Comments and replies

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

acapnotic, thanks )
It looks like I still don't know how to search the web (
Is it incurable, I wonder?
And more: how could I mention the Napoleonic wars? His cap is definitely from much later days - the very late of 1800s, I guess.
On the bright side: anyway, practised writing a few lines )
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Mary May пишет: 11 апр 2020, 11:18 It looks like I still don't know how to search the web (
Is it incurable, I wonder?
Of course it is, because I didn't really do anything special, just googled part of the lyrics, and it brought me a link to this article about the song and the singer, and there I found the link to the video.
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
Mary May
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Mary May, oh, sorry. I had overlooked the negation in your question and actually said the opposite of what I meant. The intended meaning was "It is curable, of course". Not "incurable". :)))
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Mary May пишет: 14 апр 2020, 01:30 Даже как-то неловко делать такие предположения...
Don't feel that way anymore after this:
СпойлерПоказать
Natalie09 пишет: 14 апр 2020, 10:46 ...да потому что вы паникёры.
and this:
СпойлерПоказать
Natalie09 пишет: 14 апр 2020, 11:18
yukla пишет: 14 апр 2020, 10:58 Natalie09, весь мир - театр? :)))
Именно. Но всегда можно выйти в буфет и выпить шампанского, если актёры играют плохо.
Sorry...
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Belka_Teacher,
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... ce=sh/x/im ??
Otherwise... You know :)
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
Belka_Teacher
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Juliemiracle пишет: 17 авг 2020, 14:15 I'm going to somehow follow into @Mary May's footsteps and try to limit my writing to the confines of this blog.
I'm also going to make some comments about other forum posts that I find interesting, adding the links to the source posts, of course.
In my turn, too, I followed into the steps of [mention]well well well[/mention], who was the first of us to start her own thread. The reason she gave was that she needed a safer place, sort of a shelter, to share some of her reflections and/or her comments on what was going on here.
The same/similar with you?
For me, it would definitely be the right thing to do (I mean, not to post too often somewhere outside).
BTW, I had a title on two on methodology to read during the summer.
The summer... What left of it? Why on earth couldn't I start a bit earlier? As usual :(
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

...After this declaration of intent above, made in all seriousness just an hour ago, guess what I did?
I couldn't do any better than browsing the threads that I usually don't and I ended up sharing some "pearls of wisdom" in Флудилка.
Again.
Consistency has never been my middle name :(

Back to your hole and stay there (=here)!
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

nurasique пишет: 12 дек 2020, 10:01 Мне не до ремонта - я на татушку коплю)))
Cabman пишет: 12 дек 2020, 10:58 nurasique, спасибо:) я знала, что татушка - это татуировка, но, честно, подумала, может, имеется в виду что то другое, раз надо копить на это.
:)

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... ut+soutine

If you'd like to read this horror story you should avoid the spoilers above.
It's very short and can worth it :)

A bit of Soutine:
https://www.google.com/search?q=haim+so ... 66&bih=625
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
Cabman
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

