Интересные фразы, длинные выражения, поговорки, пословицы, etc

Словарный состав языка, выбор лексических единиц, как учить и запоминать новые слова, тесты и задания на знание лексики, специальная лексика, словари и другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

Sebastian
Благодарил (а): 12 раз

Сообщение Sebastian »

No just government would allow this kind of treatment of its own citizens.
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

"Why is there so much month left at the end of the money?"
СпойлерПоказать
a humorous way of expressing the feeling that one's income is insufficient to cover their expenses for the month. It suggests that, despite one's best efforts to budget and manage their finances, they always seem to run out of money before the end of the month, leaving them with bills or other financial obligations they cannot meet. Essentially, it means that someone has more expenses than they can afford with their current income.
Встретилось вот в книжке в таком контексте:
As it is, money is tight. I’m not saying I’m ready for a shopping cart and the street—I’m earning enough to cover my bills and stay on top of my education loan payments—but as they say, there’s too much month left over at the end of my money. Lucky for me my needs have always been simple.
где также показалось интересным подчеркнутое мною же "I’m not saying I’m ready for a shopping cart and the street" - четко представляется образ бомжа, бредущего по улице с тележкой, в которую сложены все его пожитки...
Kind_Punk
Благодарил (а): 172 раза

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

VictorB пишет: 31 май 2023, 17:40 ready for a shopping cart and the street
A shopping trolley is a luxury ) It can be worse -

Have you seen the old girl
Who walks the streets of London
Dirt in her hair and her clothes in rags
She's no time for talking
She just keeps right on walking
Carrying her home in two carrier bags
За это сообщение автора Kind_Punk поблагодарил:
VictorB
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Kind_Punk пишет: 01 июн 2023, 20:58 Have you seen the old girl
+1
Впервые улышал. Почему-то он в свое время как-то прошел мимо меня ))
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

faked and baked and looking good - maybe said about a woman who has used artificial tanning or self-tanning products to achieve a tanned skin tone.
And not only that, imho - наверное там еще может быть и косметика какая-то особая (fake bake - фирма ?), и может быть какие-то тонкие хирургические вмешательства - тоже faked something as the result , нет? Поправьте, если что ))
Короче - вся при всём, если уж and looking good ) Взято из книжки, которую читаю ))
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

VictorB пишет: 07 июн 2023, 01:33 faked and baked and looking good
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... and%20Bake

Because of the fake she looks baked )
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Kind_Punk пишет: 10 июн 2023, 15:11 https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... and%20Bake
Вообще-то Fake Bake - брэнд средств для загара с более чем 25-летним опытом разработки и производства революционных средств для загара (из Википедии).
Вот как это "faked and baked and looking good" восприняла героиня книжки, написанной под псевдонимом Nina Abbot многими любимого автора цикла про Наладчика (слесаря - ремонтинка ? lol!) Джека:
She pulled open her coat to reveal her workout duds: a two-piece ensemble with a halter top and shorts the same vermilion as her lips and nails. She had a narrow waist, gently swelling hips, all sheathed in smooth, evenly tanned skin.
She wiggled her hips. “Faked and baked and looking good.”
I knew what that meant: breast implants and a tanning booth. By reflex I opened my mouth to warn her about too much UV exposure, but snapped it shut. Like she’d listen.
— from Rx Murder
Так что, что там faked, а где и как baked... ))
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

VictorB пишет: 10 июн 2023, 17:38 faked, а где и как baked
Хотя да, автор любит каламбурить )
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

within toppling distance
СпойлерПоказать
- close enough to something that may fall or topple over if it is pushed or pulled.
For example, if someone says that a stack of books is placed within toppling distance of a precariously balanced vase, it means that the books are close enough to potentially cause the vase to fall if they were accidentally bumped or disturbed.
In a broader sense, "within toppling distance" can also be used metaphorically to describe a situation where something or someone is at the risk of collapsing or failing due to external factors pressures.
Никогда раньше не встречалось - чего не скажу o within striking/spitting distance - а вот встерилось в Specimens by Fred Saberhagen:
The skyline of central Chicago loomed within toppling distance on her right, and the gray, classically-proportioned bulk of the Museum came into view, low and sprawling, a mile ahead.
Не могу слёту сообразить, имеется ли что-то подобное в русском, кроме как "в опасной близости от", как, например, в ситуации курения под балконом, на котором старушка поливает цветы из трёхлитровой банки с водой ))
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Monday morning quarterback - someone who second-guesses something with the benefit of hindsight.
Несколько примеров употребления:
1. After the team's loss, everyone was Monday morning quarterbacking the coach's decisions.
2. It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback and criticize the quarterback's interceptions, but he was under a lot of pressure.
3. The CEO was accused of Monday morning quarterbacking the marketing team's strategy after the company's sales didn't meet expectations.
4. The political pundits on TV were Monday morning quarterbacking the presidential debate, analyzing every word and gesture.
5. Don't be a Monday morning quarterback and criticize your friend's decision to quit their job without knowing all the facts and reasons behind it.

