Comments and replies

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

alanta пишет: 21 фев 2020, 14:16 If you know what native-speakers' writing looks like, in most cases, you'll be able to spot the differencе
- How would you be sure they are what you think they are? I mean, those you regard as worth copying? I'd rather rely on what I read in books/газетенках(!!)/on respectful websites.

No one is asked for their ID, are they?
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

acapnotic пишет: 28 окт 2019, 23:55 Well, I don't think writing is the goal there. The goal is rather boosting the ego or bickering, giving vent to negative emotions.
Well, you might be right;
perhaps, I should have stopped here:
Mary May пишет: 21 фев 2020, 11:22 Would you say here's no place for repetition
Anyway, no matter the reasons behind, the outcome still is a good deal of repetitive posts, no written rules of the boards directly broken.
So, imo, that's a lame excuse for NOT going on English forums. There can't be fewer windbags devoted conversationalists there than anywhere else.
We're all humans, aren't we? )
alanta
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение alanta »

Mary May пишет: 21 фев 2020, 14:43
alanta пишет: 21 фев 2020, 14:16 If you know what native-speakers' writing looks like, in most cases, you'll be able to spot the differencе
- How would you be sure they are what you think they are? I mean, those you regard as worth copying? I'd rather rely on what I read in books/газетенках(!!)/on respectful websites.

No one is asked for their ID, are they?
How can you be sure of anything?
And, well, sometimes people mention their native language in their profile.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Agnosticism ))
Well, as I said, I personally tend to trust educated authors of well-established media (газетенка, for example )) and lexicographers.
alanta

Сообщение alanta »

Michelangelo пишет: 21 фев 2020, 14:29 I heard how a native corrected each sentence in a speech of a C2 certified student.
Having a C2 certificate and writing like a native speaker are not exactly the same thing.
Последний раз редактировалось alanta 21 фев 2020, 16:17, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
За это сообщение автора alanta поблагодарил:
Mary May
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

alanta пишет: 21 фев 2020, 15:55 Having a C2 certificate and writing like a native speaker is not exactly the same thing.
Right you are, but speaking about myself, I won't be able to differentiate the writing or moreover speech of a C2 student from a native's writing or speech. Even if I had some doubts, how could I be sure that I could be right in my guesses as to some flaws? The same with those "writers" who are not natives. I don't know if I will learn how to write or speak from them, but I am sure that most of their mistakes I will be taking for granted.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Ленья пишет: 21 фев 2020, 10:44
Белая Мишка пишет: 21 фев 2020, 10:04 Вот же пипец времени свободного у людей)
Завииииидно!
Пошли на пиво! Пусть они нам позавидуют)
No, I won't envy you drinking beer, even in such a pleasant company )
I'm a nice person )
Yes, I'm free today, and I've already had brunch in downtown with my friends, and I've had a short walk, and I'm going to listen to music late in the evening and in between - yes! - I keep logging in now and then and posting.
Any objections from anyone?
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Mary May пишет: 21 фев 2020, 14:53 There can't be fewer windbags devoted conversationalists there than anywhere else.
Don't you believe in cultural differences? Anyway, it's still not the same as a devoted language learner. Only the latter will fully understand the purpose of such writing and share its goal. A mere conversationalist is an option too, but a worse one.
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Persistent in my misdemeanours... or, felonies?? Subject: Вопросы и жалобы на модерирование форума
Eager Beaver пишет: 24 фев 2020, 13:08
alanta пишет: 24 фев 2020, 12:51 хотя опять-таки как быть с темой Mary May
Очень интересно посмотреть, как будет отредактирована ветка Mary May: заодно и узнаем, это правило для всех или только для тех, кто с модератором не согласен.
So, it's me who's admins/moderators' pet )

As far as I can remember, the last two times we (you(plural you) and I) disagreed, it was you who celebrated a glorious victory, supported by all the "bosses" but one.
In case you forget, they were, (1) about "dislikes" and (2) regarding the principle of "freedom of speech" <in your interpretation> vs ruthless autocracy.

Am I right or am I right?

One more remark - not about me. It's about two people here you, Alanta, can't stop chasing with the fantasies of your vivid imagination.
Leaving aside ethical considerations - whom would they stop, indeed? - let's focus on the "facts".
The facts are, that the two people of a similar age happen to live in the same city, and, not being linguists, out of the blue, got interested in studying English in their, say, thirties+.
More evidence?
Yes! Much more.
* They both started with N. Bonk --- well, many people at that time and even later did. <I didn't. But I'm an arrogant outcast, after all) >
* They both grasped the only opportunity available at the time to speak to Americans --- of course, they did! That was B.I., forgot?
What else, except the background they share, can you incriminate them?
alanta пишет: 24 фев 2020, 13:35 Вот только я все же склонна считать, что If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck
?
Very convincing. A duck? Two of the flock, maybe. Not the same person.