About Covid-19

A friend of mine has just sent me a short no-name video which, unfortunately, I could re-share no other way than via WhatsApp.
I've had a few minutes of fun listening to the sketch and so decided to spend a few more minutes to type the text so I could share it with you. Transcribing this three-minute piece wasn't a piece of cake - and you'll see why :)
СпойлерПоказать
...First of all, I had to keep fighting with my in-brain check-speller (the one installed on the PC I had, understandably, to switch off).
Here it is:
As Covid-19 infection remains high at home and around the world, scientists have found the virus's being spread not only by coughs but also by people talking to each other.
Studies show that consonants project the virus to much longer distances than vowels, and certain consonants - so-called plosive sounds - are worst of all. Each time a person makes the sounds P, T, or K they project the virus up to three times further than when they use softer consonants such as F, N, or L.
Based on this new evidence, the government is introducing new rules in stages, to make people's speech less dangerous and slow the spread of Covid-19.
Announcing the new rules, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said, during the first stage, or tier 1, the consonant P will be banned. It must always be replaced with the softer sound, F. Anyone speaking to other feople in a fublic flace will have to
stop using flosive sounds.  Failure to do so could lead to a fine or even frison. The whole fofulation, even members of Farlament, will all have to flay their fart in this.
After a feriod of a few weeks, we will move to tier 2. Tier 1 rules will continue to apply. In addition, the sound T will be banned and must be replaced by the sound N. Although this may cause some initial confusion - for example, neachers in schools will face challenges when neaching the nen nimes nables, we are confident any froblems will be nemporary and the measures under nier nu will help nure (?) the nime of this fandemic.
After further brief feriod, we will bring in nier three. The rules under niers one and nu will conninue, with the addition of the sound K being banned, to be replaced by L. We have loncidered these measureses larefully in line with relommendations from frofessors of Lambridge Universiny. These new rules will affly not only nu English but also nu other languages sfolen in this lountry, inlluding Nurlish, Folish, Fornugese and Inalian.
I urge feofle...

And at this moment I gave up - with just two short sentences left.
Further on, it was something about leeping lalm, and about something we can do nogether to renurn nu normaliny in no nime an all...
Also, it took me a while to guess what Nurlish (language) could be. Can you?

Hope you had a bit of fun :)
Perhaps, someone could find the video as [mention]acapnotic[/mention] once did?
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарили (всего 5):
Yety, Zlatko_Berrin, Verba, acapnotic, Chaika
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Mary May пишет: 13 дек 2020, 21:51 plosive sounds - are worst of all
Plosives and aspiration are so contagious.. =)

And courtesy as a prevention method...
Say 'vous' not 'tu' in French to limit virus spread
French speakers should say ‘vous’ to each other rather than ‘tu’ and avoid colourful French insults, to avoid spraying out spit droplets that could contain the Covid-19 virus, linguists say.
By Liv Rowland
СпойлерПоказать
Experts on speech and language have (with tongue positioned somewhat in cheek) been examining how the way we talk can help cut down the risk of spreading droplets.

It is well known that a cough or sneeze can violently project these out of the mouth, but it also happens to a lesser extent during speech, especially if you use a lot of consonants, the researchers say.

This is especially the case for the ‘plosive’ consonants, such as ‘b’ and ‘p’ explains a linguist from Aix-Marseille University, Médéric Gasquet-Cyrus, in a video made for France Bleu Provence.

This is because contrary to vowels, where the sound is made in the throat and comes out of the mouth or nose without obstruction, in these sounds the lips block the airflow and then it is pushed out again with additional force.

The speech of the typical Marseille resident is notably risky says Dr Gasquet-Cyrus, as it typically involves copious use of words such as putain! [popular swear word meaning ‘prostitute’].

Hence saying something like “Putain! C’est pas possible!” [roughly, "oh for ****’s sake"], is especially dangerous, he explains.

Rather than this word you should go for more polite options, like flute or even better zut, which obstruct the air less violently, he says.

You should also in general avoid insulting people and speaking too loudly, he advises.

Speaking gently has also been recommended by an American team from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), who used a laser to pick up on the number of droplets expelled into the air by repeating the phrase ‘stay healthy’ in a loud voice.

They found that speaking loudly could generate 1,000 droplets per minute, which could stay suspended in the air for at least eight minutes in an enclosed space.

“We noticed that the number of laser flashes increased with the intensity of the speech,” the researchers said.

A linguistics professor from Paris Diderot University, Philippe Martin, told news website BFMTV.com that another factor with consonants is that those which create vibration in the vocal chords are less likely to expel air violently than those which do not (because the vocal chord vibration slows down the air).

“Saying ‘Papa’ or ‘Tata’ [Daddy or Aunty] would seem to be particularly dangerous,” he said.

“We can’t speak without expelling air, but ‘pa’, ‘ta’ and ‘ka’ use voiceless occlusives [consonants formed by creating a brief block of airflow in the vocal tract; also called ‘stops’]. It’s like if you burst a little ball. We therefore expel a lot of air.