Подробнее
СпойлерПоказать
The phrase "Monday morning quarterback" or "Monday morning quarterbacking" is often used to describe the act of criticizing or second-guessing a decision or action after it has already taken place, particularly if the criticism comes from someone who did not have to make the decision or face the same circumstances at the time. Here are a few examples of the use of this phrase:

Sports Analysis: In sports, analysts and fans often engage in Monday morning quarterbacking by critiquing the decisions made by coaches or players in a game after it has ended. For example, questioning a coach's play calling or a player's performance.

Political Commentary: Politicians and political commentators are frequently accused of engaging in Monday morning quarterbacking when they criticize the decisions or policies of their opponents after the fact, without having to deal with the same challenges themselves.

Business Decisions: In the business world, individuals might engage in Monday morning quarterbacking by scrutinizing the strategies or actions taken by companies, CEOs, or executives, especially if the outcome is unfavorable. This can occur in boardrooms, industry analysis, or even casual conversations.

Personal Relationships: In day-to-day life, people occasionally engage in Monday morning quarterbacking when discussing relationships or personal decisions. For instance, friends might offer unsolicited advice on how someone should have handled a disagreement with their partner, without having been present during the actual situation.

Historical Events: When looking back at historical events, historians or commentators may engage in Monday morning quarterbacking by analyzing the decisions made by leaders and military commanders, speculating on alternative courses of action, or expressing opinions on what could have been done differently.

These examples illustrate how the term "Monday morning quarterbacking" is used across various contexts to describe the act of critiquing or offering hindsight-based opinions on past decisions or actions.
А еще у Фрэнка Синатры есть песня с таким названием ))
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

VictorB пишет: 30 июл 2023, 01:31 Monday morning quarterback - someone who second-guesses something with the benefit of hindsight.
Встретилось в таком вот контексте (дополнительный пример употребления):
Молодой врач, исходя из объективного отсутствия медицинских показаний для дальнейшего пребывания больной в стационаре и на основании письменного заявления больной, выписывает ее из больницы. На следующий день больная умирает дома. Данная ситуация обсуждается с более опытным врачом.
“Do you think I should have kept her another night?”
“Of course.”
“Oh.” My heart plummeted. “But—”
Sam held up his hand. “But I’m speaking from the perspective of a Monday morning quarterback. I know she had a second anaphylactic reaction and I know that the best place to have one is in a hospital. So, yes, keeping her another night would have saved her life.”
Rx Murder by F. Paul Wilson & Nina Abbott
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

wouldn’t be caught/seen dead (doing something)
Paradoxically, I am about to climb a mountain on Christmas Day with a man named Larry Davis. Larry has climbed Mount Monadnock in southwestern New Hampshire every day for the last five-plus years. I will join him on ascent #2,065.

The trip up to New Hampshire will involve a tiny plane from Boston. I tear my medicine cabinet apart like Billie Holliday and still only uncover one Xanax. The hiking boots the outdoor adventure magazine sent me to buy—large, ungainly potatolike things that I have been trying to break in for the past four days—cut into my feet and draw blood as if they were lined with cheese graters. I have come to hate these Timberlands with a fervor I usually reserve for people. Just think, the shoes I wouldn’t be caught dead in might actually turn out to be the shoes I am caught dead in.The hiking boots the outdoor adventure magazine sent me to buy—large, ungainly potatolike things that I have been trying to break in for the past four days—cut into my feet and draw blood as if they were lined with cheese graters. I have come to hate these Timberlands with a fervor I usually reserve for people. Just think, the shoes I wouldn’t be caught dead in might actually turn out to be the shoes I am caught dead in.
—from Fraud, the collection of essays by David Rakoff
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

all that glitters is not gold - хорошо известный афоризм от Вильяма нашего Шекспира, интересный, кмк,
могущим возникнуть чувством несколько сомнительной грамматичности/логичности этого высказывания, а именно:
Как может всё – конечно включая и золото, которое уж точно блестит – что блестит, не быть (именно или в том числе и) золотом?
С Not all that glitters is gold такого чувства не возникает.
Ссылка на то, откуда у этого поста ноги выросли:
https://www.dailywritingtips.com/all-ar ... e-not-all/
Dragon27
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Dragon27 »

А у Толкина так вообще "All that is gold does not glitter".

