей регулярностью :)
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 16 авг 2022, 17:16, всего редактировалось 3 раза.
diggerzz
Благодарил (а): 142 раза

Сообщение diggerzz »

JamesTheBond пишет: 21 авг 2021, 13:02 (Actually) [they] [like like] …
Опечатка или я чего-то не понял?
Пытался изобрести хоть что-то с двойным like, не вышло.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

diggerzz пишет: 25 авг 2021, 20:26
JamesTheBond пишет: 21 авг 2021, 13:02 (Actually) [they] [like like] …
Опечатка или я чего-то не понял?
Пытался изобрести хоть что-то с двойным like, не вышло.
А, спасибо большое, опечатка, конечно - сейчас исправлю.
Последний раз редактировалось JamesTheBond 26 авг 2021, 11:53, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Причина: исправил опечатку :)
Перенесено из форума Персональные темы в форум Основной форум об изучении английского языка 17 авг 2022, 19:00 модератором JamesTheBond

Ответить