“Their voiced cousins, which make the vocal chords vibrate, ‘da’, ‘ga’ and ‘ba’, are similar but expel less air and so they don’t carry as far.”

Fricatives, consonants made by forcing air through a narrowed channel such as tongue against teeth or the soft palate, can also cause problems, said Dr Martin. However again the voiceless fricatives like ‘f’, ‘s’ or ‘ch’ are worse than the voiced ones, ‘v’, ‘z’ and ‘j’.

This explains why words like tu, toi and te, which use voiceless stops, are worse than vous and votre etc… which use a voiced fricative.

“It’s become a joke among researchers at the CNRS,” Dr Martin said. “We’ve been saying we’re going to stop calling each other ‘tu’ and go back to using ‘vous’ so as to avoid the occlusives. Some even said we must ban all the consonants from the French language.”

Did you know?

The French word postillon, referring to the droplets of saliva that can come out of the mouth during speech, originally meant the driver of a post carriage and has several related meanings including, in old-fashioned slang, a small lump of bread containing a message inside used the pass messages inside prisons.

According to the CNRTL national linguistic centre the meaning ‘droplet of saliva’ may have come from the fact that post drivers were considered unrefined, or may be linked to the lump of bread term.
So keep calm and don't spread the virus.
Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

Mary May пишет: 13 дек 2020, 21:51 Perhaps, someone could find the video
Here you go)
За это сообщение автора Zlatko_Berrin поблагодарили (всего 3):
Yety, Verba, Mary May
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Mary May пишет: 13 дек 2020, 21:51 Also, it took me a while to guess what Nurlish (language) could be. Can you?
Turkish it must be. But it's easier to guess from a written word, of course.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

acapnotic пишет: 14 дек 2020, 15:06Turkish
Yes, it is! I got it myself.
But "it took me a while to figure it out", as you would say :)

Also, Yety's just told me that in the last sentence it must be "conquer". To me, the last phrase was just indistinguishable nnnnnnnnn... )
СпойлерПоказать
Мои бедные уши просто свернулись в трубочку. Does anyone know an idiom for this?
Последний раз редактировалось Mary May 14 дек 2020, 15:28, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
zymbronia
Благодарил (а): 195 раз

Сообщение zymbronia »

acapnotic, according to their rules, they replaced 'T' with 'N" and "k' with 'L'
it is TURKISH - it is clear from their rules.
Mary May пишет: 13 дек 2020, 21:51 the consonant P will be banned. It must always be replaced with the softer sound, F.
Mary May пишет: 13 дек 2020, 21:51 the sound T will be banned and must be replaced by the sound N.
Mary May пишет: 13 дек 2020, 21:51 the sound K being banned, to be replaced by L
Keep in mind the word "sound" not "letter"
Последний раз редактировалось zymbronia 14 дек 2020, 15:31, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
Причина: правка
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

mustang,

Kind Punk might be not so wrong here:
СпойлерПоказать
Kind_Punk пишет: 12 фев 2021, 16:07 Провокатор в треде! )
- even if it's a far cry from Lukyanenko's
...У вас есть простой и надежный способ доказать мне, что я неправ...
опубликуйте в своих блогах... Я не поленюсь переслать её {the link to your comment} куда-нибудь, где оценят вашу позицию...
Luckily, we don't have him or the likes as honorary members here... Yet?..
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 22 фев 2021, 15:41 о чем эта ветка не понимаю вообще.
I tried to read that thread from the latest posts backwards, then, in bits, from the middle onwards - with the same discouraging result :)
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 22 фев 2021, 15:41 А алантино видео очень понравилось.
@Alanta, what was it about? Couldn't find it - as I said, I've read only bits and pieces... Just curious :)
Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 19 фев 2021, 21:44 Я надеюсь, тут никто не путает синхронный перевод и устный последовательный.
There, in that case - does it really matter? When the starting point is just to understand what you hear? C'mon...
Dragon27 пишет: 22 фев 2021, 15:21...не Эдиты Пиафы ходят и песни поют <и рот при этом широко открывают, артикулируя :) >
Well, it would be quite problematic to try and imagine the opposite - not opening their mouth when singing.
Maybe, only these guys can manage it:
СпойлерПоказать
On a serious note, what I find especially disgusting in A.'s practices is not his... how to put it?.. sub-standard knowledge of the subject he pretends to teach. And not his ignorant remarks about second-third... N-th language acquisition. And not his tendency to turn a deaf ear to all the questions asked - no matter how clearly and straightforwardly they are put. What I'm revolted by, is his so obvious ambition for total control over his poor (single?) student: dictating them what to do and what not, at the same time claiming to be no more than a partner. Is it sort of a guru-complex? Seems exactly like being a control freak to me. A partner!.. Luckily, they're miles away from each other.

