Интересные фразы, длинные выражения, поговорки, пословицы, etc

Словарный состав языка, выбор лексических единиц, как учить и запоминать новые слова, тесты и задания на знание лексики, специальная лексика, словари и другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

VictorB
Благодарил (а): 828 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

On/under pain of death - под страхом смерти.
Первоначально встретил вариант upon pain of death
“Will I shame you in front of your fine friends?” she said.
“A dozen of my fine friends will come up to you tonight and ask for your telephone number,” he said.
“Shall I give it to them?”
Upon pain of death,” Willie said.
который в тех словарях, что обычно юзаю, отсутствует:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... n-of-death
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dic ... -something
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/un ... n+of+death
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... 0pain%20of
Нашел его в OED:
https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/136056#eid32451777
Из трех вариантов он, походу, наименее частотный
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... moothing=3
но у Ирвина Шоу, от которого идиомка пришла ко мне, именно он.
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3380 раз

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 09 янв 2023, 02:53 вариант upon pain of death
который в тех словарях, что обычно юзаю, отсутствует
походу, наименее частотный
Где on, там и манерненький upon.))
VictorB пишет: 09 янв 2023, 02:53 у Ирвина Шоу, от которого идиомка пришла ко мне, именно он.
На то он и Ирвин наш Шоу...)))
Клятва, как-никак.)
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Yety пишет: 10 янв 2023, 14:43 Где on, там и манерненький upon.))
Bread Upon the Waters (1981) was his last but one novel.
Yety пишет: 10 янв 2023, 14:43 На то он и Ирвин наш Шоу...)))
Who was born Irwin Shamforoff
СпойлерПоказать
Irwin Shaw (1913–1984) was an award-winning American novelist, playwright, screenwriter, and short story writer. His novel The Young Lions (1948) is considered a classic of World War II fiction. From the early pages of the New Yorker to the bestseller lists, Shaw earned a reputation as a leading literary voice of his generation.
Shaw was born Irwin Shamforoff in the Bronx, New York, on February 27, 1913. His parents, Will and Rose, were Russian Jewish immigrants and his father struggled as a haberdasher. The family moved to Brooklyn and barely survived the Depression. After graduating from high school at the age of sixteen, Shaw worked his way through Brooklyn College, where he started as quarterback on the school’s scrappy football team.
“Discovered” by a college teacher (who later got him his first assignment, writing for the Dick Tracy radio serials), Shaw became a household name at the age of twenty-two thanks to his first produced play, Bury the Dead. This 1935 Broadway hit—still regularly produced around the world—is a bugle call against profit-driven barbarity. Offered a job as a Hollywood staff scriptwriter, Shaw then contributed to numerous Golden Era films such as The Big Game (1936) and The Talk of the Town (1942). While continuing to write memorable stories for the New Yorker, he also penned The Gentle People (1939), a play that was adapted for film four different times.
World War II altered the course of Shaw’s career. Refusing a commission, he enlisted in the army, and was shipped off to North Africa as a private in a photography unit in 1943. After the North African campaign, he served in London during the preparations for the invasion of Normandy. After D-Day, Shaw and his unit followed the front lines and documented many of the most important moments of the war, including the liberations of Paris and the Dachau concentration camp.
The Young Lions (1948), his epic novel, follows three soldiers—two Americans and one German—across North Africa, Europe, and into Germany. Along with James Jones’s From Here to Eternity, Joseph Heller’s Catch-22, Norman Mailer’s The Naked and the Dead, and The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk, The Young Lions stands as one of the great American novels of World War II. In 1958, it was made into a film starring Marlon Brando and Montgomery Clift.
In 1951, wrongly suspected of Communist sympathies, Shaw moved to Europe with his wife and six-month-old son. In Paris, he was neighbors with journalist Art Buchwald and friends with the great French writers, photographers, actors, and moviemakers of his generation, including Joseph Kessel, Robert Capa, Simone Signoret, and Louis Malle. In Rome, Shaw gave author William Styron his wedding lunch, doctored screenplays, walked with director Federico Fellini on the Via Veneto, and got the idea for his novel Two Weeks in Another Town (1960).
Finally, he settled in the small Swiss village of Klosters and continued writing screenplays, stage plays, and novels. Rich Man, Poor Man (1970) and Beggerman, Thief (1977) were made into the first famous television miniseries. Nightwork (1975) will soon be a major motion picture. Shaw died in the shadow of the Swiss peaks that had inspired Thomas Mann’s great novel The Magic Mountain.
Yety пишет: 10 янв 2023, 14:43 Клятва, как-никак.)
А это как-то недопонял, сорян :-)
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
Yety
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 10 янв 2023, 16:41 как-то недопонял
Ну, герой, кяп, даёт торжественное обещание хранить тайну до самой муки смертныя...))
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Yety пишет: 10 янв 2023, 16:53кяп
Кяп, он не против того, чтобы она дала его друзьям номер своего телефона, но не иначе как под стахом смерти. ))
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 10 янв 2023, 17:54 не иначе как под стахом смерти. ))
Оки, без разницы.))
Конечный результат - один: фиг отдвм!)))
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

look (out) after number one
where "number one" is yourself and no one else
и еще с номером 1 (и номером 2)
go number one and go number two
с комментариями англофонов:
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... o.2168108/
https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... e-bathroom
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 15 янв 2023, 18:04 On/under pain of death
Оно, како каза лось, шире:
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... -something
Cf. Fr.sous peine de
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 09 янв 2023, 02:53 On/under pain of
СпойлерПоказать
[/spoiler]
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Fill your boots! (BrE)
Услышал вечером в постановке на BBC Extra
В контекcте проскочило как побуждение действовать по обстановке, но в мозгу отложился вопрос: а причем тут сапоги, и зачем и чем их наполнять? После уточнил значение по словарю, ну и глянул йетмологию - ооочень интересное происхождение :-)
Yety
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 01 мар 2023, 00:31 Fill your boots! (BrE)
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

All revolutions are conceived by idealists, implemented by fanatics, and its fruits are stolen by scoundrels.” -Thomas Carlyle
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Get/have a leg up (on someone/something) - встретил в сериале "Перефирийные устройства" (The Peripheral), 3-я серия.