Isn't it ironical, that people who consider themselves democrats, cannot recognise individual features under "categories"?
Maybe, they're just... not what they think they are??

That's all I have to tell you.
Последний раз редактировалось Mary May 24 фев 2020, 23:42, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
alanta

Сообщение alanta »

Mary May пишет: 24 фев 2020, 23:14 Very convincing. A duck? Two of the flock, maybe. Not the same person.
Sorry, I'm not buying that.
Mary May пишет: 24 фев 2020, 23:14 consider themselves democrats
I consider myself neither a democrat nor republican. I have no clue why that matters, though. ))
Mary May пишет: 24 фев 2020, 23:14 cannot recognise individual features
Such as?
Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

back to my notorious thread
Mary May, I well understand your reasons why you suggested moving the thread to a different subforum, but too few people risk sharing their opinion there, so I'd prefer it to stay where it was. ;)

P. S. Sorry for posting it here - my thread's closed.
За это сообщение автора Zlatko_Berrin поблагодарил:
Mary May
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Zlatko_Berrin, that's no problem. Create a new thread with the same topic in whatever subforum you like. You can even copy your original post there. I think this is the easiest and fastest way.
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Zlatko_Berrin, you're on time to settle all the things down )
For it looks like my suggestion addressed to you was taken aboard by moderators, you unaware (?) of their move.
Made with the best of intentions, this decision, however, put me in the line of fire in someone else's clashes.
Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 27 фев 2020, 13:11 Sorry for posting it here
- you're always welcome.

BTW, like the name of your thread )
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Arcade пишет: 08 мар 2020, 01:12 Буду рад любому совету.
Any, really?
Well, if you say so... )
(1)
mikka пишет: 08 мар 2020, 15:45 написание эссе каждый день. Самому.
Вот тут был у нас челенж.
As a person who had a chance to look at this initiative of Chinara's more closely than, maybe, many others, I'd tend to agree with the classic PPP <Present-Practise-Produce> model. That's when students' productive output (here, a piece of writing) goes after they get some input as a model to follow and, then, practise to apply what they've learnt in order to produce some short pieces, and, only after that, try their hand at their "target-goal" writing. Otherwise, it often would end up like this:
Пружина пишет: 08 мар 2020, 18:58 топтанием по кругу и повторением своих же ошибок.
That - more than the lack of feedback - is the main drawback of all such "challenges" like that: with no input, with daily tasks and topics chosen out of the blue, participants just don't have time to prepare for writing itself.
So, I wouldn't advise that you take part in anything like that.

(2)
mikka пишет: 08 мар 2020, 19:18 ...Вот если вы потом этот текст заучите. Тогда да.))Будет польза.
А так...
Yes.
But, in my universe, this
Пружина пишет: 08 мар 2020, 12:05 Несколько раз прослушали, запомнили, записали - прокрутили для проверки. Проанализировали...
is nothing else but learning. So, maybe you
Yety пишет: 09 мар 2020, 10:36 ...не сумели верно прочесть совет Пружины
?
Surely, not the one and only possible method as declared here:
СпойлерПоказать
mikka пишет: 08 мар 2020, 15:45 Единственное, что вам поможет...
Opt пишет: 08 мар 2020, 19:16 Все , что нужно, это...
, but one of. And quite an efficient one. And tried-and-true one. Proved viable with her the author's many students.
Arcade, won't you consider this advice among any others? Worth doing )