To whom it may concern: you are on Practise your English sub-forum.
Reminding it - just in case ;)
Dragon27
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Dragon27 »

Mary May пишет: 23 фев 2021, 19:42 what was it about? Couldn't find it
It was in the 834-th post in that thread
За это сообщение автора Dragon27 поблагодарил:
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

...Oh, I meant not opening wide...

mustang пишет: 23 фев 2021, 19:50 Что касается изучения языка в школах в младших классах, может ,и вправду стоит запретить, потому что в большинстве случаев толку нет никакого? Ребенок более старшего возраста с нормальным педагогом за пару месяцев освоит то, что в началке обучают за несколько лет .
Well, I partly agree.
At the same time, without all this "nursery" stuff, a vast part of English-language culture would never be covered - just because it's beyond teens/adults' interests. No big loss, you may say, but still...
Besides, it's easier to work on your pronunciation when you're younger.

Mary May пишет: 23 фев 2021, 19:42 To whom it may concern...
- for the (unlikely) occasion A. comes here to make his point :)
Последний раз редактировалось Mary May 23 фев 2021, 20:19, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Zlatko_Berrin

Mary May пишет: 23 фев 2021, 19:42 There, in that case - does it really matter?
Well, mikka sort of thought that A. was a great interpreter. I wanted to dispel that kind of thinking because I highly doubt that that is really the case.
alanta
Благодарил (а): 544 раза

Сообщение alanta »

Mary May пишет: 23 фев 2021, 19:42 Alanta, what was it about? Couldn't find it - as I said, I've read only bits and pieces... Just curious :)
As I see, Dragon27 has already linked the post. In short, it was a video about French kids' alcohol (specifically wine) drinking habits in historical retrospect, so to speak :)
За это сообщение автора alanta поблагодарил:
Mary May
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

Mary May пишет: 23 фев 2021, 19:42 I tried to read that thread from the latest posts backwards, then, in bits, from the middle onwards - with the same discouraging result :)
You know, I really put in some effort. I figured that since so many people are so ardently involved in that discussion, there must something to it that I’m missing. But without the benefit of Astrologer’s superior method my reading comprehension is clearly deteriorating at an alarming rate. I couldn’t make heads or tails of it all. So, the question still remains – what are you guys talking about there?
zymbronia
Благодарил (а): 195 раз

Сообщение zymbronia »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 23 фев 2021, 22:52 what are you guys talking about there?
It is simple - the participants entertain themselves.
Of course the topic is worth being moved to the Fludilka, but it isn't going to be so entertaining any more once it moved there.
alanta
Благодарил (а): 544 раза

Сообщение alanta »

zymbronia пишет: 23 фев 2021, 23:54 the topic is worth being moved to the Fludilka
Oh, no... Please don't throw the thread in that garbage can filled with losing weight piranhas.
Zlatko_Berrin

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 23 фев 2021, 22:52 what are you guys talking about there?
The superiority of the translate-everything-you-see method of learning English over other methods. What did YOU think? :)
Ответить