Там есть один однорукий и безногий персонаж, которому главный герой, предлагая помощь в починке некого средства передвижения, спрашивает: "You want a hand?"
Видя в ответ недоуменный взгляд инвалида, он начинает было извиняться, но когда тот понимает и оценивает "шутку", начинает прикалывать того идиомами, включающими в себя конечности, среди которых и эта, ранее мне незнакомая.
Кстати, кто читал The Peripheral by William Gibson, сериал новый и вполне себе смотрибельный - пока только первый сезон :-)
Вообще-то не моё, если читать, но cмотреть совсем не скучно :-)
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Похоже, любимое выражение полковника Макгрегора...))
Col. Douglas Macgregor: We're going to try and put a happy face on a dead rat
СпойлерПоказать

VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

pray to the enamel god; to worship/hug the porcelain god/goddess
Показалсь забавным чтобы не поделиться )))
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 29 мар 2023, 19:51 Показалсь забавным
О да, для звать ихтиандра - там столько всего, что ... эх, питие мое..
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
VictorB
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Abraham Maslow (тот самый) wrote in 1966,
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, it is tempting to treat everything as if it were a nail."

Выцеплено из уст уже бывшего генералом в таком виде:
if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem has to look like a nail
отсюда:
transcriptПоказать
29 сент. 2013 г.
General Wesley Clark:

Because I had been through the Pentagon right after 9/11. About ten days after 9/11, I went through the Pentagon and I saw Secretary Rumsfeld and Deputy Secretary Wolfowitz. I went downstairs just to say hello to some of the people on the Joint Staff who used to work for me, and one of the generals called me in. He said, "Sir, you've got to come in and talk to me a second." I said, "Well, you're too busy." He said, "No, no." He says, "We've made the decision we're going to war with Iraq." This was on or about the 20th of September. I said, "We're going to war with Iraq? Why?" He said, "I don't know." He said, "I guess they don't know what else to do." So I said, "Well, did they find some information connecting Saddam to al-Qaeda?" He said, "No, no." He says, "There's nothing new that way. They just made the decision to go to war with Iraq." He said, "I guess it's like we don't know what to do about terrorists, but we've got a good military and we can take down governments." And he said, "I guess if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem has to look like a nail."

So I came back to see him a few weeks later, and by that time we were bombing in Afghanistan. I said, "Are we still going to war with Iraq?" And he said, "Oh, it's worse than that." He reached over on his desk. He picked up a piece of paper. And he said, "I just got this down from upstairs" -- meaning the Secretary of Defense's office -- "today." And he said, "This is a memo that describes how we're going to take out seven countries in five years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran."
этой части в этом варианте видео нетПоказать
I said, "Is it classified?" He said, "Yes, sir." I said, "Well, don't show it to me." And I saw him a year or so ago, and I said, "You remember that?" He said, "Sir, I didn't show you that memo! I didn't show it to you!"
Source: Democracy Now!
В массовой культуре укоренилось в ещё более упрощённом виде:
Maslow's hammer
Abraham Maslow is also known for Maslow's hammer, popularly phrased as "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" from his book The Psychology of Science, published in 1966.
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

“In the 17th century, the French statesman Cardinal Richelieu famously said, “Show me six lines written by the most honest man in the world, and I will find enough therein to hang him.” Lavrentiy Beria, head of Joseph Stalin’s secret police in the old Soviet Union, declared, “Show me the man, and I’ll show you the crime.” Both were saying the same thing: if you have enough data about someone, you can find sufficient evidence to find him guilty of something.”

Show/Bring me the man, and I'll show/find you the crime...
Изображение
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Yety пишет: 06 апр 2023, 23:39 “Show me the man, and I’ll show you the crime.”
+1
Изображение
From the horse's mouth: такое можно было увидеть в кабинетах некоторых следователей и в 90-е.
Никогда еще не видел фото молодого Лаврентия Палыча )))
Последний раз редактировалось VictorB 07 апр 2023, 01:09, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Say what you will/want (about): Can it not be yet another effective preface to a questionable comment?
Что ни говори (о), а он...
Почему-то вспомнилось, как только увидел последний пост Yety, где упомянут товарищ Берия ))
Yety
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 07 апр 2023, 01:04товарищ Берия
Needless to say, шо атрибуция этой фразы Берии - штрих антисоветского мифа на Западе. У нас её (оригинал) чаще всего приписывают Сталину, понятное дело...
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

The wisest in our midst have long known that the simplest of questions are often the most loaded.
Irvine Welsh, The Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Life’s Tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.
— Benjamin Franklin
Androbroiler
Благодарил (а): 29 раз

Сообщение Androbroiler »

Are you wearing perfume?
Ответить