(3)
alanta пишет: 09 мар 2020, 12:57 Зачем вообще брать аудио к учебнику, когда в сейчас не проблема найти любое аудио по вкусу или по темам написание текстов по которым на данный момент может быть наиболее актуальным для ТС?
Alanta, as you yourself said, we know nothing of TS's aims and objectives.
But: reading/listening for gist/for the content/for the pleasure of the process is not the same as reading/listening in order to pick up some phrases to use them yourself in your own writing. These are different kinds of reading/listening. That's why - just to be on the safe side rather than overwhelmed by too sophisticated input - graded materials were recommended: materials adapted to fit the present level. Adapted and adaptable - no one says TS has to stick to that very level forever. Because, to use the "target" words in your own writing/speaking safely, without sounding too weird/inappropriate, we should try to familiarise ourselves with them as well as we can - and that's easier if we take a graded text as a model to follow. If we choose a text of a much more advanced level than our present, the chances are high that we would fill our A2 texts with C2+++ phrases, which would sound... unnatural, to put it mildly.
alanta пишет: 09 мар 2020, 12:57 Я помню, что мне как раз нравилось в школе писать изложения. Для меня это было легче, чем сочинения или диктанты, у меня была неплохая память и на слух я хорошо запомнила, чуть ли не до запятой, но развитию письма в целом это вообще никак не помогало, даже на родном языке.
В общем, хомячок, научился относительно грамотно и витеевато :D))) писать благодаря чтению и написанию коротких текстов по интересам в свободное время.
In Russian?
It's not the same, is it? As trying to write in a foreign language
относительно грамотно и витеевато
could require from TS more effort... Unless he's a genius hamster )
Opt пишет: 09 мар 2020, 19:05 Так и сразу бы написали, что делать вам нечего. Вот и решили поделиться любовью к английскому))
Opt, wasn't it you who complained about "unwelcome greeting" to the newbies?
Последний раз редактировалось Mary May 09 мар 2020, 21:53, всего редактировалось 5 раз.
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
alanta

Сообщение alanta »

Mary May пишет: 09 мар 2020, 21:35 alanta пишет: ↑
Сегодня, 12:57
Зачем вообще брать аудио к учебнику, когда в сейчас не проблема найти любое аудио по вкусу или по темам написание текстов по которым на данный момент может быть наиболее актуальным для ТС?

Alanta, as you yourself said, we know nothing of TS's aims and objectives.
But: reading/listening for gist/for the content/for the pleasure of the process is not the same as reading/listening in order to pick up some phrases to use them yourself in your own writing. These are different kinds of reading/listening. That's why - just to be on the safe side rather than overwhelmed by too sophisticated input - graded materials were recommended: materials adapted to fit the present level. Adapted and adaptable - no one says TS has to stick to that very level forever. Because, to use the "target" words in your own writing/speaking safely, without sounding too weird/inappropriate, we should try to familiarise ourselves with them as well as we can - and that's easier if we take a graded text as a model to follow. If we choose the text of much more advanced level than our present, the chances are high, that we would fill our A2 texts with C2+++ phrases, which would sound... unnatural, to put it mildly.
I don't know who those "we" are, but I've never used grader readers or anything of the kind to improve my writing. And yet, I dare to say that my English writing is not too bad.
Mary May пишет: 09 мар 2020, 21:35 alanta пишет: ↑
Сегодня, 12:57
Я помню, что мне как раз нравилось в школе писать изложения. Для меня это было легче, чем сочинения или диктанты, у меня была неплохая память и на слух я хорошо запомнила, чуть ли не до запятой, но развитию письма в целом это вообще никак не помогало, даже на родном языке.
В общем, хомячок, научился относительно грамотно и витеевато :D))) писать благодаря чтению и написанию коротких текстов по интересам в свободное время.

In Russian?
It's not the same, is it? As trying to write in a foreign language
Uhmm... if the "изложение" approach didn't help me improve my native language why would it work for a second one (English or any other)?

(btw, has anyone of the forum's members met any of Пружина's students? Because if no one has then they can't be used as a proof of anything)
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

alanta пишет: 09 мар 2020, 22:24I've never used
alanta пишет: 09 мар 2020, 22:24 if the "изложение" approach didn't help me improve my native language
- not everything is about you, Alanta. Really )
alanta пишет: 09 мар 2020, 22:24 I dare to say that my English writing is not too bad
You're happy with it? Great!
Others may be not (with theirs, certainly, not yours :)) Because
СпойлерПоказать
- again - not everything is about you )
alanta пишет: 09 мар 2020, 22:24 if no one has then...
- as you yourself said, no one here has to prove anything to anyone else.
Your own words?
So how can you demand any evidence?
alanta

Сообщение alanta »

Mary May пишет: 09 мар 2020, 22:42 - not everything is about you, Alanta. Really )
Have I ever said otherwise - that everything is about me? I don't think so. But I'm your (not 'your' personally, of course) average language learner, so why not use myself as an example?
Mary May пишет: 09 мар 2020, 22:42 So how can you demand any evidence?
I demand nothing. It was you who brought up the students as a proof that Пружина's method works
Mary May пишет: 09 мар 2020, 21:35 And quite an efficient one. And tried-and-true one. Proved viable with her the author's many students.
How can you possibly know that this is really the case?
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

alanta пишет: 09 мар 2020, 23:18 How can you possibly know that this is really the case?
alanta пишет: 21 фев 2020, 15:15 How can you be sure of anything?
Exactly!
Still, sometimes we have our beliefs/fantasies...
And even stubbornly stick to them )
alanta