И в такой и в такой форме наиболее буквально для меня звучит как будто пересечение множества объектов, которые glitter, и объектов, которые gold — пустое.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

(straight) out of/from central casting
A middle-aged beehived waitress straight out of central casting approached and gave Trav a motherly smile. Her name tag read Carlene.
My grandfather looks like a cowboy from central casting, with his boots, Stetson hat, and mouth full of chewing tobacco.
With his spiky hair and ripped T-shirt, Hamilton could be a rugged glaciologist straight from central casting.
How the idiom originated:
https://www.centralcasting.com/what-doe ... ting-mean/
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

in the barrel
Встретилось в таком вот контексте:
Finally I stepped out of the office. The last thing I did before leaving was sign out to Sam. Though he’d opted out of Saturday office hours, he stayed in the weekend call rotation, and this was his weekend in the barrel.
Понравилось именно своим предполагаемым(?) происхождением ))
Кому интересно, вариант анекдота (warning: "неприличка"!) полностью здесь.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

what's not to like?
This movie has action, romance, and comedy all in one. What's not to like?
Мне встретилось в конексте обсуждения наличия корыстного мотива в действиях подозреваемого:
Trav bopped the steering wheel with his fist. “Nothing in this is straightforward. We’ve got a guy who lost his wife two days ago but doesn’t look all that unhappy.”
“If they weren’t getting along—and from what I saw, they weren’t—and if he’d rather be out catting around instead of married, and if he was a cold-hearted creep—”
“That’s not an if in his case.”
“—then he might see Marge’s death as some sort of gift: No messy, expensive divorce, and he keeps all their assets, plus he gets an extra million-two in his pocket.”
“So you’re saying, given all those ifs, what’s not to like?
Чего еще надо?/Что тебя не устраивает?

Как вариант - What's not to understand?
- I've explained this math problem ten times. What's not to understand?
- What's not to understand? You have to go to school. It's the law.

A: I don’t get it.
B: What’s not to understand? It’s pretty straightforward!

И чего тут не понятно/непонятного?
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

go off half-cocked (US)
go off at half-cock (UK)

Make sure none of your men go off half-cocked and ruin this operation.
Let’s not go off at half-cock. We must get enough people together before we start the meeting

half-cocked, the origine:
https://idiomorigins.org/origin/half-cocked
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Play silly buggers

Мне, в книжке британского автора, встретился вариант ""play silly beggars"
She glared at the console, assuming she had touched something accidentally and answered a phone call. “Rupert? Why are you putting on a silly voice?”
“It’s not Rupert,” the voice replied. “And it might surprise you to learn that your vehicle is no longer under your control.”
Sofia laughed. “It’s never under my control, darling. That’s why I have people. To make sure things are controlled for me.”
“Alas, I am not one of your people. However, I am in charge of your destination.”
“Good for you. Now can you stop playing silly beggars and put Rupert on, please.”
Yes, a valid alternative:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/play_silly_beggars
Хотя странно, что play silly buggers, according to freedictionary.com, is primarily heard in UK and Australia.
I'm sort of puzzled ...
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

VictorB пишет: 18 авг 2023, 00:19 I'm sort of puzzled ...
Кажись важное пропустил, а щас заметил: то, что с beggars эвфемизм того. что с buggers ))
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

baby shower
Встретилось в таком контексте:
Many of her friends were now cohabiting or married and starting families. Libby had lost count of the amount of baby showers she’d attended, or the number of times friends asked if she’d found someone to replace her ex-fiancé, William, yet.
и в голове сразу "обмывать ножки", а глянул в словарь... Получается, что в их традиции (не как у нас, по факту рождения младенца) еще до родов специальную вечеринку с "ливнем подарков" устраивать? Хотя, конечно, детские вещи начинают прикупаться еще до родов, но чтобы заранее именно дарить их (что, с пожеланием успешных родов, что ли?) - не значит ли это, типа, искушать судьбу, как и день рождения праздновать до даты потому, что она на понедельник выпадает? :-)
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

in one's heart of hearts = в глубине души - хоть и легко опознаваемо в тексте, например:
In her heart of hearts, Libby knew that it was time to admit defeat. The man with no name would never be found.
а надо бы крепко запомнить ))
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

wrangle for an ass's shadow - to argue over trivial matters

Origin: the expression derives from a Greek myth about a traveler who borrows an ass and then gets into a fight with the ass's owner because they both want to sit in the ass's shadow to stay out of the sun.

It don’t make (me) no nevermind (very informal) = It doesn’t matter to me
Зацепило своей "неграмматичностью" ))
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

a private end to serve
интересно значением (5) слова end - не часто встретишь, да, но все же:
The more I saw of him, the more certain I felt that he had some private end to serve in coming to Brighton.
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
Ответить