Сообщение alanta »

Mary May пишет: 09 мар 2020, 22:42 alanta пишет: ↑
58 минут назад
I dare to say that my English writing is not too bad

You're happy with it? Great!
Forgot to answer to this.
No, I am not happy with my level of English, my comand of English, etc. But in this case - for this discussion - that doesn't matter. That doesn't change the fact that I've reached a level when (usually) I can make myself understood, and write rather lengthy posts/texts in English.
Evgeny

Сообщение Evgeny »

Hello. I'm newcomer here. Still difficult to find right topic. Where I can find topic for "almost beginners" with simple themes discussion and casual conversations?
gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Evgeny пишет: 22 мар 2020, 12:19 with simple themes discussion and casual conversations?
Start your own: Practise Your English

Or join others.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Hannah пишет: 06 апр 2020, 13:42 Думаю, если бы <before? always?> публиковали статистику по заразившимся гриппом в сезон, то "прирост" таких был бы не 1000 в сутки по стране, а куда выше.

But: a year, or two, or twelve years ago... never before there had been such a critical shortage of ventilators; never before had medical emergency services been so struggling, so suffering from enormous strain - globally!

So, maybe - just maybe - there is a difference? A minor difference?..
Hannah пишет: 06 апр 2020, 13:42 Призывы мыть руки и вовсе смешны, словно до этого мы их не мыли.
Believe me, someone hadn't )

This one is definitely worth saving from (possible? or unlikely?) deletion:
СпойлерПоказать
вы бы лучше о Киеве подумали, что вы о нас так пекетесь? Мне вот, например, вообще неинтересно, что у вас там в Киеве. Я не против вашего инпута, просто как то странно это все. У вас же своя страна есть, где вы живете.
...Worth saving at least as a showcase of how certain unexpected (?) traits of character may reveal themselves under the present circumstances; and - it's even when our local crisis is not here yet!
Divide and ... what? Who gains?
That, too, unfortunately, happens alongside the growing understanding that we - all of us - are inter-connected and inter-dependent.
More than ever. Maybe, more than we'd like to.
No borders.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Yety пишет: 09 апр 2020, 10:26 Но есть множество сообщений от конкретных людей...

Remember the "Canguro" guy?

I'm not among his followers/subscribers, but since he was once mentioned here on the forum when discussing various accents, Mr Google has been offering me his YouTube channel now and then.

But this time, he has something very different to tell all of us about.
СпойлерПоказать
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
Yety
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Subject: Ваши достижения за период пандемии (промежуточный итог)

Получается ли плодотворно провести карантинное время?

diggerzz пишет: 09 апр 2020, 20:59 ...есть время работать больше, но больше работать не стал...
))
I've just received a funny song via Viber - but, unfortunately, with no links attached - so, I'll try to partly write its "lyrics" down, partly retell it. As for its energetic tune, I do believe it must be (or, used to be) sth very popular, but I'm too ignorant to recognize it.

So...
СпойлерПоказать
"Once in every generation people of our land
Are called upon by history to bravely take a stand,"
-
starts a corpulent man in a red military uniform we all remember from the Napoleonic wars, standing tall with the Union Jack as the background.
"Patriotic Britons, hear your country call to you
..." -

after a bird's eye view of green fields and meadows of Britain, we see the (same) man, now stretching in an armchair in his robe, but immediately straightening his posture and snapping a salute at the sound of the words...
"We all must do our duty now
Which means we all must do...
FUCK ALL, FUCK ALL!
All good people, heed your nation's call.
A time of national crisis needn't be a time of stress..."
-
...and then, a number of practical suggestions:
"You could do a spot of decorating
or some gardening,
Hang a picture, put on shelves
or another useful thing;
Marie Kondo all your wardrobes -
You will be so glad you did -
Or finally, write your novel...

Ah, who we're trying to kid...
We'll do
***, ***:
Eat cereal while staring at the wall.
It's an easy way to spend a week or two or five or six -
The time has come for us to chill with or without Netflix.
***, ***
Standing absolutely still
and standing tall,
Reducing infectivity
by ceasing all activity
While time slows to a crawl -
***, ***! -

and so on...

As dictionaries say, fuck all = nothing at all or very little;
here - do nothing at all (?)
Последний раз редактировалось zymbronia 15 апр 2020, 19:57, всего редактировалось 4 раза.
Причина: удалил и ник и цитату
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Mary May
Ответить